Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

I would have chosen Smith at 6 or Rosen or Allen then Line in Round 2. For the Fans here who say rather have Nelson then Barkley or Chubb, stop drinking the Colts Kool-Aid and be objective, Anyone here who have loved Barkley or Chubb at 3. Of course the Colts winning another meaningless last season game cost them  to pick #2.

I can find you quotes from December and January where I know I said I wanted nelson over all others, even at 3....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Ya

Well done Ballard!   Two extra second round picks and the best offensive lineman we could have asked for.   Love this pick.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Wait, people seriously dislike this pick? This is the only place I've been on that has people hate this pick. What's going on? It's an amazing pick and the only player I would have wanted over Nelson was Smith. 

 

Strange things on this site my man........ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DougDew said:

They're gone.  They went about pick 19 and 22. 

 

My point was with all the talent left on the board, I'd be just as happy if we traded down once or twice more in the first and penciled one of them in as starting G.  If I got picks 53 and 56, I'd take Wynn at 12 if I really wanted to find a starting G in the first.  With the new uptempo, O, that change will reduce hits on Luck by about 50% alone, IMO. 

Hernandez is the top player left on brandts board, i have him higher than those two anyway 

 

better oline talent means he will get hit even less with the new scheme, and it will help the running game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Hernandez is the top player left on brandts board, i have him higher than those two anyway 

 

better oline talent means he will get hit even less with the new scheme, and it will help the running game.  

I think Wynn is a cant miss NFL starter and maybe not as big of a dropoff from Nelson as the others.  No wonder the Pats and their oline coach snatched him with their first pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think Wynn is a cant miss NFL starter and maybe not as big of a dropoff from Nelson as the others.  No wonder the Pats and their oline coach snatched him with their first pick.

its interesting the patriots took a guard and running back in the first round

 

i guess they are not too worried about lack of positional value 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Lol, why not?  It is a greater position of value.

 

Just wonder if you are aware that the running game is primarily won between the guards?
Also, if your QB will get the ball out quickly (lol Lucky) the outside pass rush becomes ineffective.

 I'm tickled because our play action just became so good.
 Whoever plays beside him will be more effective. Ball control just got better. The Defense will play less.
ANY RB playing behind him will be more effective.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its interesting the patriots took a guard and running back in the first round

 

i guess they are not too worried about lack of positional value 

 

Funny. Wynn is their new LT. And Michel is just one of the players that are of near equal value that falls between this draft's picks between 20-45. Right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

Funny. Wynn is their new LT. 

thats not confirmed, and he may not pan out there either 

 

i have no problems with running backs in the first round, but lots of others seem to

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

This is awesome. Draft a RB late and our run game should be set. People forget that Edge was drafted to the colts with an established offensive line. Get ready to see some major strides in the run game. 

What's a run game??:thmup:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its interesting the patriots took a guard and running back in the first round

 

i guess they are not too worried about lack of positional value 

Nah, pundits have said a lot of would be seconds would have to be picked in the 1st.  Besides, BB sees Brady not being around much longer and needs players who can start right away.  

 

Also, Michel isn't as big of a dropoff from Barkley and probably runs between the tackles just as well as him, and is clearly the second best RB (cant see at all why people think Guice is better than the pack). 

 

The Pats picked the right players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stitches said:

The left side of the O-line is becoming nasty! We still need a RT IMO, but the O-line is shaping up nicely. 

I think they'll put him at Right guard, or at least they should. Pass pro often slides to the blind side often leaving the RG and RT 1-on-1, thus necessarily calling for your best guard to ve on the right side IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved Nelson’s quote about grinding defenders down till they don’t wanna compete any more. All the way to the whistle. Need that kinda mentality on the line. Great keys to winning. Stop your opponents ground game. Be able to run the ball with authority when you need to. I like CB’s plan so far, he seems to be a man of his word. Nelson playing the pulling guard role in the near future will be fun to watch. Here’s to back to back great picks in the 2nd. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm trying to imagine what this forum would have looked like if Ballard HADN'T drafted Nelson when he was there at #6...

 

latest?cb=20130211175356

"WE HAVE TO PROTECT LUCK AND YOU PASS ON THE BEST OLINEMAN WE'LL PROBABLY EVER HAVE THE CHANCE TO DRAFT?!?!?!?  AAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!"

 

It wouldn't have mattered. We could have drafted my neighbor's cat and the Ballard disciples would have called it a great pick.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s what I find most interesting about the pick:

 

We just saw the deals handed out in FA. OL cashed in. Coaches and teams seem to be changing their mentality to make big FA signings rather than try to draft to fill holes along the line. 

 

When his rookie deal is up what kind of deal are we going to be looking at to keep him? Especially if he goes on to be as good or better as predicted?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

Very true, but pressure from the outside can be avoided better then pressure from the inside.  

Luck has to have room to step up to avoid the edge pressure. Weak guard play kills that option. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest concerns over drafting Nelson or anyone from that highly touted ND OL is the Miami game this year. By far the best DL ND played and the OL was dominated for 60 minutes.  If you watch the film from the game, Nelson was okay in that he held his own for the most part, but is that really what you want from your No 1 pick? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jackinbox said:

 

It wouldn't have mattered. We could have drafted my neighbor's cat and the Ballard disciples would have called it a great pick.

 

His agility is clearly unmatched by anyone else in the draft.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm sure this videos been posted on the forum before (Brett Kollmann makes some solid/concise breakdowns) but here's his video on Nelson. Worth the watch if you haven't seen it.
 

 

 

This was very interesting, especially the martial arts training and how that has helped his football skills.  I'll be there's a lot of parents of young linemen who will be signing their kid up now.

 

Great pick at #6 and he's going to be our rock on the OL for many years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Funny thing is, we may take Will Hernandez with an early 2nd rounder as well. He only has to fall 3 more picks.

And if so, one might surmise that the Colts will have the OG position solved for the next ten years.  I would be really happy about this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Here’s what I find most interesting about the pick:

 

We just saw the deals handed out in FA. OL cashed in. Coaches and teams seem to be changing their mentality to make big FA signings rather than try to draft to fill holes along the line. 

 

When his rookie deal is up what kind of deal are we going to be looking at to keep him? Especially if he goes on to be as good or better as predicted?

 

I honestly don't think it makes sense to look at it this way.  It might make sense to look at how you might have to pay big money to a bunch of guys at the same time, but when it's one guy?  If he's worth it we will pay him to keep him in the fold.

 

I think one thing to keep in mind with FA, some of the GM's like Ballard are hesitant to hand out big deals in FA that they wouldn't be so worried about handing out to their own players.  While I think Ballard is a little too conservative on this, the idea has some merits.  One is that the nature of FA creates a bidding war for top guys which overly inflates their value to numbers they likely wouldn't see if they just stay on their old teams.  Second is that when a guy changes a team, there is a risk that the change will hurt him and he will play worse.  Scheme changes, changes in coaching staff, environment could cause all this.  Bringing back your own players is substantially less risky.  

 

And so much can happen between now and 5 years from now.  I don't think it's sensible to worry about that.  Obviously we want a guy who's good enough that it's sensible to extend him to a significant contract in the future.  But I don't think you can take a guy in the draft while worrying about what you might have to pay him in 5 years.  That's IMO just a way to drive yourself into analysis paralysis.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I can find you quotes from December and January where I know I said I wanted nelson over all others, even at 3....

I recall seeing your posts saying this, and I also recall that your comments were completely in sync with my having expressed that the Colts should go Nelson at # 3, if they can't trade down.  I also said in a perfect world they would trade down ending up in spot # 6 and get three additional second rounders for doing so.  Difference was, I had theorized three trade downs to accomplish that. lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Here’s what I find most interesting about the pick:

 

We just saw the deals handed out in FA. OL cashed in. Coaches and teams seem to be changing their mentality to make big FA signings rather than try to draft to fill holes along the line. 

 

When his rookie deal is up what kind of deal are we going to be looking at to keep him? Especially if he goes on to be as good or better as predicted?

If I'm not mistaken, don't we have his rights for 5 years since he's a top pick?

 

At worse we tag him. If we get 6 or 7 years out of him before he leaves I'm fine. Andrew will be old by then and we'll have 2 or 3 rings by then.. hopefully. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I honestly don't think it makes sense to look at it this way.  It might make sense to look at how you might have to pay big money to a bunch of guys at the same time, but when it's one guy?  If he's worth it we will pay him to keep him in the fold.

 

I think one thing to keep in mind with FA, some of the GM's like Ballard are hesitant to hand out big deals in FA that they wouldn't be so worried about handing out to their own players.  While I think Ballard is a little too conservative on this, the idea has some merits.  One is that the nature of FA creates a bidding war for top guys which overly inflates their value to numbers they likely wouldn't see if they just stay on their old teams.  Second is that when a guy changes a team, there is a risk that the change will hurt him and he will play worse.  Scheme changes, changes in coaching staff, environment could cause all this.  Bringing back your own players is substantially less risky.  

 

And so much can happen between now and 5 years from now.  I don't think it's sensible to worry about that.  Obviously we want a guy who's good enough that it's sensible to extend him to a significant contract in the future.  But I don't think you can take a guy in the draft while worrying about what you might have to pay him in 5 years.  That's IMO just a way to drive yourself into analysis paralysis.  

 

I’m just saying. The trend in FA is in full effect. Teams are writing big, big checks for proven commodities. I’d hate to spend #6 on a guy that Ballard will let walk in 5 because he doesn’t want to write the big check others will be willing to. 

 

Ballard wants to keep his own, but I think he’s got a pretty set percentage of cap he wants to devote to each position, and it may take more than he will commit when the time comes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A quote I have read before, lifted from the NFL.com article about the Colts' pick of Nelson ...

 

"He's so unique because he's big, but he's not fat," one NFC team personnel executive told NFL Media Draft Analyst Lance Zierlein. "He's one of the best run blockers I've ever evaluated, but he's not a liability in pass protection Mike Iupati is. He's also an alpha who can bring and butt-kicking mindset into your position room."

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IinD said:

If I'm not mistaken, don't we have his rights for 5 years since he's a top pick?

 

At worse we tag him. If we get 6 or 7 years out of him before he leaves I'm fine. Andrew will be old by then and we'll have 2 or 3 rings by then.. hopefully. 

4 years with a 5th year option.  But the 5th year option will be significant.  I think it ends up being the average of the top 10 salaries or something at his position.

 

Something to keep in mind though is OL is together treated as one position.  So a lot of times, especially with the franchise tag it doesn't make financial sense to tag an Interior OL.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

4 years with a 5th year option.  But the 5th year option will be significant.  I think it ends up being the average of the top 10 salaries or something at his position.

 

Something to keep in mind though is OL is together treated as one position.  So a lot of times, especially with the franchise tag it doesn't make financial sense to tag an Interior OL.  

guards could start making big money in the future too, due to the oline "crisis"

 

we saw some of that this year in FA

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

 

I’m just saying. The trend in FA is in full effect. Teams are writing big, big checks for proven commodities. I’d hate to spend #6 on a guy that Ballard will let walk in 5 because he doesn’t want to write the big check others will be willing to. 

 

Ballard wants to keep his own, but I think he’s got a pretty set percentage of cap he wants to devote to each position, and it may take more than he will commit when the time comes. 

 

Ehh I'm not sure about that at all.  We had a ton of cap space with multiple places where we can't be spending near the cap percentage that he has in his head.  And yet he didn't spend.

 

I think Ballard is just conservative when it comes to bringing in guys from other teams.  Again I think it's a little too conservative because you have to take SOME risks.  But there is good reason to be cautious because of the reasons I mentioned.

 

If Ballard isn't willing to put the money on the table to keep talented players in house then he shouldn't be a GM anywhere.  

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

guards could start making big money in the future too, due to the oline "crisis"

 

we saw some of that this year in FA

 

Possibly.  And if that's true then that makes this pick look all the wiser.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing I love for this year is we have the old vet Slauson in there to add some more nasty to the group.  Slauson and Nelson with the mean streaks, then you also have Mewhort and Kelly.  Got more of a tough minded group this year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

 

I’m just saying. The trend in FA is in full effect. Teams are writing big, big checks for proven commodities. I’d hate to spend #6 on a guy that Ballard will let walk in 5 because he doesn’t want to write the big check others will be willing to. 

 

Ballard wants to keep his own, but I think he’s got a pretty set percentage of cap he wants to devote to each position, and it may take more than he will commit when the time comes. 

So you are worried that he will be too good and demand too much money in 2023?

I say we worry about that later.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...