Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When does Ballard start shouldering some of the blame

boo2202

No Hooker, Leonard and TY Hilton was a huge sore spot and the Raiders came to play. If I were Ballard, I would be looking for better players at CB, Edge and probably another big man in the middle of the D-Line. I want to give our offense a pass for the drops but they looked bad without TY Hilton. Mack seems to pull himself out of the game a lot too. Starting to wonder if he can hold up as RB1 for a whole season.

1 minute ago, Behle said:

Rookies are getting valuable experience right now. Players are learning to react instead of thinking before reacting. Talk about dumping the scheme is premature. If the end of the season looks the same then it will certainly need some revamping. 

It'll be too late at that point.  I haven't heard from anyone who likes how the defense has been used.

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

No Hooker, Leonard and TY Hilton was a huge sore spot and the Raiders came to play. If I were Ballard, I would be looking for better players at CB, Edge and probably another big man in the middle of the D-Line. I want to give our offense a pass for the drops but they looked bad without TY Hilton. Mack seems to pull himself out of the game a lot too. Starting to wonder if he can hold up as RB1 for a whole season.

Ballard fondly refers constantly to the 2006 Bears but those Bears had some disruptors in the middle. The current Bears do as well. We have no one that demands a double team, period. Until we get a few DL stalwarts that demand double teams, defensively, we will not be as good, and the honeymoon with Ballard will wear off. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

What's wrong with Ya-Sin? Actually he was pretty encouraging yesterday.

Glowinski is the weak spot, but what do you want Ballard to do? Use a high pick or even worse sign a random to replace him after being part of one of the best position groups in the NFL, especially when chemistry is very important for that position group? 

Desir is fine. He's actually a 2 year wonder if you're counting 2017, and he hasn't fallen off a cliff or anything, so I have no idea why you're writing him off as a 1 year wonder. He can still shut down Hopkins for all we know

Nothing wrong with Ya-Sin. He’s a rookie. His name is only there because I listed all the corners Ballard drafted (not including Tell who was a safety/hybrid).

Glowinski is the weak link on the line. That was known since last season. They should draft a OG in the middle rounds to eventually replace him. He has a hold at least once a game

Desir didn’t solely shut down Hop. Scheme did.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Ballard fondly refers constantly to the 2006 Bears but those Bears had some disruptors in the middle. The current Bears do as well. We have no one that demands a double team, period. Until we get a few DL stalwarts that demand double teams, defensively, we will not be as good, and the honeymoon with Ballard will wear off. :) 

The draft messiah, is starting to look somewhat suspect IMO. 

38 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

He has graded well every game so far.
 If the guy beside you isn't playing at a high level it is hard to really shine.
Autry and our other tackles are failing us.

I just haven't seen his impact yet this year. I was looking for him to be a dominant edge rusher.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/14048/justin-houston

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

The draft messiah, is starting to look somewhat suspect IMO. 

He probably thought the coaches can continue to make chicken salad out of sub par ingredients he gave them and get them to overachieve. I always felt Margus Hunt overachieved last year and his history told us we needed quality depth added to D-line. We will have to be a little aggressive for a few key free agents in addition to the draft.

Getting two Good-to-Elite defenders and another quality defender in the span of two drafts, one of which went very offensive line heavy, is an amazing hit rate. Not to mention that so far, we have received a ton of production from our 2019 rookies, with Ya-Sin looking like he could develop into a lockdown corner potentially and Okereke and Willis also playing very well. I would say Ballard has done a great job, and with the offense finally having a good line and some good weapons, we should start investing more on that side of the ball. I think he has done an amazing job bringing us from where we were just a few years ago under Grigson.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

He probably thought the coaches can continue to make chicken salad out of sub par ingredients he gave them and get them to overachieve. I always felt Margus Hunt overachieved last year and his history told us we needed quality depth added to D-line. We will have to be a little aggressive for a few key free agents in addition to the draft.

Hunt and Desir, both overachieved last season. Houston is not the same player, Hooker is made of glass and other than Leonard, we have to hope a treasure chest of A LOT of 2nd Rd picks perform. 

I like the patience and cap management, but expect a lot more from all those 2nd Rd picks. 

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can’t win games when rookies are playing this many snaps.  

Okereke, Leonard, and Speed are going to be Awesome together in another 2-3 years. They need Experience in the meantime.  And Help.  The Tampa Two Dungy used here had Freeney, Mathis, and Bubba up front. It won’t work without Pressure.

GMs aren't supposed to hit on every pick, obviously. Just look at other GMs track record and you'll see much more busts. The best GMs hit on less than 40% of their picks but most the picks at least become quality rotational pieces or camp bodies and that's what CB has done. So I think you're being a little harsh on your grading of CB.

12 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Look I like CB think he’s done a decent job of navigating a franchise that was heading down some dark days. But after today’s loss and watching our defense look terrible again, got me thinking about all the draft investments we’ve made on that side the past three years.

Malik hooker- good when he’s on the field but often isn’t available. 1st rd

Quincy Wilson- has yet to pan out. If it wasn’t for lack of depth I could see him being released. 2nd Ed

Terrell Basham- faded out quickly. Bust.

3rd Rd

Grover Stewart- rotational piece. Not great. 4th rd

Nate Hairston- no longer a colt. 4th rd

Antony Walker- quality player. 5th rd

Darius Leonard- very good player. 2nd rd

kemoko Turay- has shown flashes 2nd rd

tyquan lewis- can’t stay healthy. 2nd rd

Ill hold off on the 2019 class but many players on the list from 2017 and 18, just aren’t producing. Just seems like we’ve invested on that side heavily over the past few years and should be seeing better results. Maybe it’s eberflus and his scheme, but at some point this D needs to perform.

I'm replying to this topic just forgot to click Quote post

People need to slow it down on the Ballard comments.  He even stated that the team is still really young and need time.

The guy got here in 2017 and drafted Hooker, Mack, Walker and Wilson and that's not with his own chosen scouts. I'm not crowning anything special with Walker and Wilson but they're starting/depth guys that was well needed on this team.

In 2018, Ballard drafted Nelson, Leonard and Smith. Guys that are playing really well and it's only the start of their 2nd season. Along with that he drafted Turay who has flashed but is a project, Lewis which injuries have plagued him so far and got good rb depth in Wilkins and Hines. Also got Cain, nothing spectacular but coming of ACL and is in his rookie season so can't be judged.

2019, he drafted Campbell, Rock, Okereke and Whillis which I think are going to be good. They have shown flashes but need to develop more. They're rookies and need time and experience. Not all players drafted are Big Q and Leonard. 

2020 has 3 picks set up in the top 50 with a very good draft class and many Qb prospects.

Free agents/Waiver/trades- Ebron, Autry, Kenny moore, Glowinski, Desir and Brissett.

The thing that is killing this team is the Ex Franchise Qb whom was a Generational Talent left his team weeks before the season. He made everyone's job easier including the defense. Not taking jabs at Jacoby because he's played well but he did things that most Qb's couldn't do and you can't blame Ballard for that. Especially him giving a top O-line and a really good Rb.

• Thanks 2

I think CB also needs to get credit for the moves he didn't make:

-- Trading the house for Antonio Brown (who is currently in NFL hell after blowing multiple gaskets and may never play again)

-- Trading the house for Le'Veon Bell (Marlin Mack is 5th in the NFL (338 yards through four games with 4.7 yard average with 2 TD's) while Bell has 163 yards in three games (2.9 yards average and 0 touchdowns).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

GMs aren't supposed to hit on every pick, obviously. Just look at other GMs track record and you'll see much more busts. The best GMs hit on less than 40% of their picks but most the picks at least become quality rotational pieces or camp bodies and that's what CB has done. So I think you're being a little harsh on your grading of CB.

I'm replying to this topic just forgot to click Quote post

Most fans don't know about draft success rates in the NFL. Hall Of Fame caliber General Managers hit on just over 50% of their picks. 'Hit On' consists of drafting a player that competes as a solid starter for at least a couple of years; or better (years and/or performance). The best also finds a few gems in the later rounds too (5-7th) others miss on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Look I like CB think he’s done a decent job of navigating a franchise that was heading down some dark days. But after today’s loss and watching our defense look terrible again, got me thinking about all the draft investments we’ve made on that side the past three years.

Malik hooker- good when he’s on the field but often isn’t available. 1st rd

Quincy Wilson- has yet to pan out. If it wasn’t for lack of depth I could see him being released. 2nd Ed

Terrell Basham- faded out quickly. Bust.

3rd Rd

Grover Stewart- rotational piece. Not great. 4th rd

Nate Hairston- no longer a colt. 4th rd

Antony Walker- quality player. 5th rd

Darius Leonard- very good player. 2nd rd

kemoko Turay- has shown flashes 2nd rd

tyquan lewis- can’t stay healthy. 2nd rd

Ill hold off on the 2019 class but many players on the list from 2017 and 18, just aren’t producing. Just seems like we’ve invested on that side heavily over the past few years and should be seeing better results. Maybe it’s eberflus and his scheme, but at some point this D needs to perform.

Ballard has been taking responsibility since he arrived.

Did you miss his second season when we went 10-6 and won a playoff game?

And now we’re 2-2 after our starting QB up and retired on us just before the start of the season and you think you’re smelling blood in the water?

Embarrassing.    Pure nonsense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Behle said:

Rookies are getting valuable experience right now. Players are learning to react instead of thinking before reacting. Talk about dumping the scheme is premature. If the end of the season looks the same then it will certainly need some revamping. 

Watching the learning experience is always uncomfortable, especially when mistakes are made

1 hour ago, Myles said:

It'll be too late at that point.  I haven't heard from anyone who likes how the defense has been used.

This tells me you think that this is the year we're building up to.

I disagree.  This year we're playing with house money to an extent, although I'd love to see Ballard to make a few in season trades to shore up obvious holes

I see this year mostly as a rebuiding year with a chance for more if everything falls together perfectly.

Needless to say everything is not quite falling together perfectly

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

After today’s loss, I can clearly see how much Luck’s retirement has set this team back. Brissett is nowhere near Luck’s play making abilities. Luck had the ability to put the team on his back and win games like yesterday.  I never expected that from Brissett.

Anyone who had high or higher expectations this season after losing Luck, set themselves up for disappointment IMO.

For the most part, I think Ballard has done a good job and can’t blame him for Luck’s retirement.

However, I really hope the Turay’s, Rock-Sin, Banogu, Lewis and Wilson at some point develop. That’s five 2nd Rd picks on a defense that needs playmakers. If those guys don’t become solid contributors it’s on Ballard. 

I disagree about Brissett. He’s shown flashes, he’s escaped a few sacks and ran for some first downs already. He also has only had one boneheaded INT so far. As great as Luck was, he was good for a couple wth throws a game. 

Its ok to react after a game. But I think a lot of people here need to remember that’s all it is. At 2-2 we fought for every game, even without TY/Hooker/Leonard and that says something. We just need to hope that our guys get healthy sooner than later and ride the rest of the season out.

Who thinks Ballard doesn't shoulder some of the responsibility?  I bet he would tell you he does.  So I am not sure what you are asking for.  

If the defense doesn't perform as you expect would be get rid of Ballard this off season?  

Guess I don't know what the point of this thread is...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

Ask the fans currently bent out of shape losing to the Raiders. :dunno:

The Colts are not a playoff team without Luck, currently that is. 

The Colts were a borderline playoff team with Luck. It literally took a streaky only matched one other time in modern history to make the playoffs. Said this all offseason. All it takes is a few injuries and the wheels would fall off. We are there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

This tells me you think that this is the year we're building up to.

I disagree.  This year we're playing with house money to an extent, although I'd love to see Ballard to make a few in season trades to shore up obvious holes

I see this year mostly as a rebuiding year with a chance for more if everything falls together perfectly.

Needless to say everything is not quite falling together perfectly

Nope.   I was responding to the person who said we should ride the whole season out before changing much on how the defense is being played.     

While this is a rebuilding season, it is not a throw away.  The team has the talent to make a playoff run.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can’t win games when rookies are playing this many snaps.  

True.  But on the bright side, I think this franchise has goals to develop a lot of those players, and getting them live snaps in the NFL might actually be a higher goal than winning.  We need to get those guys moving in the right direction if we want to win down the road.  That means we have to play them and deal with their hiccups.

From that standpoint the good news is we've now got a lot of film on a lot of young players to help the coaching staff assess where they are and what to work on.  That may wind up being more important to the long term success of the franchise than any one game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigQungus said:

...Glowinski is the weak spot, but what do you want Ballard to do? Use a high pick or even worse sign a random to replace him after being part of one of the best position groups in the NFL, especially when chemistry is very important for that position group? ...

Glowinski did struggle at times, and has had too many penalties.

But yesterday, I noticed Kelly getting manhandled way to often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Nope.   I was responding to the person who said we should ride the whole season out before changing much on how the defense is being played.     

While this is a rebuilding season, it is not a throw away.  The team has the talent to make a playoff run.   

Oh I see!  Yes I agree 100%

• Like 1

Look, Andrew Luck retired and this seems to have hit the whole organisation much harder than what they expressed.

I think the locker room have rallied behind Brissett as much as they could and should, but they all know that Brissett ain't no Andrew Luck. 

Luck really gave the Colts a chance to contend, but with Brissett, we are another of the 5-6, 8-8 win/ loss teams.

We have a young roster, but without a playmakes like Luck, we can't expect to do much better than 8-8.

With that said, Brissett is playing okay, but he's not a great nor bad QB, but elite he will never be.

Chris Ballard might have built a young core and continues to do what he's done so far, but a lot how he built the roster, depended upon Andrew Luck's shoulders as he was our x-factor player.

Now CB has a roster with talent, but no x-factor player that can take us to the next level, so I think they will look toward the draft and try to a QB that can take the colts to the next level.

Brissett will never make the colts a serious contender, especially not as long as Mahomes, Jackson and Mayfield playes in the AFC and oh yeah, that dude in Boston :( 

So I think Ballard are working on a new plan, maybe he's trying to get Andrew Luck back for next season or as he does, finding talent that can elevate the roster for the next few years through the draft. But I think, we will go defence defence defence in the draft next year, and that there will be more free agency signings and big ones, compared to when we had Luck.

Ballard is doing well, and he can't be blamed for Luck retiring.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I think CB also needs to get credit for the moves he didn't make:

-- Trading the house for Antonio Brown (who is currently in NFL hell after blowing multiple gaskets and may never play again)

-- Trading the house for Le'Veon Bell (Marlin Mack is 5th in the NFL (338 yards through four games with 4.7 yard average with 2 TD's) while Bell has 163 yards in three games (2.9 yards average and 0 touchdowns).

That knife cuts both ways. He shouldn't get credit for not bringing someone in unless he takes heat for missing on the players he should have brought in. 

He should have traded for Clowney.

He should have made a move on Tyrell Williams. 

He should have signed CJ Mosley.

He should have signed Mark Ingram. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Both of them have been below par the last 2 games. Kelly hasn't graded higher than average yet.

I have seen a lot of the 22 tape on twitter of Kelly. He has actually been very good and it seems Nelson’s mean attitude has hit him. I agree yesterday was bad. You can’t let guys get their hands up and bat balls down.

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Look, Andrew Luck retired and this seems to have hit the whole organisation much harder than what they expressed.

I think the locker room have rallied behind Brissett as much as they could and should, but they all know that Brissett ain't no Andrew Luck. 

Luck really gave the Colts a chance to contend, but with Brissett, we are another of the 5-6, 8-8 win/ loss teams.

We have a young roster, but without a playmakes like Luck, we can't expect to do much better than 8-8.

With that said, Brissett is playing okay, but he's not a great nor bad QB, but elite he will never be.

Chris Ballard might have built a young core and continues to do what he's done so far, but a lot how he built the roster, depended upon Andrew Luck's shoulders as he was our x-factor player.

Now CB has a roster with talent, but no x-factor player that can take us to the next level, so I think they will look toward the draft and try to a QB that can take the colts to the next level.

Brissett will never make the colts a serious contender, especially not as long as Mahomes, Jackson and Mayfield playes in the AFC and oh yeah, that dude in Boston :( 

So I think Ballard are working on a new plan, maybe he's trying to get Andrew Luck back for next season or as he does, finding talent that can elevate the roster for the next few years through the draft. But I think, we will go defence defence defence in the draft next year, and that there will be more free agency signings and big ones, compared to when we had Luck.

Ballard is doing well, and he can't be blamed for Luck retiring.    

It’s way to early to say anything like that about Brissett. I think you might want to see what happens by the end of the season. He either will get better as the young WR mature or he won’t. But to say this after 4 games is ridiculous. How many SB did luck win us. Manning only got us 1. Let’s build this team and let Brissett grow this year before saying that.

I  get it.  We have to let our young players on defense develop.  Honestly, my biggest beef isn't with the secondary as they r young and dealing with injuries.  My issue is with the front 4.  They are all veterans and as a whole, they r below average.  I don't see a youth movement  and there are  no young talented guys waiting in the wings.  This D is built on the ability of the front 4 to pressure the opposing team.  Look back at the good to great defences that ran this scheme and they had great defensive tackles.  He had invested a ton of high picks in the linebacker and corner position.  For the last 3 years under Ballard, I would scout defensive  a tackles before the draft.  I  tried to guess who the Colts may  pick based on his profile and was he a one gap penetrating tackle.   3 drafts have come and gone and the only investment has been Lewis and Stewart.  Lewis wasnt even a defensive tackle in college and  Stewart was a late pick.  His free agent  pick ups have been cast off D ends  converted to play D tackle.  That's my beef with Ballard.   It reminds me so much of how Polian drafted defensive players for the same D.  It was only when he swallowed his pride and traded for Booger did the D improve.   He signed Corey Simon and yes he turned out to b a bust.  However his big body did change the defense.