Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Listening to a podcast where they gave a really good explanation why kicking in a soccer stadium is so different then a regular nfl stadium. Hopefully that is all it was. Apparently pat mcafee said Adam has a history of kicking bad in soccer stadiums.

Care to explain how it is so different? I can't help but think that is a laughable excuse, at the end of the day you're kicking a ball between posts on a field.

Maybe I'm wrong though...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ScotColt said:

Care to explain how it is so different? I can't help but think that is a laughable excuse, at the end of the day you're kicking a ball between posts on a field.

I would have to post the podcast. It had something to do with site lines. Plus there was a lot sun because the the stadium is just built different.

Another theory I heard that makes sense is AB had that injury last year. He had to change some technique because he was injured and now not being injured he needs to go back to how he always kicked.  The fact he was missing them right or left and they were not short tells me it maybe is a technique issue.

19 hours ago, ScotColt said:

It's a scientifically known fact that there is a wrong-handed Coriolis effect in every soccer field caused by a gravitational anomaly. American football fans just haven't grasped the gravity of the situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Listening to a podcast where they gave a really good explanation why kicking in a soccer stadium is so different then a regular nfl stadium. Hopefully that is all it was. Apparently pat mcafee said Adam has a history of kicking bad in soccer stadiums.

What about the 6 misses in 4 games under 30 yards, xpt included? Were those all soccer stadiums ? 

20 hours ago, ScotColt said:

Worst excuse ever , bar none. People are reaching. He's one kick from retirement.  In a league where most teams are basically about the same , you just can't have it.  The average kicker is around 90 percent now . He is at about 70, 75 including the playoffs and all last season , the first game this year.  

• Like 1

There's another potential layer to this, that if it occurs will be speculated on, but near impossible to prove. Suppose on a few 4th and shorts or 4th and "mediums" Reich decides to forego the FG and go for the 1st down? The speculation will be he doesn't have confidence in AV. With Reich's history of going for it on 4th down, it will make it difficult to decipher:

Did he go for it due to lack of confidence in AV?

Is Reich just being Reich, like vs Jack, Houston, etc?

Add in, what if AV misses his first attempt and then Reich goes for the 1st down the next time a similar situation arises?

With years of AV, Patty Mac and Rigo, whoever thought the kicking game in Indy could ever get this interesting!

20 minutes ago, coltsva said:

There's another potential layer to this, that if it occurs will be speculated on, but near impossible to prove. Suppose on a few 4th and shorts or 4th and "mediums" Reich decides to forego the FG and go for the 1st down? The speculation will be he doesn't have confidence in AV. With Reich's history of going for it on 4th down, it will make it difficult to decipher:

Did he go for it due to lack of confidence in AV?

Is Reich just being Reich, like vs Jack, Houston, etc?

Add in, what if AV misses his first attempt and then Reich goes for the 1st down the next time a similar situation arises?

With years of AV, Patty Mac and Rigo, whoever thought the kicking game in Indy could ever get this interesting!

Good point.  

I'm not getting into the whole soccer field debate... it does not matter what the field was originally designed for, the goal posts, the field, and the hash marks are all per football standards.

I think the explanation is fairly simple.  AV is getting older.  When you get older the fast twitch muscles do not twitch as fast.  For a kicker that means the point of the kick where he generates the most force changes slightly, so that means the plant foot has to adjust.  For AV with him being injured part of last year and a good portion of training camp, he did not get his kicks in to fine tune that plant foot placement and kicking motion.  So his body goes back to the muscle memory of the last few years.

Think of it like a golf swing.  For years you could hit a 9 iron 130 yards, now you are older and you have to drop down to an 8 iron.  One of two things will happen, If you try to position your feet and the 8 iron the exact same as you did the 9 iron, your shots are going to be a bit more wild and not as consistent until you figure out exactly where to place your feet and exactly how to hold the club.  The other thing that may happen is you still try to use your 9 iron but you will just swing a bit harder... that will cause the same thing... shots will not be as consistent.

So the only solution is to practice swinging the 9 iron harder or practice to fine tune everything with the 8 iron.  because of his injuries AV has not had a chance to really practice either.  Thus the reason he was kicking two days this week rather than one.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Is it ok to be concerned now?

Yes, I thought it was ok to be concerned last week.  Like I said it was worth keeping an eye on last week.  Now it’s getting to the point the Colts might have to do something if he doesn’t turn it around quickly.  They can’t keep leaving points on the field.

This guy is done... 4 misses in 1.5 games

If a corner blew coverage on this many plays to start a season, many on this board would call for his benching...

If a WR dropped this many endzone passes in this time frame, people would crucify him.

Vinny gets a pass I guess because of the past? He is bigger than the shoe? The good teams cut bait before the decline (ex. Patriots). Vinny is DONE

• Like 1

This doesn’t change how I feel about the situation, I think the Colts have to take a long hard look at Adam this week, but Kravitz said it was a bad snap and hold on the extra point.  Take that for what it’s worth.  

Not sure how to copy tweets on my iPad but McAfee has a really good break down of the extra point try.  Points out it wasn’t clean but seems to think Adam should have made it and shares our concern.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 4:52 AM, Chloe6124 said:

what a bad excuse... the ball and air is no different than other places, and though the field/ turf may differ from stadium to stadium, it's no excuse.

Adam need to hit if he won't end his career being cut by CB before next week.

It's sad but we need a kicker who can deliver in games, not only in practices. 

He might have retired before this season, but let's see how he manage to handle the next kicks in the titans game... one more miss in this game and if it costs us the win... me might be cut tomorrow. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This doesn’t change how I feel about the situation, I think the Colts have to take a long hard look at Adam this week, but Kravitz said it was a bad snap and hold on the extra point.  Take that for what it’s worth.  

Not sure how to copy tweets on my iPad but McAfee has a really good break down of the extra point try.  Points out it wasn’t clean but seems to think Adam should have made it and shares our concern.

I kind of think something messed up on that extra point. It looked "off." Not saying it was a bad snap and hold, but I did see Adam smack Rigs on the head as if to say "Don't sweat it."

I don't think we can start to ignore a pattern though. I was willing to give him the bad game, but a pattern is a whole different story. Lets see if he can make a FG in this game if we get in range.

19 minutes ago, Exodus said:

I kind of think something messed up on that extra point. It looked "off." Not saying it was a bad snap and hold, but I did see Adam smack Rigs on the head as if to say "Don't sweat it."

I don't think we can start to ignore a pattern though. I was willing to give him the bad game, but a pattern is a whole different story. Lets see if he can make a FG in this game if we get in range.

McAfee seemed to think it was a bad snap and Rigs did a good job getting it down and getting the laces out.  Not a perfect hold though.  He also said Adam short legged it but he also said Adam has been doing that the past few years.

18 minutes ago, Exodus said:

It hasn’t just been one bad game.  His kicks have been degrading for quite a while now — even many of the kicks he’s made have been suspect.

I love AV.  But it’s time.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

I dont wanna say I told you so. But I told this board so. He missed a bunch in the KC playoff game. Some say we didnt lose because of him. However, Once you start losing points, it affects the entire team. 

Now after this Titans game. everyone sees my point now huh? smh.

Most didn’t defend Adam last week, they just pointed out he wasn’t the only problem.  There is a difference.