Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)


chad72

Recommended Posts

I would say if you have a thread on the message boards that is 25+ pages and growing and has over 1,000 replies there is something legitimate about the disappointing performance of a certain player no names mentioned but wears number 4. No matter how great he was he is clearly past his prime and at this point in his career his number are below average at best. Now, do we keep a below average kicker and hope to win the Super Bowl which I think we all agree is the goal....someone has to make a tough decision. I don't think it matters if you're a 55 year fan such as myself or a newbie we have to have a kicker that makes his kicks that's the bottom line. Have a nice day, this game made me sick to my stomach!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree Vinateri is not what he use to b.  However,u would rather cut  guy and replace him with somebody on the streets? They r not signed for a reason.  Trust me this is Vinnys last year.  We just have to move along.

So we don't have a back up for Vinny? I find that hard to believe. So Vinny breaks his leg in the middle of a game. Are you saying we don't kick FG or EP the rest of the game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jeff Hilton said:

I would say if you have a thread on the message boards that is 25+ pages and growing and has over 1,000 replies there is something legitimate about the disappointing performance of a certain player no names mentioned but wears number 4. No matter how great he was he is clearly past his prime and at this point in his career his number are below average at best. Now, do we keep a below average kicker and hope to win the Super Bowl which I think we all agree is the goal....someone has to make a tough decision. I don't think it matters if you're a 55 year fan such as myself or a newbie we have to have a kicker that makes his kicks that's the bottom line. Have a nice day, this game made me sick to my stomach!

To be fair I accounted for at least 10% of this.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

They should have he cost us the game yet again.

He is done the colts just aren't smart enough to admit it.

Yeah.  Im sure you're smarter than the brain trust on 56th street.    If they used your opinions on things we would be 0-16 perpetually

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Yeah.  Im sure you're smarter than the brain trust on 56th street.    If they used your opinions on things we would be 0-16 perpetually

Haha.. I started to respond to him 3 different times, and deleted all.  Why bother?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It never falls on one player when we lose.  But kickers are only asked to do one thing.  Kick accurately.   They don't risk their careers on the field like the other players.  They are supposed to kick PATs and FG's.  That's it.  If they can't do it consistently they are replaced.  Five missed PATs and Five missed FG's at the half way point is too much.  This is more on Ballard and Reich.  Their loyalty can only go so far.  There is something wrong when everyone is holding their breath and praying every time he approaches a kick.  It's not supposed to be that way.  That says a lot about how he is currently viewed.  His play is starting to remind me of the QB's at the end of their career who refuse to see the writing on the wall and play themselves into embarrassing performances at the end.  He's doing the same thing now.  It's a shame really and not fair to the players who are putting themselves in harms way on every play they are in.  Time for Vinny to call it a career himself or if need be Ballard needs to do it.  No one plays forever.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I love Vinny and everything he has done for the Colts and the community.  Ballard has said many times "no ones job is safe"  I honestly think we might have seen his last kick.  I see him retiring this week.

This will not happen... Many posters will go to HQ and plead to keep Vinny. They can't comprehend that he would  "retire". He has 2 more games to cost this team.

 

I will be vilified but like I said before... Vinny is NOT cutting it anymore. Ballard and many on this board want this guy to go out as badly as possible. Hopefully management can save Vinny from his self. This is SAD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Jeff Hilton said:

I would say if you have a thread on the message boards that is 25+ pages and growing and has over 1,000 replies there is something legitimate about the disappointing performance of a certain player no names mentioned but wears number 4. No matter how great he was he is clearly past his prime and at this point in his career his number are below average at best. Now, do we keep a below average kicker and hope to win the Super Bowl which I think we all agree is the goal....someone has to make a tough decision. I don't think it matters if you're a 55 year fan such as myself or a newbie we have to have a kicker that makes his kicks that's the bottom line. Have a nice day, this game made me sick to my stomach!

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if Ballard and co start making decisions based on this forum we're all doomed.  Guarantee they've evaluated the situation multiple times and will again this week.  They'll only make a move if it's a net positive.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It never falls on one player when we lose.  But kickers are only asked to do one thing.  Kick accurately.   They don't risk their careers on the field like the other players.  They are supposed to kick PATs and FG's.  That's it.  If they can't do it consistently they are replaced.  Five missed PATs and Five missed FG's at the half way point is too much.  This is more on Ballard and Reich.  Their loyalty can only go so far.  There is something wrong when everyone is holding their breath and praying every time he approaches a kick.  It's not supposed to be that way.  That says a lot about how he is currently viewed.  His play is starting to remind me of the QB's at the end of their career who refuse to see the writing on the wall and play themselves into embarrassing performances at the end.  He's doing the same thing now.  It's a shame really and not fair to the players who are putting themselves in harms way on every play they are in.  Time for Vinny to call it a career himself or if need be Ballard needs to do it.  No one plays forever.  

I tried to argue this point but people here believe what they want to. I love the SHOE more than a player. No man is greater than the team. Or is Ballard feeding us nonsense about team?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2019 at 6:06 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Name a kicker besides Justin Tucker that is "up to snuff".

 

Name the other kickers that can be credited with winning 5 games for their team this year.

 

Now name the kickers that have lost their team at least one game.

How many games does Vinny have to lose to convince you the man is Crapping on his legacy? I don't want to remember AV like this. He is missing kicks BADLY!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barrdaddy said:

I mean no disrespect to Vinatieri, but it's time to move on. If Ballard and Reich are serious about wanting this team to compete they need to pull the trigger and sign a new kicker. Vinatieri has shown 10 times this season that he is no longer consistent enough to be a starting kicker. Yes he is the GOAT but all great things come to an end at some point. He is hurting this team more than he is helping them. 

Kickers are hard to find mid season. Just ask the Patriots who have gone thru 4 this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Introspect said:

How many games does Vinny have to lose to convince you the man is Crapping on his legacy? I don't want to remember AV like this. He is missing kicks BADLY!

Na...hes a hall of famer..cant cut him even if he's on a 10 missed xps  and 10 missed field goal season:scoregood:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2019 at 6:20 PM, John Waylon said:

You know, he wasn’t the only one out there today. 

 

Some pretty ugly defense plenty of times on our end out there today as well... if we’re gonna hand out blame Adam gets 70% at best. The defense takes the other 30. 

We all understand that.....well 70% of us at best do.  The bottom line though ,fair or not, the fg kickers job, when given the opportunity like Adam was today is to erase all that ugliness and get the win.

 

He did it last week, and blew it today.  He is the very definition of inconsistent lately.

 

Spread the blame all around, agreed, plenty deserve some. Adam still needs to perform in the clutch.  After all the nonsense if he hits that kick the W comes home, and he's special teams player of the week.

 

When he doesn't hes gonna get the majority of the criticism, regardless of the previous 58 minutes.  We were in position to win that game at that time, and he blew it.  Like it or not, fair or not, that's kind of the reality.  All the other mistakes had been overcome, in a position to win, his error cost the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I have seen too much if this hanging on to players too long. Wasting a roster spot on Bob Sanders to play 2 or 3 games a year instead of a fullback to score a TD when its 1 and goal at the 4 but have to kick a FG instead, and lose the game by 2 points. Playing cover 2 and allowing a team to march down the field and win the game with a FG as time expires. Dumb butt penalties that extend drives. Choking kickers. I've had enough. You sound like you should be a Browns fan

Bob Sanders was not a waste of a roster spot. He was a huge part of our Championship run in 2006

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, il vecchio said:

If any other player had cost us two games this season they'd be gone tomorrow.

3 games and counting....

Over and under is 5 for Adam V... It will end when he stumbles forward on his face while attempting a game winner..... :thmdown:

 

Guess Ballard wants the rep of letting players live on their past deeds and still get preferential treatment. This has to be hurting the locker room, Professional athletes know who has it and who doesn't. This is setting a bad standard for the SHOE!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve held my tongue for a bit now because there was a lot going on. 
 

Im not going to gloat. This, however was precisely what I was saying for the past week. That an inconsistent kicker is a liability. We can argue today’s game (laces being out, XP being blocked), but neither of those were kicks like Adams been showing us for years. I know there have been kicks where the laces were in that have gone in so that doesn’t fully explain it. He duffed his foot into the ground. That’s poor form. A pro like Adam knows it.

 

Again, when you don’t know which Adam is gonna show up today, he becomes a liability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, fahlman said:

Even the ones he is making are wobbly near misses. He's done.

Yup, I’m not saying he’s not..it would be a hard argument to make. I’m just saying i don’t think it’s all him. The block wasn’t on him. The last miss want a perfect snap and hold. Same last week according to our ex punter. I’m just saying I think the whole unit has pretty well stunk it up this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Yup, I’m not saying he’s not..it would be a hard argument to make. I’m just saying i don’t think it’s all him. The block wasn’t on him. The last miss want a perfect snap and hold. Same last week according to our ex punter. I’m just saying I think the whole unit has pretty well stunk it up this year.

How was the blocked xp not on him? It was a line drive that almost hit the lineman in the head!

And even a perfect snap and hold will duck hook when you chunk the ground well behind the ball.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Yup, I’m not saying he’s not..it would be a hard argument to make. I’m just saying i don’t think it’s all him. The block wasn’t on him. The last miss want a perfect snap and hold. Same last week according to our ex punter. I’m just saying I think the whole unit has pretty well stunk it up this year.

The block was the result of a low kick.  Now I did hear the sideline guy said Adam might have done that to try keep it out of the swirling winds.  The line, especially Glow, have had an issue getting guys arms down all season.  It’s shown up mostly in the passing game but it’s been an issue on kicks too.

 

i wonder if the Colts give Matt Overton a call this week, he was the long snapper before and pretty good.  He was released by the Jags so he’s out there and we know he knows working with Adam.

 

Rigo isn’t going anywhere but can probably use more practice on holding.

 

with that said Adam is still an issue.  The last snap wasn’t good but Adam also mistimed his kick and dug into the ground.  He did the samething vs Miami last year.  That’s something NFL level kickers just don’t do let alone doing it twice in a calendar year.  He’s been having issues since really the last quarter of last season.  Not all of that is the kicking operation.  The question is is someone better available?  That’s something we as fans don’t know but I hope the Colts front office explores that this week.  If one isn’t then we have to live with Adam until the end of the season.  This maybe a problem that can’t be fixed this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to make excuses for Adam V, but Pittsburgh is a notorious tough place to kick in. I think it’s time to move on from him, but maybe wait until next year, as there doesn’t seem to be many good kickers on the street. It’s a tough situation.  Just look at what the Bears have been through. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...