Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I know we are only 2 games into Frank Reich but...

RockThatBlue

Yup. The offense just looks so much more creative right now. Bunch formations, screens, delayed draws, lots of east west stuff. Things we never saw with the air coryell we used a lot with the old regime. Heck, there was a QB sneak on a 3rd and short that I don't think I've ever seen Luck run. 

One thing about this type of rhythmic, up tempo offense is that it's very hard to keep up all game long, so there might be points where the offense stalls a bit, like we saw in the 3rd quarter of this game and the last. Difference is, the defense stepped up this week, and allowed the offense to finish the job on the late fourth quarter drive. 

• Like 3

The coaching is starting to take effect.  The defense plays faster and smarter.  I was impressed with how well they kept the Skins receivers from getting out of bounds near the end of the game.  They were running down guys, swarming to the ball and taking good angles to head them off before they could reach the sidelines.   Kudos to the coaching.

• Like 5

What I appreciate most about his play calling appears to be his in-game adjustments. For example, after a couple 3 and Outs, he appeared to adjust the depth of his route running, leading to our 3rd and final touchdown of the game. And once he loosened them up a bit, he was back to a more balanced play calling.

• Like 1

Well coached. Great gameplanning. Great adjustments. If week 1 to week 2 on defense is any indication, they are getting coached up something special. I can't wait to watch these guys continue to be held accountable in film and practice, and watching that translate to the game field each week. THAT is how a team gets better. And that is exactly what is happening with this coaching staff each week

• Like 1

Our true measure will be when we play teams like the Steelers and Patriots and do not get blown out if we want to compare the early years of Pagano with early years of Reich. With Pagano, the winning happened but the offensive coaches he brought to the picture did not inspire creativity or improvization. 

One step at a time. Let more winning happen, and let us become more competitive with teams like the Steelers and Patriots. Peyton's Colts played better winning ball when he cut down on turnovers, Luck needs to get to that level and he is not there yet. When Peyton first beat the Patriots in Gillette stadium 40-21, it was by being aggressive and not turning the ball over much, maybe just once, it is a hard combination to be both aggressive and not turn it over at all but the elite ones manage to do it. To beat the elite teams, you should first not gift them freebies. Luck is good for 1 or 2 freebies every game in terms of turnovers. To me, our performance vs the best in the AFC - teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers etc. will tell me how well this team can do.

I do not see the Redskins as more than a middle-of-the-road team. Their skill players are not efficient, and their play calling left me thinking "nothing special".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Though at the time we didn't know, it sure seems like it was a blessing in disguise.

Believe me...I considered it a blessing as soon as it happened.  I never wanted Josh McDaniels.  I felt we dodged a bullet. It just angered me at the time that he played our franchise for a fool.  But Ballard handled an embarrassing situation as classy as can be expected. 

• Like 2

The Skins are a decent team. The Colts beat a good team today. They won because they flat outplayed them. Totally earned. I didn't think they could pull this off this early in the season. But the D played its heart out, and that made all the difference. I still think it will be a difficult first half of the season, but this D is so much more athletic than in the past, and they will keep the Colts in the games. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Our true measure will be when we play teams like the Steelers and Patriots and do not get blown out if we want to compare the early years of Pagano with early years of Reich. With Pagano, the winning happened but the offensive coaches he brought to the picture did not inspire creativity or improvization. 

One step at a time. Let more winning happen, and let us become more competitive with teams like the Steelers and Patriots. Peyton's Colts played better winning ball when he cut down on turnovers, Luck needs to get to that level and he is not there yet. When Peyton first beat the Patriots in Gillette stadium 40-21, it was by being aggressive and not turning the ball over much, maybe just once. To beat the elite teams, you should first not gift them freebies. Luck is good for 1 or 2 freebies every game in terms of turnovers. To me, our performance vs the best in the AFC - teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers etc. will tell me how well this team can do.

I do not see the Redskins as more than a middle-of-the-road team. Their skill players are not efficient, and their play calling left me thinking "nothing special".

Good points, I see Washington as an 8-8 team so they are Average at worse but far from Bad and many think we are Bad. We just beat a team that is at least Average (at their place) so that is an Above Average win in reality. Alex Smith is Above Average (sometimes Good) and we contained him all day.  We were 6 point underdogs and I honestly didn't see 1 person on ESPN or the NFL Network pick us to win so we should enjoy this.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good points, I see Washington as an 8-8 team so they are Average at worse but far from Bad and many think we are Bad. We just beat a team that is at least Average (at their place) so that is an Above Average win in reality. Alex Smith is Above Average (sometimes Good) and we contained him all day.  We were 6 point underdogs and I honestly didn't see 1 person on ESPN or the NFL Network pick us to win so we should enjoy this.

I agree. We are not a bad team and whoever said that will re-examine their own heads after today. :) The best thing today was we closed the deal in the 4th qtr. with an offensive TD when we had to and defensive plays when we had to.

We are on the cusp of .500 as well like the Redskins (that is why I felt they are right in the middle type of team in the league) and hopefully can have a winning record with a few good breaks, long season. After seeing the Cardinals make you throw up with their performance vs the Rams, you can see how the Redskins' win looked more inflated coming in. Still, road wins are hard to come by, and any win is hard to come by in the NFL. I will take it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

We are not a bad team and whoever said that will re-examine their own heads after today. :) 

We are on the cusp of .500 as well like the Redskins. After seeing the Cardinals make you throw up with their performance vs the Rams, you can see how the Redskins' win looked more inflated coming in. Still, road wins are hard to come by, and any win is hard to come by in the NFL. I will take it. 

I am out of LIKES LOL, that happens when I drink and we win but I agree. Any win on the road is huge.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One step at a time. Let more winning happen, and let us become more competitive with teams like the Steelers and Patriots. Peyton's Colts played better winning ball when he cut down on turnovers, Luck needs to get to that level and he is not there yet. When Peyton first beat the Patriots in Gillette stadium 40-21, it was by being aggressive and not turning the ball over much, maybe just once, it is a hard combination to be both aggressive and not turn it over at all but the elite ones manage to do it. To beat the elite teams, you should first not gift them freebies. Luck is good for 1 or 2 freebies every game in terms of turnovers. To me, our performance vs the best in the AFC - teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers etc. will tell me how well this team can do.

That being said good is good and bad is bad. We know bad too well. Today is good and it can't be taken away.

I like where the guys are heading. But the problem in general with new coaches on the offense is this:

The first year or two, they take the NFL by storm, showing things not seen , or not seen much, and catching the rest of the NFL off guard.  Then after some time, the rest of the NFL have tape to study how to defend such an offensive playbook.

To be a great play caller, you not only have to be new now, you have to reinvent yourself each and every year.  I sincerely hope Reich is one of the latter.

Matt Eberflus however....now this guy has taken raw inexperienced talent, and molded them into something.  IDK yet how special his defense can be, or for how long, (they should just get better as the year goes on), But for now, he has taken speed, added aggressiveness, and and told them to attack the ball.  I'm impressed.

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well said. 

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am fairly certain you forgot to put the Jags name in there as an 'elite' team.  No Colts fan wants to hear it, But the Jaguars ARE an elite team.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So happy McDaniels pulled the patriots play fake on us.   I'm loving frank

55 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So happy McDaniels pulled the patriots play fake on us.   I'm loving frank

Love the win,  just happy you’re posting something positive!

How about the defense specifically? I was already a fan of Eberflus as I read/watched more about him, but man. The whole "calling out the loafs" thing almost seemed kind of harsh but it really seems to be working so far.

Our defense, while not totally experienced, seems to be all about effort and desire, and of course, speed. Guys like Leonard and even Kenny Moore making awesome tackles, our DL penetrating the backfield, and our safeties, Farley and Geathers especially, making plays constantly. It was weird being more confident in our defense on the field today than it was in our offense, but it wasn't a bad feeling.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

How about the defense specifically? I was already a fan of Eberflus as I read/watched more about him, but man. The whole "calling out the loafs" thing almost seemed kind of harsh but it really seems to be working so far.

Our defense, while not totally experienced, seems to be all about effort and desire, and of course, speed. Guys like Leonard and even Kenny Moore making awesome tackles, our DL penetrating the backfield, and our safeties, Farley and Geathers especially, making plays constantly. It was weird being more confident in our defense on the field today than it was in our offense, but it wasn't a bad feeling.

This guy Kenny Moore has been playing out of his mind, beyond what I expected. 

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Our Safety play was 150% better today than last week when they were one of our worst parts.  Geathers tackled well.  And you didn't hear Hookers name much, He was there...but Smith wouldn't throw toward him because he kept his back-end contain.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That's silly. Eyeballs show me this team is well coached. Paganism team had way more vets and experience 

It’s not silly its what happened.  People thought the Colts were better coached under Pagano than Caldwell too.  

Odds are when there is a coaching change most fans are so sick of the old coach any success under the new coach looks better weather it is or isn’t because it’s new.

i hope the Colts are better coached under Reich.  I’ve shared my criticism of Pagano’s coaching over the years so gosh I hope they are.  However two games isn’t even close to enough of a sample size to say if they are or aren’t.  

• Like 2