Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Hankins

Everyone

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

No I wouldn't have paid that to suh but I'm not gonna + and moan when Ballard pays what he has to to sign players designed how the cap rises will cause contracts to go up this deal with Hankins isn't bear as bad as you are making it out to be 

I never said he was "bear" or bad as you probably meant to write.  I am glad he is a Colt and hope he lives up to the contract.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

The cap rising is not an excuse to overpay for middling talent though, that only continues to drive up the price for all players at that position.  I am glad Indy signed him, just wish it would have been more in line of what the market dictated.

Meh, how much you pay a guy is only relevant to the teams cap/roster situation.  The colts have plenty of money and not many players who will be demanding a lot of money in the future.

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I agree but Ballard payed what he had to i trust him to make the choices 

I am hopeful too.

EDIT: Sorry for the triple quote.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Meh, how much you pay a guy is only relevant to the teams cap/roster situation.  The colts have plenty of money and not many players who will be demanding a lot of money in the future.

That is one way of thinking and it isn't entirely correct or incorrect.  I am glad that around half of the deal is guaranteed.  I want him to live up to his contract but won't be surprised if he doesn't and becomes the next "whipping boy" on here.....

I didn't read through all of the pages but would I be way off target if I saw this 3 year contract as a 2 year loaner? It seems to me that Hankins has a chance to build his value while helping a defense that is rebuilding this year. I keep seeing people throwing around the "10 million per year" average but, all I see is a 2 year 8 million per year deal for guaranteed cash.

If Hankins plays the way he thinks he should get paid... then after two years he will be making more than 10 million per year with another team(Hope its done via sign and trade). Having said that, I don't think this changes our draft strategy one bit. If Ballard wants a NT then he will take one this year or next year IMO.

I could be way off but, thats hows I sees em!

1 minute ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Who is your starting front three on the defensive front line?  Barring any draft picks...

Langford Hankins and Anderson IMO but I don't see any reason why Ridgeway can't take a starting spot sometime in season from Langford 

To the folks worried about money...who cares we aren't paying it and nowadays, because the nfl is flush with cash, bums and/or marginal players get huge dollars, it means nothing.

It's not long term and it potentially gives us a weapon in the middle of the D which we seem to rarely ever have.

I'm happy, screw the money aspect...

35 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

In Free Agency they are most of the time.  I bet you are one of those who would have dropped their drawers for Suh.  Miami can't get out of that contract soon enough.

I think the Browns even thought that was a bad deal

now the bigger question. will the great lavar edwards who has dedicated his life to the shoe. THE DEFINITION OF WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A COLT. THE GUY THAT MADE 95 LEGENDARY!!!!!!!!!!!! give it up to hankins   

Ballard may not be done on the Dline.   He has mentioned a few times that you need plenty of bigger, stronger, faster linemen to make a deep playoff run.  I think we are much closer to having the right Dline and Oline than we have been in a very long time. 

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

That is one way of thinking and it isn't entirely correct or incorrect.  I am glad that around half of the deal is guaranteed.  I want him to live up to his contract but won't be surprised if he doesn't and becomes the next "whipping boy" on here.....

I just hate that he kind of looks like Josh Chapman in the face. Gives small nightmares.  LOL

I'm sure that Hankins will be better though.

2 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Hankins hasn't signed for 12 hours yet and you are already projecting failure? wow. Would it even matter who we signed? at least we signed someone who is young (25) who has the frame that has played in the NFL. What to do to satisfy these fans? i know, lets call Peyton out of retirement.

I'm good with it.  I was fine either way because I think Ballard has a plan and he's working it.  If he didn't sign, there was a good reason.  Now that he has, hopefully he will give the Colts something they haven't had in years.  He reportedly wanted a long term deal but pretty much got in the ball-park per year he was looking for.  Seems like they met in the middle.  He's 25, the guaranteed money isn't too bad, and it's only 3 years.  If he sux, the Colts can get out of it for "essentially" only $5M/year.  If he's good, then he can either re-negotiate with the Colts or look for a bigger payday somewhere else.  It's win-win really.

Sure takes some urgency out of finding that position in the draft now.

21 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I am going to politely ask you to please not respond to me again.  You are everything that is wrong with this forum.  An uninformed bandwagon jumper at best...shoo...shoo fly.

Come on man. You're over the top on this. The Colts have cash. It took away a pressing draft need. It is not a perfect signing. It also is not a bad signing. 

28 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

We had the 31st ranked D last year, now the LBs are younger, faster, & better tacklers, plus we have a true NT. Definitely headed in a much better direction than last year. 

Now that is a much better assessment. I agree things 'look' good. Hope you are right about the magnificent bit!

So what was the point of signing Woods? I know Ballard stresses depth/competition...but it seems like a relatively expensive way of obtaining it...and for a player who has no-long term. They could have drafted a NT that cost 1/5 that amount...and one that could have been developed. 

It's not a lot of money either way...just a curious move by Ballard.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

So what was the point of signing Woods? I know Ballard stresses depth/competition...but it seems like a relatively expensive way of obtaining it...and for a player who has no-long term. They could have drafted a NT that cost 1/5 that amount...and one that could have been developed. 

It's not a lot of money either way...just a curious move by Ballard.

It's called depth and signing players who are better that what was on the roster last season.

I am not Jim Irsay, therefore, I could not care less what Colts players are being paid.  All I care about is whether the players are good enough or not and whether or not they can all jell as a team that can win and contend for a Super Bowl.  

Honestly, all this concern about salaries is soooo misplaced, wasted energy.  I say, forget what the players make and instead concern yourself with how good they can perform.  As fans, performance is what matters, not what somebody else is paying them.

25 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I am not Jim Irsay, therefore, I could not care less what Colts players are being paid.  All I care about is whether the players are good enough or not and whether or not they can all jell as a team that can win and contend for a Super Bowl.  

Honestly, all this concern about salaries is soooo misplaced, wasted energy.  I say, forget what the players make and instead concern yourself with how good they can perform.  As fans, performance is what matters, not what somebody else is paying them.

Exactly. I am pretty sure that Ballard is keeping an eye on what is spent on who. I am also confident that Irsay is also keeping an eye on the cap after what Polian and son did and what shape the cap was in when they got fired.

5 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard may not be done on the Dline.   He has mentioned a few times that you need plenty of bigger, stronger, faster linemen to make a deep playoff run.  I think we are much closer to having the right Dline and Oline than we have been in a very long time. 

Would love DT Montravious Adams in the 3rd. He has been compared to Jurrell Casey from Pro football focus. Indy could use a talented pass rushing DT for the future. 

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

You're not wrong in what you say as WE the fans aren't writing the checks.  However, I will say that it DOES affect the cap hit with who you sign, which of course affects the ability to sign other players.  That's the only thing that concerns me when I see what a player is being paid.  Hopefully Ballard will be creative enough to find ways to get guys he wants regardless.  The best GM's usually do.

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I disagree, the team is limited by the salary cap so obviously fans have a right to have an opinion on how the team spends it's cap resources and draft resources.  

Our opinion does not matter of course but it's entirely sensible that fans would have an opinion on these things.  

I mean if for example Chris Ballard signed a kicker to a 5 year 75 million dollar deal with 50 million guaranteed, would you not flip your lid?  Because if not you should. A top 5 kicker is worth like 4 million per year and the deal I mentioned above is for $15 million per year.  So that means that's 11 million dollars per year that could have been spent on a better field player (and you can get some good players for $11)  And the guaranteed money means that money would be tied up for probably the next 3 years.  

5 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Hopefully Ballard will be creative enough to find ways to get guys he wants regardless.  The best GM's usually do.

He's signed 12 free agents & there's still roughly $20mil to play with. The creativity is definitely there in that regard, now I just need to see him draft.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I disagree, the team is limited by the salary cap so obviously fans have a right to have an opinion on how the team spends it's cap resources and draft resources.  

Our opinion does not matter of course but it's entirely sensible that fans would have an opinion on these things.  

I mean if for example Chris Ballard signed a kicker to a 5 year 75 million dollar deal with 50 million guaranteed, would you not flip your lid?  Because if not you should. A top 5 kicker is worth like 4 million per year and the deal I mentioned above is for $15 million per year.  So that means that's 11 million dollars per year that could have been spent on a better field player (and you can get some good players for $11)  And the guaranteed money means that money would be tied up for probably the next 3 years.  

I am in agreeance with your concept but the scenario is a little dramatic.