Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rob Chudzinski: "We need Dorsett, it's time"

TKnight24

T.Y. Hilton will probably be matched up with the CB we should've taken when he fell directly in our laps (Xavier Rhodes) so this will definitely be the game if any other one wasn't for Dorsett to finally make an impact. Especially with Moncrief nursing a hamstring injury 

More updates to come soon........ stay tuned 

If, by week 17, we're out of playoff contention, we need to use that game to boost his confidence. Force-feed the ball to him constantly until he finally does something. He has a ton of talent, he just needs the mindset that he IS going to make something happen when his name is called upon. Basically, he needs to have the type of mindset TY has in that he can and will do anything to win

45 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Bubble screens would be nice, you just can`t do it with Hilton or one of our slow ___  guards as one of the blockers.

I was kind of hoping for him to stretch the field.  I figured that's how the Colts would use him.  And at least one dead go route, throw it no matter what, keep the safeties honest would be nice to see once a game or so. 

I'm not sure what standard or advanced in the linked stats for Dorsett really mean but the 5.5 air yards per target to him this year isn't working.  I'd send him on go routes, posts, flags, deep.  Use that speed, and maybe the middle opens up a little more for Gore for starters, and other WRs down the seams and across the middle.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/phillip-dorsett/

Dorsett may already be losing his first round luster with the Colts staff, because of his lack of on-field translation of weekly practices/meetings. It's hard for me to just write him off though, because of his measurables. And as others have posted before, Reggie took 3 seasons to start making noise. I know he'a not #87, and shouldn't be compared but maybe he(Dorsett) is just in a similar begginers curve. 

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

I actually think we need more Chester Rogers. It's time.

^This

11 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Then use him the way he should be used slants, quick comeback routes, maybe a screen not a play where it takes 10 seconds to develop the complete route then wonder why luck is on the ground

I think he should be used the same way Atlanta uses Gabriel. Atlanta vs Arizona highlights are eye opening.

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

Still not a fan on how he is used, I'd like too see him used kinda as a gadget player like others have suggested. And the Warner Rhodes situation is exactly why you pick BPA to an extent.

Grigson has said he takes BPA, which suggests taking Werner over Rhodes was them going BPA.  I'm strongly against blindly taking BPA.  If the highest ranked player on your draft board is a receiver every time it's your pick, you'd be a fool to take a receiver each pick.  You have to take all kinds of things into account.  However, that's another story, unrelated to this thread.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Grigson has said he takes BPA, which suggests taking Werner over Rhodes was them going BPA.  I'm strongly against blindly taking BPA.  If the highest ranked player on your draft board is a receiver every time it's your pick, you'd be a fool to take a receiver each pick.  You have to take all kinds of things into account.  However, that's another story, unrelated to this thread.

I was just going to say, IMO, Werner is the biggest example of Grigson reaching for need. We don't know their board or strategy, but if you asked me, Rhodes was BPA, and Werner was a needs-based pick.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was just going to say, IMO, Werner is the biggest example of Grigson reaching for need. We don't know their board or strategy, but if you asked me, Rhodes was BPA, and Werner was a needs-based pick.

As far as I know, Grigson has always said he goes BPA.  That's why I assume he went BPA with Werner.  For all I know, they may have had Rhodes ranked higher, but Grigson has said his philosophy is to go BPA, so I assumed that's what he did there.

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

As far as I know, Grigson has always said he goes BPA.  That's why I assume he went BPA with Werner.  For all I know, they may have had Rhodes ranked higher, but Grigson has said his philosophy is to go BPA, so I assumed that's what he did there.

That's absolutely a fair assumption, based on his own words. I'm obviously influenced by my own opinion of the players -- even before the draft, I was "meh" on Werner, high on Rhodes, and former poster here dubbed me as a "Cornerbackite" because we needed Freeney's replacement. I'm also influenced by my own philosophical beliefs about draft strategy.

8 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Key word was "to an extent" and it really wasn't until the past 2 drafts he has said BPA and it's shown because the past 2 drafts have been above average.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

the past 2 drafts have been above average.

2015 draft in review

1. A guy who should not be on the team

2. A Guy whos not on the team

3. Ow my knees.

4. Ow my head

5. David Parry

6. A guy whos not on the team

7. A guy whos not on the team

8. The guy we threw at right tackle/guard because the guy(s) we originally put there are basically dead.

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

That's what you should assume. Some people say that was one time he drafted for need because it sounds better than Ryan Grigson had a higher grade on Werner than Rhodes.

7 hours ago, jet1968 said:

After a couple of seasons if he hasnt stepped up yet then more then likely he wont.

Yep, unfortunately true...Dorsett just doesn't have good enough hands to be a good NFL receiver....another player drafted way too high by the Head Scout playing GM.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's what you should assume. Some people say that was one time he drafted for need because it sounds better than Ryan Grigson had a higher grade on Werner than Rhodes.

In the post-draft press conference, he said something like "again, we went with the highest player on our board" when talking about Holmes.  I can only assume they did the same thing with Werner, especially since he's so adamantly BPA. 

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Chud will have to design plays for him where the need for timing and accuracy are not necessary.
 Same for Moncrief.

Your first sentence made me chuckle pretty good BBZ. I won't lie.  Why would a WR need those things?haha

I, respectfully, beg to differ with you on Donte though. Moncrief has good hands & is where Luck expects him to be. 

The more I watch Dorsett; the more I notice his lack of height is a liability in pocket collapse situations. Look, he wasn't worth a 1st round draft pick. 

6 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

giphy.gif 

I must confess to you NB. I stared at this picture for awhile scratching my head wondering what you were driving at. Then, the headline hit me: ""We need Dorsett, it's time." As in, time's a wasting son, let's go. Andrew needs better clutch catching from you. 

Honestly, I kept thinking of "the clock game" from the Price is Right game show. Did anybody win a computer or pool table in under 60 seconds? Just joking around. :thmup:

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I must confess to you NB. I stared at this picture for awhile scratching my head wondering what you were driving at. Then, the headline hit me: ""We need Dorsett, it's time." As in, time's a wasting son, let's go. Andrew needs better clutch catching from you. 

Honestly, I kept thinking of "the clock game" from the Price is Right game show. Did anybody win a computer or pool table in under 60 seconds? Just joking around. :thmup:

tbh, I didn't even understand it when I first found it, and I was LOOKING for something clever haha 

But yeah. Please Dorsett, now is the time. I want him to do really well with the Colts. He's got all the tools, he's just gotta make it happen. I would not be opposed to the idea of force feeding him the ball, at least a little bit to get his confidence back and hopefully have him revved for next season. Hey, it's not like the Colts got anything to lose at this point.

Just mix in some screens, slants and short routes to go along with those go routes, please Chud?