Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

29 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

He absoultely let everyone down today. He lost this game single-handily....IMHO. 

So the penalty for hitting the center had no effect on the game?  How about Houston jumping off sides?  How about Ebron dropping a td pass?  Here didn't lose the game single handed.   He did have a bad game though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Middle of the field defense has to be better. 

Vinny has to be better. Today was inexcusable.

The Titans game will be interesting. 

Running pretty well up the middle and no pass rush from the middle.

Hunt, Autry, Lewis, and Stewart are not a playoff caliber DT package.  We shall see how the season goes.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

Don’t forget that we let Peyton Manning go.  He didn’t retire then.

The fact that he’s the GOAT has clouded everybody’s thinking — including, apparently, Irsay, Ballard, and Reich.

That was in the off season,   not after week 1. He was also coming off of spinal surgery.  Terrible analogy

AV misses kicks sometimes. A particularly ugly game early in the season is kind of common. He usually bounces back and makes like 30 in a row. 

One of these days, there will be no bounce back. I hope that's not this time, but at 46 years old, I wouldn't be surprised. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Our DL middle left much to be desired, it was our biggest concern going in. I don’t think we played good QBs last year that we could place extra defenders by the box and this resulted in a stellar run D stat last year.

This year is going to be different.

Thanks for also bringing up the DTs. 

Many were questioning whether Hunt, Autry, Lewis, and Stewart were a playoff caliber DT package, and we shall see how that plays out during the season.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

That was in the off season,   not after week 1. He was also coming off of spinal surgery.  Terrible analogy

But your reasoning for him not being cut is that “he’s the GOAT.”

And besides, we’ve passed up not one but two chances to move on from Vinatieri during the past two off-seasons.  Why?  Because he’s the GOAT!

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

But your reasoning for him not being cut is that “he’s the GOAT.”

And besides, we’ve passed up not one but two chances to move on from Vinatieri during the past two off-seasons.  Why?  Because he’s the GOAT!

That's right.   I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss another kick this year.   They should have let him kick in the preseason.   We will see.   If he has another game like this,  they will bring in some kickers

6 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Sad thing is we had his replacement on the roster in preseason.  Why did we sit Vinny?  We would have confirmed his present condition then and let him retire with dignity.

Perhaps. But again, can’t change the past. So again, who do we sign tonight if we cut him?

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's right.   I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't miss another kick this year.   They should have let him kick in the preseason.   We will see.   If he has another game like this,  they will bring in some kickers

My point is that it’s stupid to retain any player who obviously isn’t the best option anymore, just because they’re the GOAT.

What they’ve done in the past has nothing to do with how effective they are today.

And it’s been obvious for a while that Vinny isn’t a very good kicker anymore.  It happens to everybody at some point.

They should’ve let him go a year ago.

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

My point is that it’s stupid to retain any player who obviously isn’t the best option anymore, just because they’re the GOAT.

What they’ve done in the past has nothing to do with how effective they are today.

And it’s been obvious for a while that Vinny isn’t a very good kicker anymore.  It happens to everybody at some point.

They should’ve let him go a year ago.

He was 23 of 27 last year.   

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No he was a healthy scratch. I think they wanted more speed off the ends. We could of used him.

There is a fine line between a "healthy scratch" and not being good enough.

The speed off of the ends actually made some plays including pressure.  We did nothing at DT, since we don't really have any good ones. 

But for the thread to blame this loss on Vinny is absurd, although he obviously had a bad game.  The D simply did not play well at all, outside of one play.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The speed off of the ends actually made some plays including pressure.  We did nothing at DT, since we don't really have any good ones. 

But for the thread to blame this loss on Vinny is absurd, although he obviously had a bad game.  The D simply did not play well at all, outside of one play.

So the sacks weren't good plays?

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It’s not absurd. We left 4 easy points on the field. I’ll give him the 46 yarder as that’s a comparatively tough kick. The other two, relatively automatic for most kickers.

31 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

It was 7 points. 7 POINTS!!! That is unforgivable for a professional kicker of his stature in 1 game. It was his loss today. He lost that game. You can forgive s missed PAT. You can forgive a missed FG. There is no forgiveness for 2 missed FG and a missed PAT in the same game. It's time for him to be done.

Did you also want to cut Peyton Manning when he threw 6 picks against the Chargers? Bad games happen.  These guys are human.  If he has multiple bad games, then maybe it's time for him to retire or for the Colts to move on.  But one bad game doesn't mean he's done.  I'm not saying he's still elite.  I'm just saying it's too early to say he's done.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So the penalty for hitting the center had no effect on the game?  How about Houston jumping off sides?  How about Ebron dropping a td pass?  Here didn't lose the game single handed.   He did have a bad game though

I still don't understand a catch or a drop in the NFL. Don't care what they said it was a catch in my book.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Did you also want to cut Peyton Manning when he threw 6 picks against the Chargers? Bad games happen.  These guys are human.  If he has multiple bad games, then maybe it's time for him to retire or for the Colts to move on.  But one bad game doesn't mean he's done.  I'm not saying he's still elite.  I'm just saying it's too early to say he's done.

Too early?  He’s 46!

He’d never have missed those kicks 10 years ago and everybody knows it.

And combine it with his misses in the KC game.

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Running pretty well up the middle and no pass rush from the middle.

Hunt, Autry, Lewis, and Stewart are not a playoff caliber DT package.  We shall see how the season goes.

TBH, after all the talk of Autry, I really expected a DOMINANT showing. 

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He was 23 of 27 last year.   

Last year doesn't win games this year. With Luck sticking it to the team 2 weeks before the season starts, the rest of the team needs to step up. Did Vinni? Is that what is going to inspire rookie players. Or is this just the result of the franchise qb saying too bad so sad Im done and best wishes

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes. Those penalties are intangible and you can’t say how they would have changed the game. What we can say is that he simply didn’t do his job. He cost the game. Period. I would call a missed FG a bad day. Two FG and an XP? He failed everyone. 

2 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

Yes. Those penalties are intangible and you can’t say how they would have changed the game. What we can say is that he simply didn’t do his job. He cost the game. Period. I would call a missed FG a bad day. Two FG and an XP? He failed everyone. 

If not for the penalty on the FG by the chargers,  they get 3 points instead of seven.   That's not intangible ( not the right word for the situation)  it was a direct result of 4 extra points

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Then any missed FG in any game where a team loses by less points than the amount of FG missed, like 2 pts sometimes, is the kickers fault for losing the game?

The way I see it.

That dropped punt is how we got the ball for him to miss one of the FGs we're complaining about, I think.

And we scored a two point conversion to offset the missed PAT

The defense failed to stop Rivers at anytime, until Rivers stopped himself by choosing to throw it late in the middle of the endzone.

And we actually lost the game by the D hardly challenging SD moving the ball on us in OT.

His job is to kick a ball. There is only one way he can mess up really. He really messed up today. He cost us this game. I would give him the benefit of the doubt if it was one FG. He missed four in 16 games all last year. There were two missed today alone. We won’t even count the XP since it was made up by the two point conversion. If you want to count the intangibles of penalties and defenses not stopping the opposing offense then fine. They have much more complicated jobs with a lot more that can go wrong. Vinny does not have an easy job, and I could t go it.... but it’s pretty straightforward. 

• Like 2