Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame

TKnight24

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

As someone that has watched Nelson play every game the past 2 years, I can say that I'm very low on your ability to evaluate offensive line talent.

:D

With all the pressure that comes up the middle in today's NFL, and with the need to have talented guards that can pull to create a rushing offense, Nelson has the ability to make a gigantic impact.  He's going to help protect the franchise QB and hopefully he's going to help create a respectable running attack for the first time in the past 5-6 years.

In other words, cheer up.  Oh, and go watch some tape.  Not 4-minute YouTube highlight reels.  Entire games.

Being from the BEND, I echoe your statement!  Top Draft Gurus have QN as the top player in the Draft & for good reason as you pointed out!  QN imo was the sole reason ND had great success & if you watch tape you will see for yourself the nastiness he brings to the OL.  Please STOP with the notion about OG not being worthy of a top pick, the NFL is revolving & most pass rush today is coming from the middle unlike any era of this sport!  In fact, Lucks devastating hit that injured his shoulder was from push up the middle so case closed.  TY Chris Ballard!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand how anyone wouldn't be thrilled by this.  For the last how many years now we've been complaining about the interior of the line?  Our franchise QB missed all last year because we couldn't protect him.  We haven't been able to run the ball since...geez I can't even remember when.  We draft an amazing prospect on the interior of the line, hopefully finally stabilizing our biggest weakspot and some of you are....

Upset about this?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

There is little to no value in drafting guards in the top 10. It's has only happened twice since the year 2000, today and the cardinals in 2002. Guard is not a high value position i don't care if he is the best guard in the history of history

The past NFL says yes but welcome to TODAYS NFL.  This game is revolving & most pressure  today is coming from the middle so that makes guard play more important than any other era.  Those with high level Guard play are highly successful & we just got one of the best in 20 yrs, if not best ever!  I’m sure there was a Dorsette or Werner there for the taking to make you happy but in Ballard I Trust!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Yeah but they picked Martin and Frederick in the teens. Even Tyron Smith, a LT, was like 7 or 8.

Yeah but put them in this draft and they go much higher. It all depends who else is available and whether you feel like you can get a solid player later at the same position or not. Comparing when a player got drafted one year vs another is silly as its never the same talent level.

Just look at the players drafted ahead of Tyron Smith in this draft he'd be a top 5-7 pick like Nelson was but in 2011 he was #9. Colts picked Kelly/Castonzo in the teens and then picked Nelson 6th very simple to what Cowboys have done.

Heres your 2011 Draft https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/draft.htm

What you will notice is Castonzo is actually the 3rd OT taken @#22 while Smith is 1st @#9 and is very similar to situation in this years draft where people felt like they could get decent OL talent later but who would you rather have right now Tyron Smith or Castonzo the answer is obvious and 7 years from now the answer will be very obvious just how important drafting Nelson was especially since so many OL started to get draft in mid-late 1st round. Colts would've been screwed had they of passed on Nelson. 

EDIT: Oh and also if you look 8 offensive linemen are drafted in the first round that year(9,15,17,22,23,25,29,32). 6 of those are OT #9,, #17, #22, #25, #29, #32. Of those 8 OL the top 4 picks are all in the NFL still while the 5th+ OL taken the #23 pick, #29, #32 only lasted 3-4 years in the NFL. The #9 pick is a 5 time probowler 5 straight seasons his first 2 seasons he wasn't. The #15 pick was a probowl for 3 straight seasons but hasn't been for last 2. The #17 pick zero pro bowls, The #22 pick zero pro bowls, #23 zero, #25 zero Pro bowls, #29 zero, #32 zero. It's clear you want a probowl top OL for the next decade you need to be the first team to pick one. If Colts don't draft Nelson at 6 he doesn't drop past 7-9. True defensive game changers like Von Miller compete with QBs to go #1 overall and either go #1 or go #2.

• Like 3

Love this pick, especially after Chub was gone, this was a no-brainer.

For those who think picking a Guard at 6 is too “expensive”, things are changing. Just look at what the top FA G got of money this year. Then think about all the complaining that OL coming from college is not as prepared for NFL as they used to be, and I think you will understand the value better. Even if you disregard the need we had/have at the spot.

• Like 1

I have watched complete game film on Nelson and I realize that I have rarely seen a player at any position with the absolute ruthless manner in which he applies his craft. If he were born with a different body shape, he would be just as ruthless...but at a different position. 

You can't coach into a guy what he already has. The undisturbed will to beat the man across from him till they give. This is a Robert Mathis mind, in a bigger body. When this kid retires, he will have held nothing back. 

Man I love where this franchise in going. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth...   the first reporter to respond to the announcement was NFLN's Ian Rappaport...

His tweet noted that several teams had Nelson as..........    (drum roll!)

The number ONE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT!     (Emphasis mine)

A guard as the top player in the draft.... let that sink in for a while....    so, no, there was no other guard in the draft like Nelson.   He's in a league of his own.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth...   the first jets on to respond to the announcement was NFLN's Ian Rappaport...

His tweet noted that several teams had Nelson as..........

The number ONE PLAYER IN THE DRAFT!     (Emphasis mine)

A guard as the top player in the draft.... let that sink in for a while....    so, no, there was no other guard in the draft line Nelson.   He's in a league of his own.

I thought very highly of multiple interior linemen this year and even with that said I thought Nelson was in class of his own. Even when compared to the tackles in the class... The consensus best tackle in the draft just went 3 picks after Nelson. For whoever doubts the pick, just put on any tape of Notre dame and watch Nelson and McGlinchey play next to eachother. You can see them against the same team, on the same field, executing the same system. IMO you cannot watch this tape and think McGlinchey is anywhere close to Nelson... in a weird way I think Nelson made me not like McGlinchey as much as he probably deserved. Just he seemed so blah when you watch him right next to a player like Nelson. 

• Like 1

As Chubb was picked by the Broncos, this pick was a no brainer. 

We had the worst o line for years now. Our franchise qb was injured all of last season. Pass rushers are getting more and more athletic today providing more pressure up the middle. 

Keeping our franchise qb healthy is the top priority. Then we can build around. 

And as sbdy mentioned above. Look what fa guards got paid this offseason. For a good reason i think. A good defense won't help much if your franchise qb(probably most talented right now) is getting killed on the field. 

3 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Lol, why not?  It is a greater position of value.

By conventional wisdom, maybe. But I disagree in this instance, as his run blocking ability as a Guard is a premium asset for us. Elite Guards are also getting paid as tackles now, things are changing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

By conventional wisdom, maybe. But I disagree in this instance, as his run blocking ability as a Guard is a premium asset for us. Elite Guards are also getting paid as tackles now, things are changing. 

We shall see and as he is a Colt I will be rooting for him despite his position.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Being from the BEND, I echoe your statement!  Top Draft Gurus have QN as the top player in the Draft & for good reason as you pointed out!  QN imo was the sole reason ND had great success & if you watch tape you will see for yourself the nastiness he brings to the OL.  Please STOP with the notion about OG not being worthy of a top pick, the NFL is revolving & most pass rush today is coming from the middle unlike any era of this sport!  In fact, Lucks devastating hit that injured his shoulder was from push up the middle so case closed.  TY Chris Ballard!

Absolutely 100% correct.  Once "exotic" A-gap and double A-gap blitzes are virtually routine now. 

I want some nasty interior OL that are going to dispatch of those pass rushers with extreme prejudice; Nelson (and Kelly) will be happy to oblige. 

• Like 2

As I mentioned in another thread, I loved the Stampede Blue take on this pick:

It is a salad pick.  You know its the best thing for you and is the right thing to do, but the cheeseburger still looks really delicious!

As hard as it is to get excited about a guard at 6, it is the right pick and will make a big difference long term.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jaric said:

I don't understand how anyone wouldn't be thrilled by this.  For the last how many years now we've been complaining about the interior of the line?  Our franchise QB missed all last year because we couldn't protect him.  We haven't been able to run the ball since...geez I can't even remember when.  We draft an amazing prospect on the interior of the line, hopefully finally stabilizing our biggest weakspot and some of you are....

Upset about this?

I think most of us who are a little bit disappointed, are acknowledging Nelson’s talent and like Kelly, we are hoping he will be a difference maker for years to come. But I was hoping they could get a guy like Roquan Smith at 6 and still pick up a Hernandez. In the long run, I’m sure we’ll all be happy with Nelson.

I just hope they go LB, DE, WR to add to the Nelson pick. 

9 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I know the buzzword(s) with this pick is protecting Luck, but watching Nelson's highlights you can really start to see part of why Josh Adams was able to have such a solid year. 

Marlon Mack has to love this pick. And heck, why not consider Josh Adams late if he's there. I don't think we should go RB for a few rounds at least now anyways. Gotta be a defensive focus now, and if we do go offense, double dip on the OL (if somebody like Hernandez/Wynn/Ragnow drops) or WR.

I think this is the key too.  What’s lost on many apparently is how the ability to run, even the ability to fake the run, frees up so much more.  3.7 yards a carry last year (?), amongst the worst in the NFL.  Balance offensively, control the ball and clock, run effectively, and the D is on the field less.  This pick helps everything.   It’s never sexy to build the foundation but it’s what supports everything else. 

57 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I think most of us who are a little bit disappointed,

I think it seems split pretty even and probably in favor of the pick.  

The "position of value" crap being thrown out here is just that.....crap.    Good guards are getting top dollars.   We just got an anchor for the next decade.   Kelly will improve as will the rest of the line.   This is great.   All the draft grades that I am seeing are A's for the Colts so far.  

• Like 2

Prediction:

The Colts change scheme to more three step drops instead of 5 and 7

The Colts obtain a second WR who can actually get open fairly frequently, as do the rest because of route evolution

After working on it all spring, Luck changes his throwing motion to actually be accurate on short crossing routes

The offense stops being the slowest in the NFL from snap to QB release and Luck takes much less punishment

The forum raves about how drafting Nelson reduced the sack total, citing a bunch of stats to support their opinion.

2 hours ago, GusFring said:

I keep hearing how good this guy is... He better be Larry Allen. And it scares me that the guy that plays next to him was drafted high as well. 

Read the scouting reports on that tackle and watch the film. Mcglitchey was by all accounts a mid to late first round. He went early because there is a huge drop off at Tackle this year 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Prediction:

The Colts change scheme to more three step drops instead of 5 and 7

The Colts obtain a second WR who can actually get open fairly frequently, as do the rest because of route evolution

After working on it all spring, Luck changes his throwing motion to actually be accurate on short crossing routes

The offense stops being the slowest in the NFL from snap to QB release and Luck takes much less punishment

The forum raves about how drafting Nelson reduced the sack total, citing a bunch of stats to support their opinion.

Morning Ryan 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Morning Ryan 

Uh, me saying the Colts finally obtaining a #2 that can get open, route tree evolution, and no longer being the slowest in the NFL from snap to QB release is not a ringing endorsement of Ryan Grigson.

I wanted Nelson day one over everyone including Chubb & Barkley. I wanted him at 3. So we were able to trade down and get more picks and still get him. Improves our run game also. With Nelson-Kelly-Mewhort our middle is going to be really good

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hammer said:

He was ranked as the biggest bust in Packers history.

I dont care what he was ranked on some fan poll. He started 63 games in the NFL.  He also played pretty well for the Colts when he was here.

He also had issues Quenton Nelson doesnt have, and that was my point.

• Like 1

I would have chosen Smith at 6 or Rosen or Allen then Line in Round 2. For the Fans here who say rather have Nelson then Barkley or Chubb, stop drinking the Colts Kool-Aid and be objective, Anyone here who have loved Barkley or Chubb at 3. Of course the Colts winning another meaningless last season game cost them  to pick #2.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

For the Fans here who say rather have Nelson then Barkley or Chubb, stop drinking the Colts Kool-Aid and be objective,

You must have missed where I had been saying I wanted them to take Nelson all along.   Many others here said the same thing.   Nelson is a game changer.   The run will benefit as will the pass.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GusFring said:

I keep hearing how good this guy is... He better be Larry Allen. And it scares me that the guy that plays next to him was drafted high as well. 

Watch them play together. There is no doubt who the better player is on that line when you watch them play right next to each other.