Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6th overall pick Indianapolis Colts select Quenton Nelson G Notre Dame

TKnight24

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

You must have missed where I had been saying I wanted them to take Nelson all along.   Many others here said the same thing.   Nelson is a game changer.   The run will benefit as will the pass.  

No I did not miss how u wanted Nelson even at 3?, but you are going to tell me if we had picked Chubb or Barkley at 6, you be upset? Who do u want in rd. 2 fellow Colt fan

I was tempted by Jones since we need an MLB, but lets be honest.  Andrew Luck has been killed by our craptastic offensive line.  Presuming he's able to come back and play like he was before we need to put him behind some men who can keep him upright and off IR.  

A big part of that is being willing to part with some premium picks to get the best OL in front of him.

Remember also Nelson earned his draft status not only because he never let his man touch his quarterback for 2 straight years, but also because he was a freaking bull dozer in the run game.  Most of the guys available in the 2nd round are great at either run or pass blocking and just ok at the other.  Nelson is great at both.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

No I did not miss how u wanted Nelson even at 3?, but you are going to tell me if we had picked Chubb or Barkley at 6, you be upset? Who do u want in rd. 2 fellow Colt fan

I wouldn't be upset with Chubb or Barkely, but I still would have preferred Nelson. 

Those three 2nd round picks could be a number of players that i would be good with.   Landry would be nice to have on the defense.   A CB would be good as well.   I was hoping Ballard would sign CJ Anderson so that we didn't have to use a draft pick on a RB.

• Like 1

I was completely wrong about reading between the lines of ballar when he talked about starting guards being found in rounds 2-4.  

Quentin Nelson, excellent pick all indications are he is going to a baller for the Colts.

Like I said many times leading p to the draft.  I would have gone with Smith but I'm def. not disappointed with this pick.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Well they were both gone so what's it really matter?!? Immediate improvement for the offense. Helps give Luck more time to pass. Helps our run game. Dude with be a pro bowler for many years

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jaric said:

I don't understand how anyone wouldn't be thrilled by this.  For the last how many years now we've been complaining about the interior of the line?  Our franchise QB missed all last year because we couldn't protect him.  We haven't been able to run the ball since...geez I can't even remember when.  We draft an amazing prospect on the interior of the line, hopefully finally stabilizing our biggest weakspot and some of you are....

Upset about this?

I don’t disagree re: QN.  It’s one of our primary needs.

But I would say that it’s not just our interior OL people have (rightfully) been complaining about.  We’ve been losing a bunch of battles on the edge too.

8 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

good player, definitely didn't get much value for a 6th overall pick though

And with the 3rd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select GREAT VALUE!

OG Quenton Nelson - 1st Round # 6 over-all. (Best OL prospect in 2018 Draft)

? - 2nd Round # 37 over-all

? - 2nd Round # 49 over-all

? - 2nd Round 2019 # ? over-all

(Question marks to be filled in as the picks happen.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

But I would say that it’s not just our interior OL people have (rightfully) been complaining about.  We’ve been losing a bunch of battles on the edge too.

I completely agree with you. Though once Chubb was taken by the Broncos, we had to take Nelson. I'm honestly kinda shocked how the top ten turned out. Thanks to the Browns taking Ward at 4, we managed to get our guard. I figured they'd all be gone and we'd trade down. 

What I love about Nelson is he takes what he does personal.  He gets ticked off about somebody trying to hit his QB.  Much in the same way Andrew reacts when he throws an interception.  He's looking to take somebodys head off.  Something just clicks and he blacks out!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I just hope they go LB, DE, WR to add to the Nelson pick. 

Oh I'm definitely with you here now  I'd shocked if we didn't draft all of those positions sometime today or tomorrow.  Stoked for tonight.  I get that gaurds aren't sexy (except to maybe me) but think of it this way.

We didn't draft a gaurd, we drafted a way to keep Andrew Luck healthy.  And when Luck is healthy, we're a playoff team.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I wish I could dispute this lol.

38 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Very true, but pressure from the outside can be avoided better then pressure from the inside.  

8 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

There is little to no value in drafting guards in the top 10. It's has only happened twice since the year 2000, today and the cardinals in 2002. Guard is not a high value position i don't care if he is the best guard in the history of history

guards still go in the top 10 more often than will line backers do.  smith would have been even lower value by that logic 

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Very true, but pressure from the outside can be avoided better then pressure from the inside.  

So true. No avoiding a 320lb dude and making a play. That's only in the movies. 

I can care less about the perceived value. We got a guy who if healthy should turn out to be a Gold Jacket type player.  As much as people complain about failed draft picks and players who don't make to their 2nd contract. That should not be case with this kid. Very good step towards keeping Andrew upright and opening up our running game.  Not being able to run the ball is another key aspect of why we had to pass so much and expose the QB to more hits.   I can't complain on this pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

I can care less about the perceived value. We got a guy who if healthy should turn out to be a Gold Jacket type player.  As much as people complain about failed draft picks and players who don't make to their 2nd contract. That should not be case with this kid. Very good step towards keeping Andrew upright and opening up our running game.  Not being able to run the ball is another key aspect of why we had to pass so much and expose the QB to more hits.   I can't complain on this pick.

That's a fact and a great point.  Problem is you can probably say the same about Ragnow or Wynn.  There were a surprisingly high number of trades through the middle of round 1, so we probably could've gotten down to their spots from 12.  And have probably 2 more 2nds and 2 more 3rds.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's a fact and a great point.  Problem is you can probably say the same about Ragnow or Wynn.  There were a surprisingly high number of trades through the middle of round 1, so we probably could've gotten down to their spots from 12.  And have probably 2 more 2nds and 2 more 3rds.

I don't even care. He's on the team and will for sure be a benefit.

Water under the bridge at this point.  I still think he's(Ballard) going to pick up an extra pick or two at another point in the process. If and when that happens if we get solid players I'll be even more happy.

11 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

There were better options available. Nelson could very well become a great player, but he won’t have as much impact as some of the other positions. Drafting a guard this early is bad value. I’m very disappointed with this pick. This team won’t compete for a Super Bowl until we start drafting blue chip defensive players. 

lmao
We won't compete for a SB till we can score 35 points 3 Playoff games in a row against the better/best defenses in the league.
Better hope we draft this early again next year. I don't expect there are more than 12-15 players on yesterdays roster that will be here the next time we are real contenders in 2020 or after.

His impact will be immense.

10 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Lol, thanks for you support, man. I really didn’t mean to rain on anybody’s parade. And you are correct, it didn’t ruin my day, I just lost interest. I can’t stand how other teams pick players that can make a difference (good linebackers, pass rushers, wide receivers, DBs) while the Colts picked a future Pro Bowl guard that won’t make any difference between them winning and losing.

The mods will shut you down dude..... be careful here

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Problem is you can probably say the same about Ragnow or Wynn.  

we could take one of them too and have a really nasty oline.  i wouldnt be against that, mewhort and slauson are coming off serious injuries on prove it deals.  we were not going to fix both offense and defense in this draft 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

we could take one of them too and have a really nasty oline.  i wouldnt be against that, mewhort and slauson are coming off serious injuries on prove it deals.  we were not going to fix both offense and defense in this draft 

Funny thing is, we may take Will Hernandez with an early 2nd rounder as well. He only has to fall 3 more picks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RomanianColtsFan said:

Lol, thanks for you support, man. I really didn’t mean to rain on anybody’s parade. And you are correct, it didn’t ruin my day, I just lost interest. I can’t stand how other teams pick players that can make a difference (good linebackers, pass rushers, wide receivers, DBs) while the Colts picked a future Pro Bowl guard that won’t make any difference between them winning and losing.

You don't understand how football works?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

They're gone.  They went about pick 19 and 22. 

My point was with all the talent left on the board, I'd be just as happy if we traded down once or twice more in the first and penciled one of them in as starting G.  If I got picks 53 and 56, I'd take Wynn at 12 if I really wanted to find a starting G in the first.  With the new uptempo, O, that change will reduce hits on Luck by about 50% alone, IMO.