Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

...and here is the obligatory vote of confidence.  

Colts express faith in Adam Vinatieri despite another big miss

...The Colts have had all eight of their games decided by a touchdown or less. They are 5-3.

If Adam Vinatieri had made his kicks in two of the games, though, the Colts would have a 7-1 record.

In a season-opening overtime loss to the Chargers, he missed a 46-yarder wide left, a 29-yarder wide left and an extra point wide right. On Sunday, Vinatieri missed a 43-yarder wide left with 1:11 left in a 26-24 loss to the Steelers.

“Still have all the confidence in the world in Adam,” Colts coach Frank Reich said Sunday...

...He has missed 10 kicks this season, including a league-leading five extra points. Vinatieri is making only 70.6 percent of his field goal attempts, a career-low, and 73.7 percent of his extra points, also a career low.

There are calls in Indianapolis for the Colts to replace Vinatieri before it’s too late. The Colts, as of tonight, aren’t listening.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/03/colts-express-faith-in-adam-vinatieri-despite-another-miss/

I'm here for my crow!  And I'm pretty hungry...  I threw up my lunch after watching Vinny kick that game-loser...  :puke:

@bluebombers87 you were right, Vinny is officially a liability.  He just doesn't kick a pretty ball anymore.  Even the ones that go through the uprights are ugly low-flying knuckleballs.  Watching Justin Tucker kick right now brings to mind the phrase "pure kicker" like a "pure passer".  Tucker kicks a beautiful ball, Vinny doesn't anymore.

@Introspect I admit that I wouldn't be mad if the Colts have a new kicker on Monday.  I'll be sad about Vinny, but I won't be mad about moving on.  When it's time, it's time.

@Gramz I'm sorry, I wanted to win this game more than any other on our schedule this year, and to lose it like that... when we should have won... that was a gut-punch.  I'd love to let Vinny finish the season, but I don't want Vinny to lose us any more games this year.  It's not fair to us, it's not fair to him, and it's not fair to his teammates.

I can't believe I'm saying this, and it doesn't feel right being only halfway through the season, but it might be the right thing to do to say farewell to Vinny.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm here for my crow!  And I'm pretty hungry...  I threw up my lunch after watching Vinny kick that game-loser...  :puke:

@bluebombers87 you were right, Vinny is officially a liability.  He just doesn't kick a pretty ball anymore.  Even the ones that go through the uprights are ugly low-flying knuckleballs.  Watching Justin Tucker kick right now brings to mind the phrase "pure kicker" like a "pure passer".  Tucker kicks a beautiful ball, Vinny doesn't anymore.

@Introspect I admit that I wouldn't be mad if the Colts have a new kicker on Monday.  I'll be sad about Vinny, but I won't be mad about moving on.  When it's time, it's time.

@Gramz I'm sorry, I wanted to win this game more than any other on our schedule this year, and to lose it like that... when we should have won... that was a gut-punch.  I'd love to let Vinny finish the season, but I don't want Vinny to lose us any more games this year.  It's not fair to us, it's not fair to him, and it's not fair to his teammates.

I can't believe I'm saying this, and it doesn't feel right being only halfway through the season, but it might be the right thing to do to say farewell to Vinny.

giphy.gif

Not necessary. I was hoping he’d prove me wrong for what it’s worth.

He’s still earned the right to choose his exit. Besides in all honesty this team is great and fun to watch, but we’re not real contenders this year.

And for the love of all things holy fans that go to games, DO NOT BOO THE MAN. Still dealing with * journalists from the Luck mid-game retirement.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

He’s still earned the right to choose his exit. Besides in all honesty this team is great and fun to watch, but we’re not real contenders this year.

And for the love of all things holy fans that go to games, DO NOT BOO THE MAN. Still dealing with * journalists from the Luck mid-game retirement.

14 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

@bluebombers87

@Introspect

@Gramz I'm sorry, I wanted to win this game more than any other on our schedule this year, and to lose it like that... when we should have won... that was a gut-punch.  I'd love to let Vinny finish the season, but I don't want Vinny to lose us any more games this year.  It's not fair to us, it's not fair to him, and it's not fair to his 

Thanks guys!   Today was tough to watch. 

• Like 1

In the conversation of replacing kickers, since that seems to be the fun new trend, I am keeping my eye on Logan Justus from Indiana. I may be talking out of my rear here (I don’t keep up with kickers in college football) but the kid has only missed one kick all year and has made some long 40s. Just a thought. Check him out if you have a chance I guess.

Anyone else know of good college kickers?

3 hours ago, coltsva said:

How was the blocked xp not on him? It was a line drive that almost hit the lineman in the head!

And even a perfect snap and hold will duck hook when you chunk the ground well behind the ball.

They said he kicked it low to avoid the swirling winds...nonetheless, there was a a defender coming off the right edge unblocked that darn near made the block. The line also gave pressure. Again, I’m not saying Adam isn’t struggling, I don’t think the other players are giving much help to an already struggling player.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The block was the result of a low kick.  Now I did hear the sideline guy said Adam might have done that to try keep it out of the swirling winds.  The line, especially Glow, have had an issue getting guys arms down all season.  It’s shown up mostly in the passing game but it’s been an issue on kicks too.

i wonder if the Colts give Matt Overton a call this week, he was the long snapper before and pretty good.  He was released by the Jags so he’s out there and we know he knows working with Adam.

Rigo isn’t going anywhere but can probably use more practice on holding.

with that said Adam is still an issue.  The last snap wasn’t good but Adam also mistimed his kick and dug into the ground.  He did the samething vs Miami last year.  That’s something NFL level kickers just don’t do let alone doing it twice in a calendar year.  He’s been having issues since really the last quarter of last season.  Not all of that is the kicking operation.  The question is is someone better available?  That’s something we as fans don’t know but I hope the Colts front office explores that this week.  If one isn’t then we have to live with Adam until the end of the season.  This maybe a problem that can’t be fixed this season.

I agree with just about everything. My only point in the thread is most fans see a missed kick and blame the kicker when it could of been the snap, the hold, the line, etc. Adam is definitely struggling, no doubt, I just think it’s more than just him. The whole unit is struggling. Heck special teams in general today really struggled.

5 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Tucker missed a PAT tonight. Kicking game really needs to be fixed. We could easily be undefeated if those missed didn’t happen. 

Here is the thing. I will blame Adam for the chargers loss. This game should of never come down to that last kick. This game should of been over at halftime even with all the injuries.

Vinny is not my favorite person right now.  However, i just remembered something that might keep some of you Indy residents out of trouble.

Remember the time Vinny was 5/5 in Baltimore in a TD-less game to help us win in our playoff run?  Justfocus on thatfor a little while.

I'd hate to see a story in the Star about someone caught "TP"-ing Vinny's house!

It’s sad to see something come to an end.  AV has been great for years but we all knew this would eventually come. Let him finish out the year bc He is still better than anyone off the street.  

Also, people need to chill out. Colts have been playing with Fire all year.  Every game has been decided by one score.  We have won 5 of those. We are already beating the odds but let’s face it...we are depleted at WR with a back up QB and no pass rush.  This season has been great but law of averages point to this being a 6 to 10 win team each year. For a comparable situation look at the Cowboys, dominate OL with creative coach but middle of the road QB. 7-9 to 10-6 team Depending on schedule. 

Sometimes we will do well and other times we will lose heartbreakers. I’m glad we are competitive and it makes a really enjoyable experience each week win or lose.  

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is the thing. I will blame Adam for the chargers loss. This game should of never come down to that last kick. This game should of been over at halftime even with all the injuries.

But it did.   And he blew it.   

• Like 2

I’m reminded of the blowout in Jacksonville (2006). The Jags ran for 375 yards and Dungy (against popular opinion) said; “we don’t need different players, we just need to be a little sharper”.
   Fans are so quick to want to get rid of players, grab a name like Ramsey or Antonio Brown. 
   They have confidence in AV. I have confidence in them. He’s earned the right to correct himself. 

• Like 1

Last year I mentioned in a thread I thought the problem could be Rhodes snaps were often high and throwing off the timing. This year the snaps have gotten better and the results have gotten worse.

Then it was mechanics and AV jabbing at the ball. Then he "kicked it wide to avoid the rush," then "he deliberately kicked it low because of the wind," and now it's Sanchez's holds. Maybe we should start a thread with predictions on what next week's excuse will be.

Last week I said keep AV because although inconsistent, he was still clutch and was better than anyone else out there. After this week, I don't believe either of those statements to be true.

Just a note on laces: kicking the laces will take away some distance, and it may alter the accuracy very slightly, but it will NOT make the kick duck hook. Because it was only a 43 yard kick, it's probably why Sanchez didn't try to spin the laces to the side or front. No need to mess with that on what is an easy distance for an NFL kicker. For a short kick, it is more a mental thing of seeing the laces staring back at you as you stride into the kick. You're swinging your leg into the ball and your brain is saying "oh crap."

Edit: to be clear, I understand AV is not making any excuses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Just a note on laces: kicking the laces will take away some distance, and it may alter the accuracy very slightly, but it will NOT make the kick duck hook. Because it was only a 43 yard kick, it's probably why Sanchez didn't try to spin the laces to the side or front. No need to mess with that on what is an easy distance for an NFL kicker. For a short kick, it is more a mental thing of seeing the laces staring back at you as you stride into the kick. You're swinging your leg into the ball and your brain is saying "oh crap."

I spent some time looking up how the laces "in" affects kicks.   It is pretty minimal.   AV blew it.  Left a divot too.  

On 11/1/2019 at 9:59 PM, bluebombers87 said:

You should have read those 22 pages haha.

Never said we should replace him. I was merely pointing out that we shouldn’t be exuberant claiming he’s back. We said the same thing in game 3. He’s still having issues. Kickings only gonna get harder as the year goes on. Maybe he struggles, maybe he doesn’t. Point is he’s inconsistent. And an inconsistent kicker is a liability in this league. Apparently this is tantamount to saying he’s garbage. I dunno.

yeah, i guess I should have read them all.  And yes, I agree he's not back (although his last missed FG was on the holder not him).  He is inconsistent.  Still I would trust him more with the game n the line over just about any other kicker in the league.

• Like 3

I have been a Colts fan for more years that I want to count.....  

I saw George Blanda try to play WAY past his prime.....

I love the players that have played well for us 

But, when they age, there is a point that they can no longer play at a high level

Vinnie has come to that point.  Age impacts us all........

Will he get better ?  I dont think so.......  I believe that he will continue to slide.

The missed FGs are one thing

The fact is....... He is regularly missing extra points,

If you cant be counted on to make extra points....... you need to go as a kicker in the NFL

Lets find someone that can make extra points..... RELIABLY,....... FIRST

The time is now.... I would rather have a cast off rookie that has a decent short game......

We will just have to go for it when we are 45 yards out or longer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I spent some time looking up how the laces "in" affects kicks.   It is pretty minimal.   AV blew it.  Left a divot too.  

I've experienced it first hand in high school and small time college. For an amateur, it's mentally brutal seeing laces looking back at you. For a 24 year pro, it stinks to have it happen, but it should be no big deal. And I am positive that throughout his career Adam has taken plenty of practice kicks with laces facing him, just to be comfortable with doing it.

• Like 1

If this was an  exception, I may give him more of a pass.   Bundle this with his 5 missed XP's and his 5 missed FG's and it is obvious that he has issues.   He's ours for the rest of the season (unless the playoffs look like a certainty and he continues to kick at 70%).  

C'mon Adam, we are all rooting for you.   

• Like 1

Question for those that say its on everyone and not Vinny's fault we lost...

Did Vinny kick the game winner vs the Broncos at the end of the game?

Nope, he didnt. That kick had nothing to do with sealing the victory. Brissett actually won that game in the 2nd quarter when he scrambled for a 4 yard gain instead of throwing an incomplete pass (this statement sounds ridiculous right?!?)

You cant have it both ways. 

• Like 3