Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Mike Chappell, Hasselbeck strongly considering returning

RockThatBlue

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm for it.  As long as he doesn't have to play 8 straight games.  He's fine in relief or for a game or two.  In that capacity, he's probably still one of the better backup options in the NFL.

I agree, he has proven he can pull a W out against division foes, & if #12 misses substantial time again next season, it'll be a wash anyways, so why not...

But I'm biased, I've always respected the heck outta Hasselbeck & would love for him to get a ring with Indy!!!

57 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

I agree, he has proven he can pull a W out against division foes, & if #12 misses substantial time again next season, it'll be a wash anyways, so why not...

But I'm biased, I've always respected the heck outta Hasselbeck & would love for him to get a ring with Indy!!!

Best backup in the NFL....

....he can go in and win a couple of games.....and keep us in the playoff race....as he did this year

and that's another truth..If Luck misses 8 games again...it wont matter who the backup is

If Hasselbeck wants to continue,  then I think he should....

BUT....

I think the Colts need to move on.    I don't want to lose Freeman for Hasselbeck.     And I love Matt.    I beat the drum longest and loudest here hoping we'd sign him.     But by the end of the season,  he was a shadow of himself.   And it was painful to watch.  

I know what he brings to the Colts and I love that.     I just don't know how many weeks he can bring it if we need it again?

So for those reasons,   I'm ready to move on from Matt.     I wish him the best,  but for someone else....

I've voiced my view that Freeman shouldn't be anything more then a 1 game fill in.  There is a reason that guy was out of the NFL.  

I'm torn with Hasselbeck.  If we're looking at a backup QB to play in a couple games and fill in for a minor injury then I like Hasselbeck and think he's probably one of the best options out there.

If we're looking at a guy to play half the season or more.  He's just not that guy.  

But I would note that I think if we're having to play a backup QB for half the season or more then our season's probably pretty done anyways.  

19 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Saw that.  I hope it's as a coach because he didn't have an arm by the end of last year.

I think all the injuries took a toll on his arm strength. No reason to think he can't heal up and play as well as he did before he became a human pinata. He performed very well for a few games which is all and more than you want your #2 to do.

3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I respect the hell out of Hasselbeck, but I'd rather see him hang them up. I'm really intrigued by Freeman, and would like to see what he does with an offseason/preseason to prepare.

I agree about giving Freeman another chance.  People saying he was a one game QB, Freeman had a huge ego with Tampa Bay and Minnesota, I think he has been humbled by recent experiences.  I thought Hasselbeck got the job done last year, but his age seems to be catching up to him.  

15 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I think its time for him to hang it up. We can keep Josh Freeman as the backup for a fraction of the cost it would take to bring a broken down Hasselbeck back. Josh Freeman impressed me this year. Enough so that I'm perfectly fine with him being our backup.

Never been a Freeman fan, but as a cheaper and much younger option  he is a much better choice than Hasslebeck as long as he is satisfied carrying a clipboard. 

10 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I think all the injuries took a toll on his arm strength. No reason to think he can't heal up and play as well as he did before he became a human pinata. He performed very well for a few games which is all and more than you want your #2 to do.

His arm wasn't very good when he was healthy, but he was playing smart sort of like Peyton.  Usually you don't get stronger as you get older.

On 2/11/2016 at 3:10 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I am not a fan of MH returning.

I appreciate his effort and will remember his commitment, but he is no longer the answer. He had a very hard time staying healthy, which led to us playing 5 different quarterbacks last season. 

Thanks Matt. I hope you hang it up and call it a career. It was a great one. 

On 2/12/2016 at 9:22 PM, COLTS449 said:

I think its time for him to hang it up. We can keep Josh Freeman as the backup for a fraction of the cost it would take to bring a broken down Hasselbeck back. Josh Freeman impressed me this year. Enough so that I'm perfectly fine with him being our backup.

There is no doubt Freeman should be our number 2 going into the 2016 season. 

But that is too obvious, right? ;)