Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Coaching Decisions Post-game Takes(Mega Merge)

EastStreet

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

I can understand a lot of the previous 4th down calls but today even I’d take the points on that first FG opportunity. 

The challenge was just bizarre. 

I actually thought the playcalling in itself was good today. 

All round, players too, there was a sense of jitters that made us fluff our chances. We really should have won today, the D played well enough. Which makes the Eberflus criticism egregious. 

I absolutely love some of the play calling between the 20s. I called for us to finally go to the Bigs, and we did that. I was sooooo happy. And we could have done it a lot more. Then we forgot about them in the RZ. I wanted more edge rushes, but only got a few. They were highly successful when we did. 

That said, using Hines on the goal line, wasn't smart, and was consistent with what Frank has done. Needing the first TO on 1st down was bad. The second TO/challenge was incredibly bad. Not taking 3 and going for 2 were both incredibly bad.

Just way too much obvious bad for me.

At the end of the day, I ask the O to score 21 or more, and the D to hold the opponent to 21 or less. Players IMO did enough. It was mostly the coaching that didn't.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a little ridiculous.  Reich had Luck one season and has had 3 QB in 3 years.

Reich had Ballard every year and more talent. Reich had Luck plus a great OL. Reich had JB one year, so did Pagano. Reich had Rivers, a HOF guy who is top 10 in most core stats this year, plus a great OL, plus a great D. 

What exactly is ridiculous? Specifically?

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why not shoot for a top five offense. Yes I agree Reich needs to be better in certain situations but we also need some game breakers. Either Hilton doesn’t have that ability anymore or rivers just doesn’t target him enough. Our red zone needs some WR that can break things open. Campbell could make such a huge difference if he had been healthy.

O was top 5 in 2018 right?

And you're absolutely right about playmakers. I think if Pittman steps up next year, and if Parris can stay healthy, we'd already be starting from a solid base. We need to upgrade at WR, and yes I think also TE.

The red zone this year, I am convinced it is a QB problem. When Reich had Luck, i think we were #1 in red zone offense. Even with Brissett (who i dont rate AT ALL), i think we were still a top red zone offense. 

7 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Take the 3 and kick the extra point colt win by 1.

Give us Tyler Bass and the Colts win by 3 probably LOL.

I won't argue those decisions because I think we won't agree. Lets all be ready for next season. This was a heckuva season. I am satisfied.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Give us Tyler Bass and the Colts win by 3 probably LOL.

I won't argue those decisions because I think we won't agree. Lets all be ready for next season. This was a heckuva season. I am satisfied.

I'm dying of stage 4 cancer.  Enjoy next year, I probably wont be here to debate fieldgoals.

7 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

And the FACTS about his offense's numbers? Forget them right? They dont matter?

Much superior team? Except for that little issue about the most important position in sports. Yeah, he's barely better than Pagano LOL

Same game everyone had the Colts losing before it started?

You ignore context and stats, and rely on one area. 

You do realize most are laughing when you compare Reich to Reid, and Reich's years to Manning. Maybe not. 

What matters most today, Pagano was at least 3-3 in the playoffs with far less overall talent. Reich is 1-2. Pagano won the AFCS once every 3 years (twice), Frank 0 for 3. 

11 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Take the 3 and kick the extra point colt win by 1.

No, it's a tie. If Colts kick the extra point the first time, they also kick it the 2nd time (total of 2 points). The missed two point try was washed out by the made two point try later (still 2 points). 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I absolutely love some of the play calling between the 20s. I called for us to finally go to the Bigs, and we did that. I was sooooo happy. And we could have done it a lot more. Then we forgot about them in the RZ. I wanted more edge rushes, but only got a few. They were highly successful when we did. 

That said, using Hines on the goal line, wasn't smart, and was consistent with what Frank has done. Needing the first TO on 1st down was bad. The second TO/challenge was incredibly bad. Not taking 3 and going for 2 were both incredibly bad.

Just way too much obvious bad for me.

At the end of the day, I ask the O to score 21 or more, and the D to hold the opponent to 21 or less. Players IMO did enough. It was mostly the coaching that didn't.

On the whole I’ve found the O this year a bit of an enigma, but there are some strong foundations to build on. 

TE is a blatant need for me. Also if Campbell isn’t good to go, then we need that guy at WR as I think combining that with Hines opens up lots of possibilities. TY has started to creak, but I’d have him back certainly and see what we could do out the slot with him.

Mostly let’s see who is under centre. 

5 minutes ago, coltsva said:

No, it's a tie. If Colts kick the extra point the first time, they also kick it the 2nd time (total of 2 points). The missed two point try was washed out by the made two point try later (still 2 points). 

Good call.  Math after beer isnt my strong suit.  But my inadequacy aside wed still have forced an overtime......so I'll stand by my statement and my 4th grade maths.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You do realize most are laughing when you compare Reich to Reid, and Reich's years to Manning. Maybe not. 

What matters most today, Pagano was at least 3-3 in the playoffs with far less overall talent. Reich is 1-2. Pagano won the AFCS once every 3 years (twice), Frank 0 for 3. 

You ignore facts and rely on feelings and 'context'. The facts show what they show. And the stats back the facts.

Far less overall talent. Again, conveniently ignore or leave out that caveat about the most important position in sports. Pagano had a QB who could have been a HoF and did ZERO with him. Didnt elevate him, and contributed to driving the kid out of the league. But yes, tell me how much better he was then Reich. 

And yes I compare this to the Manning years because the FACTS are what they are. And my memory isnt yet so bad that i dont remember what people used to say about Peyton or Dungy ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

I believe unwaveringly that if Luck had Reich and Ballard, he'd have won a SB. ZERO doubting that for me.

It is what it is. I disagree wholly with you.

Some real head scratchers.  Penalty on the PAT so then we can go for 2 on the 1 yard line.  Moving us 1 yard closer made him decide we should go for 2 because being 1 yard closer makes a big difference.  Then we line up in shotgun!!!  So stupid.  

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

On the whole I’ve found the O this year a bit of an enigma, but there are some strong foundations to build on. 

Totally an enigma for me too. The first read plays, and first down plays were huge head scratchers. Scripted plays were great though.

TE is a blatant need for me.

I disagree here. We just saw 130+ TE yards when play calling prioritized TEs. We saw MAC get off early this year when play-called to earlier this year. Doyle has been pretty reliable as always all year when tossed to. Burton, when used appropriately has been good. I'm not a huge Burton fan, but in his niche, I like it. MAC has been totally underutilized except for a few games. He made several huge contested catches today.

Also if Campbell isn’t good to go, then we need that guy at WR as I think combining that with Hines opens up lots of possibilities. TY has started to creak, but I’d have him back certainly and see what we could do out the slot with him.

I agree 1000% here. If Campbell can't go, they need to look in the 2nd or 3rd round. Should be a strong WR class this year, and lots of Z/slot guys. I want TY back, but want him at slot. Even if he's creaking, he still runs great routes, and could abuse folks in the slot. If he's willing to go over the middle, I'd love to keep him.

Mostly let’s see who is under centre. 

Zillion dollar question my friend. 

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Again Reich had one chance with luck. If he hadn’t retired we might have a SB. This is not fair.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Totally an enigma for me too. The first read plays, and first down plays were huge head scratchers. Scripted plays were great though.

I disagree here. We just saw 130+ TE yards when play calling prioritized TEs. We saw MAC get off early this year when play-called to earlier this year. Doyle has been pretty reliable as always all year when tossed to. Burton, when used appropriately has been good. I'm not a huge Burton fan, but in his niche, I like it. MAC has been totally underutilized except for a few games. He made several huge contested catches today.

I agree 1000% here. If Campbell can't go, they need to look in the 2nd or 3rd round. Should be a strong WR class this year, and lots of Z/slot guys. I want TY back, but want him at slot. Even if he's creaking, he still runs great routes, and could abuse folks in the slot. If he's willing to go over the middle, I'd love to keep him.

Zillion dollar question my friend. 

Let me rephrase slightly, I’d love to see what Reich could do with an upgrade at TE. Ertz isn’t top tier, but still probably better than we’ve had. MAC is another enigma, looks like he could be a world beater at times, but isn’t utilised.

TY’s route running is something that gives me confidence... Harrison>Wayne>Hilton>Pittman(?)

It’s a crazy run of continuity in terms of ‘passing the torch’. All turned into excellent route runners. 

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

You serious? If so, truly sorry to hear that. Cancer is a MF

Yea it's savage.  I was hoping for a miracle year (football wise I know my situation) .  2020 colts football was pretty much all I could look forward to.  It's been a 3 year battle and I desperately wanted to watch this season.  I know how stupid that sounds but it is what it is. 

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

You ignore facts and rely on feelings and 'context'. The facts show what they show. And the stats back the facts.

Far less overall talent. Again, conveniently ignore or leave out that caveat about the most important position in sports. Pagano had a QB who could have been a HoF and did ZERO with him. Didnt elevate him, and contributed to driving the kid out of the league. But yes, tell me how much better he was then Reich. 

And yes I compare this to the Manning years because the FACTS are what they are. And my memory isnt yet so bad that i dont remember what people used to say about Peyton or Dungy ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

I believe unwaveringly that if Luck had Reich and Ballard, he'd have won a SB. ZERO doubting that for me.

It is what it is. I disagree wholly with you.

Not ignoring stats at all. I do look at ALL the facts though. 

simple Y or N questions...

1. does Reich have a far superior GM?
  2. does Reich have a far superior OL
  3. does Reich have a far superior D
  4. does Reich have far superior overall team talent?
  5. do Reich and Pagano have similar regular season records
  6. does Pagano have a better post season record
  7. did Reich have a superior running game to rely on?
  8. did Reich get fired from SD for having the worst balance in the league and bad play calling
  9. did Reich choose to toss it all over the yard in game one, with a new QB, with no preseason, with a Covid camp,,,, against one of the worst rush Ds in the league.
  10. did Reich choose last year to not give his backup QB (Hoyer) any reps during the week, toss it all over the yard, vs a team with a horrible run D?
  11. Did someone hold a potato to Reich's head and make him go for it on 4-4, on the road, in the playoffs, in a close game?
  12. Did someone hold a celery stick to Reich's throat and make him go for 2 instead of making it a one score game?
  13. Did someone squeeze Reich's little pinky toe and force him to use Hines up the gut on the goal line instead of the hottest RB in the league.
  14. Did someone dare Reich to call a challenge on a play any 90 year old with bottle bottom glasses knew was pretty clear...

I can go on.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

The Colts rang up almost 500 yards of offense against a SUPER buffalo team. He made some in-game errors but he learns and will get better. 

Reminds me of how Eagles and even Chiefs fans used to say similar things about Andy Reid. Sure he makes some weird calls but he is absolutely who you want behind the wheels.

After three years of making the same mistakes you feel he is learning and will get better, He is our Head Coach, not a young player learning the game. You would think the Head Coach of the team would have gone thru the learning process after 3 years and not make really foolish mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Yea it's savage.  I was hoping for a miracle year (football wise I know my situation) .  2020 colts football was pretty much all I could look forward to.  It's been a 3 year battle and I desperately wanted to watch this season.  I know how stupid that sounds but it is what it is. 

Wish I could give you some strength. So much context. Stay up Sumo, all prayers and energy and vibes sent your way.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

8. did Reich get fired from SD for having the worst balance in the league and bad play calling
  9. did Reich choose to toss it all over the yard in game one, with a new QB, with no preseason, with a Covid camp,,,, against one of the worst rush Ds in the league.
  10. did Reich choose last year to not give his backup QB (Hoyer) any reps during the week, toss it all over the yard, vs a team with a horrible run D?
  11. Did someone hold a potato to Reich's head and make him go for it on 4-4, on the road, in the playoffs, in a close game?
  12. Did someone hold a celery stick to Reich's throat and make him go for 2 instead of making it a one score game?
  13. Did someone squeeze Reich's little pinky toe and force him to use Hines up the gut on the goal line instead of the hottest RB in the league.
  14. Did someone dare Reich to call a challenge on a play any 90 year old with bottle bottom glasses knew was pretty clear...

I can go on.

I think you are underselling the value of Andrew Luck. 

Rivers is nowhere near the talent Luck was, not even prime Rivers. 

Also Brisett went 4-12 with pags, and 7-9 with reich. 

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Wish I could give you some strength. So much context. Stay up Sumo, all prayers and energy and vibes sent your way.

Ive learned that strength is always found at the bottom.  I live on the edge of running out of it and finding a tiny bit more.  It's a weird line on which to balance but I'm grateful it's at least tenuous footing as opposed to a cliff.  Thanks for the support, honestly it means the world to me.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I can go on.

Did Reich defend Vinny when he cost us three games?

18 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

God bless you! 

6 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think you are underselling the value of Andrew Luck. 

Rivers is nowhere near the talent Luck was, not even prime Rivers. 

Also Brisett went 4-12 with pags, and 7-9 with reich. 

A few things.....

• Brissett had the best OL in the league in 2019.
  • Brissett had the 7th WORST OL in the league in 2017
  • Brissett had the 7th best rushing game in 2019
  • Brissett had the 22nd best rushing game in 2017
  • Brissett had the 16th best D in 2019
  • Brissett had the 30th ranked D in 2017

Please tell me you see the difference.... And also, if you look at JB's core stats both years, not a big difference in individual play.

I like Luck better than Rivers, but Rivers core stats this year speak for themselves. 

7 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Did Reich defend Vinny when he cost us three games?

Reich always says the right things at pressers. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A few things.....

• Brissett had the best OL in the league in 2019.
  • Brissett had the 7th WORST OL in the league in 2017
  • Brissett had the 7th best rushing game in 2019
  • Brissett had the 22nd best rushing game in 2017
  • Brissett had the 16th best D in 2019
  • Brissett had the 30th ranked D in 2017

Please tell me you see the difference.... And also, if you look at JB's core stats both years, not a big difference in individual play.

I like Luck better than Rivers, but Rivers core stats this year speak for themselves. 

Reich always says the right things at pressers. 

You are comparing apples to oranges. Players like Luck and Watson carry franchises. Watson just happens to have had a GM worse than grigs. Never thought that was possible. 

Also to clarify I think paganos failures had more to do with grigs than anything. Hard to win when your GM is drafting for the wrong scheme. 

14 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Ive learned that strength is always found at the bottom.  I live on the edge of running out of it and finding a tiny bit more.  It's a weird line on which to balance but I'm grateful it's at least tenuous footing as opposed to a cliff.  Thanks for the support, honestly it means the world to me.

i dont know what to say to this even though i feel like i want to say something. got me in the feels. all the best to you. 

In terms of flow, play calling rhythm etc., the best the offense looked all season was early on in game 1 vs. Jax.  We missed Mack and Campbell, no doubt.  In 2020, game 1 was the only time the offense somewhat felt like it did with Luck in 2018.

58 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

I'm dying of stage 4 cancer.  Enjoy next year, I probably wont be here to debate fieldgoals.

I really hope you are friend.

20 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Damn Sumo I’m so sorry to hear this man, really slaps me and hopefully everyone else back into reality, football is just a game, win some, lose some, but what you’re going through is no joke. Really wish they could have pulled it off today for you. God I hate Cancer. God bless you my Colts brother.

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

I thought Reich in general prepared and called the right game plan on offense. We were balancing the run and the pass nicely and moving the ball up the field. We had 50 yards more in total offense than the outstanding Bills offense.

Its situationally, Reich made some costly errors. The playcalling on the final drive before half time and the challenge were definitely costly.

I dunno though, I don't feel comfortable putting all the blame on Reich. It was also players, just didn't execute the plays at crucial stages, Kemoko offsides, Blankenship miss, Rivers overthrow on 4th and goal, Taylor drop on 3rd down, etc. It was a true team loss imo.

This is the playoffs, the margins are tight.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

We have a lot of capable players and a few weaknesses to exploit.

The TEAM Lost the game. That is it. 

Now i can look forward to being better next year. 

In 3 years, Reich owns two of the top 8 best scoring offensive seasons in the Colts ENTIRE history. That includes the Mannings years.

Sorry, I think it's a fair comp.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

I can understand a lot of the previous 4th down calls but today even I’d take the points on that first FG opportunity. 

The challenge was just bizarre. 

I actually thought the playcalling in itself was good today. 

All round, players too, there was a sense of jitters that made us fluff our chances. We really should have won today, the D played well enough. Which makes the Eberflus criticism egregious. 

I’m still onboard, and I really would love to see him get a tilt with a franchise QB but they don’t come along too often.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-head-coach-frank-reich-analytics-supported-decision-to-go-for-it

he consistently goes with what the data shows is the best move. I mean, at some point we need to blame the execution, no?

He puts all the confidence in his offense; and that’s what the players want. They have to deliver, IMO.

Disagree. Take the points? You're playing the best offense in the league! The hottest offense, etc etc. You have to be aggressive and clock 6s not 3s. You simply have to. As the HC, you've probably preached to your team that you're as good as them and you're going to kill them etc. Then when crunch time comes, you want to punk out and think they dont notice? I dunno. I agree with that call.

The 2 point call was sound math. He went for two later and got what he wanted anyway so at worst call it a wash.

He is an aggressive coach, i LOVE it. Listen, i remember the Dungy days very well 

Thanks to all of you. Great posting.

If you miss a basket at the beginning of the game, make several during the game, and miss one as the clock runs out....to blame the last miss is emotional, biased, and removed from reality. Every play call, both good and bad contribute to a win or loss. Every catch or drop contribute to a win or loss, every FG make or miss.........etc, etc, etc.

The Colts were 1 TD short of tying the second most points in Colt history this season. With all the folks wanting to move on from Frank and Phillip,.....I see a whole pile of lack of perspective.

For me? I got nothing but praise. Thanks Frank for taking yet another QB, and devising your play calling to maximize the players you had minus the skill injuries. Masterful job. Thanks Phillip for coming to Indy, moving your family, and playing your * off. I hope you want to give in another year, because frankly, you deserve it. 

2 minutes ago, jeepnkal said:

i dont know what to say to this even though i feel like i want to say something. got me in the feels. all the best to you. 

Thank you.  It's all good.  I always say better people than me have gone through worse.  I have the privilege of complaining about playoff football.  Lol in spite of everything how soft is my life?

1 minute ago, HOZER said:

Damn Sumo I’m so sorry to hear this man, really slaps me and hopefully everyone else back into reality, football is just a game, win some, lose some, but what you’re going through is no joke. Really wish they could have pulled it off today for you. God I hate Cancer. God bless you my Colts brother.

True enough but as bad as it gets I'm still blessed, today I wish frank would just take the points.  God bless you too.  Thanks

40 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

After three years of making the same mistakes you feel he is learning and will get better, He is our Head Coach, not a young player learning the game. You would think the Head Coach of the team would have gone thru the learning process after 3 years and not make really foolish mistakes. 

Look around the league. Point me to that HC who doesn't have mistakes. I'll wait.

Archived