Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack done for the year/will we replace Mack after this season? ((Merge))

Happy2BeHere

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Sorry to hear this news for Mack.  Hopefully Reich utilizes Taylor properly and doesn’t make him the RB2 behind Hines.  It’s a shame I even have to worry about that. Reich lost a few IQ points as far as I am concerned after yesterday. 

Agree. I don't mean to disparage Hines...because he did score a couple of nice TDs yesterday...but he averaged 5 yards/touch...and more than half of his touches were receptions. So giving a RB like that 15+ touches/game is not a recipe for an explosive offense...which was THE stated goal of the offseason for the offense.

Of course they didn't play on Mack getting hurt...but this is why they drafted Taylor...and why they are carrying Wilkins. 

Another thing that I didn't like about the JB play call. Taylor had just broke off a huge chunk yard receiving play where he almost scored. Reich should have given Taylor two chances to pound it in and score his first NFL TD. Instead...he put JB in and ran that dumb play.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Agree. I don't mean to disparage Hines...because he did score a couple of nice TDs yesterday...but he averaged 5 yards/touch...and more than half of his touches were receptions. So giving a RB like that 15+ touches/game is not a recipe for an explosive offense...which was THE stated goal of the offseason for the offense.

Of course they didn't play on Mack getting hurt...but this is why they drafted Taylor...and why they are carrying Wilkins. 

Another thing that I didn't like about the JB play call. Taylor had just broke off a huge chunk yard receiving play where he almost scored. Reich should have given Taylor two chances to pound it in and score his first NFL TD. Instead...he put JB in and ran that dumb play.

Lol.  That JB play call was just awful.  My friend who is also a Colts fan and I could not help but laugh when he got blown up.  I was like what are they doing? Just give the rock to Taylor and block!  Reich had my blood pressure up yesterday trying to be too cute.  

Hines had a nice game yesterday.  I like him.  Reich use of him concerns me though.  Lining him up at the goal line on 4th and one with Taylor on the sideline was just ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Lol.  That JB play call was just awful.  My friend who is also a Colts fan and I could not help but laugh when he got blown up.  I was like what are they doing? Just give the rock to Taylor and block!  Reich had my blood pressure up yesterday trying to be too cute.  

Hines had a nice game yesterday.  I like him.  Reich use of him concerns me though.  Lining him up at the goal line on 4th and one with Taylor on the sideline was just ridiculous. 

Hines is good for some nice plays each game when used right...but he's inefficient (45 yards on 8 catches?)...and really shouldn't be a volume guy.  And he should never be the option on a 4th and short in close. On that same set of downs...Reich also ran him on 3rd and 4. I think Reich thinks he can outsmart the defense there.

But the issue is that Hines is not a good runner and if the hole isn't there to run through mostly untouched...he's not going to break through tackles and get the yardage...which is exactly what we saw.

As Taylor shakes off the rookie jitters...he (or Wilkins) should be handling the vast majority of carries...especially in short yardage situations.

16 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But the issue is that Hines is not a good runner and if the hole isn't there to run through mostly untouched...he's not going to break through tackles and get the yardage...which is exactly what we saw.

He's done decent going up the middle in his career. The Colts shouldn't him up the middle again and again, but here and there is OK.  Never on 4th and 1 in the red zone.    Just never!   Especially never when he is the only RB back there.  

3 minutes ago, MTC said:

Massive bummer for Mack. Especially in a contract year.

Wonder if they will bring back Jonathan Williams.

I believe Detroit just promoted him to active roster.  He did produce though that's for sure, not sure if there would be any way they could work something out with Detroit. 

38 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Did you do that on purpose?  You do realize that the proper word there is either "specific" or more appropriately, "pendantic?"

Yep, definitely on purpose. It's just tongue-in-cheek after correcting someone else's grammar.

• Shive changed the title to Mack done for the year (Merge)
55 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Did you do that on purpose?  You do realize that the proper word there is either "specific" or more appropriately, "pendantic?"

You really didn't know that I was joking?  Poking fun at myself for correcting someone else's grammar?

Maybe I was too oblique...

• Nadine changed the title to Mack done for the year/will we replace Mack after this season? ((Merge))
On 9/13/2020 at 5:58 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

Feel so bad for the guy.

I really think his vision is a big underrated part of his game. I see Hines and even JT leaving a lot of yards that Mack would’ve otherwise found to exploit. That’s why I like Wilkins, always seems to find the gaps.

Feel bad for him too.  This injury probably cost him millions.  I don't think he was going to get a big fat contract after this year with anyone but he could have probably pulled a 4 to 5 million a year contract if he had a good year.  Now he'll probably be stuck on a min salary prove it deal.  

Which quite frankly is a reason why we might consider re-signing him.  These injuries take time to come back from but having Mack for another year on a small 1 year prove it deal could be helpful.

On 9/14/2020 at 11:23 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would say that all those threads and questions about if Taylor would get 1,000 yards this year are kinda mute now.  He will now be the lead back and if he doesn't get 1,000 yards this season, I would say it would be viewed as a disappointment.  

If Taylor doesn't get 1,000 yards this year (barring injury) you could just about call him a bust after his rookie year.  Running backs don't take as much time to develop as most other positions.  So you can kind of make the call after one season with an RB. 

On 9/14/2020 at 1:33 PM, shasta519 said:

Hines is good for some nice plays each game when used right...but he's inefficient (45 yards on 8 catches?)...and really shouldn't be a volume guy.  And he should never be the option on a 4th and short in close. On that same set of downs...Reich also ran him on 3rd and 4. I think Reich thinks he can outsmart the defense there.

As Taylor shakes off the rookie jitters...he (or Wilkins) should be handling the vast majority of carries...especially in short yardage situations.

I believe Frank is trying to make Hines a Darren Sproles. So much so he's not able to use him properly. 

Im not saying I know how. 

Right now Reich needs to prove it to me that he's a good coach. I am worried about repeats of completely unprepared football... they could do great for a while... but eventually its like there is this looming figure of a team that lays an egg every once in a while. 

Man, total bummer he is hurt but few of us are surprised.  I personally hope he is not resigned even on an incentive based deal. Every year he is hurt and his best season was barely over 1k yards without a top 5 OL that played the entire year.   He has given the Colts the best he could and his career will be downhill from here and will most likely be out of the league after 2-3 more seasons.  It’s unfortunate but this happens with RBs all the time. Please just move on and cut losses bc talented employees that never  live up to their potential are more aggravating than the bad ones. 

• 1 month later...

Good news for Taylor. I have to wonder whether it's Mack's high character or if it's him praying the Colts will value him enough to re-sign him next year. Probably quite a bit of both. Either way, glad he's putting in the effort for the team.

38 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Good news for Taylor. I have to wonder whether it's Mack's high character or if it's him praying the Colts will value him enough to re-sign him next year. Probably quite a bit of both. Either way, glad he's putting in the effort for the team.

He's collecting game checks...so you would like to think this is more of a common thing for players. I can't relate...and I am not a psychiatrist...but I would think sticking to your daily routine (as much as possible) might be really helpful during a traumatic event...especially one that might jeopardize your immediate future and keep you from playing the game you love.

Except instead of weights (or whatever his regimen was)...he does rehab work...and instead of taking reps in practice or at games...he's on the sidelines watching and helping.

I think Mack is done as a Colts RB.  Unfortunately he went down with an injury.  The RB position is already filled by Taylor and he will be the starter for years to come unless he gets injured often.  We always have the draft to find a RB if we need a backup for Taylor.  

Archived