Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steve Young's Comments On Luck 09/21/17

King Colt

Like all said to date this I purely speculation but Young has given his take on Luck's situation today on ESPN's PTI when asked by Tony Kornheiser. Young hinted strongly Luck may not be a Colt forever as some believe. He threw up Archie Manning's name him being a life long player on a losing team. He also said in so many terms Luck has to be looking down the road asking "is this ever going to change?"  Steve Young's tone of voice lead me to believe Luck will be stupid to consider tying his horse to the Colts wagon and I agree. If any or part of Young's comments materialize to be real who could blame Luck for getting out of Indy? Young and gifted with a great future if he heals properly only a masochist would stay if Ballard does not right their ship. To me, this season without Luck will deeply influence his decision. Keep in mind like his father Andrew Luck is a very intelligent person the same of which cannot be said of the owner and his coaching staff. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Like all said to date this I purely speculation but Young has given his take on Luck's situation today on ESPN's PTI when asked by Tony Kornheiser. Young hinted strongly Luck may not be a Colt forever as some believe. He threw up Archie Manning's name him being a life long player on a losing team. He also said in so many terms Luck has to be looking down the road asking "is this ever going to change?"  Steve Young's tone of voice lead me to believe Luck will be stupid to consider tying his horse to the Colts wagon and I agree. If any or part of Young's comments materialize to be real who could blame Luck for getting out of Indy? Young and gifted with a great future if he heals properly only a masochist would stay if Ballard does not right their ship. To me, this season without Luck will deeply influence his decision. Keep in mind like his father Andrew Luck is a very intelligent person the same of which cannot be said of the owner and his coaching staff. 

Nonsense again,   congrats.   He just signed a huge contract.   He isn't going anywhere 

I like to hear what analysts/insiders have to say more than I think most people here do, but this all out "sky is falling/Luck should want to bail" narrative being pushed by them is really annoying.

It's like they refuse to acknowledge that we've gotten rid of the same GM that they themselves put the Colts problems on. And most of these same guys probably praised the Ballard hire.

“IF” this EVER comes to be the truth, so help me GOD I take back everything I ever believed in this man.  I thought he was a warrior, A General who could lead his men to victory in any given circumstance, A Braveheart!!!  But again, I will wait til this “Story” plays out before I make such statement.  

#braveheart

4 minutes ago, NDcolt said:

“IF” this EVER comes to be the truth, so help me GOD I take back everything I ever believed in this man.  I thought he was a warrior, A General who could lead his men to victory in any given circumstance, A Braveheart!!!  But again, I will wait til this “Story” plays out before I make such statement.  

#braveheart

So he's not those things because he wants better for himself and sees that this franchise refuses to do better or learn from their mistakes?

If Andrew decides to leave this franchise if it continues how it's going, you'd be an *h*le to be mad at him

NOPE, I want a replacement who has those tangibles.  sorry we’re not the Patriots who have a line, we’re the Colts & NEED Generals!!!  Manning didn’t have the best line but he was smart & got rid of the ball B4 Mayhem.  Luck is his worst own ENEMY & I love him to DEATH, but “If” this is true, door slammed.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

If you believe what Young said, I say horse dung.

Things may not look pretty right now but Ballard is working fixing this team. End of a none story.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

who could blame Luck for getting out of Indy?

I wouldn't blame him, but I would lose some respect for him, just like I lost respect for Eli when he got drafted.

One of the things that will always put Peyton over Eli in my book is that Peyton EMBRACED the challenge of picking up a doormat and turning it into a banner.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

Ballard will turn this around just give him time. I mean the comments are going to continue to come in. Will have to as fans of the team will have to continue to hear them.The comments aren't going to be nice until we turn this around and it takes time Grigson left a mess.

Andrew Luck isn't going anywhere......

First....   his current contract runs through 2021.

Second.....   if they wanted,  the Colts could then exercise their right to slap the franchise tag on Luck up to THREE times.

Third.....      Luck likes Indy.     He really does.    He's not a guy who thinks the grass is greener elsewhere...

Look.....     whether it's Steve Young,  or Colin Cowherd,  or any other analyst....    those saying Luck might not play his entire career with the Colts could STILL be right.

What if Luck plays 15 years,  and 14 of them are with the Colts.     1 year with another team and technically,  that wold make every analyst who spouted this nonsense correct.

Andrew Luck isn't going anywhere.      You have to learn to ignore these constant speculations,  because that's all they are.     Speculations.       Until someone --- anyone --- has something more concrete,  then all this is is somebody's best guess.         In other words,   it's nothing.

56 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I wouldn't blame him, but I would lose some respect for him, just like I lost respect for Eli when he got drafted.

One of the things that will always put Peyton over Eli in my book is that Peyton EMBRACED the challenge of picking up a doormat and turning it into a banner.

I mean, Peyton was coming to a team with a HOF front office, stud left tackle, and Faulk in his prime..... vs. Eli drafted by a joke of a SD front office who is STILL a pain for players to deal with to this day.....

Why does Luck consistently get this kind of crap, but nobody ever says Drew Brees should get out of New Orleans or Phillip Rivers should get out of LA/SD or heck even Stafford should get out of Detroit? It's just hatred towards the Colts franchise and perhaps ownership and I honestly don't get it. This is the NFL, not the NBA, star players aren't coddled babies that run the asylum. Luck is a loyal dude, the Colts will right the ship and he'll be part of it the whole way.

I saw that interview.  IMO, his tone of voice was more on the jovial side as he was responding to uncle Tony's setup.  He then quickly veered into saying that he doesn't blame the Colts for not being accurate in describing Luck's time table for return because of the tricky nature of shoulder injuries and that they are doing the right thing in being cautious.  He concluded by simply saying the Colts need to continue adding pieces around him.  

Uncle Tony may have been hyperventilating about "how could the Colts get this so wrong" regarding his time table, but that was about it.

We are going to have a great defense and Luck will finally get the help he needs so he doesn't have to carry the full load.  Ballard had no choice but to gut the team.  He knows what standard it takes to win at a high level and he gets rid of players early if he doesn't think they can achieve that level.  It seems scary now, but will pay dividends later.  Eli, Big Ben and Brady won early in their career because they had phenomenal defenses to carry the heavy load.  Manning didnt and Luck didn't.  It takes longer.  Manning won when we finally got Bob Sanders who was a very high caliber defensive player and I believe Hooker is going to be on that level. Rookie,  No training camp, limited practice, finally starts and gets an interception from across the field where Quincy was all over his man.  QBs are going to fear this type of coverage going forward.

12 hours ago, King Colt said:

So many assumptions here, I don't know where to begin:

How does Steve Young know what Andrew is thinking?

There's no effort on the part of the Colts FO, Owner and/or coaching staff to improve the team around him.

There's no talent on this team besides Andrew.

Andrew can void his contract and just decide to leave.

He would be on a losing team for his career, if he stayed. 

While we can all agree that the team around him has to improve, not only for the sake of his health but for him to have a successful career, the means to that improvement can come from a new influx of players and/ or coaches or from existing players and coaches getting better each week. 

If you think about individual players and ask yourself if you are glad they are Colts, you can make the case that there is more to this team than Andrew.

As far as Ballard, I'm glad the Colts landed him. If the goal is to build a team around him, he is an important piece.

I want to see how this coaching staff does when the injured players return. 

At very least, what is happening now is good for the team as a whole. Young players are getting reps and depth is being built. The defense is playing together and as a result familiarity and communication should improve.

If this team keeps improving, the wins will come. Andrew could return to a team that may be the best he has played with so far. I know these are assumptions on my part but to assume things won't change (one way or another) is a bigger assumption IMO.

23 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I love these responses that state categorically "facts" about Luck when in truth none of the poster know anything about what will happen. Maybe you should be wealthy from all of your predictions of game scores since you appear to be able to see the future.

Its a bit ironic that you lambast your fellow posters for posting opinion/speculation when the OP is exactly that.

Besides some of the responses are entirely factual (his contract, the tagging rules etc.) 

Maybe you could try being slightly less rude in your interactions with others and you might get a more engaged debate?

5 hours ago, LockeDown said:

We are going to have a great defense and Luck will finally get the help he needs so he doesn't have to carry the full load.  Ballard had no choice but to gut the team.  He knows what standard it takes to win at a high level and he gets rid of players early if he doesn't think they can achieve that level.  It seems scary now, but will pay dividends later.  Eli, Big Ben and Brady won early in their career because they had phenomenal defenses to carry the heavy load.  Manning didnt and Luck didn't.  It takes longer.  Manning won when we finally got Bob Sanders who was a very high caliber defensive player and I believe Hooker is going to be on that level. Rookie,  No training camp, limited practice, finally starts and gets an interception from across the field where Quincy was all over his man.  QBs are going to fear this type of coverage going forward.

:applause: post of the day and I couldn't agree more. This defense has the beginning of being dominant in a couple years. Something Manning never had.

Sigh...

How is it that Kornhiser think's athletes get what they want by simply by whining?  Like a contract is only valid if the player remains happy during the life of the contract.  That the contract should  be undone if the player has buyer's remorse at some point. 

Just trying to understand the mentality that keeps pushing this story like it has some sort of merit.  

Remember Steve Young forced his way out of Tampa so he could go to SF. He is an entitled jerk, and believes everyone is just like him. Of course he would say that-- because that is what his whiny self would do. I won't listen to or believe any of this nonsense speculation until Luck steps up to the mic and says, "I'm outta here".

19 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

Remember Steve Young forced his way out of Tampa so he could go to SF. He is an entitled jerk, and believes everyone is just like him. Of course he would say that-- because that is what his whiny self would do. I won't listen to or believe any of this nonsense speculation until Luck steps up to the mic and says, "I'm outta here".

Wasn't that before the modern free agency era?  I don't remember how a player ever left a team unless the team itself no longer wanted him, and traded him.  In that circumstance I could see a player trying to force a trade because there is no other option.  I still don't agree, but the player had few options back then...IIRC.

Luck signed his contract after having the chance to go to another team.  He could have ridden out the franchise tag designation if he really wanted to go elsewhere.

15 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I wouldn't rule out him leaving at some point probably closer to the end of this contract if this team doesn't change.

contract has to be over for him to leave, and they can still tag him

demanding trades doesnt work as well in the nfl as it does in the nba