Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Marshawn Lynch annoy anybody else?

RockThatBlue

As long as it's not a QB doing it, I'm fine with it. QB's need to be good role models both on and off the field. HB's, however, are paid to fire up the offense and settle down crowds. They impose their will on defenses. Marshawn lets his actions speak for himself. He's like a quiet bulldozer, and that strikes fear into defenses.

I also think the NFL does need to change the player policy on being forced into interviews. Maybe put a limit on it, at least. Let the QB's speak on behalf of the offense. Don't force a HB into it if he's clearly uncomfortable with speaking.

I don't like it.  Show some respect to the media.  They have jobs to do and they're trying to support their families, just like you are.  The fans want to know more about you and your thoughts, so they use the media as a way to get there.  He claims he's anxious in front of media, but I can find several videos on YouTube where he is goofing off and laughing and looks very comfortable.  He's also been in the spotlight from his times at Cal, so it's not like this is anything new.

With that said, mental health is a very tricky thing.  It could be that he has genuinely developed anxiety.  I would guess it would go the other way (ie. more time in front of cameras = more comfortable = not anxious), but every situation is different.

He did the same schtick today to the media by giving the same answer over and over.

"I'm just here so the NFL won't fine me"

Yawn. He's a great football player and I'd love him on the colts but he annoys me more every time he speaks. No to mention the crotch grabbing nonsense.

Not a fan of crotch grabbing, but I don't mind what he's doing.

Here is the thing. . . he annoys you when he speaks, but the reality is . . . HE DOESN'T WANT TO SPEAK.  

It's quite frankly stupid that the NFL writes into it's contracts that he has to talk to the media.  Most guys would talk to the media regardless. . . he's one of the few that doesn't want to, just wants to play ball.  

I respect that.  

I don't like it.  Show some respect to the media.  They have jobs to do and they're trying to support their families, just like you are.  The fans want to know more about you and your thoughts, so they use the media as a way to get there.  He claims he's anxious in front of media, but I can find several videos on YouTube where he is goofing off and laughing and looks very comfortable.  He's also been in the spotlight from his times at Cal, so it's not like this is anything new.

With that said, mental health is a very tricky thing.  It could be that he has genuinely developed anxiety.  I would guess it would go the other way (ie. more time in front of cameras = more comfortable = not anxious), but every situation is different.

Here is the thing though.  In order for the money to come to him, he just needs to play and it just needs to be on TV.  The NFL would still be a multi-billion dollar industry even if the media never talked to the players.

I feel sorry for him, he shouldn't be forced to speak if he doesn't want to speak.  

Better than listening to the same ole clichés players and coaches give after a win or loss.

"We have to play better"

"Buck stops with me"

"Stick to the process"

"Don't get too high, don't get too low"

"Enjoy this win for 24hrs then on to blah blah blah"

Etc.

Here is the thing though.  In order for the money to come to him, he just needs to play and it just needs to be on TV.  The NFL would still be a multi-billion dollar industry even if the media never talked to the players.

I feel sorry for him, he shouldn't be forced to speak if he doesn't want to speak.  

The NFL tells him that being in front of the media is part of the job.  I'm sure people like Brady and Belichick would much rather be watching film and finding ways to improve instead of talking to the media.  But it's part of the job.  Even if you don't like it, you should do it well.  You want to play a sport for a living and make well over 6 figures a year, then you're going to have to deal with some things you don't like.

If Lynch really wanted to avoid the media at all costs, do you think he would go out of his way to park his Lambo and put velvet rope around it?  That doesn't scream for attention?

I don't blame guys not wanting to talk to the media. Heck, Marvin never did it for years. Even so, these guys are paid MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to do so. If it's part of their contract, they should do it without complaining and moaning.  If it's not part of their contractual obligation, they should have every right to opt out without being pressured in to doing so.

Media mumbo jumbo aside, I don't like the crotch grabbing/gold cleat nonsense and otherwise acting like a manchild. That applies to all players who do that stuff, not just Lynch. Do your job as it's laid out for you and that's it without all the showboating.

Respect the media?

now you've got me LOL.

I chose my job just like they did theirs, if they don't like it, then too bad.

Better than listening to the same ole clichés players and coaches give after a win or loss.

"We have to play better"

"Buck stops with me"

"Stick to the process"

Etc.

I think Eisen addressed Lynch's "I'm just here so I don't get fined" comment's & his overall disregard for the media today by saying that if Lynch REALLY wanted the media to leave him alone he should just give really vanilla boring answers...

Made since, the no attention, is attention, for Lynch now & even more so with a repeated "I'm here so I don't get a fine" response... Either way it doesn't bother me too much. Media day/week is a bit over the top anyways... 

Doesn't bother me, I like the way he basically tells the media to F-Off,  they already know he doesn't want to be there so leave the man alone!!!

in a way though Lynch is giving the media a bigger story by 'refusing' to answer questions, or by this years, "I'm here so I don't get fined" retort... 

I think it's super funny, more power to him, but not much of his media 'game' makes me think he really wants left alone...

I agree with Rich Eisen's statement today that if Lynch truly wanted to dodge the media, he'd just give them a non-story with cliché, boring answers, but too late for that now...

I'm not sure it "bothers" anybody not involved, but I think it is super childish. I don't understand why people can't at least pretend to be polite to each other. Lynch gets paid MILLIONS and part of his contract is to talk to the media. So, stop acting like a three year old and do what you are paid to do.

It doesn't bother me at all. At least he doesn't try to be politically correct with every answer like 99% of players. I love his attitude on the field too. He's got that hard nose, hardcore, in your face style. BTW though if anyone notices he does talk a lot on the field to opponents. I mean literally too, he talks trash.

I don't like it. Show some respect to the media. They have jobs to do and they're trying to support their families, just like you are. The fans want to know more about you and your thoughts, so they use the media as a way to get there. He claims he's anxious in front of media, but I can find several videos on YouTube where he is goofing off and laughing and looks very comfortable. He's also been in the spotlight from his times at Cal, so it's not like this is anything new.

With that said, mental health is a very tricky thing. It could be that he has genuinely developed anxiety. I would guess it would go the other way (ie. more time in front of cameras = more comfortable = not anxious), but every situation is different.

"Show some respect to the media"

Why? Media are dogs, they'll slander your name the moment you do something. They get no respect. Well, not the mass media anyway like ESPN and them

Guys like

Stephen Holder

Kevin Bowen

Mike Chappell

George Bremer

Etc Etc

I like them, but the mass media will turn on you faster than MC Hammers career went bad

He did the same schtick today to the media by giving the same answer over and over.

"I'm just here so the NFL won't fine me"

Yawn. He's a great football player and I'd love him on the colts but he annoys me more every time he speaks. No to mention the crotch grabbing nonsense.

1. Don't see how it annoyed you

2. If he doesn't like talking to the media, that's not a problem. But the NFL forces him to, so he's basically slapping them in the face by pulling these antics

3. If it really annoys you that much, just turn the TV when he's talking

Respect the media?

now you've got me LOL.

I chose my job just like they did theirs, if they don't like it, then too bad.

What?

"Show some respect to the media"

Why? Media are dogs, they'll slander your name the moment you do something. They get no respect. Well, not the mass media anyway like ESPN and them

Guys like

Stephen Holder

Kevin Bowen

Mike Chappell

George Bremer

Etc Etc

I like them, but the mass media will turn on you faster than MC Hammers career went bad

You should respect those who deserve it.  In his end of the year presser, Pagano thanked all the media members for respecting the guys during the season.  When Peyton left Indy, he thanked all of the Indy media.  If someone deserves respect, show it to them.  If a certain member of the media says something, then not saying anything to them may be justified.  But to say "some in the media are rude or disrespectful, therefore he's justified in not respecting them all" isn't right.  If someone is working hard and trying to do their job and they haven't done anything against you, then why are you stopping them from doing their job?  It's very childish on his part, in my opinion. 

Again, if there's a genuine mental health problem there, then I can kind of understand (though still not completely understand).  But I'm going under the assumption that there isn't because I haven't seen or read anything to suggest there is.

"We have to play better"

"Buck stops with me"

"Stick to the process"

Etc.

Iron sharpens axes which helps us keep chopping that wood so we can stick to the process. 

What?

You should respect those who deserve it.  In his end of the year presser, Pagano thanked all the media members for respecting the guys during the season.  When Peyton left Indy, he thanked all of the Indy media.  If someone deserves respect, show it to them.  If a certain member of the media says something, then not saying anything to them may be justified.  But to say "some in the media are rude or disrespectful, therefore he's justified in not respecting them all" isn't right.  If someone is working hard and trying to do their job and they haven't done anything against you, then why are you stopping them from doing their job?  It's very childish on his part, in my opinion. 

Again, if there's a genuine mental health problem there, then I can kind of understand (though still not completely understand).  But I'm going under the assumption that there isn't because I haven't seen or read anything to suggest there is.

He's not stopping them from doing their jobs.  Their job is to ask him questions and report what he says.  The answer to all of their questions was "I'm just here so I don't get fined" . . . that's making their job easy.  Only one phrase to remember and report.   :)

For all those bemoaning the cruelty of making him speak to the media, it's part of his job, simple as. Professional athletes these days have responsibilities that stretch far past the field of play. Another poster made the point about the media not deserving respect as they chose to their jobs, well Lynch chose to be a NFL player so he should respect the terms of his employment. 

I'm sure we all have parts of our job we don't like doing but do you go ahead and act in such a petulant manner while doing them? To be honest with this and his uniform stunts he's coming over more and more as an attention seeker. 

I get the impression that he is very anxious when having to speak in front of cameras, put on the spot, etc. With some people this is a real phobia, to the point of being an illness. Is he one of these? I don't know, but think it is a possibility.

He seemed more relaxed yesterday with his scripted answer of "I am just here so I don't get fined". I am guessing someone advised him to use that answer, and once he knew that was all he'd have to say, he was okay answering and smiling.

The NFL can force him to speak, but they can't force his script. He answered, and there's nothing anyone can do about his answer.

No, it didn't bother me.

Being forced to talk to the media or face a fine.... This is America, when did it become ok to force people to do something? I can't stand this crap at all.

It's not a legal question, it's written into his contract.  I just think it's a dumb thing to include in his contract.