Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Hankins

Everyone

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Sheard got 12.5 Mill guaranteed.     Hankins got 14.5.       Is two million really that much more?

overthecap.com says Sheard got 9.5M fully guaranteed. 

http://overthecap.com/player/jabaal-sheard/280

5 M is significant.  Enough that some of the guaranteed money likely carries over into the 2nd year with Hankins.  

But again not really being critical of the signing I think it's a good signing.  

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

overthecap.com says Sheard got 9.5M guaranteed. 

http://overthecap.com/player/jabaal-sheard/280

5 M is significant.  Enough that some of the guaranteed money likely carries over into the 2nd year with Hankins.  

But again not really being critical of the signing I think it's a good signing.  

Sports says 9.5 guaranteed at signing,  but 12.75 mill is guaranteed total.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jabaal-sheard-7752/

1 minute ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Out go Parry (probably), Mathis, Walden, and Jackson...

In come  Hankins, Sheard, Simon, and Spence. Upgrades all across the board in my mind.. Gotta love this off-season.

I don't think Parry is necessarily gone.  He's still on a rookie contract.  Makes sense to me to keep him around as a backup.  Presuming of course his legal troubles arn't going to cause a problem.  

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why there is so much bashing of Holder and the rest of the media.     They spoke with their sources at Indy.     Odds are,  they spoke to sources for Hankins.       What they reported was likely accurate,  right up until the moment that things changed.

Stories change all the time.      The two sides are apart on terms,  and then they decide to compromise and make a deal.        That's two different stories.       One where there's no deal,   the other where there IS a deal.

Doesn't mean the first story was wrong.      It means things happened, and they clearly did.

Media bashing is a favorite hobby here.....      And I think most of the time,  there's little reason for it.

Stories change all the time, I'm fine with that. Holder's report that this was unlikely clearly left room for things to change, which is what seems to have happened.

I say Holder is bad -- and I say the same about most of the other guys who cover the Colts -- not because he wound up being wrong about this deal, but because of his body of work, especially over the last two years. IMO, they don't do a good job asking questions, they don't cover the issues that actually impact the games, and especially lately, they've been pushing an agenda. I wouldn't bash them if I thought they were doing a good job. I'm critical because I think they're sensational and don't try to provide the kind of information I'm interested in.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sports says 9.5 guaranteed at signing,  but 12.75 mill is guaranteed total.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/jabaal-sheard-7752/

So if we don't cut him after this season he gets another 3.25M guaranteed.  But I think the fully guaranteed number is what's most important.  That's what we are on the hook for right now.  We're only on the hook for the 3.25 M if we keep him for next season.

I suppose it would help to see the Hankins contract structure, but my impression is the 14.5 M is fully guaranteed.  So to me that is significant.  

With the increase in the salary cap, it is not that huge of a jump from the 5 years $46 mil. contract that Damon Harrison got in terms of averages but the team's risk is lower. Harrison got $24 mil. guaranteed, btw.

As opposed to overpaying mid-tier guys like RJF and washed up guys like Andre Johnson, it is a bona fide starter being paid top starter money.

A lot of folks won on this deal, IMO. Props to Irsay for shelling the extra couple million per year on average. Heck, if the Patriots can throw $14 mil. per year at a young cornerback who is somewhat proven, I am fine with Ballard throwing money at a proven DT. The DT position is hard to produce as a rookie, much like OL, compared to skill positions and secondary, and takes much more time for the player to blossom, so FA money well spent.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

With the increase in the salary cap, it is not that huge of a jump from the 5 years $46 mil. contract that Damon Harrison got in terms of averages but the team's risk is lower. Harrison got $24 mil. guaranteed, btw.

As opposed to overpaying mid-tier guys like RJF and washed up guys like Andre Johnson, it is a bona fide starter being paid top starter money.

A lot of folks won on this deal, IMO. Props to Irsay for shelling the extra couple million per year on average. Heck, if the Patriots can throw $14 mil. at a young cornerback who is somewhat proven, I am fine with Ballard throwing money at a proven DT. The DT position is hard to produce as a rookie and takes much more time for the player to blossom, so FA money well spent.

So true So true

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Hints why I said I will give you that.  Technically the season ends in 2007 so that would be 10 years since you want to try and be outspoken here.

yes.... but it's considered part of the 2006 LEAGUE YEAR...... We're now in league year 2017, so 11 years

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think Parry is necessarily gone.  He's still on a rookie contract.  Makes sense to me to keep him around as a backup.  Presuming of course his legal troubles arn't going to cause a problem.  

Whaats happening fellas?

38 minutes ago, cbear said:

Seriously?  Let's say from the beginning of the Dungy era. We've had some decent DT in that time. 

you can't very easily.  Totally different defenses. a 3-4 NT like Hankins is gonna be different than a 4-3 DT like Booger was, who I'd say was one of our best, if not the best of the Dungy Era. Plus, Freeny and Mathis ate QBs alive in that D.  

This is just exciting for obvious reasons. Hankins is a true upgrade at a below average position of need. We can't fix everything in one draft, but this will certainly give us one less thing that needs fixed. I'm a bit giddy because there is just bound to be good LBers availbe in rounds 1 and 2 and good secondary guys through round 3. Anything can happen, but I feel like we are primed to be taking those positions across the first 3 rounds.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

Actually since Hankins has yet to play a down for us he is not the best.  He might be the next Art Jones.  So.....technically your still not right.  Fun game though!

Very true. very true. then again, the question was how does he compare to all the NTs in the past decade, he's better than all them... 

4 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The Star is part of the Gannett conglomerate.  Viciously progressive and anti-American, they hire and pay staffers to echo their agenda - in everything they cover.

I don't know about all of that, and we're not doing politics on this site, so we might as well just leave it at that.

16 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Considering how crucial the NT position is to making the 3-4 defense work, and considering Hankins is one of the best nose tackles in the league, I don't think paying $10M/year over 3 years is too much. This is a good signing. Very pleased!

Is he really one of the best NT in the league?  I've looked all over online and I still can't get a good handle on this guy as to how good he is other than he's better than our previous NT.

Lets pray ILB Reuben Foster slides to #15, Then the entire draft will fall in place (direction). Im not doubting Hassan Reddick, But, I know what my eyes see with ILB Reuben Foster, I thought he was a CB flying aroung the field in the Nation Championship game. I was like dang, #10 plays ILB??? lol

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Maybe not, but he has felonies:

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/CriminalCourtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2017-109199

Best case scenario if convicted:   He gets probation and is able to transfer it.   Heck, the owner is on probation....

April 26th is the pretrial conference.   This is from a public website.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see how anyone cant be happy about this. We needed this badly. Even if Hankins doesn't turn out Very Good or Great, he is better than anyone we have and he has the potential to be Great at only 25 years old. This is actually one of the best Free Agency signings by anyone IMO.

Ask & you shall receive.

6 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Lets pray ILB Reuben Foster slides to #15, Then the entire draft will fall in place (direction). Im not doubting Hassan Reddick, But, I know what my eyes see with ILB Reuben Foster, I thought he was a CB flying aroung the field in the Nation Championship game. I was like dang, #10 plays ILB??? lol

I like Reuben, but he seems to hesitate making a full commitment/ decision, which kind of glues his feet in place for a bit-sometimes too long.... also I have read about some concerns with his football IQ (personally have no idea, but I have read that).... there is no doubt  though that once he decides to commit that he lays it on people.. I just hope that if we draft him those potential issues do not magnify at the next level and he turns into a project.... 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The extra $3.25m doesn't guarantee until the 5th day of the 2018 league year. It's safe to say that it's likely to be earned. 

None of the Ballard contracts have guarantees that have much cap implications. If Hankins plays 2 years , it's sounds to be (I haven't seen the exact details yet) inconsequential.