Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We should sign Eric Reid

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, CS Coltsfan said:

NO!!! he took a new and continued too... I stand for my Flag and take a knee for the Cross...in that order

Have you ever heard Eric Reid speak and explain his actions and what he was trying to communicate? Is the religiosity  you express here relevant to signing him or his actions or is the stand for the flag take a knee for the cross just something you're parroting back after reading it in one of the many places that idea has already been expressed?

He's a talented player. Pro-bowl talent. However, the only way I'll it see it working here is if we move Geathers into the box. As far as the National Anthem controversy, get over it. Message was convoluted and hijacked. Let's focus on football now.

I wouldn't care, but Reid is a starting safety. We don't need another safety. Hooker is going to be a star FS, and we have two very good options at SS in Geathers and Farley. I'd go with Farley tbh. He was a beast last year, and should have a true breakout season if he takes another big step forward. As for the other.......

The only reason any owner or GM cares about signing a player who didn't stand for the anthem and protesting the wrongdoings going on is because.......It makes certain people get all crazy. So they're scared it'll hurt their rep, the teams rep, hurt on ticket sales, run fans off, etc. Most people understand you have the right to protest. Especially when they're protesting against racism and cops murdering innocent people.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

The only reason any owner or GM cares about signing a player who didn't stand for the anthem and protesting the wrongdoings going on is because.......It makes certain people get all crazy. So they're scared it'll hurt their rep, the teams rep, hurt on ticket sales, run fans off, etc. Most people understand you have the right to protest. Especially when they're protesting against racism and cops murdering innocent people.

Certain people have the right to be upset with the National Anthem being disrespected by the ignorant. Everyone has the right to protest, but it shouldn't be on a employers time nor the patriotic fans time. 

I'm sure Reid, Kap and others could have gotten all the publicity they wanted away from football on Sunday's and the off season to protest, but it's not important now. However, Reid has changed his stance and will no longer protest for employment. Hilarious!  

12 minutes ago, Hoose said:

He’s not as good as people are claiming here. And he’s demanding to get paid big money to sign. Not happening in Coltland. 

No not quite. He's solid. He's not great. He hasn't lived up to his potential but he's still a solid starting safety.

2 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

I will never understand that flag-anthem discussion. I don't see how kneeling during an anthem is a sign of disrespect like religion patriotism/nationalism is only a way of manipulation of the peoples mind. And it works perfectly in the States. 

A certain group of ppl chose to think it’s disrespectful and only focus on that so they can ignore the real issue behind the anthem protest.

Reid is much better than everything we have back there other than Hooker. Every other safety on the roster is bad

I think he would be an excellent backup to Hooker.

As far as the kneeling goes I think he is entitled to protest peacefully. However a large portion of this fan base would disagree which is why they would be happy to hear that he has come out and said the he will end his kneeling protests. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/mar/22/eric-reid-ends-protest-national-anthem

Bottom line: I think if we were to sign him he could put his controversy behind him and excel on the field, gifting us a valuable trade next off season.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

So a safety isn't getting work... and it is because of ____________________

Is that true also for Kenny Vaccaro, Tre Boston, Ron Parker, Corey Grahjam, Darius Butler, and Reggie Nelson?

Quite a few safety's looking for a spot.

Reid is probably the best among those names.

I am a Stanford football fan and Reid's brother Justin played for the Cardinal. I have wondered whether Eric Reid's protests would affect Justin's draft stock. We will find out in 5 weeks or so.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

A certain group of ppl chose to think it’s disrespectful and only focus on that so they can ignore the real issue behind the anthem protest.

Reid is much better than everything we have back there other than Hooker. Every other safety on the roster is bad

What's the real issue?  Protesting against "social injustice" is akin to protesting against "bad things". Narrowing the focus might help.

The stupidity in this thread is amazing.   Protesting is not a one way street.   If you choose to protest, on either side, you choose to accept the consequences of the protest.   People have a right to protest,  but others have a right to condemn or praise the protest.  If those that are condemning the protest are your employers, well then you are going to have trouble finding a job.  

If Reid is so good why did San Francisco let him go?

In before lock.

I don't know if the Colts have a strong enough of a locker room to possibly deal with any sort of stance on an issue which can be divisive. 

There are 3 free agents still available whom I would be interested in.

1. WR Jordan Matthews. He's a solid slot WR who has played well in Philadelphia. The situation in Buffalo wasn't an ideal and he struggled. As a #2 or 3, and with Luck, I think he can have a really good impact.

2. CB Bashaud Breeland. I think he's still available and I would be interested if his injury isn't a huge issue.

3. CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. He can still provide solid CB play and could possibly be had for a 1 year deal.

54 minutes ago, BOTT said:

What's the real issue?  Protesting against "social injustice" is akin to protesting against "bad things". Narrowing the focus might help.

Not here for a debate. I said my one statement about it. If you want to talk about Reid and helping the team or not, then we can debate that.

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Before this thread gets locked. 

It's not the message the players were trying to get out it's the way they acted. I agree with their stance but not the way they brought it across. I mean the the guy who started it was wearing a Fidel Castro shirt in a presser. What kinda of hypocrisy is that!?!?. And I am in that certain group that believes you should respect the flag no matter what! The flag is a symbol of freedom. Why the hell would you kneel to that. If your going to protest do it outside of the police stations and government buildings like you should. These players have the opportunity to raise awareness and try to help our community and all you can do is have a silly interview and kneel on Sundays. I mean most of them have already moved on shows you how much it really meant to them. 

That being said it would never stop me from signing a player..

2 hours ago, austriancolt said:

I don't see how kneeling during an anthem is a sign of disrespect like religion patriotism/nationalism is only a way of manipulation of the peoples mind. And it works perfectly in the States. 

they ask everyone in the stadium to please rise for the anthem.  ignoring that is disrespectful 

when the boss asks you to do something, most places are not ok with the employees just ignoring it

It's really no different then doing contract work for someone like Microsoft, publicly criticizing Bill Gates, and then when your term is over you can't find employment anywhere else in the industry. It's not rocket science. People have known to not tick off their employers forever. Employment is not a right.

1 hour ago, Aaron86 said:

Before this thread gets locked. 

It's not the message the players were trying to get out it's the way they acted. I agree with their stance but not the way they brought it across. I mean the the guy who started it was wearing a Fidel Castro shirt in a presser. What kinda of hypocrisy is that!?!?. And I am in that certain group that believes you should respect the flag no matter what! The flag is a symbol of freedom. Why the hell would you kneel to that. If your going to protest do it outside of the police stations and government buildings like you should. These players have the opportunity to raise awareness and try to help our community and all you can do is have a silly interview and kneel on Sundays. I mean most of them have already moved on shows you how much it really meant to them. 

That being said it would never stop me from signing a player..

Ok

I got no problem if we see a need. Its nonsense that he's being shunned. Me personally I wouldn't have chosen to protest during the anthem because its an easy way to get the intent of your message crossed up or ignored. People will always take that as an attack even if its not. To each his own though.

If I were protesting social issues I would have structured it in a way to where the league and all its many sponsors would have come out looking great for supporting the cause. I would gotten them to pull dollars out of their pockets and used those vast resources they have to benefit what I stood for. That wont happen if you are perceived as anti country. Even if its not your intent. And I say this as a black man.

They tried to be like Jim Brown and some of the other great civil rights spokesmen but from what I could see they never consulted with these people before they made these moves. If they did those people probably would have advised to do it another way.