Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Hankins

Everyone

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Considering how crucial the NT position is to making the 3-4 defense work, and considering Hankins is one of the best nose tackles in the league, I don't think paying $10M/year over 3 years is too much. This is a good signing. Very pleased!

Does someone have a link showing where Hankins ranks as a NT? I have no doubt he is an ascending NT but not sure I'd say he's one of the best right now. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Does someone have a link showing where Hankins ranks as a NT? I have no doubt he is an ascending NT but not sure I'd say he's one of the best right now. 

Not sure but many in here wanted him over Poe and thought he was better than Poe and Poe is considered top 5 at that position.

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Don't have the hard facts but the NFL had Poe at 10 and Hankins at 11 in their list of Top FAs

If you really think about it, I would take Hankins over Poe if I could do free agency all over again.

Yes, Poe is the better player right now and was absolutely dynamic before this past year BUT he also has worse of an injury problem than Hankins. That back is highly questionable and he seems to be going downhill to be honest. Not to mention he has played wayyy too many plays as a NT which has probably increased his risk to injuries. Hankins is younger, has more upside, and in my opinion is more well-rounded. 

Hankins with a 3/30 mill deal over Poe's one year deal any day, in hindsight. 

1 minute ago, masnerj said:

If you really think about it, I would take Hankins over Poe if I could do free agency all over again.

Yes, Poe is the better player right now and was absolutely dynamic before this past year BUT he also has worse of an injury problem than Hankins. That back is highly questionable and he seems to be going downhill to be honest. Not to mention he has played wayyy too many plays as a NT which has probably increased his risk to injuries. Hankins is younger, has more upside, and in my opinion is more well-rounded. 

I would too, he is a lot younger so his upside is endless. Poe is a Very Good to Great player but is older and has back issues.

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not sure why he is even tweeting on it

He can tweet whatever he wants, but people would do well to remember that he made his "name" as a trolling, hateful blogger with zero access and less credibility. He claims to have a source, but everything he's shared from his source has failed to come about (he has two weeks left on his most recent prediction, that Manning would join the Colts FO sometime before the draft). He's just another guy with an opinion, definitely not an insider, and for my money, not worth acknowledging. 

JMO

5 minutes ago, masnerj said:

I wasn't excited about Poe. He's older, and has that weird back situation. I'd rather have Hankins, for sure. 

Just now, Superman said:

He can tweet whatever he wants, but people would do well to remember that he made his "name" as a trolling, hateful blogger with zero access and less credibility. He claims to have a source, but everything he's shared from his source has failed to come about (he has two weeks left on his most recent prediction, that Manning would join the Colts FO sometime before the draft). He's just another guy with an opinion, definitely not an insider, and for my money, not worth acknowledging. 

JMO

I used Insider loosely 

My Opinion too

1 minute ago, Superman said:

JMO

I assume you are talking about Bradley Wells lmao 

11 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Utter tosh. Paper teams prove nothing. Let's discuss in December.

I wouldn't use the word "magnificent," but I definitely expect the front seven to be better this season than it's been in a while. Not sure about the pass rush, but run stopping and discipline on the edges should be dramatically improved. Of course, only what happens on the field matters...

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Dont forget OLB that position still will be addressed imo with the 1st or 2nd pick.

That's not as pressing a need as ILB and CB though. We can't start Edwin Jackson, Morrison, and Melvin. Plus those are Grigson guys which Ballard is quickly getting rid of. Two things they had in Chicago and KC when he was there was LBs and CBs.

4 hours ago, SilentHill said:

so is it 14.5 or 15.9GTD?

I still like the deal, instant improvement on defense, and Hankins was better suited for his new role as a 3-4 NT than a 4-3 DT so I think this will end up being a really good deal.

We could never get our moneys worth if he isn`t out there playing a bunch in our 4-2.

#ColtsFans Chris Ballard needs to sign DT Hankins.

(2 mins later, Hankins signs)

#ColtsFans They over paid him

(my point)

Even if the contract is $30/3 years, "some of you guys are crying about the contract. Can I remind you, Hankins is 6-2 320 lbs naturally. We have Parry 6-1 310 lbs playing the nose (NT). COME ON MAN. you stress that we need a guy, then when we get the guy you still complain? 

Hankins is 25 years young and you got 6-2 320 Lbs. for 3 yes/$30 Mill. Its not like he will be playing out of position, We know that he can play and he's in the prime of his career. 

Run stopping lost us making the playoffs, when the Texans ran it down our throats in LOS, the biggest game of our season. With Hankins, a fit Anderson and Langford, Simon and Sheard at OLB, and Id expect a high draft pick at ILB, we should see a clear improvement on run D. Ballard always said 'its all about your fronts'. 

He is backing his statement up. This is a statement of intent.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

#ColtsFans Chris Ballard needs to sign DT Hankins.

(2 mins later, Hankins signs)

#ColtsFans They over paid him

(my point)

Even if the contract is $30/3 years, "some of you guys are crying about the contract. Can I remind you, Hankins is 6-2 320 lbs naturally. We have Parry 6-1 310 lbs playing the nose (NT). COME ON MAN. you stress that we need a guy, then when we get the guy you still complain? 

Hankins is 25 years young and you got 6-2 320 Lbs. for 3 yes/$30 Mill. Its not like he will be playing out of position, We know that he can play and he's in the prime of his career. 

Sad but True

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think my favorite part of this deal is this....

Compromise.

Odds are Hankins came DOWN in the number of years....

And the Colts came UP in the number of dollars on a per year basis.

And we met in the middle,  3 years, 30 million.

Even better is that the three years are right in the middle of Hankins' Prime Years!      Perfect!!

Nice effort by Ballard and Irsay to make this happen.    Good for the Hankins crew to compromise as well.

Win-win are my favorite kind of deals.....

Excellent perspective and way to see it NCF!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!! BOO YAH BABY. Hankins is a monster, and will thrive at NT with us. We just drastically improved our D. Now get a couple EDGE rushers and a corner in the draft and its on baby!!!!!!!

Also. He'll play the nose on base formations, then we'll keep him in there in sub packages too IMO.....Why? Because he's our best DT and maybe....Possibly our best defensive player. Say our base D is Kendall Langford - Johnathan Hankins - Henry Anderson. I expect Anderson to be a beast, but on sub packages one of Langford or Anderson will come out instead of big Hankins. JMO. Which one comes out obviously depends on which of Langford or Anderson is having the best year. My hope is Ridgeway comes in and has a breakout year and starts over Langford, but we shall see.

I don't care about the contract as I believe he'll be a top 3ish nose tackle in the NFL this year.

I'm so happy man!!!!! I mean just. HELL YEAH BABY!!!!!

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I know he got moved out of position. I think I know how good he is, no question he's a really good player. I just never thought he was worthy of $10m/year. If we deploy him in a way that allows him to get pressure on the QB, then we can maximize his value to us. If he's just a two down guy anchoring against the run, then it's not worth it, IMO. 

Yeah I agree. He has to be a 3 down contributor for us at that price. Sure he can't play every snap but he has to be able to contribute on all 3 downs. I like that he is young (just turned 25) so he is entering his prime...but it is a lot of money....a lot. Maybe I'm gun shy with the the Jones deal so fresh and the fact so many others passed over this guy in free agency. Something seems a little desperate about it...seems this deal could have been done a month ago but I could be wrong. I worry he can be the "man" on this dline after being one of the guys benefiting from others on his previous team. I will say this. I pray he balls out...he would be 28 when he is free agent again and could land another nice pay day. You got a great gift...now go out and earn it Jonathan. 

It is exhilarating knowing going into this draft we can focus on lb, secondary, and RB in this draft...the very 3 positions of strength in this draft which is deep we have many early picks to go after those positions. This defense will be young and will have growing pains but I can't wait to see that youth and athleticism make some plays for us...maybe get us a short field from time to time.