Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)

EastStreet

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Most successful people use both the eye and alg. They are also much more objective than subjective in their decision making.

But you are correct in part. A lot of objective conclusion come from a subjective theory to start with. One should always challenge his subjective thought with objective fact. And so long as that person is not blinded by confirmation bias in their examination of objective data, that's the best outcome.

This is what I am saying.  

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Then you should do a better job of challenging you subjective theory with objective fact lol. 

But I only highlighted the part of the statements you made that said, " A lot of objective conclusion come from a subjective theory to start with."

I don't necessarily agreee with, "One should always challenge his subjective thought with objective fact. And so long as that person is not blinded by confirmation bias in their examination of objective data, that's the best outcome."

I'd modify that statement somewhat.  Only Siths deal in absolutes and conclusions drawn by a single person are subject to a wide range of errror.

I would modify that statement to something more like, "It is often expediaent for people to challenge their subjective thoughts with objective facts when it makes logical sense.  And so long as this massive group of individuals in aggragate is not blinded by confirmation bias it it's examination of the objective data, that's often an efficacious outcome." 

There I am glad we could agree on this topic when we brought it to reconciliation.

51 minutes ago, Nickster said:

But I only highlighted the part of the statements you made that said, " A lot of objective conclusion come from a subjective theory to start with."

I don't necessarily agreee with, "One should always challenge his subjective thought with objective fact. And so long as that person is not blinded by confirmation bias in their examination of objective data, that's the best outcome."

I'd modify that statement somewhat.  Only Siths deal in absolutes and conclusions drawn by a single person are subject to a wide range of errror.

I would modify that statement to something more like, "It is often expediaent for people to challenge their subjective thoughts with objective facts when it makes logical sense.  And so long as this massive group of individuals in aggragate is not blinded by confirmation bias it it's examination of the objective data, that's often an efficacious outcome." 

There I am glad we could agree on this topic when we brought it to reconciliation.

Too much peyote in the days on the reservation??

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The failures of America's educational system has nothing to do with statistical use of anything IMO. The Nordic and many Asian countries are killing us. The Fins for example have a deep cultural respect for learning. The Asian countries have a deep respect for hard work. The US has neither. We need to learn from S. Korea specifically about determination, and from Finland about cultural buy in to the importance of education. Here in the US, we want to make excuses, let kids disrupt classes, let parents off the hook, and pass kids on to the next grade without a standardized or acceptable level of testing. 

Amen, I said Amen!  Preach on Brother East.

It's an American tragedy. 

14 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Amen, I said Amen!  Preach on Brother East.

It's an American tragedy. 

We're a joke of a country and sliding more and more every year. Like I've said, I have several in my extended family ranging from grade school teachers to profs. A cousin that just retired from teaching at PU for 25+ years. I've heard so many horror stories. There's problems in every facet. Lazy students, disinterested parents, too many stupid degrees, politicians pushing for lax standards, teachers who are more interested in teaching their opinion than course material, too much abstract and not enough practical, I could go on and on. I've done some mentor programs, and several job fairs over the last 20 years. While a little bit has improved (top end talent), the overall majority has gotten progressively worse. Sad stuff. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We're a joke of a country and sliding more and more every year. Like I've said, I have several in my extended family ranging from grade school teachers to profs. A cousin that just retired from teaching at PU for 25+ years. I've heard so many horror stories. There's problems in every facet. Lazy students, disinterested parents, too many stupid degrees, politicians pushing for lax standards, teachers who are more interested in teaching their opinion than course material, too much abstract and not enough practical, I could go on and on. I've done some mentor programs, and several job fairs over the last 20 years. While a little bit has improved (top end talent), the overall majority has gotten progressively worse. Sad stuff. 

And there is all kinds of statistical data do Demonstrate state these trends :D

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

And there is all kinds of statistical data do Demonstrate state these trends :D

Some states like Cali are trying to hide their stats, or do away with testing so there is no statistical modeling in the first place. Like I said, backsliding in the wrong direction. 

In the last couple years, I've vacationed with a few different families who have/had kids getting ready to go to college. Intelligent, and very good kids... Their level of preparedness was low, entitlement high, and expectations of pay after college was unrealistic for their favored degrees. Add HS GCs to the list of failures lol. One was a junior, and was dead set on going to an expensive private college. They had zero clue of the basic foreign language requirements. When I told them they would need to catch up with summer classes, all of sudden they abandoned the college they were dead set on attending lol.. 

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Some states like Cali are trying to hide their stats, or do away with testing so there is no statistical modeling in the first place. Like I said, backsliding in the wrong direction. 

In the last couple years, I've vacationed with a few different families who have/had kids getting ready to go to college. Intelligent, and very good kids... Their level of preparedness was low, entitlement high, and expectations of pay after college was unrealistic for their favored degrees. Add HS GCs to the list of failures lol. One was a junior, and was dead set on going to an expensive private college. They had zero clue of the basic foreign language requirements. When I told them they would need to catch up with summer classes, all of sudden they abandoned the college they were dead set on attending lol.. 

I’m afraid it’s going to get tough for them friend.  But they’ll adapt, or . . .not.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Huh?   What the heck?!?

Cali is trying to hide stats?   California has the largest population in the country, 40 million.  No other state is even close.  Hard to hide stats when the state is that big. 

Say hello to the states of Florida and Georgia who often have “better rates” than the states around them despite having more lax regulations and more open society.  In other words, the opposite of what any reasonable person would expect.   Look at the Governors of those two states.  That explains numbers that don’t add up. 

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   What the heck?!?

Cali is trying to hide stats?   California has the largest population in the country, 40 million.  No other state is even close.  Hard to hide stats when the state is that big. 

Say hello to the states of Florida and Georgia who often have “better rates” than the states around them despite having more lax regulations and more open society.  In other words, the opposite of what any reasonable person would expect.   Look at the Governors of those two states.  That explains numbers that don’t add up. 

Do you even know what we are talking about? Or did you just get triggered when you saw Cali referenced.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Do you even know what we are talking about? Or did you just get triggered when you saw Cali referenced.

It doesn’t matter does it?

When have you ever thought I knew what I was talking about?   The answer is NEVER.

There is only one opinion you care about.  Yours.   Nothing else matters. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It doesn’t matter does it?

When have you ever thought I knew what I was talking about?   The answer is NEVER.

There is only one opinion you care about.  Yours.   Nothing else matters. 

Welp, that answers my question... 

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?   What the heck?!?

I think you are confused on the subject

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Welp, that answers my question... 

I’m not asking you to agree with my politics or my position.  But you’ve been here long enough to know I spent 30 years in the news media.  I covered sports and news.   So, I took your comment about “do I know what I’m talking about” as the insult it was intended to be. 

It’s always impressive that you love to insult people and not be held accountable. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not asking you to agree with my politics or my position.  But you’ve been here long enough to know I spent 30 years in the news media.  I covered sports and news.   So, I took your comment about “do I know what I’m talking about” as the insult it was intended to be. 

It’s always impressive that you love to insult people and not be held accountable. 

Your comment/reply mentioned nothing about the topic we were discussing. Only some random ramblings about Cali being big, and a comparison to FL that didn't make sense.

So sorry, nothing suggested you understood what the conversation was about. Please feel free to try again instead of a "huh" and "what the heck"

As far as your mysterious background in news/sports goes, please feel free to enlighten us with the details. And just because you might have been in a particular sector, adds no credence to the topic we were discussing. @Nickster on the other hand is the specific field we are discussing, and I have a close friend that works on comparative DBing of national results specific to the topic at hand.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Your comment/reply mentioned nothing about the topic we were discussing. Only some random ramblings about Cali being big, and a comparison to FL that didn't make sense.

So sorry, nothing suggested you understood what the conversation was about. Please feel free to try again instead of a "huh" and "what the heck"

As far as your mysterious background in news/sports goes, please feel free to enlighten us with the details. And just because you might have been in a particular sector, adds no credence to the topic we were discussing. @Nickster on the other hand is the specific field we are discussing, and I have a close friend that works on comparative DBing of national results specific to the topic at hand.

My “mysterious background” is only a mystery to you.   It’s pretty well known around here.   I’ve even posted my resume here to prove my background for one poster who refused to believe me.   

I covered the Rams and Raiders for roughly 15 years.  I covered USC and UCLA for roughly 20 years.   I’ve interviewed owners, GMs, head coaches, coordinators, assistant coaches, and hundreds, if not thousands of players.   I’ve won awards for my work.  I’m mostly retired now, but that leaves me time to follow things as if I’m still on the job.  

Whether you and I agree,  I think I’m pretty well informed.   But, as always, reasonable people can reasonably disagree. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My “mysterious background” is only a mystery to you.   It’s pretty well known around here.   I’ve even posted my resume here to prove my background for one poster who refused to believe me.   

I covered the Rams and Raiders for roughly 15 years.  I covered USC and UCLA for roughly 20 years.   I’ve interviewed owners, GMs, head coaches, coordinators, assistant coaches, and hundreds, if not thousands of players.   I’ve won awards for my work.  I’m mostly retired now, but that leaves me time to follow things as if I’m still on the job.  

Whether you and I agree,  I think I’m pretty well informed.   But, as always, reasonable people can reasonably disagree. 

You've said this before and I ask you a short and simple question IIRC. Who for?

Regardless, how does working in the media give you special or superior knowledge about unrelated issues. Does it make you an expert on "all" things? Again, the conversation you jumped into was topic specific. If you'd like to add factual and topic relevant points, please feel free. 

You've said this before and I ask you a short and simple question IIRC. Who for?

Regardless, how does working in the media give you special or superior knowledge about unrelated issues. Does it make you an expert on "all" things? Again, the conversation you jumped into was topic specific. If you'd like to add factual and topic relevant points, please feel free. 

I owe you an apology.    I misread your post.   I misunderstood your meaning.    My response was wrong.

As to whether you think my background covering sports for a career makes me more knowledgeable about football than most people,  that's entirely up to you.    As it is about all posters here.   I leave it up to each person.   I think you've made your feelings about me and my views pretty apparent.    Some here might agree with you.    Others may not.    I think that's the way it is for all posters here.    I don't go around saying I'm the smartest person here as another poster did just yesterday.   I've never said that.   As to the unrelated issues...   I guess it depends on the issue.

Again, my bad on the mix-up.   I own it.   My apologies.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I owe you an apology.    I misread your post.   I misunderstood your meaning.    My response was wrong.

As to whether you think my background covering sports for a career makes me more knowledgeable about football than most people,  that's entirely up to you.    As it is about all posters here.   I leave it up to each person.   I think you've made your feelings about me and my views pretty apparent.    Some here might agree with you.    Others may not.    I think that's the way it is for all posters here.    I don't go around saying I'm the smartest person here as another poster did just yesterday.   I've never said that.   As to the unrelated issues...   I guess it depends on the issue.

Again, my bad on the mix-up.   I own it.   My apologies.

No worries, and thank you for taking the time to read back into the exchange that I was having with @Nickster to understand the subject matter. I truly appreciate your redirect here and effort.  My comment on Cali was not meant to instigate a * of tat, but was based on my first hand and publicly accepted knowledge of the difficulty encountered to obtain statistical data from the state (relevant to the topic at hand, but also historically on certain data sets). If you are interested, let me know as I am happy to expand and provide background.

As far as football knowledge, like I said, I've asked you a simple question prior, which you did not answer. That's OK too, as I would not want you to feel at risk of putting personal info out on a public forum. I know you said you put your CV out (which I wouldn't have done), but I would not ask that. If you feel like sharing, feel free to PM it so long as it's a simple info exchange and not a behind the scenes * for tat. If you do PM, rest assured that the details, and any identifiable data would remain between you and I.

In general I will be transparent on the topic of media. I know folks personally that were talking heads and/or reporters from Indy from the 90s growing up (one well known from the IS), 2 more in my current primary state of residence, and a few more (one very close) in a country I held a second residency in and worked for a decent period. I've also given PCs myself in multiple countries, and been on the giving of end of interviews. Reporters are subject matter experts about reporting/journalism (well, some) , not on the topics they are reporting on. Just like I am a SME on my field of expertise, not necessarily on the fields I interact with regularly.

I have plenty of direct and indirect connections with the sport itself, but it doesn't make me special. I am however blessed to have a bit more insight, varied opinions, and data points. Some of my funniest memories are with a few players, three now talking heads, in a little bar on S Illinois in the 90s. Great guys that I love, but whoa, they have differing opinions even amongst themselves lol. Also neighbors and buds with a current player in my state but that's an ongoing and incomplete data point. Most have one thing in common. They didn't trust the media, but all knew it was a potential post FB career so they had to play nice lol. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

No worries, and thank you for taking the time to read back into the exchange that I was having with @Nickster to understand the subject matter. I truly appreciate your redirect here and effort.  My comment on Cali was not meant to instigate a * of tat, but was based on my first hand and publicly accepted knowledge of the difficulty encountered to obtain statistical data from the state (relevant to the topic at hand, but also historically on certain data sets). If you are interested, let me know as I am happy to expand and provide background.

As far as football knowledge, like I said, I've asked you a simple question prior, which you did not answer. That's OK too, as I would not want you to feel at risk of putting personal info out on a public forum. I know you said you put your CV out (which I wouldn't have done), but I would not ask that. If you feel like sharing, feel free to PM it so long as it's a simple info exchange and not a behind the scenes * for tat. If you do PM, rest assured that the details, and any identifiable data would remain between you and I.

In general I will be transparent on the topic of media. I know folks personally that were talking heads and/or reporters from Indy from the 90s growing up (one well known from the IS), 2 more in my current primary state of residence, and a few more (one very close) in a country I held a second residency in and worked for a decent period. I've also given PCs myself in multiple countries, and been on the giving of end of interviews. Reporters are subject matter experts about reporting/journalism (well, some) , not on the topics they are reporting on. Just like I am a SME on my field of expertise, not necessarily on the fields I interact with regularly.

I have plenty of direct and indirect connections with the sport itself, but it doesn't make me special. I am however blessed to have a bit more insight, varied opinions, and data points. Some of my funniest memories are with a few players, three now talking heads, in a little bar on S Illinois in the 90s. Great guys that I love, but whoa, they have differing opinions even amongst themselves lol. Also neighbors and buds with a current player in my state but that's an ongoing and incomplete data point. Most have one thing in common. They didn't trust the media, but all knew it was a potential post FB career so they had to play nice lol. 

I take no offense when I hear that most athletes don’t like or trust the media.   There are tons of good reasons why that is so.   There’s lots of bad, uninformed media out there.   You may have seen some of my posts ranting about Local AM Sports Talk Radio on the last few days.  Most of it is bad, and that’s being kind.   Even on a National level, there are very poor analysts who were once players.  But a fair number are actually quite good. 

I’ll be happy to send you my resume over the weekend.  But I’m currently blocked from sending you PMs.   Open your inbox, and I’ll send it. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I take no offense when I hear that most athletes don’t like or trust the media.   There are tons of good reasons why that is so.   There’s lots of bad, uninformed media out there.   You may have seen some of my posts ranting about Local AM Sports Talk Radio on the last few days.  Most of it is bad, and that’s being kind.   Even on a National level, there are very poor analysts who were once players.  But a fair number are actually quite good. 

I’ll be happy to send you my resume over the weekend.  But I’m currently blocked from sending you PMs.   Open your inbox, and I’ll send it. 

I didn't block you, at least I don't think I did. Might have been a mod after some of our exchanges? How about you send it to someone like @SteelCityColt or @Superman and one of them can relay it, turn off the block, or add me on. Again, appreciate you efforts looking back on that prior exchange and redirecting the conversation. Good stuff. 

On the topic of players turned media. One of my fav players from back then (was more of a friend to my BF than me) was a huge media hater. Now he's thick as thieves with some of the guys he didn't like and making more money than he ever did as a player (at least I would estimate). He also has some of the worst hot takes out there and gets made fun of by his cohorts. He's a great guy though, means well, and is one of the most genuine guys I've ever met.

I didn't block you, at least I don't think I did. Might have been a mod after some of our exchanges? How about you send it to someone like @SteelCityColt or @Superman and one of them can relay it, turn off the block, or add me on. Again, appreciate you efforts looking back on that prior exchange and redirecting the conversation. Good stuff. 

On the topic of players turned media. One of my fav players from back then (was more of a friend to my BF than me) was a huge media hater. Now he's thick as thieves with some of the guys he didn't like and making more money than he ever did as a player (at least I would estimate). He also has some of the worst hot takes out there and gets made fun of by his cohorts. He's a great guy though, means well, and is one of the most genuine guys I've ever met.

It's been sent.   As of 11:45p my time,  2:45a your time.

Archived