Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Colt is highest rated guard in the league after 3 weeks

Steamboat_Shaun

Was it Grigson or Ballard who cut him? If it was Grigs than we all know he was inept at recognizing talent so not surprised, if it was Ballard than also not surprised because he seems to just want to get rid of all Grigsons picks no matter what haha. Sucks that a former 7th round pick of ours is lighting it up with another team though..

Test him......just kidding. Imagine put him in an offense that doesn't hold onto the ball for 5 seconds and has a good running game and bam...he is a hit. Good for Austin. Seems we got rid of the wrong lineman from that class but still happy for a former Colt and his family! Hope he gets paid!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Was it Grigson or Ballard who cut him? If it was Grigs than we all know he was inept at recognizing talent so not surprised, if it was Ballard than also not surprised because he seems to just want to get rid of all Grigsons picks no matter what haha. Sucks that a former 7th round pick of ours is lighting it up with another team though..

Pretty sure it was Grigson that cut him his rookie year.

He was drafted by Grigson to back up Kelly.  Then was cut by Ballard.

Wiki -

Blythe was drafted in the seventh round (248th overall) of the 2016 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts. He signed his rookie contract with the Colts on May 5, 2016.[3] As a rookie in 2016, he served as a backup center behind fellow rookie Ryan Kelly. In the 2016 season, Blythe played in eight games with one start.

On May 15, 2017, Blythe was waived by the Colts

I don't know who backed up Kelly at C in 2017.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

He was drafted by Grigson to back up Kelly.  Then was cut by Ballard.

Wiki -

Blythe was drafted in the seventh round (248th overall) of the 2016 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts. He signed his rookie contract with the Colts on May 5, 2016.[3] As a rookie in 2016, he served as a backup center behind fellow rookie Ryan Kelly. In the 2016 season, Blythe played in eight games with one start.

On May 15, 2017, Blythe was waived by the Colts

I don't know who backed up Kelly at C in 2017.

The guys who backed up Kelky last year were a Bond, who did well, then got hurt.    And Person, who did well, but we did not keep this off season.   I think there was one other player,  but I don’t recall who it was.

5 hours ago, MTC said:

I could be wrong, but I thought he was competing with Jonotthan Harrison at center and he lost. 

True. He was compared to Jeff Saturday in stature by some Iowa Hawkeye fans and projected at center. Since we drafted Ryan Kelly, it was a matter of time that he became expendable at center. He did fill in at guard due to injury once or twice, I think, but it could have been a case of scheme not protecting him and his strength not being up to snuff at that point in time.

Right guy at right time is what the NFL is all about. He just wasn't right for us at that time and I am glad he latched on very well with the Rams in their scheme, good for him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

To be fair he was a center in college though he had played at other spots early in his career. I don’t think anyone  besides the Rams though to try him at guard. Plus he’s a zone blocker.

Scheme and position changes can do wonders for a player.

We played him at guard, he wasn't good. I never thought he should be tried at guard, given his size and short arms. He played some guard for the Rams last year, also. He only got thrown into the starting lineup because their regular starter was suspended the first two games, but now they're keeping Blythe in since he's played so well. Good for him. I always liked him as a backup center, but he's proving me wrong right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

What’s really laughable is that Quenton Nelson isn’t on this list.

Nelson was playing against Fletcher Cox (PFF 92.4, #1 DI), Brandon Graham (PFF 83.6, #7 ED), Chris Long (PFF 82.0, #10 ED), Geno Atkins (PFF 89.6, #7 DI), Ryan Glasgow (PFF 84.1, #13 DI), Carlos Dunlap (PFF 80.9, #12 ED), Matt Ioannidis (PFF 82.4, #15 DI)...

+Ryan Kerrigan, Jonathan Allen, Derek Barnett, Carl Lawson, Sam Hubbard! BTW, after CIN-IND game Atkins was 69.0 or something like that.

Blythe was facing Cardinals (best DI - Rodney Gunter, 64.8, #65, best ED - Benson Mayowa, 74.2, #23), Chargers (best DI - Darius Philon, 78.6, #21, best ED - Melvin Ingram, 65.3, #51), Raiders (best DI - Clinton McDonald, 74.7, #31, best ED - Frostee Rucker, 73.7, #24).

Total defense (nfl.com): Redskins #2, Eagles #9, Bengals #26... Raiders #20, Chargers #24, Cardinals #25.

It's not like Austin was playing agaist his own DL.

• Like 2

He started at RG for us in one game. I am pretty sure it was the game in London.  That did not go well for us or Austin.  We cut him because he lacked position flexibility as a Colt. Whatever the reason was be it scheme fit, short arms, or lack of strength. He struggled playing G while he was here.  It's next to impossible to make a roster as a reserve if your a pure pivot. 

It is good to see him having success else where. We may have found something Grig's was good at. He nailed those 7th round picks and went OL heavy. We have to toss out the 2012 draft but after that his 7th rounders were K Williams 2013,  John 2014, Good 2015 and Blythe 2016. That is quite a run. Unfortunately Good is the only one that helped the Colts. . 

4 hours ago, K-148 said:

Nelson was playing against Fletcher Cox (PFF 92.4, #1 DI), Brandon Graham (PFF 83.6, #7 ED), Chris Long (PFF 82.0, #10 ED), Geno Atkins (PFF 89.6, #7 DI), Ryan Glasgow (PFF 84.1, #13 DI), Carlos Dunlap (PFF 80.9, #12 ED), Matt Ioannidis (PFF 82.4, #15 DI)...

+Ryan Kerrigan, Jonathan Allen, Derek Barnett, Carl Lawson, Sam Hubbard! BTW, after CIN-IND game Atkins was 69.0 or something like that.

Blythe was facing Cardinals (best DI - Rodney Gunter, 64.8, #65, best ED - Benson Mayowa, 74.2, #23), Chargers (best DI - Darius Philon, 78.6, #21, best ED - Melvin Ingram, 65.3, #51), Raiders (best DI - Clinton McDonald, 74.7, #31, best ED - Frostee Rucker, 73.7, #24).

Total defense (nfl.com): Redskins #2, Eagles #9, Bengals #26... Raiders #20, Chargers #24, Cardinals #25.

It's not like Austin was playing agaist his own DL.

I didn’t need you to fansplain this to me. What I was implying is that considering how well Nelson has played against elite competition thus far, he should be rated much higher.

15 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

If Grigson cut him, it's because he sucked.

If Ballard cut him, it was for a very valid reason, like "he didn't fit our scheme" or something.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I didn’t need you to fansplain this to me. What I was implying is that considering how well Nelson has played against elite competition thus far, he should be rated much higher.

Thanks for new word to my vocabulary. Fansplain...

"When a fan tries to explain something to a pro athlete, coach, GM or entertainer about the pro's craft. Takeoff of mansplain."

Sorry, Mr. Pro, last time I checked, PFF doesn't count rating of opponent into consideration. It's either win or loss.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

If Grigson cut him, it's because he sucked.

If Ballard cut him, it was for a very valid reason, like "he didn't fit our scheme" or something.

People use that type of arguments for all sorts of things.  People who didn't like Manning, if the Colts won it was because the other team blew it, or someone else stepped up, etc but if they lost it was all Manning's fault.  They have used it with Dungy, Polian, Caldwell, Manning, Luck, now Ballard and Grigson.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He has made a couple mistakes on the snap when facing these perennial D-linemen.  Though most of the time he has a quick recovery, The initial loss at the snap has counted against him more than when he is able to recover as per PFF scoring.

5 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

He has made a couple mistakes on the snap when facing these perennial D-linemen.  Though most of the time he has a quick recovery, The initial loss at the snap has counted against him more than when he is able to recover as per PFF scoring.

IMO PFF lineman grades are about as accurate and tracking 7 on 7 QB completion percentage in training camp... it's not totally worthless but doesn't offer anything of real value.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

IMO PFF lineman grades are about as accurate and tracking 7 on 7 QB completion percentage in training camp... it's not totally worthless but doesn't offer anything of real value.

They are pretty accurate, but sometimes misleading: reader has to know whom lineman was playing. PFF doesn't increase score because of strong opponent, nor it decrease because of weak one. At the end of a season, when all games are played and all opponents, bad or great, were met, PFF is at it's best.

• Like 1