Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack done for the year/will we replace Mack after this season? ((Merge))


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You mean thank god Ballard drafted a RB and we were prepared to lose the starter

Good news for Taylor. I have to wonder whether it's Mack's high character or if it's him praying the Colts will value him enough to re-sign him next year. Probably quite a bit of both. Either way, gla

Over Mike Hart?   I think not. 

I feel really bad for Mack. But if there is a silver lining...at least it happened at the very beginning of the season...and can hopefully get right before the start of next season.

 

It's Taylor time though. He should be getting 25+ touches/game now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barry Sears said:

Just got an alert from NFL app...MRI shows tear of Achilles and Mack is done for the year.

 

Feel really badly for him...he was off to a good start yesterday from what I read (game not shown in my area)

Yeah, Mack probably played his last down as a Colt. Really unfortunate. Taylor better be as good as Ballard thought or we are in trouble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel bad for him in a contract year.

 

Does this however make his price more manageable to re-sign him to back up JT moving forward? We suddenly go from $6 mil. per year (if he had a good year) to possibly $3-4 mil. per year for a guy that knows our system?? That might be the silver lining to me if he makes a full recovery.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Feel bad for him in a contract year.

 

Does this however make his price more manageable to re-sign him to back up JT moving forward? We suddenly go from $6 mil. per year (if he had a good year) to possibly $3-4 mil. per year for a guy that knows our system?? That might be the silver lining to me if he makes a full recovery.


That’s true, but the question is - will he ever be the same?  Not a lot of RBs return to form after that injury.  I really feel bad for him.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Feel bad for him in a contract year.

 

Does this however make his price more manageable to re-sign him to back up JT moving forward? We suddenly go from $6 mil. per year (if he had a good year) to possibly $3-4 mil. per year for a guy that knows our system?? That might be the silver lining to me if he makes a full recovery.

 

I think he was going to be looking for well more than $6m/year, based on what RBs have been getting recently. I could see him re-signing for one year, $4m now. But I don't see why the Colts would do it, we have a pretty good stable of backs already, and Mack won't be ready to play again for at least a year. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, Mack probably played his last down as a Colt. Really unfortunate. Taylor better be as good as Ballard thought or we are in trouble. 

You mean thank god Ballard drafted a RB and we were prepared to lose the starter

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Superman said:

 

I think he was going to be looking for well more than $6m/year, based on what RBs have been getting recently. I could see him re-signing for one year, $4m now. But I don't see why the Colts would do it, we have a pretty good stable of backs already, and Mack won't be ready to play again for at least a year. 

 

The good news for him is that it happened in game 1, he can work on the surgery and recovery sooner than a late season similar injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

You mean thank god Ballard drafted a RB and we were prepared to lose the starter

We'll see. he looks solid as a pass-catcher, but I don't have confidence in his ability to run just yet. He'll definitely get his chances though next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Just got an alert from NFL app...MRI shows tear of Achilles and Mack is done for the year.

 

Feel really badly for him...he was off to a good start yesterday from what I read (game not shown in my area)

:sigh:  seems like every year, the first game, we lose a stud to an injury.  Luckily we have JT in the wings.  Time to step up BIG time kiddo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sucks for Mack and the Colts.

 

I see the silver lining in it though. We for sure wont be giving him a long term deal for a lot of money this offseason as I was worried could be a possibility. Also will get a chance to make sure Taylor is who we hope he can be.

 

As has been stated, might bring him back on a cheap 1yr deal if recovery is going good, but most likely has played his last down for the Colts.

 

Taylor's time to shine. 

Hines will do his thing.

Thankful we still have Wilkins in the stable.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would say that all those threads and questions about if Taylor would get 1,000 yards this year are kinda mute now.  He will now be the lead back and if he doesn't get 1,000 yards this season, I would say it would be viewed as a disappointment.  

 

"Moot"  (Sorry to be so pacific)

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If this team was going to suffer a big injury, this is the position where they are best equipped to handle it. They still have a pretty enviable stable of backs to choose from. Feel bad for Marlon Mack having this happen in the first game of a contract year. Tough break for the kid.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

The good news for him is that it happened in game 1, he can work on the surgery and recovery sooner than a late season similar injury.

 

Yeah, hopefully he can get ready to practice in training camp next year. But my guess is it will be with a different team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Feel bad for him in a contract year.

 

Does this however make his price more manageable to re-sign him to back up JT moving forward? We suddenly go from $6 mil. per year (if he had a good year) to possibly $3-4 mil. per year for a guy that knows our system?? That might be the silver lining to me if he makes a full recovery.

 

At this point...he will likely get some type of incentivized deal...with a small base. Hopefully he can get back before the start of next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would say that all those threads and questions about if Taylor would get 1,000 yards this year are kinda mute now.  He will now be the lead back and if he doesn't get 1,000 yards this season, I would say it would be viewed as a disappointment.  

 

Yep...if he can stay healthy...he should easily get the volume to get 1,000 yards. 

 

And he showed yesterday that he is the most dynamic receiving back on this roster as well. Taylor should be getting a huge chunk of the passing game work as well.

 

He has an outside shot at OROY now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant say i didn't expect it at some point this season. Week 1 sucks though. The Taylor pick up is looking good but people forget about Wilkins he hasn't really gotten a chance. This could be it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe they'll bring back Nix...

 

I read that the Colts never had a chance to add the FB "element" into the offense . COVID just screwed things up too much. I'm doubting they try to add it now . But what do I know...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Yeah, hopefully he can get ready to practice in training camp next year. But my guess is it will be with a different team. 

 

 

I would think highly doubtful he comes back to the Colts next year. He certainly needs to find the best deal that includes compensation and opportunity . Thus the obvious "best path" for him is to check out the market. I for the life of me cannot see why that would be with the colts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dw49 said:

 

 

I would think highly doubtful he comes back to the Colts next year. He certainly needs to find the best deal that includes compensation and opportunity . Thus the obvious "best path" for him is to check out the market. I for the life of me cannot see why that would be with the colts.

 

OL and blocking scheme familiarity. If he wants a 1 yr. deal to showcase his best for the future, he'd rather do it with a team whose OL is a good one. On top of coming back from an injury, if he has to go to a team with a sub-par OL and/or different blocking scheme, it makes his comeback that much less effective, IMO. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

 

I would think highly doubtful he comes back to the Colts next year. He certainly needs to find the best deal that includes compensation and opportunity . Thus the obvious "best path" for him is to check out the market. I for the life of me cannot see why that would be with the colts.

I don't think it is likely, but this definitely changed the odds a bit.  With another 1000 yard season, he would be cashing in with a team.  Now there will be many less interested teams and the $$ value will be much lower.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

OL and blocking scheme familiarity. If he wants a 1 yr. deal to showcase his best for the future, he'd rather do it with a team whose OL is a good one. On top of coming back from an injury, if he has to go to a team with a sub-par OL and/or different blocking scheme, it makes his comeback that much less effective, IMO. 

 

For him, I agree, the Colts would be the best fit for one more year. Rehab, familiarity, and all it takes to get a chance is an injury (as we see today). But with the cap expected to go down significantly, and the fact that we have three young backs on rookie deals, why pay the premium for Mack when he's probably not going to be 100%? I'd rather sign a healthy vet for competition, stay on the lookout for Jonathan Williams again, whatever. 

 

If he wants to come back for vet minimum, absolutely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

"Moot"  (Sorry to be so pacific)

shocked how dare you GIF by Nightcap

 

23 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Cant say i didn't expect it at some point this season. Week 1 sucks though. The Taylor pick up is looking good but people forget about Wilkins he hasn't really gotten a chance. This could be it.

I've always liked what I've seen from Wilkins and think we use him way too infrequently. I know he's had a few issues with ball security, but he usually rips off pretty long runs whenever he gets into the game.

 

20 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

I read that the Colts never had a chance to add the FB "element" into the offense . COVID just screwed things up too much. I'm doubting they try to add it now . But what do I know...

That and Nix apparently didn't bring any ST or receiving ability. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

For him, I agree, the Colts would be the best fit for one more year. Rehab, familiarity, and all it takes to get a chance is an injury (as we see today). But with the cap expected to go down significantly, and the fact that we have three young backs on rookie deals, why pay the premium for Mack when he's probably not going to be 100%? I'd rather sign a healthy vet for competition, stay on the lookout for Jonathan Williams again, whatever. 

 

If he wants to come back for vet minimum, absolutely. 

 

No one is even mentioning that JT will probably be firmly entrenched as the #1 Rb. I would think he would rather go to a team that will "probably" have a bigger need than the Colts. But pretty easy for me to be right on this one as the Colts are 1 of a possible 30 teams. 

Anyway ... what a horrible break for a really good kid that was in his contract year. That's really a shame .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

No one is even mentioning that JT will probably be firmly entrenched as the #1 Rb. I would think he would rather go to a team that will "probably" have a bigger need than the Colts. But pretty easy for me to be right on this one as the Colts are 1 of a possible 30 teams. 

Anyway ... what a horrible break for a really good kid that was in his contract year. That's really a shame .

 

For opportunity, I agree. I just wonder whether another team is going to eager to sign an above average back in Year 5 coming off an achilles, and for how much. No one is going to be counting on him as the lead back. If the money is the same, I would think he'd rather go back to the Colts. 

 

Either way, he'll need to be healthy, and then he'll need a break to get back near the top of a rotation. 

 

And yeah, it sucks for him. I think the plan was to ride him hard all season and let him go get a nice contract in FA. That plan is gone now. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear this news for Mack.  Hopefully Reich utilizes Taylor properly and doesn’t make him the RB2 behind Hines.  It’s a shame I even have to worry about that. Reich lost a few IQ points as far as I am concerned after yesterday. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

For opportunity, I agree. I just wonder whether another team is going to eager to sign an above average back in Year 5 coming off an achilles, and for how much. No one is going to be counting on him as the lead back. If the money is the same, I would think he'd rather go back to the Colts. 

 

Either way, he'll need to be healthy, and then he'll need a break to get back near the top of a rotation. 

 

And yeah, it sucks for him. I think the plan was to ride him hard all season and let him go get a nice contract in FA. That plan is gone now. 

 

It's compounded by the fact that next offseason will have a handful of FA RBs who can fill roles...and a loaded draft class. I think it was always going to be a challenge for Mack to get a big contract. Obviously now...it won't happen. 

 

It would be nice to have him back next year...if he can get to 100%...but for him to secure a contract...it's probably not the best route. I bet the Colts let him test FA...and if he comes back...they will give him a one-year contract...like they did with Geathers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine changed the title to Mack done for the year/will we replace Mack after this season? ((Merge))

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...