Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts apply low tender to George Odum (MERGE)

BlueShoe

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I’m just trying to picture what 2.113 million dollars looks like! 
  I like Odum. Great special teams player. Faster than I thought (4.45 at combine). It kind of disappoints me that he tweeted what he did. 

Yeah. I mean he made All Pro... And can build on that in 2021. He has found a niche, and can also serve as a backup safety. That could be enticing for him in 2022. However, sticking his nose up at deal worth more than 2 million for 1 year... Seems a bit much to me. Plus, if another team thinks he is worth more then they have the opportunity to sign him without giving any compensation to the Colts. 

I find it very odd that he tweeted that. 

I don't think those words are directed at the colts.... He can still pursue other teams and negotiate we just get a chance to match another team. Does not prevent other teams from still pursuing him. He's likely more disgusted in the low ball offers hes getting, this is honestly the worst free agency to be in for mid to lower guys. Teams are already strapped for cash, hes a special teams ace, I'm not sure what he expected... 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Yeah. I mean he made All Pro... And can build on that in 2021. He has found a niche, and can also serve as a backup safety. That could be enticing for him in 2022. However, sticking his nose up at deal worth more than 2 million for 1 year... Seems a bit much to me. Plus, if another team thinks he is worth more then they have the opportunity to sign him without giving any compensation to the Colts. 

Not odd at all.  In fact, it’s what we’ve come expect in today’s “hyper-all about me” NFL.

17 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

All pro at special teams is not super valuable in  the nfl unless he is a returner who scores touchdowns .  Being great at tackling and blocking for special teams is good but many guys who are career back ups do well at special teams .  there is barley any kick returns any more any way .  the nfl seems like they are trying to get rid of special teams anyway to make teams smaller less money the owners have to pay for salaries .  We might see they day were kick offs are done and punts are done , just start at the 20 after a offense stalls .

Disappointed in his tweet. 1st and 2nd round tenders are for starters and key rotational players. Odum is STs ace, but he's not worth 3M IMO. Heck, we could likely bring back Hooker for a million or two. We'd lose out on the STs aspect, but it would be an upgrade at S depth.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I like Odum. Great special teams player. Faster than I thought (4.45 at combine). It kind of disappoints me that he tweeted what he did. 

Well....   to be fair, none of us knows what Odom truly means by this.    It may not be entirely directed at the Colts.

It may be directed as much to the rest of the NFL.    It's possible his agent just isn't fielding very good offers from the rest of the league.    Few teams value ST as much as the Colts.    So, he may be frustrated with the rest of the league as well as the Colts.

It may just mean he plays this year with a bigger chip on his shoulder.   Good for him.    Good for us.

PS -- as to your comment about the money,  yeah....   I'd be fine with just the $113,000 dollars!   The two mill is a lottery win!

3 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I agree with him that he is worth more. He is certainly worth that and maybe some to this Colts team. Field position is huge. 

I don't however, see the social media path as the one that will change his fortunes. 

If he's worth more, he'll get offers from other teams and the Colts can match or not. 2M is very good money for a guy who is primarily a STs stud.

I'd be a bit surprised if he gets a bigger offer.

Stare Staring GIF

How many primarily ST players in the league actually make more than that? If that’s his beef I do take a bit of an exception to that. 

We’re gonna be splitting almost 40 million between Nelson and Leonard soon enough. Upwards of 5 million for a ST guy just doesn’t fit in with that. And if that pisses him off, well then sorry about his damn luck I guess. :dunno:

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

keep reading down on his tweet thread some one said they thought 5 million a year was good for him and he laughed at it . he wants over ten million a year to play special teams and be a backup who almost never sees the field as a safety

7 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

keep reading down on his tweet thread some one said they thought 5 million a year was good for him and he laughed at it . he wants over ten million a year to play special teams and be a backup who almost never sees the field as a safety

We don’t need that type of player/attitude  here.  Ballard is going to pay him what the market says, nothing more.  If he thinks that much of himself, let him see for himself what the outside market says and when it’s nothing more than what we’ve offered, he can sign and play here or sit.  

I wish I lived a life where:  getting paid 2 million dollars to work out in a premium facility, eat right, have access to the best trainers, the best coaches who were specifically assigned to help me hone my craft.

Not to mention the best medical staff and referrals that other peoples money could buy.  All designed to allow me to achieve fame playing a kid's game at reasonable level in a limited role.  I wish I lived a life in which that was considered disrespectful........

4 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I wish I lived a life where:  getting paid 2 million dollars to work out in a premium facility, eat right, have access to the best trainers, the best coaches who were specifically assigned to help me hone my craft.

Not to mention the best medical staff and referrals that other peoples money could buy.  All designed to allow me to achieve fame playing a kid's game at reasonable level in a limited role.  I wish I lived a life in which that was considered disrespectful........

One thing you are failing to mention.

These players have worked harder than most to be able to be in the position you are speaking of. 

They just didn't wake up in that life style. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

These players have worked harder than most to be able to be in the position you are speaking of. 

Agreed he has the right to be mad

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I thought that went without saying.  Alot of people work hard, alot of people work VERY.  My whole life I've worked hard at everything i've done and I've done well for myself in my chosen fiield. That being said, I know that I'm only worth what the market will bear.

I've never publicly denounced an offer as disrespectful especially since I'm always free to seek another employer (none of which has ever granted me the safety blanket of right of first refusal).  And I've never had the perks and resources afforded to those in professional athletics.

Tone deaf and entitled will always be tone deaf and entitled......I'd feel blessed to be given the physical gifts and opportunity hes been granted (through hard work since it apparrently has to be stated outright) not disrespected.

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Agreed he has the right to be mad

He has the right to feel however he wants and hes welcome to test the market.  None of that amounts to being disrespected though.  If someone offered you a healthy salary, told you to go ahead and look for a better offer in the same field, and told you there was a chance theyd match that offer, would you be upset?  I'd be like "thanks bro, talk to you next month and we'll get it sorted".

George Odum is definitely mad about the Colts offer, and not the offers he is getting around the league. He literally tweeted what he did right after the Colts applied the tender.

He is also liking tweets that bash the Colts for giving him the lowest offer, or from fans of other teams wanting him to play for their favorite team.

As far as what he's worth, Matthew Slater of the Patriots has been a multiple time all-pro special teamer and he's never made more than 3 million per year. Odum needs to prove he's more than just a special teamer if he wants more money. Tavon Wilson played much more than him on defense last year.

26 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

He has the right to feel however he wants and hes welcome to test the market.  None of that amounts to being disrespected though.  If someone offered you a healthy salary, told you to go ahead and look for a better offer in the same field, and told you there was a chance theyd match that offer, would you be upset?  I'd be like "thanks bro, talk to you next month and we'll get it sorted".

Sounds whiny and diva to me. The more I think about it, the less I like the guy. If he's worth more, he has the opportunity to get better offers. 

24 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

George Odum is definitely mad about the Colts offer, and not the offers he is getting around the league. He literally tweeted what he did right after the Colts applied the tender.

He is also liking tweets that bash the Colts for giving him the lowest offer, or from fans of other teams wanting him to play for their favorite team.

As far as what he's worth, Matthew Slater of the Patriots has been a multiple time all-pro special teamer and he's never made more than 3 million per year. Odum needs to prove he's more than just a special teamer if he wants more money. Tavon Wilson played much more than him on defense last year.

I'd keep Wilson over Odum. Wilson played high level several games when called upon. While I do appreciate STs players, special teams tacklers rank below ST's returners, and key depth players like Wilson.

I'd offer Hooker 2M over offering Odum 3M. Hooker might even be cheaper than that coming off injury. And Hooker on a one year deal would be busted his * so that he can earn a bigger contract next year. Odum sounds like he'll be a disgruntled guy in the locker room. 

And I'm not happy to hear TY is liking his whiny tweets. 

16 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

This is basically what I was going to say. What does he do other than ST again?

He's getting taken care of for what he does. After thinking about this, I'm in the "don't complain" camp on this one.

12 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Turns out, the opposite is true on Matthew Slater.   This year is his FIRST year making over $3 mill.   All his other years are LESS than 3 mill per.   And some of his years are LESS than $2mill per.   

Im on my cell phone, otherwise I’d show you Slater's career earnings page from Spotrac.  That’s where I got the info.

Odom’s deal, which will pay him a minimum of $2.1m per, is competitive.   The market will set the price. 

12 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

The Colts have always done this.

They will peg a player with a value, whether it is Pierre Desir, or Xavier Rhodes or George Odum. They will let them feel out the waters of free agency. If they come back with a better offer, they will match it. That is clearly the intention here.

It is not Ballard's fault the cap is reduced, it is not Ballard's fault he chose to be consistent with his approach, Odum should bolt the first chance he gets, and I hope he does if he is that unhappy, might be best for both parties. Ballard should not match any offer, even if it is $2.5 million after this attitude of taking things outside the locker room before the process is finished, IMO. Odum better get used to the business side of the NFL, otherwise he will be one unhappy man for a while. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They will peg a player with a value, whether it is Pierre Desir, or Xavier Rhodes or George Odum. They will let them feel out the waters of free agency. If they come back with a better offer, they will match it. That is clearly the intention here.

It is not Ballard's fault the cap is reduced, it is not Ballard's fault he chose to be consistent with his approach, Odum should bolt the first chance he gets, and I hope he does if he is that unhappy, might be best for both parties. Ballard should not match any offer, even if it is $2.5 million after this attitude of taking things outside the locker room before the process is finished, IMO. Odum better get used to the business side of the NFL, otherwise he will be one unhappy man for a while. 

I’m in total agreement with you. 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

doesnt the tender though mean that he has to match it in order to get compensation?

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

doesnt the tender though mean that he has to match it in order to get compensation?

Colts do not get compensation if some other team matches it, that is what this low level tender means, and Odum is free to walk at that point to the team that matches it. I think it is the right-of-first-refusal tender that the Colts pegged on Odum. This article is a year old but the amounts should be close enough.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know-0ap3000001106817

First-round tender: One-year contract worth the greater of (a) $4.641 million or (b) 110 percent of the player's prior-year base salary. If the player's original team decides not to match an offer sheet signed with another team, it is entitled to a first-round draft pick from the player's new team. Unless received two days or later prior to the NFL draft, draft compensation for each tender is due in the same league year as the offer sheet is signed.

A signed offer sheet with a new team includes Principal Terms that must be matched by the prior club. However, if the new team includes terms that waive or limit its ability to designate the RFA a franchise player, the old team will not have to match this term if it has tendered the player with an offer worth $500,000 more than the first-round tender ($5.141 million in 2020).

Second-round tender: One-year contract worth the greater of (a) $3.259 million or (b) 110 percent of the player's prior-year base salary. Draft-choice compensation: second-round pick.

Original-round tender: One-year contract worth the greater of (a) $2.133 million or (b) 110 percent of the player's prior-year base salary. Draft-choice compensation: a pick in the round the player was originally drafted in.

Right-of-first-refusal tender: One-year contract worth $2.133 million. Team has the right to match any offer sheet signed with another team, but there is no draft compensation tied to this tender.

Just now, csmopar said:

With a low tender, the Colts only have the option to match another teams offer and the Colts would not receive any compensation if they don’t match. And that’s what makes this bizarre. He is effectively a free agent, and the worst case for him is that he makes 2.1 million for 2021. 

8 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

With a low tender, the Colts only have the option to match another teams offer and the Colts would not receive any compensation if they don’t match. And that’s what makes this bizarre. He is effectively a free agent, and the worst case for him is that he makes 2.1 million for 2021. 

There was no original round tender to be placed on him. He was UDFA, just like Mo Allie Cox. It was either 2nd round tender or right-of-first-refusal tender without draft compensation. They went with 2nd round tender for MAC, and the other way with Odum.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

There was no original round tender to be placed on him. He was UDFA, just like Mo Allie Cox. It was either 2nd round tender or right-of-first-refusal tender without draft compensation. They went with 2nd round tender for MAC, and the other way with Odum.

Correct. 

7 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I don't see him getting a higher offer.  If so, oh well.  

I feel the same.  He doesn't return kicks so I'm not sure many teams, trying to stay under the cap, will want to add a $2 million + special teams player to the roster.

maybe the Texans, Titans or Jags will take a shot because it would negatively affect the Colts.  

Archived