1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Are you people finished whining now?

nope, they'll still whine

1 hour ago, backshoulderfade said:

Guess we really were all in on Hankins.....y'all:shake:

happy now.....

52 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Wonder what it means for parry

I'd keep him, he's more than capable as a backup.

36 minutes ago, cbear said:

I asked this question in the other thread, but will again here.  Can someone compare him to any other NT or DT we've had here?  

uh...yeah, he's better than any we've had in the last decade.  

Maybe a lot of money but it's good to get a young defensive stud in the building.  A good NT is kind of what we where missing on the DL.  

Langford, Hankins, Anderson doesn't sound too bad too me.  Especially with some good rotational guys like McGill.  

Still have a lot of needs on defense but this fills a big hole.  

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

You weren't going to get a good NT out of the draft this year, IMO. I totally agree with plugging holes in FA and drafting players based on merit, not position. Hankins fills another need. The run defense should be improved this season, for sure.

For sure considering Hankins and maybe getting Anderson and Langford back healthy . 2016 was a total washout for what are our 2 best DL.

I think my favorite part of this deal is this....

Compromise.

Odds are Hankins came DOWN in the number of years....

And the Colts came UP in the number of dollars on a per year basis.

And we met in the middle,  3 years, 30 million.

Even better is that the three years are right in the middle of Hankins' Prime Years!      Perfect!!

Nice effort by Ballard and Irsay to make this happen.    Good for the Hankins crew to compromise as well.

Win-win are my favorite kind of deals.....

I don't know why there is so much bashing of Holder and the rest of the media.     They spoke with their sources at Indy.     Odds are,  they spoke to sources for Hankins.       What they reported was likely accurate,  right up until the moment that things changed.

Stories change all the time.      The two sides are apart on terms,  and then they decide to compromise and make a deal.        That's two different stories.       One where there's no deal,   the other where there IS a deal.

Doesn't mean the first story was wrong.      It means things happened, and they clearly did.

Media bashing is a favorite hobby here.....      And I think most of the time,  there's little reason for it.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Holder is soooo bad...

I will admit, I was wrong on this one. I didn't see Ballard dropping this kind of coin on Hankins. I'm kind of concerned, I don't really think Hankins is the kind of player you pay $10m/year, but there's no question he's going to be one of our best DL and will help the defensive front significantly. Good add, questionable contract, IMO. 

Again - I think it's probably massively front loaded and it's a situation of "use the money now, while we have it, so we can have flexibility in the future". I didn't expect him to get this much money, but we probably didn't like the NT draft class much this year(can't blame them, it's kind of bad). I'm going to wait to see the contract details, but it sounds exactly like a Ballard contract at first sight.

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

nope, they'll still whine

happy now.....

I'd keep him, he's more than capable as a backup.

uh...yeah, he's better than any we've had in the last decade.  

Seriously?  Let's say from the beginning of the Dungy era. We've had some decent DT in that time. 

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Someone tell me how I should feel. I have many emotions going through my head about this signing. 

Depends on what stake you have in Irsay's bank account. If none - you can be happy that the Colts got a quality starter that's instantly going to be our best lineman, IMO.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

and........ this 2017, 2006 is 11 years ago, a decade is 10 years............

Hints why I said I will give you that.  Technically the season ends in 2007 so that would be 10 years since you want to try and be outspoken here.

2 hours ago, Everyone said:

Yeah, also this signing doesn't really go along with what Ballard has been saying.

Ballard never said he wouldn't ever spend big money on a player.

He said he'd be very selective and make sure it was the right player to bring into the Colts' locker room.

This deal is not that much bigger than the one they gave to Sheard.

And the best part, is that it's only 3 years and the years are right in the prime of Hankins' career.

It's a solid deal.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think my favorite part of this deal is this....

Compromise.

Odds are Hankins came DOWN in the number of years....

And the Colts came UP in the number of dollars on a per year basis.

And we met in the middle,  3 years, 30 million.

Even better is that the three years are right in the middle of Hankins' Prime Years!      Perfect!!

Nice effort by Ballard and Irsay to make this happen.    Good for the Hankins crew to compromise as well.

Win-win are my favorite kind of deals.....

I agree. If I could I would give you a LIKE. I think we win and Hankins wins in this deal. At worse he will be Good IMO, I am hoping Very Good or Great.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. If I could I would give you a LIKE. I think we win and Hankins wins in this deal. At worse he will be Good IMO, I am hoping Very Good or Great.

I will share my like with you

2 hours ago, Everyone said:

Yeah, also this signing doesn't really go along with what Ballard has been saying.

He said he's not going to splash in FA but he also said he's going to be opportunistic when he sees great fit of quality, need and value and mentioned getting Maclin in KC as an example. He probably sees Hankins in a similar way.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard never said he wouldn't ever spend big money on a player.

He said he'd be very selective and make sure it was the right player to bring into the Colts' locker room.

This deal is not that much bigger than the one they gave to Sheard.

And the best part, is that it's only 3 years and the years are right in the prime of Hankins' career.

It's a solid deal.

Guaranteed money is significantly higher though. 

I'm not being critical though.  It's not a super huge deal. . . it's not like Hankins got QB money here.  

Good player, fills an important position of need.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Guaranteed money is significantly higher though. 

I'm not being critical though.  It's not a super huge deal. . . it's not like Hankins got QB money here.  

Good player, fills an important position of need.  

I think Sheard got 12.5 Mill guaranteed.     Hankins got 14.5.       Is two million really that much more?