Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

19 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

Vinny let everyone down regardless of how this ends. 

I’ve been saying we should get rid of Vinny since even before the KC debacle.  Today’s debacle only solidifies that opinion.

But I wouldn’t say that he “let everyone down.”  He just shouldn’t be out there anymore.  It’s obvious and has been for a while.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

I can’t say enough about what Vinny means to this organization. However, why is he still playing? It was obvious last year that he should have seriously considered hanging his cleats up. What he did (actually didn’t) do today was upsetting. Not just to me as a fan, but to his team. The team has been through a lot this month and they still showed true grit and have stayed in this game the entire way. Vinny let everyone down regardless of how this ends. 

He cost us this game with those missed kicks time to move on but I know the colts wont move on because they will just say oh he had a bad day.

• Like 3

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

i can't help but think its one of those cases where a hall of fame player, grade A guy just stays in the game too long

Fans can afford to be sentimental.  GMs can’t.  It was a mistake to keep Vinny going into last season when we had our hands on a good up and comer in Badgley.

Now we’re probably stuck with AV for the rest of the season.  It’s Ballard’s only major personnel mistake, IMO.  And it lost us the game today.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

This loss is on him plain and simple.

A lot of it.   Some of it on the run defense in the first half.   

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The extra point took off to the right weirdly after it was going to split the upright.  The long FG was a miss, and that happens.

The 29 YD miss is the one that would have me concerned.

44 yard fg isn't a long fg

• Like 1

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

He cost us this game with those missed kicks time to move on but I know the colts wont move on because they will just say oh he had a bad day.

and that's not particularly unreasonable.

We put ourselves in position to win and didn't quite put it away.  That happens with young teams.  I saw a lot of good signs but the mixture hasn't fully congealed.  That's to be expected.  Take it on the chin and try to win the next one

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Vinny hits all those kicks and we win. Seems that Chargers always manage to beat us, even with backups. 

He hits the extra point we win.  Nevermind the fieldgoals.....good effort by the offense and that int was incredible.  Still an L tho.

• Confused 1

This defense is still trash.

Disagree. The pass rush today was better than in some time. Lot of young promising players. Our highly paid corners looked bad today... Our tackling was bad today. Penalties in bad situations and giving up big plays is what made this defense look bad. This defense played well enough to win until overtime... and they were completely gassed. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And if the Chargers punt returner doesn't drop the ball, we lose even worse.

Other than a great play by Hooker on a poor throw by Rivers, the Colts defense never really stopped the Chargers.

You can't say what would have happened on that drive if they kept it. We can say that he left seven points off the board for us.

Wow. All of you doomsday folks talking about how he should of retired before LAST season???????

I must have missed that thread?

Yeah we could have won this game had he made his kicks, but, it is a team game and a kickers mistakes are amplified by nature whereas a missed tackle/assignment isn't as noticeable.

Get a grip and step away from the cliff! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So uncharacteristic of him. He’s the reason we cannot catch up. Hope it comes to a game winning kick vs Chargers and he makes it

This is why I said kickers kick in the preseason at least the first half he comes in without any game competition at all his miscues and us getting them a first down after a field goal cost us dearly. Brissett was not the problem it was stupid and just bad end just bad plays

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Disagree. The pass rush today was better than in some time. Lot of young promising players. Our highly paid corners looked bad today... Our tackling was bad today. Penalties in bad situations and giving up big plays is what made this defense look bad. This defense played well enough to win until overtime... and they were completely gassed. 

Ya but the tackling was trash and the pass defense at times was total trach too many easy completions.

• Like 1

Ya but the tackling was trash and the pass defense at times was total trach too many easy completions.

And that was a great deal on those corners am I correct? The bad tackling I saw was largely on the corners. We had some backers overplaying runs up the gut and got gashed. But the big plays were on the corners. We got to get better there... 

Vinny's misses did really hurt, but there's always more to a loss than just one play or player.  Imagine the narrative if the touchdown pass to Ebron that didn't count ended up being in bounds and he maintained possession the whole time.  Would people still be demanding he retire or be cut if the Colts won today?

I think this is an over-reaction right now.  Everyone is prone to bad games here and there.  Vinny still kicked above his career FG% last year. In fact, the last time he had a season where he kicked below his career FG% was 2012.  He is old, but let's not let one bad game tell us that his career is over.  Let's see how he does in the next couple of games first.

• Thanks 1