Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson [Merge]

LordHelpOurColts

Has this been posted ?

Sources tell the Indianapolis Star Trent Richardson's absence from the Colts' walk-through and team flight before the AFC Championship Game was due to "serious complications" with his girlfriend's pregnancy.

Per the sources, T-Rich's girlfriend was "experiencing contractions and appeared to be in premature labor at just 28 weeks of pregnancy." That would certainly be a valid reason to miss a walk-through, but sources say T-Rich didn't alert the team in a "timely manner." It's an important issue, as Richardson's resulting suspension means his fully guaranteed $3.184 million for 2015 could be voided. If the Colts take that step, they'll undoubtedly have a fight on their hands.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/02/17/conduct-detrimental-colts-trent-richardson-odds/23580037/

There's the full story from Holder. He's dug through some of the details to put it more into perspective, as far as how the rules apply and what the procedure would be. 

The one thing Holder missed is that the Colts can't withhold his salary. It's already in escrow. They can claim that he's not entitled to it, and it would be subject to a grievance and hearings and appeals and all that. But they can't just refuse to cut a check. That's what the escrow provision is there for.

Ultimately, this seems pretty black and white to me. If he missed walkthrough and didn't tell anyone, that's an actionable offense. Especially on top of other issues, like a previously missed team meeting, failure to make weight, etc. A suspension isn't out of the ordinary under those circumstances. With a phone call, there would likely have been no suspension. (This is all based on the presumption that what's been reported is accurate.)

And none of this matters unless they release him, which hasn't happened yet.

Edit: Sort of related, the NFLPA has filed a grievance on behalf of Josh Gordon, claiming that he shouldn't have been suspended for missing a special teams meeting. His one game suspension keeps him from getting credit for an accrued season in 2014, delaying his eligibility for free agency by a year.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/02/17/conduct-detrimental-colts-trent-richardson-odds/23580037/

There's the full story from Holder. He's dug through some of the details to put it more into perspective, as far as how the rules apply and what the procedure would be. 

The one thing Holder missed is that the Colts can't withhold his salary. It's already in escrow. They can claim that he's not entitled to it, and it would be subject to a grievance and hearings and appeals and all that. But they can't just refuse to cut a check. That's what the escrow provision is there for.

Ultimately, this seems pretty black and white to me. If he missed walkthrough and didn't tell anyone, that's an actionable offense. Especially on top of other issues, like a previously missed team meeting, failure to make weight, etc. A suspension isn't out of the ordinary under those circumstances. With a phone call, there would likely have been no suspension. (This is all based on the presumption that what's been reported is accurate.)

And none of this matters unless they release him, which hasn't happened yet.

Edit: Sort of related, the NFLPA has filed a grievance on behalf of Josh Gordon, claiming that he shouldn't have been suspended for missing a special teams meeting. His one game suspension keeps him from getting credit for an accrued season in 2014, delaying his eligibility for free agency by a year.

I think delaying Gordon's free agent season will be a moot point. As for TR , my guess would all of the obvious. He's cut , Colts claim he's not due the 2015 base and a grievance follows.

I think delaying Gordon's free agent season will be a moot point. As for TR , my guess would all of the obvious. He's cut , Colts claim he's not due the 2015 base and a grievance follows.

Agreed on both counts, sadly. Gordon is a monster, and could be one of the very best receivers in the league, and Richardson was a phenomenal prospect. The Browns had both. Imagine if they had worked out.

Youre telling me the colts suspended Richardson because he didn't call them when he was absent for a walkthrough concerned about his unborn child? That's pretty crappy of the colts

That was only the latest in a series of transgressions ... he could have sent a text to someone letting them know in about 15 seconds.  He got paid way more than he earned anyway, I have 0 sympathy for him.

Youre telling me the colts suspended Richardson because he didn't call them when he was absent for a walkthrough concerned about his unborn child? That's pretty crappy of the colts

I let my employer know every time I went to the doc/hospital with my pregnant wife. Yes, some were emergencies. IMO, there's a lot more to the story and this is what broke the horse's back.

Agreed on both counts, sadly. Gordon is a monster, and could be one of the very best receivers in the league, and Richardson was a phenomenal prospect. The Browns had both. Imagine if they had worked out.

Yeah the Browns made what looked to be a brilliant move taking Gordon in round 2 of the supplemental draft. If they didn't trade up for TR , they keep their 4th , 5th and 7th. Minn either trades out of 3 or just drafts Kalil. Cleve either has TR fall in their lap or would get Kali , who was pretty good as a rookie and pretty bad since. Or they probably take Blackmon ? I think unless they traded out of 1.4 , they were pretty much going to draft a dud at that spot.

I don't know what type of job you have but if I don't call in, it's called a no show. That's near terms for termination and can be under certain circumstances. We don't know all the little stuff that he had been cited for, if any.

I'm ready to just move on from Trent either way.

Trent shouldn't had signed a contract like that. That's on him and his agent

The question becomes what are fair and legal grounds for the suspension which would allow the Colts to void the contract?

A pregnant girlfriend dealing with complications over child birth may not qualify as a legit reason to suspend Trent.

I personally think that's iffy.....

But you and others may feel differently.    As the saying goes,  your mileage may vary.

The question becomes what are fair and legal grounds for the suspension which would allow the Colts to void the contract?

A pregnant girlfriend dealing with complications over child birth may not qualify as a legit reason to suspend Trent.

I personally think that's iffy.....

But you and others may feel differently.    As the saying goes,  your mileage may vary.

I agree with this.  They made a bad trade and are seemingly trying to get out from under the rest of the contract but to me are stretching the definition of "conduct detrimental."  As noted in the story, there are other things that Richardson did but I am still not sure the list of his transgressions adds up to not paying him.  They are in murky waters here.

I should say if to this whole thing.  All we have seen are vague reports of the Colts' intent but until they actually do something...

Adults in the workplace call their supervisor when there is a family emergceny. Waitresses call the restaurant when they are going to miss work, no matter if they have the flu or their arm caught in the microwave. Construction workers call  the foreman. Warehouse workers call the HR hotline. Soldiers call their sergeant. EVERYONE in the world is expected to call their boss when they are going to miss work, no matter the reason. If that person is not incapacitated, they are expected to call. I bet Ryan Grigson is expected to call Jim Irsay if he has an emergency.

Trent Richardson is an adult. He would have been expected to make contact with someone to let me know that he chose to attend to his family's emergency instead of call work (the walkthrough for the AFC chanmpionship game, by the way -- not a wednesday practice, not ODAs, not just some day at the office, the AFCCG). With the proliferation of modern communications devices, he could have used his cell, used his girlfeind's cell, used the nruses phone, asked the Doctor to borrow his cell. A responsible adult would have found a way to call someone. That is how it is done in the real world.

There is no way this is on the Colts if, in fact, that is what occured with Trent Richardson. And if that is what occured, it seems to me that he would be in breech of contract for his no-call-no-show.

That is not the single reason for the Colts to be unhappy with TRich. Is it just as crappy for TRich to not come to work prepared after cashing the checks? Home problems effect us all but we all have to do our jobs when paid to do them. You can not tell me that TRich couldn't have called or texted someone from the Colts to let them know what was going on. In the real world if you don't call in it's called a no show and most would lose their job. Just because he is a NFL player should he be excused? IMO, no.

Not that deadspin is an actual legitimate source of info, but..........

Anyone in their right mind would call their employer and say "Hey, I'm on the way to the hospital, I'm not coming in to work" 

No call / no shows will get you fired in almost all places of employment. 

The NFLPA will appeal this and win.

This is about state of mind,

When you have a loved one that is in a serious health issue your mind is not functioning like normal. Fear and Hope form a dichotomy that can harm rational thought.

If this is true then the Colts will have to pay TRich

Trent is butt... like really bad.

With that said... shame on the Colts for voiding this contract when the man was with his ailing girlfriend that is carrying his baby. Trent should choose his family every day of the week over ANY football game, including the AFCCG and the SuperBowl.

If Trent was a really good player, I can promise you... they would not have suspended him and been able to void that contract.

After looking into this, this is some slimeball stuff. Has Belichick even done something this slimy? How can Pagano talk that family stuff after this?

#FireGrigsonandPagano

What you think should be done is of no concern. So cheating is not slimy? Belichick has been fined and lost draft picks. I think you are a Patriot fan that just comes in here just to try to brew up crap.

Trents not going anywhere.. it would be dumb to cut him.. colts havent had a rb last a full year in the past ten years.. no matter what you people say trent is a solid depth running back.. you people who want ballard or bradshaw back are crazy.. ballards career is done so is bradshaw

Trents not going anywhere.. it would be dumb to cut him.. colts havent had a rb last a full year in the past ten years.. no matter what you people say trent is a solid depth running back.. you people who want ballard or bradshaw back are crazy.. ballards career is done so is bradshaw

so is Richardson

Not that deadspin is an actual legitimate source of info, but..........

Anyone in their right mind would call their employer and say "Hey, I'm on the way to the hospital, I'm not coming in to work" 

No call / no shows will get you fired in almost all places of employment. 

That's a fact.

What you think should be done is of no concern. So cheating is not slimy? Belichick has been fined and lost draft picks. I think you are a Patriot fan that just comes in here just to try to brew up crap.

Yes, you caught me. I love the Patriots and come here to show my love for them.

TRich sux and most of us knew that when the trade was made. The organization will catch a lot of heat if they use this to void his contract. They shouldn't have made the trade in the first place. Just cut him and pay him what he's owed.

After looking into this, this is some slimeball stuff. Has Belichick even done something this slimy? How can Pagano talk that family stuff after this?

#FireGrigsonandPagano

One you haven't "looked into this" and two Bill had an affair so yes he has.

Trent Richardson sux and he's sucked the moment he was drafted. He's not better than Boom or even Tipton. And both of those guys come cheap.

An affair has nothing to do with football. Lets not bring that kinda conduct up when we have Irsay.

You asked if Bill had done anything this slimy and I gave you one example of him doing something at least as slimy. If you don't want to know, don't ask the question.