Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Ya

Well done Ballard!   Two extra second round picks and the best offensive lineman we could have asked for.   Love this pick.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Lol, thanks for you support, man. I really didn’t mean to rain on anybody’s parade. And you are correct, it didn’t ruin my day, I just lost interest. I can’t stand how other teams pick players that can make a difference (good linebackers, pass rushers, wide receivers, DBs) while the Colts picked a future Pro Bowl guard that won’t make any difference between them winning and losing.

I lost interest, too. I turned the draft off. Lol. 

• Confused 2
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

:thmup:, so does John Hannah, Gene Upshaw, and Russ Grimm. Not only that Nate Newton says hi too :rock:

I'm fricken pumped!! I don't think people understand how much he is going to help. The dude is a fricken mauler. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Crazy talk.

The Titans beat writer wrote a tweet about what he thought the Titans hoped the Colts did and he said "they hope it's Nelson, he can't hurt our QB"..

Not that I want guys hurt, but that's where my head was at with that high end pick.

And now they can’t hurt ours,

• Like 2
1 hour ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

There were better options available. Nelson could very well become a great player, but he won’t have as much impact as some of the other positions. Drafting a guard this early is bad value. I’m very disappointed with this pick. This team won’t compete for a Super Bowl until we start drafting blue chip defensive players. 

Blue chip defensive players don't help you when your offense sucks.

• Like 1
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Randall McDaniel says hi too. I can actually list 20 Guards that have been Great.

I actually like Nelson, I just don't like him at 6.

Yes there are plenty of great guards, but how many have actually changed games to the same degree as other positions. I am glad the oline is going to be improved I just don't think it is going to so much more improved  with Nelson versus what another guard would have done. 

It doesn't matter ... it is what it is now ... glad we improved our line, but I think we left "draft value" on the table.

1 minute ago, esmort said:

Yes there are plenty of great guards, but how many have actually changed games to the same degree as other positions. I am glad the oline is going to be improved I just don't think it is going to so much more improved  with Nelson versus what another guard would have done. 

It doesn't matter ... it is what it is now ... glad we improved our line, but I think we left "draft value" on the table.

In reality and I said this all along, this draft was highly weak for game changers in my opinion. I thought only two guaranteed game wreckers/changers, Barkley and Bradley Chubb. Both of those were gone . 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Yes.

I for one think we just got a steal since he was expected to already be gone by 6 and he ended up being there Chubb and Barkley were gone he was the only logical pick left we need every OL position but center and Nelson is the best overall OL in the draft win/win.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, esmort said:

I understand where you are coming from so I don't want to sound like an butt haha. I just think Nelson will be Great and we need so much help on the O.Line. Also Wynn, Ragnow, and Price got drafted. Only Hernandez is left out of who everyone talked about us liking. Had we not took Nelson we would've ended up with none of these guys.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

U sure not being objective? Barkley and Chubb were higher rated.

For what it's worth, Mike Maylock said in the pre draft show that he ranked Nelson as the best all around football player in the entire draft of you ignore what position he plays. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Considering how good teams in our division can rush from the interior (especially Jacksonville), Nelson will do more than just open holes in the run game.

Andrew Luck is our best weapon too. Keep him upright and he will do special things.

It's like people forgot watching Vujo play. 

Forget draft value,  I feel like people are talking about buying toothpaste or something. 

Have people forgotten that QB guy is on the sideline? 

And,  it finally gives us somethingto go on with Ballard, he'll pick the best player,  even if it leaves 'value' on the table.  Whatever that even means. 

Get good players, he did that. I'm okay with pick #1.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

This pick is so underwhelming that I stopped following the whole draft. I just check the list when they are done. 

This guy, as impressive and good as he is, he is is not going to make any difference for Colts being a winning team. 

I’m very low on Ballard right now, and after the bad judgement he showed with McDaniels debacle, picking a guard at #6 can only make things worse.

As someone that has watched Nelson play every game the past 2 years, I can say that I'm very low on your ability to evaluate offensive line talent.

:D

With all the pressure that comes up the middle in today's NFL, and with the need to have talented guards that can pull to create a rushing offense, Nelson has the ability to make a gigantic impact.  He's going to help protect the franchise QB and hopefully he's going to help create a respectable running attack for the first time in the past 5-6 years.

In other words, cheer up.  Oh, and go watch some tape.  Not 4-minute YouTube highlight reels.  Entire games.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Very deep draft, but horrible for true game changers. Nobody even remotely close to a Von Miller.

After Barkley and Chubb were gone, we had to take Nelson. Couldn't waste another 5 years of Luck's career while waiting for Tremaine Edmunds or Marcus Davenport to develop.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, The Fish said:

Meh, you're supposed to take a difference maker at 6, not a Guard. The amount of draft capital in the o-line is now absurd and people are still saying "at least now they're going to protect Luck".. Yawn. We've thrown high picks at this problem before. 

I would have been happier with some D.

Thats what she said

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
7 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

good player, definitely didn't get much value for a 6th overall pick though

What the heck does that even mean?!?!

how is protecting the number 1 must have guy on the team(Luck) by selecting what experts claim is the best OL since 2000(Nelson) not getting value?!?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, csmopar said:

how is protecting the number 1 must have guy on the team(Luck) by selecting what experts claim is the best OL since 2000(Nelson) not getting value?!?

It's the buzzword of this draft it seems. It's like we're at the supermarket this year. 

From an unnamed nfc team exec...

He's so unique because he's big, but he's not fat

He's one of the best run blockers I've ever evaluated, but he's not a liability in pass protection like Mike Iupati is. He's also an alpha who can bring an butt-kicking mindset into your position room."

Yeah,  cuz we don't need that...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Lol, thanks for you support, man. I really didn’t mean to rain on anybody’s parade. And you are correct, it didn’t ruin my day, I just lost interest. I can’t stand how other teams pick players that can make a difference (good linebackers, pass rushers, wide receivers, DBs) while the Colts picked a future Pro Bowl guard that won’t make any difference between them winning and losing.

The Colts were worst in the league at protecting the QB last year, and 28th in running the football.  Sorry, but guys like Nelson are exactly the ones who make the difference between winning and losing.  

• Like 3

Love the pick. Crosses off all the check boxes:

- Best O-Lineman in the draft.

- Position of need protecting a once in a generation QB.

- Acquired despite trading back (who can say no to free picks?).

- Played at Notre Dame; surely passionate about Indiana.

- Practices martial arts.

Can you imagine having this guy next to Ryan Kelly? What more could you want?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

- Position of need.

We are close to having an O Line. 

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

There is little to no value in drafting guards in the top 10. It's has only happened twice since the year 2000, today and the cardinals in 2002. Guard is not a high value position i don't care if he is the best guard in the history of history

• Confused 5
10 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

- Position of need.

For them to actually be healthy

This is a great pick! The only argument against it is his position. However, given our inability to build an O line and the ramifications there of, I don't know how anyone could not be excited about getting the best interior lineman to come along in 2 decades. 

As for the idea that Building a Defense is the most important thing a team can do, doesn't it make sense that stopping other teams Defenses is just as important? That being said, no player in this draft is as good at countering the other teams Defense as Nelson.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

There is little to no value in drafting guards in the top 10. It's has only happened twice since the year 2000, today and the cardinals in 2002. Guard is not a high value position i don't care if he is the best guard in the history of history

Wrong

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1