Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is This Seriously The 2015 Colts Defense?

Pacergeek

Does the fact that Grigson/Pags were willing to cut Chapman and Hughes to start Parry and Anderson not make you feel somewhat confident?

I really like the potential of Anderson, but the above simply tells me chapman and Hughes are not very good.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Added Nate Irving (a stud run stopper; such a luxury to have him as a backup)

- Added Trent Cole (veteran pass rusher)

- Added Parry and Anderson (those of us that followed their careers at standard understand why they immediately displaced the under-performing duo of Chapman and Hughes; these 2 set-up outstanding moves together along Stanford's defensive line; yes these 2 are rookies but DL is a position in which NFL rookies can make an impact early on)

- Added Kendall Langford (an absolute perfect fit for the Colts' 3-4)

- Added Dwight Lowery (he will look like the second coming of Ronnie Lott compared to Steroids McGee Landry)

- Added DJ Smith (kid has a bright future and immediately bolstered secondary depth; allowed for the release of Josh Touchdown-Allowing Gordy)

- Added Clayton Geathers (finally someone that can create matchup problems from a defensive perspective; has the size to cover TEs and the speed to cover RBs out of the backfield)

- Robert Mathis returns (enough said)

Sio Moore, T.Y. McGill, etc.

I'd say the defense had a pretty major overhaul.

The former players were NOT getting the job done.  Let's give this new group a shot. 

Two rookies starting on the d-line(a 3rd and 5th round draft pick) does call for some concern. At least some. I know. I know. They are both better than what they replaced. We know all know this with all their nfl regular season game tape...

In all seriousness I hope they both pan out and both very well could. But it is extremely naive to be confident about 2 mid round rookies starting at crucial part of our defense. They both could end up being downgrades. Its just way early to come close to knowing.

But I'm worried. Defense could be solid though, but could not be. But we shall only find out with time.

I truly thought Grigson would do something to improve a defense that got shredded by NE twice last season. Instead of aggressively trying to improve the defense, with his trademark "swing for the fences" trades, Grigson has done really nothing to improve it. He cut two of his terrible draft picks in Chapman and Hughes, and replaced them with two more of his draft picks. With Grigson's poor draft record, I have no choice but to be pessimistic on both Parry and Anderson. I just can't help but think that more should have been done to improve the defense, and it appears that Grigson has again failed upgrading our defense

How you have suffered these three years under Grigson!      You poor, poor fan.....    (sniff, sniff...)

After falling to 2-14,  then Grigson takes over in 2012 and his team wins 11 games his first year and he's voted NFL GM of the year.

Then, in 2013,  the Colts win 11 games again and they win a playoff game.

Then, in 2014,  the Colts win 11 games again and they win TWO playoff games before losing to the eventual Super Bowl champs.

I don't know how you've survived with all that torture?!? 

Guess what....  unless Andrew Luck gets injured,  odds are pretty good the Colts will win the division once again and have another run in the playoffs.    How will you spend your Sundays?

Wow, you're up to 27 posts and it's yet ANOTHER Grigson SUCKS post.     At least you're consistent!     :thmup:

Oh,  and to answer your question you first asked.....    YES!   This is the Colts defense.....

NONE of those players have cash strapped the team. Grigson has pre-loaded the deals in order to help the Colts get out of the contract as quickly as needed. Landry, Thomas, Cherilous, and RJF were all let go before their larger cap hits affected the team. To put it bluntly, they were used and then sent on their way. Thomas was really the only one who got paid for not really doing anything and he really didn't cost the Colts much. Jones could possibly be the one who will have cost the Colts without giving much production. Regardless, Grigson has done an excellent job of maintaining the cap structuring contracts to allow early releases/cap savings if players don't pan out.

I would say auditioned instead of used.

How you have suffered these three years under Grigson! You poor, poor fan..... (sniff, sniff...)

After falling to 2-14, then Grigson takes over in 2012 and his team wins 11 games his first year and he's voted NFL GM of the year.

Then, in 2013, the Colts win 11 games again and they win a playoff game.

Then, in 2014, the Colts win 11 games again and they win TWO playoff games before losing to the eventual Super Bowl champs.

I don't know how you've survived with all that torture?!?

Guess what.... unless Andrew Luck gets injured, odds are pretty good the Colts will win the division once again and have another run in the playoffs. How will you spend your Sundays?

Wow, you're up to 27 posts and it's yet ANOTHER Grigson SUCKS post. At least you're consistent! :thmup:

Oh, and to answer your question you first asked..... YES! This is the Colts defense.....

Maybe he/she should go back to watching the Pacers

I truly thought Grigson would do something to improve a defense that got shredded by NE twice last season. Instead of aggressively trying to improve the defense, with his trademark "swing for the fences" trades, Grigson has done really nothing to improve it. He cut two of his terrible draft picks in Chapman and Hughes, and replaced them with two more of his draft picks. With Grigson's poor draft record, I have no choice but to be pessimistic on both Parry and Anderson. I just can't help but think that more should have been done to improve the defense, and it appears that Grigson has again failed upgrading our defense

Why because you have a crystal ball?  We haven't even played yet.  Is there some kind football manual that says rookie starters equals doomsday guaranteed?  Of course there isn't.

I don't think ANYONE knows what to expect of the D.  There are so many new faces there that it's very tough to tell until they start playing.  I think the strength of the D is the LB corp.  But who knows?  I do NOT think watching last season is a good comparison though because of the turnover, especially up front.  Could be better, could be worse, could be about the same.  We will find out soon though.

Those concerned that we have rookies starting on the line need to consider this; they beat out players existing from the roster last year. So much so that they were deemed completely unnessessary.

Our linebacking corps is many times better as a whole than last seasonm Our secondary is improved. We started last year with Laron Landry as a starter. We have more pass rushers inside and outside. The great Robert Mathis is returning and looks pretty good by all indications.

I'm not saying we will be top anything by the end of the season but they have enough to get the job done.

As for Sunday, Rex is going to look bad because our D will make his putrid offense look bad.

Im just going to wait and see what happens This however is the mentality the defense needs on every single snap from every single player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZ8S76gcG0

Pagano is big on inspirational quotes and or speeches, He needs to show that. Quite honestly if their is one defender on the team that don't get inspired by that mentality then I think they are on the wrong team and or wrong sport

Well to end the discussion those who were cut either were unhealthy or just sucked had plenty of time to show what they could do and then got outworked by ROOKIES against the same quality opponents in the preasoson both parry and Anderson got 1st team reps as did Hughes and chapman and the Stanford duo stood out against number 1-4 stringers better than chap and Hughes did soo idk why people would be satisfied with keeping the two who did nothing over the "rookies" who outperformed them

Grigson's poor draft record?

From his first draft -- Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen have all been very good for us -- he nailed it with his first 4 picks.  Vick Ballard had a very good rookie year and is still on our roster.  LaVonn Brazill got in off-field trouble, otherwise he was starting to look pretty good.  Josh Chapman was a 5th round pick -- he didn't pan out, but how often is it that GM's nail picks later than round 5?  We also still have a UDFA on our roster from that draft in Griff Whalen.

His 2nd draft his weakest so far -- but we have a starting C, a guard who could start by the end of the year, and Werner (who has been a disappointment).  Our first 3 picks are still with us, guys taken after round 5 haven't panned out.  Hughes had a lot of upside with his size and speed, but he never seemed to be able to develop the strength and maybe lacked the work ethic to make it.  Boyett got in off-field trouble and I believe Justice Cunningham was in trouble for PED use.

3rd draft -- Mewhort, a starter for us.  Moncrief is primed to play a big role in this offense and on STs this year.  Newsome had a very strong rookie campaign. Ulrick John is still part of the organization.  UDFA's Erik Swoope, Dewey McDonald, Zack Kerr, and Jonotthan Harrison are all still with the organization.

So, in reality, Grigs has done a pretty good job before round 5 and a not so good job after round 5.  Believe me, not many GMs are consistently getting results from guys after than the first 3 rounds.

His sample size is still very small - but I would not go so far as to say his draft record is poor.  All of the players from this past draft are still part of the organization and he had another UDFA make the roster.  Time will tell on how this class turns out, but it is way too early to tell if this he did a 'poor' job this time around.

If you noticed in your post every player that worked out is on offense besides a backup OLB in Newsome. The posters thread is about defense...  just saying!

Signed Trent Cole

Signed Kendall Langford

Signed Nate Irving

Signed Dwight Lowery

Drafted David Parry

Drafted Henry Anderson

Drafted D'Joun Smith

Drafted Clayton Geathers

Traded for Sio Moore

Let's not act like he hasn't done anything to improve the defense.

It's obvious the coaching staff is putting a premium on getting to the QB with 

this mass overhaul of the defense. Fat guys 'trying to' clog up the middle

with no penetration are gone and are replaced with smaller/quicker guys

with the sole purpose of getting up field.

I can't wait to see what this defense can do!

whenever i see a grigson "move" or trade or anything, I now have my doubts.  There was a time when a "Grigson Move" was one where you would seriously think, "man, this is going to pay dividends", but that is NOT the case any longer.  Moves like Adongo, Richardson, & Werner, and numerous others made me think he knew what he was doing.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

whenever i see a grigson "move" or trade or anything, I now have my doubts. There was a time when a "Grigson Move" was one where you would seriously think, "man, this is going to pay dividends", but that is NOT the case any longer. Moves like Adongo, Richardson, & Werner, and numerous others made me think he knew what he was doing.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Is adongo starting sunday?

I hope that we are not going back to the Tony Dungy times with a light fast DL and not being able to stop the run.

Very different scenario.  The guys we have now are somewhat smaller than the guys we had previously, but they're still right around typical size for a team running a 1-gap defense.  So while the guys we have are smaller now, I wouldn't consider any of them "undersized" for the type of defense they'll be running.

My only concern is, I wish they had more time together with OTAs and training camp.

Understand Parry and Anderson have been playing side by side for years before now,...so they have a rep with each other.  Langford is a seasoned vet who knows how to implant himself. 

But yes, I fully expect them to slowly 'gel' together as the season progresses.

whenever i see a grigson "move" or trade or anything, I now have my doubts.  There was a time when a "Grigson Move" was one where you would seriously think, "man, this is going to pay dividends", but that is NOT the case any longer.  Moves like Adongo, Richardson, & Werner, and numerous others made me think he knew what he was doing.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I've been very critical of Grigs, but he's made a lot of great moves.  The Vontae trade was an absolute steal, and the contract he was able to negotiate with Vontae is great for the team when you compare it to what other top corners are getting.  He found Freeman from the CFL and Freeman has become a solid starter.  Taking Fleener in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft has paid dividends even though many (including myself) wanted us to take someone else.  I'm not saying every move he makes is great, but it's not like every move he makes is terrible.  Most recently, the acquisition of Sio Moore was an excellent deal, in my opinion

I've been very critical of Grigs, but he's made a lot of great moves.  The Vontae trade was an absolute steal, and the contract he was able to negotiate with Vontae is great for the team when you compare it to what other top corners are getting.  He found Freeman from the CFL and Freeman has become a solid starter.  Taking Fleener in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft has paid dividends even though many (including myself) wanted us to take someone else.  I'm not saying every move he makes is great, but it's not like every move he makes is terrible.  Most recently, the acquisition of Sio Moore was an excellent deal, in my opinion

Absolutely agree.  What I'm saying is that there was a day when I thought he could do no wrong, but dang, I guess he's human.  At the same time, he has cost of dearly with a few draft pick sacrifices and contracts.