Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts apply low tender to George Odum (MERGE)

BlueShoe

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Turns out, the opposite is true on Matthew Slater.   This year is his FIRST year making over $3 mill.   All his other years are LESS than 3 mill per.   And some of his years are LESS than $2mill per.   

Im on my cell phone, otherwise I’d show you Slater's career earnings page from Spotrac.  That’s where I got the info.

Odom’s deal, which will pay him a minimum of $2.1m per, is competitive.   The market will set the price. 

I think we're on the same page. I said in my post that Matthew Slater has consistently made less than 3 million his entire career.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

The Colts have always done this.

They will peg a player with a value, whether it is Pierre Desir, or Xavier Rhodes or George Odum. They will let them feel out the waters of free agency. If they come back with a better offer, they will match it. That is clearly the intention here.

It is not Ballard's fault the cap is reduced, it is not Ballard's fault he chose to be consistent with his approach, Odum should bolt the first chance he gets, and I hope he does if he is that unhappy, might be best for both parties. Ballard should not match any offer, even if it is $2.5 million after this attitude of taking things outside the locker room before the process is finished, IMO. Odum better get used to the business side of the NFL, otherwise he will be one unhappy man for a while. 

I completely agree. Even if the salary cap went up like it was expected to before the pandemic, we know how Chris Ballard operates. Nothing has changed.

I think Odum is likely referring to low offers he’s getting from other teams. If I’m not mistaken, other teams could offer Odum a lot more money than we did, but our tender gets us the chance to match that offer, so he’s likely just not getting any good offers. It would be quite stupid of Odum to tweet that regarding the Colts knowing the quality of our locker room and seeing as he’ll likely be back next year

27 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I think Odum is likely referring to low offers he’s getting from other teams. If I’m not mistaken, other teams could offer Odum a lot more money than we did, but our tender gets us the chance to match that offer, so he’s likely just not getting any good offers. It would be quite stupid of Odum to tweet that regarding the Colts knowing the quality of our locker room and seeing as he’ll likely be back next year

I believe 100% that Odum is referring to the contract the Colts offered him. 

That dude is making more than Mack this year. Not being rude, but let that sync in for a little bit. 

George odum was on Twitter writing “disappointed and disrespected” after being a “low” tender that will have him making 2.13 million next year. Note, he will now be the highest paid special team player in the league that does not kick the football in any way. I find his statement to be a little puzzling. Only a certain amount of money can be spent for ST’s, offense, and defense. Spending 4-5 million one special team player who doesn’t kick the ball is a good way to insure you won’t be able to sing big time players in the future. Kind of perplexes me marlon Mack is willing to come back on a 2 million dollar contract for one year to prove himself and is obviously, a team friendly contract. I’m sure Mack could’ve gotten 4-5 million for one year even with his injury history. You got players like Mack and then you got players like odum. Don’t get me wrong. I like odum. I just don’t think his statement on Twitter was warranted. Any thoughts on this issue?

• Shive changed the title to Colts apply low tender to George Odum (MERGE)
22 hours ago, chickenMan said:

If you’re going to defend him then I’m going to reply saying he should’ve been more clear about his tweet. If that’s how he truly felt, he shouldn’t have just wrote “disappointed and disrespected”. He’s the highest paid special teams player that doesn’t kick the football. I don’t see what he has to be so upset about 

On 3/18/2021 at 4:41 PM, Kdeming1230 said:

If you’re going to defend him then I’m going to reply saying he should’ve been more clear about his tweet. If that’s how he truly felt, he shouldn’t have just wrote “disappointed and disrespected”. He’s the highest paid special teams player that doesn’t kick the football. I don’t see what he has to be so upset about 

Not defending him, just saying what I think he meant. Big difference, as I think either way it was stupid of Odum to tweet that.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:59 AM, chickenMan said:

Not defending him, just saying what I think he meant. Big difference, as I think either way it was stupid of Odum to tweet that.

Yes, we can definitely agree on that part. His agent should’ve called him up and had him delete it that tweet 10 seconds after he saw it. Just dumb. 

Archived