Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Hankins

Everyone

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ballard saw that at NT he can be productive plus he is young.  Also, he was reportedly looking to sign someone to a longer contract than just one year.  If you believe the reports then he finally found his guy.  I still do not understand why there was little to no market on him.  He has production!

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know he got moved out of position. I think I know how good he is, no question he's a really good player. I just never thought he was worthy of $10m/year. If we deploy him in a way that allows him to get pressure on the QB, then we can maximize his value to us. If he's just a two down guy anchoring against the run, then it's not worth it, IMO. 

I want to say Hankins provided the interior pass rush, while Harrison was the big run stopper last season.

27 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

You are only going to have 5 or 6 years of Luck in his prime, there is no time for a rebuild. About the only thing Grigson did right was not lock the team down with bad contracts. 

Mike Bluem, the Colts Director of Football Administration, our "capologist", is the one responsible for the contract structures, not Grigson. 

2 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Checked Giants message board. Giants fans 50-50 on whether this will hurt the Giants DL.....For what that is worth.

Yep, some think he didn't produce but fail to mention he played out of position. Others are mad he's gone since they signed JPP back for such a big deal instead. They still have Snacks.

I think this really allows us now to focus on truly just taking BPA. Be interesting to see how it all falls, but I think we are in good sport picks wise to name a good number of talented guys with real potential. My biggest question is can and will our staff be able to effectivley implement and develop them, still not sold on that end of things yet.

Definitely excited about this.

If the rumors are true and it really is $15.9M guaranteed and $10.5M in that first year, then even better. We can easily stomach the $10.5 this year and only owing $5.4M beyond year one if something doesn't work out well is actually pretty decent.

If at the beginning of FA someone would have said "You can sign 28 year old Brandon Williams or you can sign 25 year old Johnathan Hankins for 60% of the overall contract value and under 50% of the guaranteed value" i would say Hankins would have been the no-brainer to me.

I personally love the fact that it is NOT one of those 1 year deals and gives us a multi-year deal on a young and talented guy.

i also love that it is not a 5 year deal like Williams got and basically gives us most or all of Hankins' prime years. Having him from age 25-27 is prime. And it works out well for him too. If he performs, he can still hit the streets for another big deal when he reaches Brandon Williams' age.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What isn't it there to like? He just turned 25 and is one of the best NT's in the league. I love this move. IMO, this isn't even close to the Art Jones signing.

Im just being cautious with my hopes here lol. Believe me i want it to pan out but all to many times do free agents not pan out.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

It takes NT off the board as a need now. Seems we're honing in on ILB and CBs in the draft.

Wouldnt rule out another pass rusher at OLB either. Love Harris, Takk, and Rivers to be players for the future of Indy's pass rush. 

Good signing for Indy though. Yes it's a little pricey for a NT, but that position is so vital in having a successful 3-4 defense under Pagano. 

Awesome signing.  Instant young starter in a huge area of need.  He will have a major impact on our defense from run stopping to occupying blocks and helping our new core of young fast linebackers.  When he left Indy and went back to NY and didn't sign right away with the Giants I knew it wasn't over.  I'm so happy.  People shouldn't get all hung up on the money IMO.  I think CB knows what he is doing.  So far I think he's doing a great job in acquiring young ascending talent.  Now the draft.  Can't wait to see if he has any other surprises in store for us. 

5 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

I like it. We have a lot of cap left this year so the contract won't hurt us long term and he will upgrade our D. Ballard is doing a good job so far. Now we need a pass rusher, ILB, CB and a RB. If he nails the draft Colts will make a huge step forward.

This. CB now has 6 picks in the first 4 rounds to fill 4 big needs. Colts are in a great spot heading into the draft. Plus, they still have the flexibility to trade down and pick up another 2nd-4th if their guy will be there later in the 1st.

18 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I guess you have to look at it this way though..... We had the cap money and now we can go into the draft with 1 less glaring need. NT really was very very very very weak. So now you have Edge rusher , CB  as the 2 major need with ILB and safety next in line. If you think the Colts can somehow compete  this year .. It's a great sign. If you think our window is next year , still a very good sign. But like you say , it's pricey for a NT.

You weren't going to get a good NT out of the draft this year, IMO. I totally agree with plugging holes in FA and drafting players based on merit, not position. Hankins fills another need. The run defense should be improved this season, for sure.

Really surprised at this. I guess Ballard came  back on what he said about not putting out big money for free agents.

It's a lot of money but Hankins is proven and an instant starter and a huge upgrade. Another way to look at this is that Ballard brought in a lot of people at a fair rate that saved enough money to bring in a top name defensive tackle

Looks to me like a CB or Edge round 1

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

Really surprised at this. I guess Ballard came  back on what he said about not putting out big money for free agents.

It's a lot of money but Hankins is proven and an instant starter and a huge upgrade. Another way to look at this is that Ballard brought in a lot of people at a fair rate that saved enough money to bring in a top name defensive tackle

Looks to me like a CB or Edge round 1

I think Ballard had his eye on Hankins for the last few weeks and just played possum with the thought. He likes him better than Poe so that tells me a lot. Probably his age being only 25.

With Simon and Sheard and Hankins + a healthy Vontae our Defense is looking better. The 3 new key additions are all young too. We just need a Good Pass Rusher and another CB to play opposite of Vontae. I am glad we re-signed Butler because of how thin our Secondary is. 

Ballard gets a high grade from me with these moves alone = Re-signing Doyle, trading Allen for an extra 4th Round pick, re-signing Butler, then getting younger by signing Simon, Sheard, and Hankins. Simon and Sheard both are Good, Hankins is Very Good and fills a huge void on our D.Line. I cant wait for the Draft, Andrew Luck having his surgery when he did was smart too. He will be 100% by July. I would love if we drafted Lamp in Round 1, then go Defense with the next 2 picks = a Pass Rusher and a CB, then maybe draft a RB, hopefully Foreman or Hunt is there in Round 4? Lamp playing with Kelly would make our O.Line pretty respectable.