Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame

TKnight24

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

4 years with a 5th year option.  But the 5th year option will be significant.  I think it ends up being the average of the top 10 salaries or something at his position.

Something to keep in mind though is OL is together treated as one position.  So a lot of times, especially with the franchise tag it doesn't make financial sense to tag an Interior OL.  

I have a feeling that is going to change in the next few years

• Like 1

17 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, I agree.  Frankly, I wish it was an LT (and move AC to RT).  The edges are where most of the penetration comes from.  But, still, we’ve definitely had a whole lot of turnover at the OG positions.

So I’m not going to complain too much.  Almost everybody rated Nelson higher than McGlinchey (but not by much).

Disagree our QB's have pressure in their face our RB's are getting hit in the backfield on the regular. Those things are from pressure up the gut. Here we go with move our LT to the right side where he's never played great idea 

3 hours ago, d9sccr said:

My biggest concerns over drafting Nelson or anyone from that highly touted ND OL is the Miami game this year. By far the best DL ND played and the OL was dominated for 60 minutes.  If you watch the film from the game, Nelson was okay in that he held his own for the most part, but is that really what you want from your No 1 pick? 

The best front ND played was UGA I'm not sure if you watched the Miami game We came out throwing and 3 int's later we were down 27-0 that's before halftime All 3 int's were terrible passes from a clean pocket. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just wonder if you are aware that the running game is primarily won between the guards?
Also, if your QB will get the ball out quickly (lol Lucky) the outside pass rush becomes ineffective.

I'm tickled because our play action just became so good.
 Whoever plays beside him will be more effective. Ball control just got better. The Defense will play less.
ANY RB playing behind him will be more effective.

I am aware, thanks for checking though, it never hurts :thmup:.  Still think taking a Guard who will only play Guard and is one-dimensional at #6 is not a good move.  Now if he can move outside to RT and improve as a pass blocker, regardless of position,  then okay, it makes it a better pick imo.  I build homes for a living not football teams...just observations from watching over 40 years of NFL play.  He wears the Shoe now so I will be rooting for him!

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just wonder if you are aware that the running game is primarily won between the guards?
Also, if your QB will get the ball out quickly (lol Lucky) the outside pass rush becomes ineffective.

I'm tickled because our play action just became so good.
 Whoever plays beside him will be more effective. Ball control just got better. The Defense will play less.
ANY RB playing behind him will be more effective.

Best Post you have ever made on here IMO. I agree 100%. I love our pick. Lets hope "Lucky" gets back to 100% :thmup: and we Draft some Defense tonight.

22 hours ago, zibby43 said:

As someone that has watched Nelson play every game the past 2 years, I can say that I'm very low on your ability to evaluate offensive line talent.

:D

With all the pressure that comes up the middle in today's NFL, and with the need to have talented guards that can pull to create a rushing offense, Nelson has the ability to make a gigantic impact.  He's going to help protect the franchise QB and hopefully he's going to help create a respectable running attack for the first time in the past 5-6 years.

In other words, cheer up.  Oh, and go watch some tape.  Not 4-minute YouTube highlight reels.  Entire games.

You and others completely missed my point. For whoever cares, I am convinced Nelson is a great guard, potential Pro Bowler, and All Pro teamer.

It’s just that the impact of his position is not high enough to justify a top 10 draft pick. I believe in the first round an NFL team should pick so called “difference makers”, which are usually top players who pass, catch passes, or help stopping the pass (pass rushers, DBs, athletic linebackers). The availability of top such players drops significantly past the 1st round.

Now, this narrative of protecting Luck has been around since he’s been drafted. Grigson drafted 4 linemen 2 years ago, more before that, and where did that take the Colts? You still hear how the Colts line sucks. For O line you need continuity, good line coaching, and a QB who understands where the pressure comes and gets rid of the ball quickly. Colts had none of these. They did have that during Manning years for the most part.

One more thing, my opinion has no impact  on how the Colts play, so I don’t get why fellow message board members get so upset. If you are happy with the Colts draft good for you! It’s the offseason, when all sins are washed away, and all NFL fans find renewed hope and optimism.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

You and others completely missed my point. For whoever cares, I am convinced Nelson is a great guard, potential Pro Bowler, and All Pro teamer.

It’s just that the impact of his position is not high enough to justify a top 10 draft pick. I believe in the first round an NFL team should pick so called “difference makers”, which are usually top players who pass, catch passes, or help stopping the pass (pass rushers, DBs, athletic linebackers). The availability of top such players drops significantly past the 1st round.

Now, this narrative of protecting Luck has been around since he’s been drafted. Grigson drafted 4 linemen 2 years ago, more before that, and where did that take the Colts? You still hear how the Colts line sucks. For O line you need continuity, good line coaching, and a QB who understands where the pressure comes and gets rid of the ball quickly. Colts had none of these. They did have that during Manning years for the most part.

One more thing, my opinion has no impact  on how the Colts play, so I don’t get why fellow message board members get so upset. If you are happy with the Colts draft good for you! It’s the offseason, when all sins are washed away, and all NFL fans find renewed hope and optimism.

I didn't miss the point my friend.  I just happened to disagree with it.  The crux of your argument, which you reiterate above, is that Nelson is not a play maker or game changer or "difference maker."

I respectfully disagree, and the tape don't lie.  To compare Nelson to any offensive lineman drafted by Grigson, including Kelly, is to miss the mark.

Nelson was one of the best players in the entire draft, irrespective of position.  And I disagree that elite OGs in today's NFL are overrated from a value perspective.  QBs are now being smothered with pressure up the middle, a point I alluded to in my initial response.  The ability to take away an opponent's ability to be multi-dimensional with the pass rush is a game changing factor.

Nelson is also the best pulling OG in the Draft.  With the scheme our new coaching staff is employing, the ability for powerful, athletic OL to execute pulling blocks is essential.

If you still disagree with everything I've set out above after reviewing the tape and studying the scheme our new coaching staff plans to employ, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

You're 100% entitled to your opinion, and I respect the fact that you decided to share it.  We all don't have to think alike on here.  Discussion makes a message board.  Take care bud.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2018 at 1:17 PM, RomanianColtsFan said:

Most of the good DBs, WRs and LBs in the league now have come outside the top ten and outside the first round. 

Nelson is good pick - you will see eventually

• Like 2

On 4/28/2018 at 2:27 AM, zibby43 said:

I didn't miss the point my friend.  I just happened to disagree with it.  The crux of your argument, which you reiterate above, is that Nelson is not a play maker or game changer or "difference maker."

I respectfully disagree, and the tape don't lie.  To compare Nelson to any offensive lineman drafted by Grigson, including Kelly, is to miss the mark.

Nelson was one of the best players in the entire draft, irrespective of position.  And I disagree that elite OGs in today's NFL are overrated from a value perspective.  QBs are now being smothered with pressure up the middle, a point I alluded to in my initial response.  The ability to take away an opponent's ability to be multi-dimensional with the pass rush is a game changing factor.

Nelson is also the best pulling OG in the Draft.  With the scheme our new coaching staff is employing, the ability for powerful, athletic OL to execute pulling blocks is essential.

If you still disagree with everything I've set out above after reviewing the tape and studying the scheme our new coaching staff plans to employ, then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

You're 100% entitled to your opinion, and I respect the fact that you decided to share it.  We all don't have to think alike on here.  Discussion makes a message board.  Take care bud.

I think you missed it, I just don’t value the guard position in the 1st round, period

I don’t have much time to argue on message boards, but I would just say this to hopefully add a little bit of clarity, and then we may agree to disagree. 

If you take Nelson out of the game and replace him with a guard half as good, I don’t believe it makes much of a difference statistically in terms of points scored by the offense (1 or 2 points, if that). And that’s in terms of points, not even talking about winning.

7 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I think you missed it, I just don’t value the guard position in the 1st round, period

I don’t have much time to argue on message boards, but I would just say this to hopefully add a little bit of clarity, and then we may agree to disagree. 

If you take Nelson out of the game and replace him with a guard half as good, I don’t believe it makes much of a difference statistically in terms of points scored by the offense (1 or 2 points, if that). And that’s in terms of points, not even talking about winning.

QB's hate getting pressure up the middle.  That was one of our biggest problems last year.  Solidifying the center of the line reduces the pressure, reduces hits on the QB and that in turn increases the effectiveness of our QB.  That eventually will lead to more points and wins.  Nelson should be an unbelievable value pick for the next 5 yrs. considering what the top FA guards are now getting paid.  Great pick and great value.  I'm sure Luck and Brisett are thrilled with the pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

I think you greatly under value what a good line can do for a team.  

Nelson will make the running game better.   He will make the passing game better.   Both of those will lead to more points.   Keeping the starting QB on the field is a great thing.  

This was a great draft pick.   It was a pick of need.   It was also the best player available.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think you greatly under value what a good line can do for a team.  

Nelson will make the running game better.   He will make the passing game better.   Both of those will lead to more points.   Keeping the starting QB on the field is a great thing.  

This was a great draft pick.   It was a pick of need.   It was also the best player available.    

I understand the logic that a good line helps, I just can't think of any practical examples of a team committing so much resource into a single area.

If it's as crucial as is being made out then wouldn't the list of superbowl winners be packed with teams full of 1st and 2nd round picks on the line? I can't think of a single one though.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:17 PM, RomanianColtsFan said:

I get the popular narrative of "playmakers" and their value... and please understand that this is not a personal attack.... but those plays do NOT get made without consistent supremacy in the trenches.

And as long as you're bringing up the Manning era... I would point to the 3rd and 2 opportunity vs. the Chargers with just over 2 minutes left where we could have converted a 1st down, bled out the clock and advanced in the playoffs.... the closing minutes of the first half vs. the Saints in the Super Bowl where we failed to convert and at least add FG, perhaps a TD.... and the Willie McGinest red zone tackle of Edge in a critical matchup with the Patriots.

These are but a few examples where...in key games...our deficiency along the offensive line probably cost us 1-2 more rings.

And as historically amazing a passer as Peyton Manning was.... without "protection problems" (his words, mind you)... Belichick, as well the Chargers defensive staff KNEW that pressure up the middle was a relatively easy point of exploitation. All too often the result was Manning crumpling to the ground like Woody from Toy Story.

Did we get by during the regular season during those years? Sure... thanks to the likes of Jacksonville, Houston and Tennessee being reliably mediocre.... at best... and the sugar high of 12-4 seasons was fun.

But come playoff time....it cost us on many occasions.

Fast forward to the Andrew Luck era... and we're wondering if the lad is even gonna play again, and if he does... for how long and at what level.

IMO.... Chris Ballard absolutely put the appropriate amount of emphasis on the interior O-line in this draft.... and even setting aside Andrew Luck running for his life and finally being maimed, there are plenty of critical playoff examples where "playmakers" couldn't make plays.... because the O-line we decided to nickel and dime was just not good enough.

I for one.... heartily welcome the selections of Quentin Nelson at #6 and Braden Smith early in round 2.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I understand the logic that a good line helps, I just can't think of any practical examples of a team committing so much resource into a single area.

If it's as crucial as is being made out then wouldn't the list of superbowl winners be packed with teams full of 1st and 2nd round picks on the line? I can't think of a single one though.

That can be said with any position.   The Colts have had a bad O-line for too long.   This pick is a great effort to stop that.  

4 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

And thats one of the dumbest things ive ever heard.

You have nothing to back that up other than just a gut feeling based of clearly never playing football at any significant level. This isnt fantasy football. Its actual football played by real men. Not those digital impressions you manipulate on your TV. A 6'5" 330lb behemoth that can move certainly has an impact in a real football game. Anyone who has played a down knows this.

The Colts are proof of this for gods sake. Thier horrible interior line has held them back for going on 10 years now. Our line started regressing towards the end of Mannings career in fact.

Just because you have an internet connection and time on your hands doesnt mean its a good idea to pretend you know about things you clearly dont know about my friend. Go do something else.

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

That can be said with any position.   The Colts have had a bad O-line for too long.   This pick is a great effort to stop that.  

I'm not sure it could but it's only relevant to the O-line in our case because that's basically where we're packing a good percentage of our top draft resource.

I think I'd just be a bit more confident in our strategy causing significant success if I'd seen it work before or even other good teams trending in the same direction. Having 3 times as many 1st round picks just on the line than we have on the whole defense is a strategy I've never seen attempted let alone work.

Unfortunately the only team I can think of who packed their line solely with top picks  was the Browns when they had Thomas, Mack, Erving, Bitonio and Schwartz. I'm definitely not saying it's conclusive but it's not a glowing endorsement either! 

Completely agree that we needed to improve the line but it seems to me that the best teams fill those spots creatively and allocate the resources in a different way. It's very interesting to me that we're going in a different direction but seem convinced that our way will provide the results.

4 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not sure it could but it's only relevant to the O-line in our case because that's basically where we're packing a good percentage of our top draft resource.

I think I'd just be a bit more confident in our strategy causing significant success if I'd seen it work before or even other good teams trending in the same direction. Having 3 times as many 1st round picks just on the line than we have on the whole defense is a strategy I've never seen attempted let alone work.

Unfortunately the only team I can think of who packed their line solely with top picks  was the Browns when they had Thomas, Mack, Erving, Bitonio and Schwartz. I'm definitely not saying it's conclusive but it's not a glowing endorsement either! 

Completely agree that we needed to improve the line but it seems to me that the best teams fill those spots creatively and allocate the resources in a different way. It's very interesting to me that we're going in a different direction but seem convinced that our way will provide the results.

Unfortunately the Browns never had a QB.  We do.  Could we be the new trendsetters?  It's a copycat league.  Ballard is going to show them the correct way to build a line.   Heck, who can afford these FA OL nowadays?

11 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Well, this is also about adjusting to counter the strength of your opponents in the division. Most of them have a strong defense or d-line. You don’t have much of a chance to hit the play-off if you cant win in your division and go, say, 4-2. I don’t have the stats, but if you can’t do business in your division, things look bleak.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Unfortunately the Browns never had a QB.  We do.  Could we be the new trendsetters?  It's a copycat league.  Ballard is going to show them the correct way to build a line.   Heck, who can afford these FA OL nowadays?

The fact it's a copycat league probably makes it even more interesting that we're striding off down our own path. It will definitely be intriguing to see if we can create a brand new mould.

33 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

You have nothing to back that up other than just a gut feeling based of clearly never playing football at any significant level. This isnt fantasy football. Its actual football played by real men. Not those digital impressions you manipulate on your TV. A 6'5" 330lb behemoth that can move certainly has an impact in a real football game. Anyone who has played a down knows this.

The Colts are proof of this for gods sake. Thier horrible interior line has held them back for going on 10 years now. Our line started regressing towards the end of Mannings career in fact.

Just because you have an internet connection and time on your hands doesnt mean its a good idea to pretend you know about things you clearly dont know about my friend. Go do something else.

Wow! You are such a keyboard warrior.

Whatever your frustrations or problems are, remember, I’m not the one who caused them.

I thought this was a message board 

where different opinions about football and the team we all cheer are accepted and debated, not a cauldron for intolerance and personal attacks.

Ok, and as I’m going to make sure the door doesn’t hit me in the you know what (anticipating replies after this), I’ll give you the honor of knowing first that this is my last message on this site as I’m closing my account. I hope everyone is happy, enjoys positive news, and lives in harmony. Peace!

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

The fact it's a copycat league probably makes it even more interesting that we're striding off down our own path. It will definitely be intriguing to see if we can create a brand new mould.

Most of the Cowboys line were first rounders. 

I’ve heard the term “highlight reel guard” about Nelson. Watching tape, I thought he was the best player in the draft. I could pick on a few things with Chubb and even Barkley got shut down against elite competition. Nelson straight bullied everyone he played against. The guy simply outclassed everyone he played against, and by a pretty wide margin. Watch his tape. His run blocking is impressive as you will find, but what stuck out to me is his pass blocking. He literally would stonewall a guy and while the rest of the line was collapsing little by little, Nelson didn’t give up a dang inch on anyone. I was absolutely blown away at his ability and consistency. We pick two All-American guards to fix this line. Barring any injuries, it appears we finally fixed what was holding back our offense. We could be top 5 again with a full return of luck and a new OL, which helps the entire team.

7 hours ago, Bshultz said:

Most of the Cowboys line were first rounders. 

3 of them were first rounders you are quite correct however when they had their best recent season the other two spots were filled with lower round picks like Doug Free or UDFAs like Ronald Leary rather than 2nd round picks.

Interestingly though, since they completed the rebuild of the line by drafting Martin in 2015 they've got a record of 26/22 so it's hardly been an overwhelming success anyway if that's who we're trying to replicate.

Here's Brandon Beane talking about their attempts to move up:

He says they weren't going to give up a second first rounder and he also says the Colts were set on picking their guy(Nelson) once he fell to them so the trade was impossible.

13 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

3 of them were first rounders you are quite correct however when they had their best recent season the other two spots were filled with lower round picks like Doug Free or UDFAs like Ronald Leary rather than 2nd round picks.

Interestingly though, since they completed the rebuild of the line by drafting Martin in 2015 they've got a record of 26/22 so it's hardly been an overwhelming success anyway if that's who we're trying to replicate.

Martin was drafted 2014.

23 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

What a joke of a post.

There are plenty of smart people who spent years in the NFL who have the same or similar feeling, such as Bill Polian and Rick Venturi.  Polian last week chastised Mike Wells during the ESPN mock draft for leaving Smith on the board when he took Nelson.  Venturi suggested that he really only considers guys who score the ball or knock down the QB to be "lottery" worthy.  Those are just two and if you look hard enough there will be others who share the same point of view.

You may disagree but that does not mean that @RomanianColtsFan is wildly off base with his thinking.  In fact Nelson caused a lot of positional value discussion on this board and throughout the draft season.

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

He says they weren't going to give up a second first rounder and he also says the Colts were set on picking their guy(Nelson) once he fell to them so the trade was impossible.

I was not aware the Sabres won the draft lottery. Dahlin and Eichel playing together next season should be fun.

13 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't really think the Cowboys comparison is apt. Since the Luck era began (2012 draft), the Colts are the Cowboys on steroids when it comes to spending day 1-2 picks on the OL.

DAL

2013 Travis Frederick, C, #31 pick (after a trade back 13 spots) 

2014 Zach Martin, OG, #16 pick

2018, Connor Williams, OG, #50 pick

IND

2013 Hugh Thornton, OG, #86 pick

2014 Jack Mewhort, OG, #59 pick

2016 Ryan Kelly, C, #18 pick

2016 LeRaven Clark, OT, #82 pick

2018 Quenton Nelson, OG, #6 pick (after a trade back 3 spots)

2018 Braden Smith, OG, #37 pick

And this doesn't include the half dozen or so other picks on day 4. The Cowboys have only made one day 4 pick.

That is a ton of draft capital invested in the OL. I just hope it finally works.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

What a joke of a post.

There are plenty of smart people who spent years in the NFL who have the same or similar feeling, such as Bill Polian and Rick Venturi.  Polian last week chastised Mike Wells during the ESPN mock draft for leaving Smith on the board when he took Nelson.  Venturi suggested that he really only considers guys who score the ball or knock down the QB to be "lottery" worthy.  Those are just two and if you look hard enough there will be others who share the same point of view.

You may disagree but that does not mean that @RomanianColtsFan is wildly off base with his thinking.  In fact Nelson caused a lot of positional value discussion on this board and throughout the draft season.

Bill Belichick is also one of those people as well. In 21 picks on day 1-2 since 2012, he has drafted 2 OL players (including Wynn this season). He seems to prefer rounds 4-5.

Nelson is a Colts now...and I can't wait to see if he lives up to the hype he has (deservedly) earned...but I am still fundamentally opposed to drafting a G that early. 

17 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That is a ton of draft capital invested in the OL. I just hope it finally works.

It's too much for my taste. It means we're neglecting other areas.

We've gone for the easy option in terms of fixing the line rather than following the conventional wisdom. I hope that we've finally fixed it though without being too weak in the areas where we've spent less resource.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

@RomanianColtsFan

From what I have seen the past couple days, there are many more who feel the Nelson pick was a slam dunk great pick.   He was considered one of the top 2 picks in the draft.   It was also a position of need for the Colts.  I think magnified with the Luck situation.   I love the pick.   This could be a new era for the Colts.  

On 4/29/2018 at 2:33 PM, ClaytonColt said:

It is like you can't comprehend that if the prior GM and coaching staff had picked well and developed their players your point would be moot.
 This is how THIS GM chooses to build One side of the trenches in the current circumstance.
He has 2 more drafts and FA periods to build a talented and deep roster.
We are in a very good spot to build a very talented, cohesive, o-line unit. That is a GREAT thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

What a joke of a post.

I was talking about his assertion that a guard doesnt have an impact on the game.

And Bill Polian woukd NEVER say something that ignorant.

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

It is like you can't comprehend that if the prior GM and coaching staff had picked well and developed their players your point would be moot.
 This is how THIS GM chooses to build One side of the trenches in the current circumstance.
He has 2 more drafts and FA periods to build a talented and deep roster.
We are in a very good spot to build a very talented, cohesive, o-line unit. That is a GREAT thing.

I can comprehend but maybe I'm just not happy with starting again and completely forgetting the players already on the roster. There's no real reason to discount it completely. 

You are correct though that if the existing players had been developed then we wouldn't be in this position.

I'm willing to give them time. 2 years is probably still what we'll need. 

I hope they get it right though because if we give Ballard 2 more years and he gets it wrong then we'll be in a very weak spot indeed.

It doesn't change my outlook that we seem yo be going about the rebuild in a way that I don't recall ever seeing work before. It's hardly an unfair point of view.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

This and the Tampa Bay trade down is why I'm happy Ballard didn't trade down.

In an interview during the draft John lynch said it was difficult to watch tape of McGlinchey, who he selected, because his eyes kept being drawn to Nelson.  He said he had to pretend he had blinders on. Pretty good stuff