Robert Mathis

Eric Walden

Mike Adams

Dwight Lowery

Jarrell Freeman

Adam Vinatierri

Pat McAfee

I can go on.....

But I think you're mixing up "over paying" with some players who "under performed"....

There's a difference....

I was making a joke why I type lol, 

But since we on the topic , I guess the market dictates player prices but out of that list let see who has under performed 

Walden

Mathis

Castanzo

But we don't have to go over grigson moves overall he wasn't good at drafting, free agents signing or retaining out own. 

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Have to think Swoope will be back. The ERFA tender is extremely cheap. That being said, I wouldn't  mind a late round pick on a guy like Jake Butt who will probably need a redshirt year coming off injury.

I think Jake Butt and Jack Doyle are very similar players. I think Indy is fine at TE going forward even if they were to trade or release Allen. I think Doyle and Swoope, if he continues to progress, is good enough. Indy mostly needs a great running game on offense to help out Luck more than anything else.

I think he'll be our #1 TE next year. DA can come in to block, hopefully he can actually stay healthy maybe play all 16 that's probably asking too much. Maybe he can work on his route running and creating separation and if not he'll be gone. So happy Jack is Back

5 hours ago, ricker182 said:

Hope we didn't overpay.  

Doyle is solid, but he's not a top tier paid player.

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Anything more then 5 mil and I'll be upset

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2nd best weapon on the team behind TY. Great news! Guy has Great hands and he's young.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I disagree. Doyle has the best hands for a TE in the league.

It is not his fault he was not being utilized more down field.

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yeah, talk about a gem.  A good blocking TE that happens to have soft hands?  Please and Thank You.

5 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

we overpaid for him. We must be willing to let Allen go or have him restructure   

Definitely didn't overpay for him, shame on those of you who think that. And thumbs up to those of you who like the deal 

3 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

... Every team has to have that guy who can step up and get you a fresh set of downs instead of a punt out of a third-and-six. Nothing flashy, just nine yards when you needed six, or five yards when you needed three. Glad they got this one right.

Well put, and when you think about it you could argue that it is actually a premium skill set, getting a fresh set of downs. A certain team that shall be kept nameless can often move the chains at will with dink and dunk. You're not going to the SB without that ability, IMHO.

We finally have a player that Luck trust as a go-to guy on short yardage, so I regard it as critical that we retained Doyle. Was getting tried of Luck forcing long throws to Hilton.

Could we find someone else then Doyle? Sure. Could we find someone else that Luck trust and clicks with? Not sure at all. 

Excellent signing at a respectable price.

39 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Why is it impossible to have a positive topic (I think Doyle bring resigned is anyway), without the usual crowd bashing another player and/or Grigson. 

Do some people actually enjoy being miserable? 

Its not so much that they enjoy it, but they cant deal with other people being happy while they arent. That is why they complain on the internet. haha

8 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I can sum up my entire feelings on this move in just one word: good decision.

that's two words.....

6 hours ago, HOF19 said:

Maybe......Maybe and only if he comes very cheap ( as a back up).......San Francisco 49ers safety Antoine Bethea has been granted his release.

Eh, I think if we were gonna get an over the hill safety, Adams would have just been re-signed.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good signing I guess.   I don't see any team giving us anything for Allen.  

The Colts need to get some defensive help signed.   I'd be good with Bethea at a good price.

Just how much does Bethea have left in his tank, i mean he's 32.... and I think Mike Adams had a better last couple of years.   

10 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I can sum up my entire feelings on this move in just one word: good decision.

To the few who pointed out I used two words, that was the whole point of the post, although if you include the words leading up to my not very witty punch line, I actually used 16 in total, and one bit of 'special' punctuation. And if I now add up all these words as well, it takes me to seventy eight.

If it is a 4th & 1, would you rather throw it to Doyle or DA? I think the answer justifies the decision, IMO. :) 

Don't tell me, a screen to Turbin, that is not an option, lol :) 

The underneath high-percentage passing game is what the best offenses are based on in the NFL. It would be unwise to not recognize that. 

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Just how much does Bethea have left in his tank, i mean he's 32.... and I think Mike Adams had a better last couple of years.   

I think he has a few years left.   He was pretty good the past 2 seasons.   Definitely better than what we currently have.   While I too like  us getting younger, I am not wanting to wait a couple years for them to compete.   Luck is in his prime and having Bethea helping to train his replacement would be nice.

8 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Definitely didn't overpay for him, shame on those of you who think that. And thumbs up to those of you who like the deal 

Ashamed?  I can debate the details, cant I?  Why only 3 years if he is worth the money?  I like Jack but 3 years 19mil is HIGH

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Ashamed?  I can debate the details, cant I?  Why only 3 years if he is worth the money?  I like Jack but 3 years 19mil is HIGH

actually, its not... that averages to a shade over 6 million a year.  that's right about the league average for a starting TE..... 2016 league average for a starting TE was 7.2 million...... just saying

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

That is what he would have gotten on the open market in all likely hood.  He had a good season last year and is young.  That's what gets you paid as a free agent.

I know but the 3 years is the most troubling part, Yes is he young so why not 4-5 years

Probably because a lot of our young OL would be up for re-signing around the time Doyle's contract is done and Andrew Luck's cap hit is $27 mil. plus in 2019 and $28 mil. plus in 2020. If the salary cap does go up as expected, they might do an extension after year 2 with Doyle if he performs as expected, but they don't want to take the chance without knowing what kind of cap increase really materializes.

I know but the 3 years is the most troubling part, Yes is he young so why not 4-5 years

Not really troubling.  We dont know the details, Maybe Jack himself only wanted a 3 year contract.  Think about it, a 3 year contract gives him a chance to get one, maybe two more BIG paydays if he continues to ball out while he's still young. he'd be 29 at that point vs 31 with a 5 year contract.   So with the salary cap still expected to rise, he can gain another 2-3 mil a year easy in just 3 years.  Makes total sense from his perspective.

From the Colts perpective, it doesn't lock down a player who is coming off a break out year to a super longterm contract.  They can cut him after 2 years for little hit or let him walk if he fails to produce.  

Personally, other than Luck, there's nobody on the team I think warrants a 5 year contract, not even TY or Vontae.

18 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I don't know that Jack is so proven that a 4-5 year deal would make sense.   TE is many times a plug and play position. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

This needed to happen. I would use Allen in a package deal to either move up or acquire another pick. No need for Doyle (the number 1 TE) and Allen both to be on the roster making number 1 money.

No one would trade for Allen on his salary.  We made a huge mistake in extending him.  

We are probably going to live with that mistake for one more year before he's released.