Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)

EastStreet

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Those receivers catch those 7 drops and I think we are talking about a win

I'm not defending those drops at all. How many of those drops were in the end zone? (and no, the 4th down pittman play is not a drop). My point is, he calls great plays up until the redzone, as soon as we get there, he gets gun shy, like he's terrified of turning the ball over. First drive was a perfect example, inside the 20, run 1st down in a stacked box for a gain of 2. 2nd and 8, run again into a stacked box or 0. Then a little dump off screen behind the LOS for a gain of 2. Not one shot to the end zone.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I'm not defending those drops at all. How many of those drops were in the end zone? (and no, the 4th down pittman play is not a drop). My point is, he calls great plays up until the redzone, as soon as we get there, he gets gun shy, like he's terrified of turning the ball over. First drive was a perfect example, inside the 20, run 1st down in a stacked box for a gain of 2. 2nd and 8, run again into a stacked box or 0. Then a little dump off screen behind the LOS for a gain of 2. Not one shot to the end zone.

We don’t have great red zone receiving talent.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Those receivers catch those 7 drops and I think we are talking about a win

Don’t disagree. But reality is, we are not playing with top talent receivers and Mahomes at QB. You aren’t going 30/30 on catch/pass attempts. You call plays that work for your offense and the personnel executing them. 

Too many times in the RZ and at the GL we try to force a strength in a predictable scenario; I.e. running the ball at the 2yd line. That works against the Jags. Not against a good defense. Those scenarios you have to break tendencies and be creative.

That’s where I think the scrutiny of Reich comes into play. The mismanagement of timeouts, obvious errant challenge, game clock, and play calling when behind in the 4th. Having a chance to win the game but not having the timeouts or play calls to move the ball down field (screen pass?). 

5 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I agree with you on not throwing enough in the red zone.  We didn’t use our big guys enough. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

We don’t have great red zone receiving talent.

We don't have a QB who can move either.  People forget how many times Luck scored in the red zone with his legs, running or throwing on the run.  

18 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

A missed FG cost us the game. We put up 24 on a damn good defense and kept the most explosive offense to below 30. 

Hindsight is 20/20. If we had made both 2pt Convs and conveyed the 4th downs then Reich is amazing. If we don’t then he’s stupid

We lost a heartbreaker to the better team on the day.

we loss yes. Not sure it was to a better team. to the luckier team perhaps. 

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

We don't have a QB who can move either.  People forget how many times Luck scored in the red zone with his legs, running or throwing on the run.  

As much as I'm not really a Rivers hater I have to say this is one thing that is definitely an issue with him as QB. Teams know he offers no threat in that regard and it makes our red zone offence that much more predictable. 

3 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yes. Being able to run the boot leg with the option of running stresses the defense at the goal line. Luck was one of the best at this. Rivers couldn’t run to the bathroom let alone a bootleg 

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

There are at least 5 glaringly bad Frank things this week. 

I count 3.

1. Running toss play instead of running right up the guy on 3rd and goal from the 1, resulting in losing 3 yards. Which led to #2

2. Going for it on 4th and goal from 4, where of which a run up the gut in 3rd down would of made the decision better to go for it on 4th. If we get stopped on 4th and goal from 1, I think the decision is less scrutinized and chances of Bills doing anything decreases. Would of been trying to just get out if endzone.

3. Beyond horrible decision to challenge a play that was clear and obvious.

So 2 of his 3 bad decisions resulted from 1 bad play call, trying to outsmart opponent(which he tries to do all to often). Which he admitted after the game he should if ran up the gut. The other,  well as stated was/should've been completely avoided. Which he also admitted after game. Not that admitting after the game helps anything, but at least he acknowledged his mistakes.

Outside of that the decision to go for 2 doesn't matter because we got the next one. The 1st one was a horrible decision at the time but after getting 2nd one it is irrelevant. Equaled themselves out.

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yup. Mobility is key in the RZ, especially once you’re in an & goal situation. 

How many times have we all seen Mahomes, Rodgers, Luck, or any good mobile QB rolling to his left or right on a bootleg or extending a broken play. Rivers can’t do that. Defenses don’t have to worry about him working outside of the pocket at all.

34 minutes ago, w87r said:

I count 3.

1. Running toss play instead of running right up the guy on 3rd and goal from the 1, resulting in losing 3 yards. Which led to #2

2. Going for it on 4th and goal from 4, where of which a run up the gut in 3rd down would of made the decision better to go for it on 4th. If we get stopped on 4th and goal from 1, I think the decision is less scrutinized and chances of Bills doing anything decreases. Would of been trying to just get out if endzone.

So 2 of his 3 bad decisions resulted from 1 bad play call, trying to outsmart opponent(which he tries to do all to often). Which he admitted after the game he should if ran up the gut. The other,  well as stated was/should've been completely avoided. Which he also admitted after game. Not that admitting after the game helps anything, but at least he acknowledged his mistakes.

Outside of that the decision to go for 2 doesn't matter because we got the next one. The 1st one was a horrible decision at the time but after getting 2nd one it is irrelevant. Equaled themselves out.

You summarize it well. And with #1, he said they'd studied those tendencies extensively and thought they had the counter to them. Buffalo switched things up. It didn't work. It happens.

Now #2, here's where I diverge. Going for it meant that even if we missed the attempt, we still had them pinned down and they'd have to drive the length of the field which they did (no thanks to Stefon Diggs and our defense getting beat there). In a game where we clearly prized clock and field position, it didnt really seem that egregious a decision. And then, after seeing Rod miss a kick later that seemed like a GIMME, all i see is further support for going for it.

I dunno. We can second guess these things all day. The one decision we all agree on was the challenge. That one was indefensible. Reich didnt wait to hear from his coaches, he went with his gut and looked mighty foolish. He isnt the first coach to do that, won't be the last. Every coach has those.

All in all, it was a good season. Wish it ended better. We were in every single game except for the Titans blowout. Chris Ballard needs to have his best offseason yet. He needs to crush free agency and the draft. He's done very well so far but lets face the fact, the Colts are not KC or Buffalo. Remember the Manning years? Our goal then used to be securing the #1 seed so we'd get home field thru the playoffs. Now, our goal is just to make the playoffs and see how it goes. We are growing. Ballard needs to get the talent in to elevate us to the next level.

I've had a great season watching this beautiful team with you all. Next season, the AFCS will be even stronger, our team needs to take the next step forward. I am ready for it.

Reich did not lose this game! A lack of playmakers did! Reich deciding to go for it on 4th and goal was not executed. The play was there to be made but Rivers overthrew Pittman. That was not on Reich it was on Rivers. Loss of 7 points. The thirty something yard missed field goal. Did anyone think Reich did something to make specs. miss! No! It was on specs. Again, lack of execution. Loss of 3 points. The only thing I saw Reich call that I think was weird was a 2 point conversion call that failed. Gain of 1 point. All other plays called that failed the desired result was a lack of execution by Colts players. The play challenge was someone up stairs telling Frank he needs to challenge the play. That call cannot be placed on Frank because i'm sure he was relying on some one who had a better vision of the play than he did. 

IMHO, Reich is having to shoulder to much blame for this game and in fact all year. It's not the play calls or the lack there of or the decision making. It's the lack of consistent playmakers. When the head coach calls whatever play at whatever time in the game it's the players who need to execute. The Colts players are not consistent enough to make plays when they are absolutely needed in crucial situations. Therefore, we need not only talented players but players who are mentally tough. Now, I believe the Colts have these type of players but not enough in key positions. Therefore, I think every play called that doesn't work as intended has to be distributed to whomever and not all on the coach. Execution in football is everything for success. Lack of it has players sitting home and fans complaining. And by the way, some fans on here are clueless and it's quite evident don't know football! 

Therfore, according to me :D adding up and subtracting all the above points, we should of won 33 to 27! The reason we lost by 3 is because of execution!!!!

i was super mad at frank yesterday but thinking about it today without the emotions his game plan kept the colts in the game and made it close .  His game plan had rivers throw 300 yards 2 touchdowns and no picks . We had more total yards and dominated the time holding the ball .   Three bad mistakes by colts players cost the game , frank just put the final blow in the colts by wasting 3 timeouts .

6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i was super mad at frank yesterday but thinking about it today without the emotions his game plan kept the colts in the game and made it close .  His game plan had rivers throw 300 yards 2 touchdowns and no picks . We had more total yards and dominated the time holding the ball .   Three bad mistakes by colts players cost the game , frank just put the final blow in the colts by wasting 3 timeouts .

I had very little to complain about Frank yesterday, we were playing a hot offense and FG's weren't beating Josh Allen. Going for it is fine with me as long as you are deep in your territory, if you don't get it the other the team is still pinned way back. The use of the timeouts is really the only the thing that bothered me.

As for all the would've/could've/should've and what-ifs, that resulted into plenty of missed opportunities, I wanted to comment about 2 lesser talked about frustrating things.

1. Jumping off sides towards the end of the first half. Everyone knew Allen was trying to get someone to jump off sides, and it worked, thus allowing the Bills to get 7 rather than 3. I mean, if there's no offsides, that alone could have had an outcome of 24-23 Colts win.

2. Reich's unnecessary 2nd half timeout. If no timeout taken, there'd be at least one timeout remaining, thus forcing the Bills to be more mindful of a passplay down the middle rather than focusing on just the sidelines. Possibly resulting in a better chance for getting a FG.

We saw this year how a player (JT) can get better with time and experience. Many talked about a “waste of a draft pick”, before he started getting his timing down.

Yet, no allowance to learn and grow is given for a coach by some. (Belichick was fired in Cleveland, before he went to NE).

People point to his failed calls and disregard his successes.

One thing I can say for this team: there’s no “finger pointing” and that’s a sign of high character. Wish I could say the same for some fans.

53 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

Reich did not lose this game! A lack of playmakers did! Reich deciding to go for it on 4th and goal was not executed. The play was there to be made but Rivers overthrew Pittman. That was not on Reich it was on Rivers. Loss of 7 points. The thirty something yard missed field goal. Did anyone think Reich did something to make specs. miss! No! It was on specs. Again, lack of execution. Loss of 3 points. The only thing I saw Reich call that I think was weird was a 2 point conversion call that failed. Gain of 1 point. All other plays called that failed the desired result was a lack of execution by Colts players. The play challenge was someone up stairs telling Frank he needs to challenge the play. That call cannot be placed on Frank because i'm sure he was relying on some one who had a better vision of the play than he did. 

IMHO, Reich is having to shoulder to much blame for this game and in fact all year. It's not the play calls or the lack there of or the decision making. It's the lack of consistent playmakers. When the head coach calls whatever play at whatever time in the game it's the players who need to execute. The Colts players are not consistent enough to make plays when they are absolutely needed in crucial situations. Therefore, we need not only talented players but players who are mentally tough. Now, I believe the Colts have these type of players but not enough in key positions. Therefore, I think every play called that doesn't work as intended has to be distributed to whomever and not all on the coach. Execution in football is everything for success. Lack of it has players sitting home and fans complaining. And by the way, some fans on here are clueless and it's quite evident don't know football! 

Therfore, according to me :D adding up and subtracting all the above points, we should of won 33 to 27! The reason we lost by 3 is because of execution!!!!

Did he make a stupid challenge on top of being over aggressive. Roulette Reich is asking for always pulling the trigger. He stuck with Vinny for too long, abandoned the run too often, and doesn't own up to poor decisions.

46 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

The game plan was good but that challenge and agression were unacceptable. Why go for two, I get the 4th down TD attempt. But not the calls he made down the stretch.

27 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

doesn't own up to poor decisions.

I was in full agreement with you all thru until this last part. You have obviously never watched a post game presser by Frank Reich, he not only owns up to his own failures in decision making, but often times, he shoulders the blame for the mistakes players make. That part being dangerous in my opinion. But one can never say Frank Reich doesn’t own his own mistakes. That’s a complete fabrication 

2 hours ago, w87r said:

I count 3.

I mostly agree with you.   

I know the lAtter 2 point conversion cancels the first miss out on the scoreboard, but it was still a poor choice by Reich.

I would also add having Rivers throw the hail Mary was a poor decision.  

Reich gets my blame in this game.

26 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Yes the players played a role. Hey Bill's had big drops too though. You can forgive rookie mistakes not a veteran coach beating himself.

A veteran head coach that’s had a revolving door at QB for his entire tenure. 

that doesn’t excuse his decision making. 

look, I’m not saying Reich is perfect, he shares a large responsibility for what went down yesterday. But he’s not bad either. And he’s young, he’s gonna make mistakes. Is he stupidly aggressive at times, absolutely he is. So was Belichick, anyone remember that infamous 4th and 2 inside their own territory years ago? 

Reich I think will grow and learn from this just as players do. It is part of the reason i wouldn’t be opposed to Rivers coming back. We have never had the chance to see what a team with the same QB for two years in a row can do under Riech. 

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was in full agreement with you all thru until this last part. You have obviously never watched a post game presser by Frank Reich, he not only owns up to his own failures in decision making, but often times, he shoulders the blame for the mistakes players make. That part being dangerous in my opinion. But one can never say Frank Reich doesn’t own his own mistakes. That’s a complete fabrication 

Frank does own up to his mistakes that he feels are mistakes. He doesn't own up to mistakes that WE feel are mistakes. I thought not kicking the FG on 4th a 4 was a mistake. If Frank doesn't come out and say "I should have kicked the FG" it's not because he won't own up to it, it's because in his mind it was the right call.

People are blaming Frank because so far hasn't shown the ability to learn from his mistakes as the season goes on. Frank has a hard time getting too greedy instead of taking the points. When that could have gotten you to OT, you tend to blow up. Theres no next Sunday. This was the playoffs and Reichs lack of learning cost us this season. 

12 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

People are blaming Frank because so far hasn't shown the ability to learn from his mistakes as the season goes on. Frank has a hard time getting too greedy instead of taking the points. When that could have gotten you to OT, you tend to blow up. Theres no next Sunday. This was the playoffs and Reichs lack of learning cost us this season. 

To people blaming lack of playmakers on the team (if true) actually reflects poorly on Reich.  If that is why we fail the question becomes why is he calling plays that his players cant execute?  If anyone knows their limitations it should be Reich.

I like frank, I liked this years team.  We should be going to KC.  We played well enough to win.  Playcalling in the red zone, poor clock management, a bad challenge, a missed fg, and a Turay off sides......thats all it takes to end a run. 

On field tho it was one of our better games this year.

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Agree. Predictably bad decisions. And awful game management. I like Frank but he is a lousy game day play caller. If he gives up the play calling I’d feel better about the Colts’ future. But until then.....going for it 4th and 4 after calling a mindlessly stupid sweep the play before when it was 3rd and 1 ( and you had a timeout to figure out the play); consistently getting cute in the red zone with Jacoby et al and failing; giving up on the run; OR, calling run after run, usually the same play, until it gets stuffed; and bad management of your TO’s. Yeah, I’m getting real tired of Frank’s learning on the job. He needs to step up his game. I hope he can. 

• SteelCityColt changed the title to Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)

Frank will admit some mistakes (others he'll try and double down that they were ok) then he'll go into the next game and make them again, repeatedly for the entire season and the playoffs. He still hasn't learned situationally when to go for it on 4th and when to kick FGs. It cost us yesterday (although Blankenship equally cost us and is a choker to me now, a 30 yard kick should never be missed unless it's blocked), and it's made games very difficult throughout the year. He's taken the gas off the pedal in the times we do gain leads (Texans games are a perfect example and the second Jags game), and almost loses every time. If we fall behind, he will completely abandon the run instead of use Taylor to help move the ball. He takes risks just for the sake of taking risks it seems. Momentum is one thing, but you still gain momentum kicking a FG and scoring Vs the other team. 

He is an old man set in his ways that refuses to change. He'll admit when he does something wrong and take responsibility, but he won't change his strategy based on that, he'll just do the same thing he did the prior week. So it also makes us predictable. Rinse and repeat with this bad coach. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

A veteran head coach that’s had a revolving door at QB for his entire tenure. 

that doesn’t excuse his decision making. 

look, I’m not saying Reich is perfect, he shares a large responsibility for what went down yesterday. But he’s not bad either. And he’s young, he’s gonna make mistakes. Is he stupidly aggressive at times, absolutely he is. So was Belichick, anyone remember that infamous 4th and 2 inside their own territory years ago? 

Reich I think will grow and learn from this just as players do. It is part of the reason i wouldn’t be opposed to Rivers coming back. We have never had the chance to see what a team with the same QB for two years in a row can do under Riech. 

Bingo. People forget he has only coached the Colts for 3 years. Lots to learn. I think we really need a corner and reciever badly

1 hour ago, Sumo63 said:

To people blaming lack of playmakers on the team (if true) actually reflects poorly on Reich.  If that is why we fail the question becomes why is he calling plays that his players cant execute?  If anyone knows their limitations it should be Reich.

I like frank, I liked this years team.  We should be going to KC.  We played well enough to win.  Playcalling in the red zone, poor clock management, a bad challenge, a missed fg, and a Turay off sides......thats all it takes to end a run. 

On field tho it was one of our better games this year.

I agree. The players played hard for all 4 qtrs imo which I cant say for the regular season. Even the third qtr where they struggled all year they played all out. Why is that not the case for the regular season? 

Also last hear the Colts were the opposite. A great red zone team vs this year they struggled in the red zone. So whats the problem? 

Archived