Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I know we are only 2 games into Frank Reich but...

RockThatBlue

Lastly, why in the hell does everything good have to be juxtaposed against everything that is bad? Can't it just be good on it's own? I can confidently say that no one in that Colts locker room has Pagano on their mind for a single thing. 

To compliment one, by degrading another, actually diminishes the compliment. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Are we gonna hear this stupid line every thread? Pagano and his stupid sayings are gone, time to move on

Thanks for your response. I will consider your take next me time I want  to post something light heartedly. 

Please feel free to ignore anything I post. 

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

The Skins are a decent team. The Colts beat a good team today. They won because they flat outplayed them. Totally earned. I didn't think they could pull this off this early in the season. But the D played its heart out, and that made all the difference. I still think it will be a difficult first half of the season, but this D is so much more athletic than in the past, and they will keep the Colts in the games. 

Our defense played a heck of the game.  I am shocked that they held the Redskins to only 65 yards on the ground and kept them out of the endzone.  Most prognosticators and even Colts fans like myself were expecting them to run all on our defense.  So glad to be proven wrong!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I just wish he would scrap running from the jumbo set. 

No one is fooled, and it really doesn’t gain well, or consistently enough to justify it. And just like Pagano the more you stick to it, the more defenses are going to come prepared for it, and the worse it’s gonna get. 

Maybe they are putting it on film and have something else down the road out of that set.  Coaches sometimes do that.  Just a thought.

i also go back to Tom Moore and Dungy who used to say it doesn’t matter what you call if you out execute the other team.  Reich got his coaching start under that thought process maybe he feels the same way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

It's still early and this is a very young team...there will be some more downs bit also more ups....but so far the future looks very bright......Luck had a very pedestrian game and the Colts still controlled the game.

This is what gives me hope.  We have never been able to survive a bad game from Luck.  Today we did because the defense was good and running game was efficient.  I also want to draw attention to the growth of the defense.  Last week Mixon gashed us and today Peterson and Thompson couldn’t do anything.  

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Some might have but I wasn't one of them so I'm comfortable in saying what I did.

You can say whatever you like, that wasn’t my main point.  My main point is that there isn’t enough evidence to make conclusions like that yet.  I think people still see what they hope and want to see with the new coaches.  Time will tell.  I repeat I hope they are better coached.  They need to be.

• Like 1

It's always good to win. Screw any negatives today. Nice not feeling crappy about your team on a Sunday afternoon like we did so many times last year.

Dline looked real quick off the snap several times today. Nice to see. Winning helps young teams. I'm also glad for Andrew, he needs to remember what it's like to win also to help his confidence and psyche. 

Good football Sunday for me, bravo Colts.

• Like 1

Last year it seemed like every game I would document 2-3 blatant coaching errors that were critical to the outcome of the game.  I think it was five games into the season when I finally said enough, the Pagano regime was costing wins because of in-game incompetence.

Admittedly I haven’t been viewing with as much of a critical eye this year, but I’ve not noticed any atrocious coaching errors yet in the two games so far, as compared to last year when the errors were relentless.

I am truly thankful for McDaniels backing out, for I am loving Reich and his staff, thus far. 

Go Colts!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

It's always good to win. Screw any negatives today. Nice not feeling crappy about your team on a Sunday afternoon like we did so many times last year.

Dline looked real quick off the snap several times today. Nice to see. Winning helps young teams. I'm also glad for Andrew, he needs to remember what it's like to win also to help his confidence and psyche. 

Good football Sunday for me, bravo Colts.

The Line had a couple encroachment penalties.  But honestly, i'll take that 7 days a week, 2ce on Sunday ( :funny:   )  if it means that the majority of the time we have a d-lineman in their backfield pressuring the QB or stuffing a run like we did today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points, I see Washington as an 8-8 team so they are Average at worse but far from Bad and many think we are Bad. We just beat a team that is at least Average (at their place) so that is an Above Average win in reality. Alex Smith is Above Average (sometimes Good) and we contained him all day.  We were 6 point underdogs and I honestly didn't see 1 person on ESPN or the NFL Network pick us to win so we should enjoy this.

Agreed

The ONLY person I saw pick the Colts was Phil Simms I believe.

During the pre-game segments where each guy picks their upset of the day, he had the Colts over the Skins.

Very happy w the team performance today. Leonard is a monster. D looked improved. They will have some bad games. They're young and learning. But for 4 Quarters today they put it together.

And our running game was even decent today. Wilkins looked very patient. Was a good day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Lastly, why in the hell does everything good have to be juxtaposed against everything that is bad? Can't it just be good on it's own? I can confidently say that no one in that Colts locker room has Pagano on their mind for a single thing. 

To compliment one, by degrading another, actually diminishes the compliment. 

I can get with that.  I never hated chuck.  He is a good guy, I just think he was a little over his head as a HC.  And Grigs did him NO favors.

I think we should all just be happy we have Reich right now and leave it at that.

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

Agreed

The ONLY person I saw pick the Colts was Phil Simms I believe.

During the pre-game segments where each guy picks their upset of the day, he had the Colts over the Skins.

Very happy w the team performance today. Leonard is a monster. D looked improved. They will have some bad games. They're young and learning. But for 4 Quarters today they put it together.

And our running game was even decent today. Wilkins looked very patient. Was a good day.

Agreed.  This is a very young defense (and young team in general), so they are going to get their hats handed to them now and then as they learn how to play together, play in this system, and play to NFL level expectations.  BUT, what I think this game did was give us fans a peak at what they CAN do, and if this type of effort from the defense doesn't excite you I'm not sure what will.  They were pretty good today.  Hope we see more of these type of performances as time goes by and, eventually, against some of the top offenses in the league.

The one thing that sticks out to me from the previous regime to this one is that the young guys are contributing.  In the past, we depended on vets and FA signings to do most of the contributing.  This year so far, our young guys are the ones making the difference, especially on defense.  That is a good sign that someone knows what they are doing when the first year players can come in and play like vets.  Feeling very good about this team.  Different attitude for me.

• Like 2

First game I do recall two mistakes made by Reich: Not calling a time-out during a defensive sub which was late off the field, giving the Bengals a free play plus 2 yards within the 5 yard line. The second was not taking the 3 in the RZ.

This week nothing stood out. I do think he took a bit too long (3 series?) to adjust in the second half to how the Skins changed up their defensive look (to be fair, the last INT by Luck of course didnt help).

The biggest differences in Offensive style:
1) Reich plays to stay ahead of the sticks, leading to a lot of easy 3rd down conversions. Last year it was Gore up the middle for 3 yards. Jacoby trying to complete a 7 yard pass. Didn't convert? Gore up the middle for 3 yards and a punt.

2) Almost the same: In 3rd and short, we're not 100% of the time running it up the middle with our RBs.

3) Utilizing motion to check the defense and using stacks to spring guys free. I mean... yeah. Duh.

Oh, and check out the first play in this highlight:

HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO Nelson pull and pancake!!!

Not that it was hard to do, but this coaching staff is light years ahead of the previous regime. They look very promising in just their 2nd game! 

Reich's play calling is excellent.

I love that Eberflus is calling out "loafs" on the Defense when they screw up as well. So much better than clapping. 

I questioned having Clark start at LT, but the O-line coach made a great call on that, while leaving Haeg at RT where he should be. 

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Pagano started 1-1 too and people said the same thing about him compared to Caldwell.

Lol Caldwell went from "should've been undefeated" to "should've lost every game" to 10-6. He wasn't terrible. Just lacked fire i guess.. but he really didn't have a shot..

Pagano started 1-1 too and people said the same thing about him compared to Caldwell.

Lol Caldwell went from "should've been undefeated" to "should've lost every game" to 10-6. He wasn't terrible. Just lacked fire i guess.. but he really didn't have a shot..

20 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

So far I like what I see.  It has only been 2 games but we've been "in" every game we've played thus far.  

Pagano's teams got blown out on a fairly regular basis.  And sometimes they would get blown out by teams that they should beat.  

Will be interesting to see if we get blown out any this year. Seems like we would get blown out 3-4 times a year under Pagano even with a healthy Luck. We are a fairly young team I wouldn't be shocked if we are blown out maybe once or twice but that would still be an improvement IMO.

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Will be interesting to see if we get blown out any this year. Seems like we would get blown out 3-4 times a year under Pagano even with a healthy Luck. We are a fairly young team I wouldn't be shocked if we are blown out maybe once or twice but that would still be an improvement IMO.

There are certainly tougher games ahead.  But I'll be extremely happy if they don't lose to the Pats by more then 2 scores.  But that's a tall order I think.  Pat's defense might not be what it once was but it's still not easy to stop their offense.  

• Like 1

We looked good for the whole game minus about 8 mins between the end of the 3rd and 4th quarters. I like the small fast defense in comparison to the big strong d Pagano tried to employ. 

And the offensive play calling.. wow. We just seem to have more purpose on plays. Quick and Decisive. And our running back by committee is fresh and hungry!

Lets go dethrone the champs sunday!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

My problem with Caldwell, even when were winning, was he wasn't aggressive enough.  We would get ahead and then we played to not lose the game which is a good way to lose a game.  I always said he's best fit for a team that needs a turnaround.  He can get your team to get wins but not aggressive enough to win those big ones.

I for one am glad we are not 0-2 like the last 4 years. I am glad it was not the same old script like years past where the O would have 3 and outs while the D gives up the 4th quarter lead. We played complementary football for once, where the D made up for a bad day by the O. Fingers crossed that 2 steps forward continues to move forward than backwards in terms of figuring out to win in the 4th qtr.

You can say whatever you like, that wasn’t my main point.  My main point is that there isn’t enough evidence to make conclusions like that yet.  I think people still see what they hope and want to see with the new coaches.  Time will tell.  I repeat I hope they are better coached.  They need to be.

I totally agree. New GM Grigson and new HC Pagano arrive and we start winning - it is like a breath of fresh air, him and Pagano. New expectations are set and when we regress, finger pointing happens with fans, that is just par for the course.

Like a new lover or date, let the newness wear out, let 1 season play out, because right now the coaches are playing to an extent with house money.  :) 

17 hours ago, chad72 said:

Our true measure will be when we play teams like the Steelers and Patriots and do not get blown out if we want to compare the early years of Pagano with early years of Reich. With Pagano, the winning happened but the offensive coaches he brought to the picture did not inspire creativity or improvization. 

One step at a time. Let more winning happen, and let us become more competitive with teams like the Steelers and Patriots. Peyton's Colts played better winning ball when he cut down on turnovers, Luck needs to get to that level and he is not there yet. When Peyton first beat the Patriots in Gillette stadium 40-21, it was by being aggressive and not turning the ball over much, maybe just once, it is a hard combination to be both aggressive and not turn it over at all but the elite ones manage to do it. To beat the elite teams, you should first not gift them freebies. Luck is good for 1 or 2 freebies every game in terms of turnovers. To me, our performance vs the best in the AFC - teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers etc. will tell me how well this team can do.

I do not see the Redskins as more than a middle-of-the-road team. Their skill players are not efficient, and their play calling left me thinking "nothing special".

One step at a time would be let's beat the teams we should beat, an immediate comparo to Pitt and NE is the final step.  If we were to win the games we should win, this team will have a very productive season.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:57 AM, Lawrence Owen said:

I am fairly certain you forgot to put the Jags name in there as an 'elite' team.  No Colts fan wants to hear it, But the Jaguars ARE an elite team.

And he can go ahead and take the Steelers out of the elite category. That franchise is sitting at 0-1-1 with an imploding locker room. They ain't special anymore.

I've seen some Steelers fans on forums talk about how unlikable half of their roster is. That's just not the kind of team you want to see an up-and-coming franchise like us strive to be like.