Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)

EastStreet

I thought Reich in general prepared and called the right game plan on offense. We were balancing the run and the pass nicely and moving the ball up the field. We had 50 yards more in total offense than the outstanding Bills offense.

Its situationally, Reich made some costly errors. The playcalling on the final drive before half time and the challenge were definitely costly.

I dunno though, I don't feel comfortable putting all the blame on Reich. It was also players, just didn't execute the plays at crucial stages, Kemoko offsides, Blankenship miss, Rivers overthrow on 4th and goal, Taylor drop on 3rd down, etc. It was a true team loss imo.

This is the playoffs, the margins are tight.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah i am. And you're talking of Reid AFTER he got Mahomes. Give Reich even Luck and watch magic happen. 

You forget the level of complaints Reid used to generate when his QBs where McNabb and Alex Smith. Suddenly he has Mahomes and even iffy play calls are hailed as genius now. 

Yeah i am comparing them. Reich makes some mistakes in-game but i am so glad he's the Colts HC. 

Reid has won different COY awards 4 different years and has a long history of great play calling.

The comparison isn't a comparison.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah i am. And you're talking of Reid AFTER he got Mahomes. Give Reich even Luck and watch magic happen. 

You forget the level of complaints Reid used to generate when his QBs where McNabb and Alex Smith. Suddenly he has Mahomes and even iffy play calls are hailed as genius now. 

Yeah i am comparing them. Reich makes some mistakes in-game but i am so glad he's the Colts HC. 

Reid has always been a great coach though. He made McNabb better than he was. Look what he did with Alex Smith. Reid's issues were always clock management.

Reich shouldn't be compared to Reid. Just like Reid shouldn't be compared to--and I hate to say it Colts fans because we despise him--Belichick

Mahomes needs Reid just as much as Reid needs Mahomes.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I've stated this MULTIPLE times this year. 

Take. The. Flipping. Points.

Jeezush Reich you and you alone lost this game for your team. Stop calling plays on emotion, take the points that are there. 

You left 4 points on the field.....we win. Period.

Full stop!

I agree.  Reich needs a good chewing out by Irsay.

31 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If Rivers hits Pittman on the 4th or 3rd down plays (both lead to missed points TD & FG) he’s the talk of the town and we wouldn’t have needed the 2 minute drive to tie?  Frank put Rivers in position to have a “great” game overall. But like you said and I agree with, he had a “good” game overall instead. 

he had bad misses on critical plays that hurt us bad , but it was the whole team having a melt down that did it .  missing a chip shot field goal did the colts in along with taylor dropping a wide open check down putting the colts in field goal range . the offsides by turray cost us 4 points . just the field goal and offsides is a 7 point swing you add in the dropped touchdown pass and taylor dropping a check down putting us in field goal range the colts choked away 17 points it could of been a easy win without bad mistakes .  jack doyle even dropps a ten yard pass that would have put the colts at the 36 yard line giving hot rod a field goal chance for the game tie .  I never saw a team just melt down the way the colts seem to do all year . that has to be on coaching the lack of fundamentals is obvious and the attention to the small details is also obvious .  The call to only practice once this week affected the sharpness of the wrs and rivers all game .

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Reid has won different COY awards 4 different years and has a long history of great play calling.

Ding ding ding.

McNabb owes his success to Reid. Yet Reid is vilified in Philly for not winning a championship. Hell it's a miracle some of his teams got to the championship game. And it's a miracle the Eagles had a chance at beating the Patriots in SB 39. Those Patriots teams were loaded.

Alex Smith's success is because of Reid too. Those Chiefs teams with Smith had no business being as good as they were.

Long story short, we are in agreement.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

@SteelCityColt just so you know, I like my title better ;-) , but I fully understand the change. 

Emotions lol. At least I'm not literally crying like my buddy's wife, or broke the remote like another buddy :funny:

I'm already thinking next year, and PFF ratings for EOY and FA... Can't say I didn't expect this.

I hear you, I’ve been a fairly staunch defender of Reich for his strategic calls but there were some real head scratchers.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

In 3 years, Reich owns two of the top 8 best scoring offensive seasons in the Colts ENTIRE history. That includes the Mannings years.

Sorry, I think it's a fair comp.

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Maybe it’s a curse... 

Yesterday was the 10 year anniversary of Jim Caldwell helping the Jets beat us in Peyton Manning’s final game of his Colts career... 

Cartoon Thinking GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Wait. Maybe this is a 10 year repeating curse... 

Stemming from this:

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

I am mortified right now. 

Just now, tucky89 said:

Ding ding ding.

McNabb owes his success to Reid. Yet Reid is vilified in Philly for not winning a championship. Hell it's a miracle some of his teams got to the championship game. And it's a miracle the Eagles had a chance at beating the Patriots in SB 39. Those Patriots teams were loaded.

Alex Smith's success is because of Reid too. Those Chiefs teams with Smith had no business being as good as they were.

Long story short, we are in agreement.

giphy.gif

Just now, Colt.45 said:

In 3 years, Reich owns two of the top 8 best scoring offensive seasons in the Colts ENTIRE history. That includes the Mannings years.

Sorry, I think it's a fair comp.

Reich needs to get to a few AFC title games at minimum before we compare him to Reid imo.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

We have a lot of capable players and a few weaknesses to exploit.

The TEAM Lost the game. That is it. 

Now i can look forward to being better next year. 

with the cap drop the team will be worse no way around it . colts have so many players to resign and only 35 million if rivers stays , hilton walker justin houston autry pascal mo muhammad  burton rhodes carrie mack harris  odum and nelson and leonard smith coming up with 35 million how do you keep the team together ?  the team will be worse will a older rivers and a harder schedule next year .  the colts because of goin 7-9 got 10 teams without a winning record to help our record  .  I just dont see it i think they need to do a mild rebuild to get back next year .

6 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Reid has always been a great coach though. He made McNabb better than he was. Look what he did with Alex Smith. Reid's issues were always clock management.

Reich shouldn't be compared to Reid. Just like Reid shouldn't be compared to--and I hate to say it Colts fans because we despise him--Belichick

Mahomes needs Reid just as much as Reid needs Mahomes.

Yup. He made world beaters of McNabb and Smith. And trust me, he has hidden Rivers' flaws this season. He has achieved a top 10 offense this season with a QB who has limitations. He made Brissett so much better than that QB had any business being. Made him look so good that many Colts fans loved #7. Reid had clock issues and other small game management issues. I live in KC, i know firsthand. Just like Reich.

And Belichick is on a plane of his own. I compare no one to him.

Your comment about Mahomes and Reid. GOLD, wish i could give you $ for that comment. And i truly believe that if you give Reich a slightly better QB, who he can elevate. You will see MAGIC. 

Today frank actively put his team in a poorer position to win.  Game long execution mistakes aside, had frank called a mere conservative game at key moments (2 moments in particular) colts win by 1.  If they failed to capitalize in those instances the loss wouldn't be on coaching.  As it stands the players played well enough to win.  Reich hamstrung us, it's a game of inches.  Bad loss.

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I hear you, I’ve been a fairly staunch defender of Reich for his strategic calls but there were some real head scratchers.

I've been critical of him in 3-4 games this year for issues pretty clear cut. I've never called for his head. This one is hyper-head-scratcher. Not sure how anyone can defend with a straight, intellectually honest face.

3 minutes ago, tucky89 said:

Reich needs to get to a few AFC title games at minimum before we compare him to Reid imo.

It'll come. He has been coaching for THREE years. Been to div round, and wildcard round. And in 2 of those three years, he owned one of the best Os in the league. I can't blame fans who are mad at him right now but honestly apart from the silly challenge, i can't see any other play i'd DEFINITELY change. The Colts marched up and down the field on those boys, like they could not be stopped. Execution was not as crisp.

Give that man a QB and some more talent. Indy, you have something SPECIAL at the coaching and GM positions.

7 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The Colts rang up almost 500 yards of offense against a SUPER buffalo team. He made some in-game errors but he learns and will get better. 

Reminds me of how Eagles and even Chiefs fans used to say similar things about Andy Reid. Sure he makes some weird calls but he is absolutely who you want behind the wheels.

I’d change it to “if” he learns he’ll get better. In regard to the aggressiveness, I’m not seeing learning.
With Rivers at QB, not taking the points on 4th and 4 was wrong today, just as it was wrong doing it three times last year vs Jags with JB at QB.
Until we get a QB who can make a play out of a busted play, passing up points in most situations will continue to be wrong. Today, it was critically wrong. 
Frank needs to learn that soon. 

Having said that, I understand the thinking behind going for two with the ball at the one.

Andy Reid was always criticized for his poor game management. It got much better when he got Mahomes. Go figure. 

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

It'll come. He has been coaching for THREE years. Been to div round, and wildcard round. And in 2 of those three years, he owned one of the best Os in the league. I can't blame fans who are mad at him right now but honestly apart from the silly challenge, i can't see any other play i'd DEFINITELY change. The Colts marched up and down the field on those boys, like they could not be stopped. Execution was not as crisp.

Give that man a QB and some more talent. Indy, you have something SPECIAL at the coaching and GM positions.

I do think once we find the future his offense will take off. 

8 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

with the cap drop the team will be worse no way around it . colts have so many players to resign and only 35 million if rivers stays , hilton walker justin houston autry pascal mo muhammad  burton rhodes carrie mack harris  odum and nelson and leonard smith coming up with 35 million how do you keep the team together ?  the team will be worse will a older rivers and a harder schedule next year .  the colts because of goin 7-9 got 10 teams without a winning record to help our record  .  I just dont see it i think they need to do a mild rebuild to get back next year .

What will be interesting is do they decide to draft the QB and just start him right away due to the cap. This team is on the right path. So irs important not to screw this up for next year. 

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

You gotta take the points in the red zone in the first half and going for 2 late was mathmatically assenine.  I love frank but hes arrogant and foolish in key situations.  He has to step up his situational awareness.  90% hes fantastic unfortunately 10% is enough to end a season.

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I’d change it to “if” he learns he’ll get better. In regard to the aggressiveness, I’m not seeing learning.
With Rivers at QB, not taking the points on 4th and 4 was wrong today, just as it was wrong doing it three times last year vs Jags with JB at QB.
Until we get a QB who can make a play out of a busted play, passing up points in most situations will continue to be wrong. Today, it was critically wrong. 
Frank needs to learn that soon. 

Having said that, I understand the thinking behind going for two with the ball at the one.

Andy Reid was always criticized for his poor game management. It got much better when he got Mahomes. Go figure. 

I don't know. I can see why he did it. At 17-7 instead of 13-7, you have a 2 score game. If we execute better, we absolute make Reich look a genius. And that example you make with Reid is why. Even with the QB we have, it could have been sharper execution.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I do think once we find the future his offense will take off. 

And that's the scary thing Chloe. His offense is already a TOP offense in this league. He has been a HC for THREE years and he clearly has 'IT'. Give him a slightly better QB or heck a much better QB and I think we start talking HoF. Maybe I'm crazy.

ALL the great ones have had this argument about game management. Andy Reid? Yup, I remember his Philly days and I live in KC so i know what he was before Mahomes. Bill Belichick? Do we have to be reminded of 4th and 2 on a Colts forum?

I am sad we lost but most gave us no chance. I had us losing. We should be proud that we have Reich and Ballard. I'm telling you, this is a SB staff. No question about it to me.

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah because the FACTS are what they are. *shrugs

Shrug all you want. He has a slightly better record than Pagano, with a much, much superior team. Had Pagano had Ballard, our current OL, or current D........

Reich got canned in the only other play calling position he had for having the worst balance in the league, and bad play calling. 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I've been critical of him in 3-4 games this year for issues pretty clear cut. I've never called for his head. This one is hyper-head-scratcher. Not sure how anyone can defend with a straight, intellectually honest face.

I can understand a lot of the previous 4th down calls but today even I’d take the points on that first FG opportunity. 

The challenge was just bizarre. 

I actually thought the playcalling in itself was good today. 

All round, players too, there was a sense of jitters that made us fluff our chances. We really should have won today, the D played well enough. Which makes the Eberflus criticism egregious. 

I’m still onboard, and I really would love to see him get a tilt with a franchise QB but they don’t come along too often.

5 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

You gotta take the points in the red zone in the first half and going for 2 late was mathmatically assenine.  I love frank but hes arrogant and foolish in key situations.  He has to step up his situational awareness.  90% hes fantastic unfortunately 10% is enough to end a season.

Yep. Simply no excuse for not taking 3 in that situation, on the road, and in the playoffs. Anyone that says different is trying to kid themselves. I love him as a guy too. But I also like Pagano as a guy. 

1 hour ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

I agree all those other plays were bad, but as a HC in the NFL, you should not be making bad decisions like that on a consistent basis.  It's worse than failing to execute.

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-head-coach-frank-reich-analytics-supported-decision-to-go-for-it

he consistently goes with what the data shows is the best move. I mean, at some point we need to blame the execution, no?

He puts all the confidence in his offense; and that’s what the players want. They have to deliver, IMO.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Shrug all you want. He has a slightly better record than Pagano, with a much, much superior team. Had Pagano had Ballard, our current OL, or current D........

Reich got canned in the only other play calling position he had for having the worst balance in the league, and bad play calling. 

This is a little ridiculous.  Reich had Luck one season and has had 3 QB in 3 years.

5 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Disagree. Take the points? You're playing the best offense in the league! The hottest offense, etc etc. You have to be aggressive and clock 6s not 3s. You simply have to. As the HC, you've probably preached to your team that you're as good as them and you're going to kill them etc. Then when crunch time comes, you want to punk out and think they dont notice? I dunno. I agree with that call.

The 2 point call was sound math. He went for two later and got what he wanted anyway so at worst call it a wash.

He is an aggressive coach, i LOVE it. Listen, i remember the Dungy days very well 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

And the FACTS about his offense's numbers? Forget them right? They dont matter?

Much superior team? Except for that little issue about the most important position in sports. Yeah, he's barely better than Pagano LOL

4 minutes ago, TheLegend87 said:

Reich was 90% the reason the Colts lost that game.

Same game everyone had the Colts losing before it started?

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

And that's the scary thing Chloe. His offense is already a TOP offense in this league. He has been a HC for THREE years and he clearly has 'IT'. Give him a slightly better QB or heck a much better QB and I think we start talking HoF. Maybe I'm crazy.

ALL the great ones have had this argument about game management. Andy Reid? Yup, I remember his Philly days and I live in KC so i know what he was before Mahomes. Bill Belichick? Do we have to be reminded of 4th and 2 on a Colts forum?

I am sad we lost but most gave us no chance. I had us losing. We should be proud that we have Reich and Ballard. I'm telling you, this is a SB staff. No question about it to me.

Why not shoot for a top five offense. Yes I agree Reich needs to be better in certain situations but we also need some game breakers. Either Hilton doesn’t have that ability anymore or rivers just doesn’t target him enough. Our red zone needs some WR that can break things open. Campbell could make such a huge difference if he had been healthy.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Disagree. Take the points? You're playing the best offense in the league! The hottest offense, etc etc. You have to be aggressive and clock 6s not 3s. You simply have to. As the HC, you've probably preached to your team that you're as good as them and you're going to kill them etc. Then when crunch time comes, you want to punk out and think they dont notice? I dunno. I agree with that call.

The 2 point call was sound math. He went for two later and got what he wanted anyway so at worst call it a wash.

He is an aggressive coach, i LOVE it. Listen, i remember the Dungy days very well 

Take the 3 and kick the extra point colt win by 1.

Archived