Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Day 3 prediction

Kyle

The NFL scouting department earn their living by delivering today. Ballard's philosophy of having more swings will improve his success rate is correct. He has retained his scouting team which also adds to the success rate because it improves open communication.  Can't wait to see the deliverables today.

• Like 1

T.J. Tampa-Corner-Very similiar to Juju and could start day 1 on opposite side if we dont sign a vet.

Jaden Hicks-Safety who has played a lot of box but is thought to be a better deep Safety so could have position flexability like Cross. 

Both were thought to be long gone by this point much like A.D. Mitchell was yesterday when selected.

• Like 4

Yeah, I’ve got my eyes on Tampa and Hicks, but it always seems like teams trade up to get those fallers at the beginning of Day 3.  Too much time for GMs to notice the slide.  Realistically, I like a trio of RBs for this pick - Guerendo, Tracy, or Wright.  Also, I didn’t have any CBs I liked for us after Melton, but I  think DJ James wouldn’t be the worst addition to the corps.  And finally, I’m sure Ballard likes Goncalves for the role I wanted him, but I hold on to a slim hope that McCormick could be our 4th rounder.  My 3rd day mock:

4) DJ James, CB, Auburn

5) Jaylon Carlies, LB, Missouri

5) Trey Taylor, S, Air Force

5) Kimani Vidal, RB, Troy

7) Some small-school, athletic OT

51 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

T.J. Tampa-Corner-Very similiar to Juju and could start day 1 on opposite side if we dont sign a vet.

Jaden Hicks-Safety who has played a lot of box but is thought to be a better deep Safety so could have position flexability like Cross. 

Both were thought to be long gone by this point much like A.D. Mitchell was yesterday when selected.

Our box safeties aren't that great anyway.   I'd like to see Cross develop into a FS.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure how many on day 3 today will make the team but we will see. Daniel Jeremiah just said this is a pretty weak day 3 of the draft. But maybe we will get some PS squad players. 

If teams can't get anymore than practice squad players in round 4 and 5 of a draft it'll be historically bad 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleE Colt said:

If teams can't get anymore than practice squad players in round 4 and 5 of a draft it'll be historically bad 

Colts roster has so many young players and not many holes. It’s why I didn’t think they really needed 7 picks. It’s going to be hard to make the team if your a late round draft pick,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

I'm really not sure why TJ Tampa is still available. I expected him to go in round 2. He's who I want, but I won't get my hopes up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Two corners that seem to fit CB’s liking are:

TJ Tampa & Khyree Jackson.  Both have some baggage but are long & tall.  Jackson is much older (24) than most rookies.  I prefer Tampa over Jackson but, wouldn’t be surprised with either.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I'm really not sure why TJ Tampa is still available. I expected him to go in round 2. He's who I want, but I won't get my hopes up.

He'd be great in the 4th. With three 5ths we could easily trade up but not sure I see it myself 

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts roster has so many young players and not many holes. It’s why I didn’t think they really needed 7 picks. It’s going to be hard to make the team if your a late round draft pick,

We need one or two LBs. there is room on the roster there. Safety roster seems to have holes. Might see a few vets let go during camp.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, r a y s k i said:

Interested in Jaden Hicks and Jaylen Wright mainly, both would provide good value imo

Also think we need to address linebacker depth as well but not sure who could be of interest to us

I agree on Hicks & Wright. TJ Tampa & Troy Franklin are picks that would be hard to pass up as well.

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

We need one or two LBs. there is room on the roster there. Safety roster seems to have holes. Might see a few vets let go during camp.

I wouldn’t mind seeing UNC MLB Cedric Gray or Clemson’s MLB Jeremiah Trotter in the 4th.  If one slipped to the 5th, GRAB THEM!

• Like 1

CB, LB, RB, FS & TE

My top remaining wish list:

TJ Tampa, Trotter jr, Khyree Jackson, Bucky Irving, Jayden Hicks, Cam Hart, Ray Davis, Ja'tavion Sanders, Jaylen Wright, Cade Stover, Jared Wiley.

If we can land TJ Tampa and pickup Simmons or Diggs after the draft this off-season would be a win for me.

14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I just am not sure the quality we are going to find today at safety. It probably won’t be much better than what we have. Ballard does always find gems at LB late though.

• Like 1

We go RB in round 4. Ballard has every opportunity to beat the run and get one of Wright, Allen, or Estime. Keep skipping CB and building a top team at every other position. I also wouldn't mind Malik Mustapha either as we had a top 30 visit with him. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just am not sure the quality we are going to find today at safety. It probably won’t be much better than what we have. Ballard does always find gems at LB late though.

My thoughts exactly. I don't see any safety other than Hicks that would push the needle. 

Get a potential starting caliber CB & LB from draft and grab Simmons or Diggs after the draft we'd be solid imo.

30 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I had him as a 4th round CB. I think he's a bust tbh. Terrible RAS Score and scheme dependent. I'd rather have 5 or 6 other CBs that are still available, even in the 4th round right now. I didn't have him in my top 25 CBs.

2 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

We go RB in round 4. Ballard has every opportunity to beat the run and get one of Wright, Allen, or Estime. Keep skipping CB and building a top team at every other position. I also wouldn't mind Malik Mustapha either as we had a top 30 visit with him. 

RB seems to be the best value pick. Some of these RB’s are studs.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Rodney Thomas II is our starter and he was drafted in 7th round out of Yale. Seems none of our LBs were early round selections...  So I wouldn't be surprised if upgrades can still be found in these later rounds. 

11 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Rodney Thomas II is our starter and he was drafted in 7th round out of Yale. Seems none of our LBs were early round selections...  So I wouldn't be surprised if upgrades can still be found in these later rounds. 

I think Blackmon and Cross are the starters as we sit here today.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think Blackmon and Cross are the starters as we sit here today.

I hope Cross comes around.  He has the physical speed to play FS.  But that position is all about mental speed.  Not sure he’s there yet.  

1 minute ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Do the Colt's continue the trend of selecting players with medical history issues?  All three, so far, have them.  Seems a bit out of the norm.

Dayo 

Blackmon 

Brents

I'm sure there's more but those 3 popped in my head real quick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I would like to see 2 lb’s drafted! I thought that was the biggest position of need before the draft. 

There are still some good options I think.

Gray

Trotter 

Ulofoshio

Jacobs 

Ford

Magee

Definitely anticipate taking 1, but could be 2?

Won't ever usually question Ballard's late round LBers.

Really though he has a pretty good rate in the late rounds on getting some quality players.

Coverage LBs is definitely our biggest weakness and has been since we got the DT spot fortified with Stewart and Davis signings.

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

There are still some good options I think.

Gray

Trotter 

Ulofoshio

Jacobs 

Ford

Magee

Definitely anticipate taking 1, but could be 2?

Won't ever usually question Ballard's late round LBers.

Really though he has a pretty good rate in the late rounds on getting some quality players.

Coverage LBs is definitely our biggest weakness and has been since we got the DT spot fortified with Stewart and Davis signings.

I love Ulofoshio. Would be stoked to get him in round 5.

• Like 1

He has found lb starters in late rounds, but it would be nice to have a lb that was making plays around the line of scrimage instead of 5 yards past the los. That’s why I was never a fan of colt lb number of tackles stats that so many here rave about going back many years. You would have to be really lucky to get a difference making lb late in the draft and why the colts don’t get them.

44 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Do the Colt's continue the trend of selecting players with medical history issues?  All three, so far, have them.  Seems a bit out of the norm.

Most football players have some sort of injury history by the time they are drafted.    Even Peyton Manning, Elway and many others

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

He is not good. I don’t think he will be the starter week one.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah if they don’t sign a vet at FS I think cross will be the FS. I still think they will sign a vet.

It feels like they are going to sign Diggs, or he at least is giving his best effort to try and convince them.

I imagine we will know in the next few days, potentially.

Draft settle up, UDFA. Few releases and couple vet additions.

• Like 2