Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When does Ballard start shouldering some of the blame

boo2202

Look I like CB think he’s done a decent job of navigating a franchise that was heading down some dark days. But after today’s loss and watching our defense look terrible again, got me thinking about all the draft investments we’ve made on that side the past three years.

Malik hooker- good when he’s on the field but often isn’t available. 1st rd

Quincy Wilson- has yet to pan out. If it wasn’t for lack of depth I could see him being released. 2nd Ed

Terrell Basham- faded out quickly. Bust.

3rd Rd

Grover Stewart- rotational piece. Not great. 4th rd

Nate Hairston- no longer a colt. 4th rd

Antony Walker- quality player. 5th rd

Darius Leonard- very good player. 2nd rd

kemoko Turay- has shown flashes 2nd rd

tyquan lewis- can’t stay healthy. 2nd rd

Ill hold off on the 2019 class but many players on the list from 2017 and 18, just aren’t producing. Just seems like we’ve invested on that side heavily over the past few years and should be seeing better results. Maybe it’s eberflus and his scheme, but at some point this D needs to perform.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Look I like CB think he’s done a decent job of navigating a franchise that was heading down some dark days. But after today’s loss and watching our defense look terrible again, got me thinking about all the draft investments we’ve made on that side the past three years.

Quincy Wilson- has yet to pan out. If it wasn’t for lack of depth I could see him being released. 2nd Ed

3rd Rd

Ill hold off on the 2019 class but many players on the list from 2017 and 18, just aren’t producing. Just seems like we’ve invested on that side heavily over the past few years and should be seeing better results. Maybe it’s eberflus and his scheme, but at some point this D needs to perform.

I agree that Ballard hasn't hit on a few defensive prospects, but in my opinion he's still picking at a high rate.  Getting good, not great, production in the mid rounds is something I think he's pretty good at.

I still think Wilson has a chance, but I will agree with you on him.  He also frustrated me.

Turay was a bit of a project with high ceiling.  Give him another year and watch him grow.

Can't predict injuries, so just toss out the complaints on both Hooked and Lewis.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

The problem is that we don’t have good defensive tackles and our corners are trash

We got precious little pressure on Carr yesterday.  And it wasn’t like all his passes were quick hits.

It’s hard to win in the NFL these days without a formidable pass rush.

That said...it’s only one loss and it came with several key players out.  Let’s not overreact.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I agree that Ballard hasn't hit on a few defensive prospects, but in my opinion he's still picking at a high rate.  Getting good, not great, production in the mid rounds is something I think he's pretty good at.

I still think Wilson has a chance, but I will agree with you on him.  He also frustrated me.

Turay was a bit of a project with high ceiling.  Give him another year and watch him grow.

Can't predict injuries, so just toss out the complaints on both Hooked and Lewis.

There’s no such thing as batting 1000 in the personnel department...particularly considering that we’re competing with 31 other teams to acquire the best players we can get.

We’re lucky to have Chris Ballard.  That doesn’t mean that each and every player he’s drafted or signed is destined for the Pro Bowl.

• Like 3

Bruhhhh.... we got into a trap game. All it takes is a couple things to have went our way and we are 4-0. If we win the game you are on your knees thanking the almighty Ballard masiah. Last year he had easily one of the best drafts by any GM ever, EVER. This isnt madden, if you get 2 maybe 3 starters out of a draft it was a good draft. Go take a lap and clear your head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, twfish said:

Bruhhhh.... we got into a trap game. All it takes is a couple things to have went our way and we are 4-0. If we win the game you are on your knees thanking the almighty Ballard masiah. Last year he had easily one of the best drafts by any GM ever, EVER. This isnt madden, if you get 2 maybe 3 starters out of a draft it was a good draft. Go take a lap and clear your head.

That and the vast majority of rookies take time to develop.  How many rookies were starting on D yesterday?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard might of been better off trying to trade up for a stud on defense rather then picking all the LB.

I will disagree here.  I believe Ballard wants a strong rotation of players to keep them fresh, provide for situational ball, and in case of injury.  If you have one stud and no quality backups you have single point of failure, which he preaches against.

We have pretty good rotation players at most spots on D now.  I agree, though, that we could use a real stud in the interior.  Maybe this is the year to trade up?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I will disagree here.  I believe Ballard wants a strong rotation of players to keep them fresh, provide for situational ball, and in case of injury.  If you have one stud and no quality backups you have single point of failure, which he preaches against.

We have pretty good rotation players at most spots on D now.  I agree, though, that we could use a real stud in the interior.  Maybe this is the year to trade up?

We may be trading up for a QB.   It's still unknown.   

Ballard has done great with this team since he has been here.   The biggest issue is that the cupboard was so bare that it takes time.  I thought he addressed the pass rush issue with Houston, but either he isn't what we thought or the Colts don't know how to use him.  

Someone get Ebron a can of stickum.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

The problem is that we don’t have good defensive tackles and our corners are trash

Agree. And that’s where Ballard does deserve his share of the blame. The DT’s he’s drafted? Grover Stewart and Tyquan Lewis. The CBs he’s drafted? Hairston, Wilson, And Ya-Sin.

I also think Ballard is starting to show a habit of rewarding 1 season wonder players. Guys who peaked. Mathis Hunt, Glowinski, Desir, etc...

• Like 1

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Agree. And that’s where Ballard does deserve his share of the blame. The DT’s he’s drafted? Grover Stewart and Tyquan Lewis. The CBs he’s drafted? Hairston, Wilson, And Ya-Sin.

I also think Ballard is starting to show a habit of rewarding 1 season wonder players. Guys who peaked. Mathis Hunt, Glowinski, Desir, etc...

Excellent point Desir has done nothing and glowinski and hunt have regressed 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think if you go back and look desir has had a pretty good season. Hunt was getting pressure in the falcons game and they double teamed him.

Just now, coltfaninnewyork said:

Excellent point Desir has done nothing and glowinski and hunt have regressed 

That is not true about Desir. 

probably when something happens that's worthy of blame.

We dropped a game we shouldn't have.  It sucks but these things happen every year.  Ballard has still done an impressive job rebuilding the roster from scratch over a very short period of time, I'm not surprised that there are flaws on the team, and I expect him to patch them up over the next couple years.

40 minutes ago, Myles said:

We may be trading up for a QB.   It's still unknown.   

I think we can rule it out for this coming offseason.  We have too many other holes to invest that much of our asset pool in upgrading an average-at-worst QB.

We're going to draft somewhere in the middle of the first round and if there's a no doubt stud QB and a no doubt stud DT, I'd think Ballard would be smart enough to grab the DT.

Only question in my mind vis-a-vis Brissett is not whether he's worth keeping, but whether he's worth keeping at the price he'll demand when he hits FA. We have at least another year before we should even be worrying about the QB position

After today’s loss, I can clearly see how much Luck’s retirement has set this team back. Brissett is nowhere near Luck’s play making abilities. Luck had the ability to put the team on his back and win games like yesterday.  I never expected that from Brissett.

Anyone who had high or higher expectations this season after losing Luck, set themselves up for disappointment IMO.

For the most part, I think Ballard has done a good job and can’t blame him for Luck’s retirement.

However, I really hope the Turay’s, Rock-Sin, Banogu, Lewis and Wilson at some point develop. That’s five 2nd Rd picks on a defense that needs playmakers. If those guys don’t become solid contributors it’s on Ballard. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

However, I really hope the Turay’s, Rock-Sin, Banogu, Lewis and Wilson at some point develop. That’s five 2nd Rd picks on a defense that needs playmakers. If those guys don’t become solid contributors it’s on Ballard. 

I'm not sure we will be able to determine that with the defensive scheme we are using.  

23 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

We're going to draft somewhere in the middle of the first round and if there's a no doubt stud QB and a no doubt stud DT, I'd think Ballard would be smart enough to grab the DT.

take the QB, teams have been over drafting DTs trying to find the next Aaron Donald but really good DTs are rare.  Jacoby is mediocre, and isnt taking us far

Just now, Myles said:

I'm not sure we will be able to determine that with the defensive scheme we are using.  

I don’t know, and I don’t expect all these players to be like Leonard from last season. I am concerned that there’s potentially more swing and miss there, than impact players. It’s still early though. 

11 hours ago, boo2202 said:

3rd Rd

I wonder what the impact/success rate is compared to the rest of the league?  Seems to me there's been a large rash of injuries and busts the last few years league wide. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Houston has been a disappointment so far. I thought he would be able to generate the pass rush the team needed. 

He has graded well every game so far.
 If the guy beside you isn't playing at a high level it is hard to really shine.
Autry and our other tackles are failing us.

11 hours ago, boo2202 said:

3rd Rd

The Unit isn't playing well.
 Eberflus has our secondary playing as Passive a level of fb as you will ever see.

He has neutured Moore, and our corners and safeties never aggressively close and contest when the ball is being thrown.  Clearly he has No Faith.

JMO that Walker is just a step mentally & physically slow to compete against the quick passing game. You can build him into the game plan to exploit. I hate it. But!

51 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What's wrong with Ya-Sin? Actually he was pretty encouraging yesterday.

Glowinski is the weak spot, but what do you want Ballard to do? Use a high pick or even worse sign a random to replace him after being part of one of the best position groups in the NFL, especially when chemistry is very important for that position group? 

Desir is fine. He's actually a 2 year wonder if you're counting 2017, and he hasn't fallen off a cliff or anything, so I have no idea why you're writing him off as a 1 year wonder. He can still shut down Hopkins for all we know

47 minutes ago, MPStack said:

After today’s loss, I can clearly see how much Luck’s retirement has set this team back. Brissett is nowhere near Luck’s play making abilities. Luck had the ability to put the team on his back and win games like yesterday.  I never expected that from Brissett.

Anyone who had high or higher expectations this season after losing Luck, set themselves up for disappointment IMO.

For the most part, I think Ballard has done a good job and can’t blame him for Luck’s retirement.

Why on earth would anyone have high or higher expectations this season after losing Luck??

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Houston has been a disappointment so far. I thought he would be able to generate the pass rush the team needed. 

This team cannot stop the run which makes it really hard to mount an effective pass rush when its 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2.

The Colts are bottom 10 in run defense and top 10 in pass defense. That's not because this defense is elite covering the pass. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Why on earth would anyone have high or higher expectations this season after losing Luck??

Ask the fans currently bent out of shape losing to the Raiders. :dunno:

The Colts are not a playoff team without Luck, currently that is. 

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The Unit isn't playing well.
 Eberflus has our secondary playing as Passive a level of fb as you will ever see.

He has neutured Moore, and our corners and safeties never aggressively close and contest when the ball is being thrown.  Clearly he has No Faith.

JMO that Walker is just a step mentally & physically slow to compete against the quick passing game. You can build him into the game plan to exploit. I hate it. But!

Last year, once we got down 1-5, he started blitzing more from the slot with Kenny Moore to go along with more man coverage on the outside while playing zone inside.  He started mixing it up more. This passive nature made Matt Ryan look like Joe Montana, and I shudder to think what Mahomes will do.

I said the ceiling of this time with Brissett is 8-8 and I stick by it. 

• Thanks 2

Rookies are getting valuable experience right now. Players are learning to react instead of thinking before reacting. Talk about dumping the scheme is premature. If the end of the season looks the same then it will certainly need some revamping.