Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)

EastStreet

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

You're most likely correct.  I'm not totally sure Rivers is tho....I think Ballard needs to make his mark on the qb position this offseason.

Franchise qbs aren't easy to find.   I hope he can find a young qb for the future.    Teams try every year

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Take some time to hop on the Bills forums. Quite a few of them thought they were lucky to win. Relief is the palpable feeling.

Many of them feel they were.....outCOACHED.

"Bills got out coached but won. That’s what great teams do. Not gonna be that lucky next week though so they better shape up."

"On the Colts site they want to fire Reich. "

"I knew the Colts had a good OL, but man even I underestimated them. Their run blocking and blocks on screens was phenomenal all day. Was glad to escape this one with the W."

"Bills got exposed and outplayed today by the Colts. Indy basically game that game away. Buffalo will get knocked out next week."

Pittsburgh deserved to lose for that decision Mike T made. UNACCEPTABLE.

As a Bills fan I feel like we got out coached by a large margin. If Indy scores the touchdown before the half Buffalo is in serious trouble, they where playing bad and Daboll’s play calling was horrible, the worst of the season. If Indy scores the touchdown Frank looks like a genius. Franks game plan was a few bad passes and a few drops from winning an away playoff game. 

I think a lot of people where giving Buffalo too much credit because of there great play the last 4 weeks of the regular season. Buffalo’s coaches and players choked last year in the WC round and they’re reminded of it often. They played scared against Indy, combine that with a good team with good coaches and I can’t believe they won the game. 

42 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Franchise qbs aren't easy to find.   I hope he can find a young qb for the future.    Teams try every year

Too true.  I just think another 1 year band-aid hurts his legacy and ultimately shortens his tenure.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a young franchise guy tho.  A "Stafford type" veteran with 5 to 7 (presumably) good years left might be his preferred route if its available to him.

Rivers for 1 more at 20+ million just doesn't move the needle.  Although, I do think that is the most likely signing at this point.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:53 PM, Sumo63 said:

I think it's as much hoping for a PI call as a completion in that scenario.  Imo that call was the least offensive of the day

I don't disagree, but Brissett should have been the one throwing the ball.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:33 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

Frank will admit some mistakes (others he'll try and double down that they were ok) then he'll go into the next game and make them again, repeatedly for the entire season and the playoffs. He still hasn't learned situationally when to go for it on 4th and when to kick FGs. It cost us yesterday (although Blankenship equally cost us and is a choker to me now, a 30 yard kick should never be missed unless it's blocked), and it's made games very difficult throughout the year. He's taken the gas off the pedal in the times we do gain leads (Texans games are a perfect example and the second Jags game), and almost loses every time. If we fall behind, he will completely abandon the run instead of use Taylor to help move the ball. He takes risks just for the sake of taking risks it seems. Momentum is one thing, but you still gain momentum kicking a FG and scoring Vs the other team. 

He is an old man set in his ways that refuses to change. He'll admit when he does something wrong and take responsibility, but he won't change his strategy based on that, he'll just do the same thing he did the prior week. So it also makes us predictable. Rinse and repeat with this bad coach. 

He missed that kick and it sucked, but by itself its not too damaging to his prospects as a good NFL kicker.  It hits the post and falls in its an afterthought.  Rookie puckered a little today.  Ok.  So did JT, Turay, etc.

To me the problem with Hot Rod is they didn't even try a 50 yd FG last week v. the Jags which would have basically put the game out of reach and sent the Colts to the post.

If you can't rely on your young kicker to even attempt a 50 yd FG to win you a game, then you need to find someone else.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:49 AM, FormerBolt said:

Coach Reich let the media influence his decisions. The Colts are better than he fhought. The talking heads said the Colts would be outscored by twenty points against the Bills. So Reich wanted every last point he could get. That's why he went for a td instead of a field goal. It's why he went for 2 points instead of one. As it rurned out, the Colts only needed to play their usual game, and they would've won. It is an example of how people who aren't on the field influenced a game 

I agree absolutely with what you say.

From the football pundits and from even many on this board, the feeling was we were going to get blown out.

Somehow Reich thought he was playing Marino and the miami dolphins and had to score the most points every opportunity he got.

Had he just coached conservatively (taking the field goal in the first and not making that horrible challenge), we win the game.

It concerns me that Reich has been around the game a long time, and yet he says "analytics" said 4th and 4 was a strong go. That to me is a coach who is not confident in making a decision based on his many years in the game, and instead uses the crutch of analytics to make the tough decisions.

And as far as the 4th and 4 goes, how do you rely on analytics in this situation? There are way too many variables that make the data irrelevant and incomplete. The fact that FR couldn't say in his head "they stuffed us on the goal line on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down, and the Bills defense pumped up. We need to get some points" is mind boggling to me.  Every single thing on that series said kick the field goal, except apparently, flawed analytics data. Analytics has it's place, but this wasn't one of them.

If FR doesn't have a feel for the game at this point in his career, then he never will. If he does have the feel but not the confidence to rely on it, then this is who he is and nothing will change.

Having said all this, I like Reich and I think he is a really good coach and the Colts should absolutely keep him. I just want to see him improve his decision making and not continue to make the same mistakes over and over.

I honestly think our best chance to win the whole thing was this year, Reich decision's cost us that game against Buffalo going for it on 4th and 4 up 10-7 was to aggressive our offense was keeping Allen of the field giving him less chances to score, and that time out on the fumble was ridiculous it was so obvious it was not .I no we had some dropped passes and missed field goal plus that one bad penalty. 

Or if we score we could win the game.  Colts were the 7th seed playing on the road vs an awesome Bills team.  He played to win and came up short.  His calls put it in the players hands.  It was a good game and a great season that exceeded expectations.  I had fun this year watching the Colts with no regrets.  

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Or if we score we could win the game.  Colts were the 7th seed playing on the road vs an awesome Bills team.  He played to win and came up short.  His calls put it in the players hands.  It was a good game and a great season that exceeded expectations.  I had fun this year watching the Colts with no regrets.  

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

We where the better team that day Bills are overrated 

I was upset with Reich too, but then looked at his calls logically. Rivers misses an open receiver in the end zone when they went for it.  A boink off the goal post on a relatively easy FG.  And Turay making a truly bonehead play which amounted to 4 extra points.  

The loss wasn’t on Frank.  

48 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

I honestly think our best chance to win the whole thing was this year, Reich decision's cost us that game against Buffalo going for it on 4th and 4 up 10-7 was to aggressive our offense was keeping Allen of the field giving him less chances to score, and that time out on the fumble was ridiculous it was so obvious it was not .I no we had some dropped passes and missed field goal plus that one bad penalty. 

1) Dear God...

2) Hey, here is a fresh & timely take

1 hour ago, colts8718 said:

:nutz:

3 hours ago, colts8718 said:

I few buddies and I have all said the same thing.

We were very very close to being 13-3 and a #2 going into the playoffs. Bad game plan vs Jax, just bad 2nd half coaching on both sides of the ball vs Pitt, etc. cost us that 13-3 record, and playoff position. Had we had that, I really would have loved our chances vs Buffalo in Indy despite some very bad calls by Reich. But yes, I think Reich was the biggest factor in the loss. 

I would also like our chances (not suggesting we'd easily win) going to KC playing against perhaps a hobbled Mahomes. And none of the NFC teams scare me.

Agree, we had a great chance this year, and squandered a lot of things.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I few buddies and I have all said the same thing.

We were very very close to being 13-3 and a #2 going into the playoffs. Bad game plan vs Jax, just bad 2nd half coaching on both sides of the ball vs Pitt, etc. cost us that 13-3 record, and playoff position. Had we had that, I really would have loved our chances vs Buffalo in Indy despite some very bad calls by Reich. But yes, I think Reich was the biggest factor in the loss. 

I would also like our chances (not suggesting we'd easily win) going to KC playing against perhaps a hobbled Mahomes. And none of the NFC teams scare me.

Agree, we had a great chance this year, and squandered a lot of things.

I was going to mention  those games had the same exact thoughts  have been a colts fan since 1968 this one really hurt. I have friends who are Buffalo fans calling me and said we never should have lost that gam ,and they love Reich but said he blew it. We where the better team 

11 minutes ago, colts8718 said:

I was going to mention  those games had the same exact thoughts  have been a colts fan since 1968 this one really hurt. I have friends who are Buffalo fans calling me and said we never should have lost that gam ,and they love Reich but said he blew it. We where the better team 

We dominated a lot of the areas of the game. Just boneheaded calls here and there. Frustrating lol.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We dominated a lot of the areas of the game. Just boneheaded calls here and there. Frustrating lol.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in touch your one of the more logical take care GO COLTS

5 hours ago, colts8718 said:

I do not enjoy losing when your the better team that day and your coach helps the other team way to go analytical Frank

It's a game my friend, just enjoy it for what it is, no need for it to put you out of peace... Mistakes happen in life, hindsight is always 20/20, so it's easy for us to say. Not so easy in the moment when everyone's in your ear giving you their opinion. 

Well I have to say we saw the bills and packers go conservative and kick fgs instead of going for it on key downs and both lost and it sounds like Lafleur is regreting the FG kick. That’s the one reason I do like the aggressive play calling because I’d rather go for it and not get it then be in the Packers position and going “what if”

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Well I have to say we saw the bills and packers go conservative and kick fgs instead of going for it on key downs and both lost and it sounds like Lafleur is regreting the FG kick. That’s the one reason I do like the aggressive play calling because I’d rather go for it and not get it then be in the Packers position and going “what if”

That was pretty bad not going for it in that situation. It's not a comparable situation to Reich's though. Totally different.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

That was pretty bad not going for it in that situation. It's not a comparable situation to Reich's though. Totally different.

I would have to disagree because when you boil it down its just "are you gonna play it aggressive or conservative"

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

If frank was playing brady and if the logical move was to go for it THEN HE WOULD have gone conservative too and make a bone head decision. 

Teams against the Pat's and now brady in tampa make bad boneheaded plays and decisions. 

That's  Fact.

5 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Yep even if Rodgers failed on 4th and goal. They pin the Bucs deep with all 3 time outs. I still think Rodgers could've ran for it on the previous play.

Yep and yep. Instead, he threw it to a double or triple covered WR sitting on the GL IIRC.

The game situation though itself (time, score) was just way different overall. 

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would rather play aggressive football then playing scared like what we saw yesterday.

I don't want to play super aggressive, but don't want to be super conservative either. A happy medium between Reich and Arians is optimal to me. With the creativity of Reid.... 

@Nickster what did you think about Arians yesterday. His risk it biscuit was great on that one call for a TD to the left, but also was responsible for 3 INTs from Brady. It was basically a Winston game yesterday lol. Brady was just more effective short/intermediate, and in the RZ that Winston.

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

Aren’t they both aggressive?  Or do you mean you want more aggression from reich but less than the Uber aggro Arians ?

I don't see Reich as aggressive in general (typical play calling), only when the analytics card tells him to be on 4th down.... Arians is aggressive all game every game with game plan and play calling, and most specifically with downfield shots (the risk it biscuit)

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see Reich as aggressive in general (typical play calling), only when the analytics card tells him to be on 4th down.... Arians is aggressive all game every game with game plan and play calling, and most specifically with downfield shots (the risk it biscuit)

Ahhh. That’s fair.  Yeah I preached that Brady was going to get killed by no risk it no biscuit but I was way wrong.  

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

Ahhh. That’s fair.  Yeah I preached that Brady was going to get killed by no risk it no biscuit but I was way wrong.  

That one long shot TD to the left when everyone thought it would be conservative was a great call/gamble that paid off. The long shots that created 3 INTs, not so much. TB has so many great pieces, they were able to overcome things. I don't think they can toss 3 INTs vs KC and win. IMO, they need to play more ball control vs KC. Fournette is also coming on at the right time. He had some really angry runs yesterday.

Archived