Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you give Dontari Poe the contract baltimore just gave Brandom Williams?

Most definitely, in a heartbeat.

Salary inflation is huge, as is salary cap inflation in the league now. See NBA contracts nowadays? 20 years ago, only players like MJ were getting $10 million a year or more. Nowadays, players like Timofey Mozgov are getting 5 years 75 million!

Poe is a legit NT, 3 down player, has ability to stop the run, rush the passer, and collapse the pocket. Not to mention he's only 26. Would be a far better signing than 2 RJFs. Him pretty much with no hands and no feet would be a better player than anyone we have right now.

Right now, nobody on the front 7 (except for maybe Anderson when healthy) remotely commands a double team.

3 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Salary inflation is huge, as is salary cap inflation in the league now. See NBA contracts nowadays? 20 years ago, only players like MJ were getting $10 million a year or more. Nowadays, players like Timofey Mozgov are getting 5 years 75 million!

Poe is a legit NT, 3 down player, has ability to stop the run, rush the passer, and collapse the pocket. Not to mention he's only 26. Would be a far better signing than 2 RJFs.

Right now, nobody on the front 7 (except for maybe Anderson when healthy) remotely commands a double team.

I would do it 5 minutes ago.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I'd imagine the answer has something to do with Eric Berry 

I'm sure that's part of it.   But have there been any rumors KC has even offered him anything?  Not a lot of talk about him at all among "insiders"

Just now, Legend of Luck said:

It's been stated over and over again that they couldn't afford him after the Berry deal.

They have money.   They could have offered him something.   If berry cost them their entire cap,  They are in a lot of trouble

I wouldn't give him 5 years, but the yearly average of around $10M wouldn't scare me so long as it's a short 2-3 year deal.  When healthy he's a force, but that back scares me.  At least if he's never the same player then you can get out of it owing less.  Besides, the guaranteed money is what counts anyway.  I would not commit more than about $20M TOPS.  Of course, the downside to that is if his back is alright and he ends up being a Pro-Bowler for you it is going to cost you twice that to re-sign him.  It's always a gamble in FA.

55 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would give it to Hankins .  He's 25 and Poe 27.  We would return him to NT where he belongs.  Poe would be my second choice.  Poe is more of a 3 down player but he has had injury issues.  Can't lose with either really but I prefer Hankins. 

I prefer poe because he's more effective in pass rushing, where as Hankins is known for his run defense. 

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Poe is a legit NT, 3 down player, has ability to stop the run, rush the passer, and collapse the pocket. Not to mention he's only 26. Would be a far better signing than 2 RJFs.

20 years ago MJ's salary was $33.1 m.  

I doubt many here have really seen Poe for an extended amount of games, but if he's truly legit and not just a name, I say pay him and get him in here.

Almost no big money players on this team to screw up the cap to badly even if he's a semi-disappointment. And it's not my money so who cares.

36 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I wouldn't give him 5 years, but the yearly average of around $10M wouldn't scare me so long as it's a short 2-3 year deal.  When healthy he's a force, but that back scares me.  At least if he's never the same player then you can get out of it owing less.  Besides, the guaranteed money is what counts anyway.  I would not commit more than about $20M TOPS.  Of course, the downside to that is if his back is alright and he ends up being a Pro-Bowler for you it is going to cost you twice that to re-sign him.  It's always a gamble in FA.

All these deals are essentially 2-3 yr deals.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

I doubt many here have really seen Poe for an extended amount of games, but if he's truly legit and not just a name, I say pay him and get him in here.

Almost no big money players on this team to screw up the cap to badly even if he's a semi-disappointment. And it's not my money so who cares.

I could get behind a backloaded deal or a 1 year deal for Poe.  The fact he's willing to sign a 1 year deal tells me he still believes he can play at a high level, which is a good sign.

4 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

I could get behind a backloaded deal or a 1 year deal for Poe.  The fact he's willing to sign a 1 year deal tells me he still believes he can play at a high level, which is a good sign.

And also like @BOTT said above deals nowadays are usually 1-3 year deals. Not many will cripple you long term. If I read he signed with us for 1 or 2 years at something like 12/13 per, it's big money for literally a season or two at most, if he's garbage he's of the books pretty quickly.

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

And also like @BOTT said above deals nowadays are usually 1-3 year deals. Not many will cripple you long term. If I read he signed with us for 1 or 2 years at something like 12/13 per, it's big money for literally a season or two at most, if he's garbage he's of the books pretty quickly.

Alright, I got yer deal for ya.  How about 2 yrs, $24M, $15M guaranteed?  Big money but short-term.  If he sux, he's gone in a year.  If not, restructure it to something more fitting his production.

Then again, I aint payin the bills. ;>}

17 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Alright, I got yer deal for ya.  How about 2 yrs, $24M, $15M guaranteed?  Big money but short-term.  If he sux, he's gone in a year.  If not, restructure it to something more fitting his production.

Then again, I aint payin the bills. ;>}

That's my logic as well. I get not wanting to cripplle the franchise, but we really have no huge contracts right now. May as well try to get better if you can.

People getting to worked up about money right now. I can't think of a crippling contract besides Luck if he was to fall off a cliff obviously. 

Paying big for a couple years on some impact guys I think is justified. Can't fix all the holes in one or two drafts.

One thing that strikes me is that, outside of the Chiefs, Ballard probably knows him the best.  And if he hasn't made a move on him then that would tell me he isn't worth what he's asking for.  It is still very early yet in FA, but the longer this goes, the more I'm thinking he isn't worth the risk.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Absolutely.

Problem is that Poe will likely get a fair bit more than that.

I'd draw the line at 5/60m. Anything more and it's just not worth it.

Yeah, we have the money to spend on a few key free agents. I do think an NT is definitely in our cards and that would the line in the sand drawn that you mention of.

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

They have money.   They could have offered him something.   If berry cost them their entire cap,  They are in a lot of trouble

No, they do not have money.  They have 174mm in salary cap allocated for 2017 today.  They had the money to sign one of them and chose Berry, end of story.

KC also has a younger guy in Chris Jones who looked better last year than Poe and does not have all the back issues.  His health and asking price are things keeping him away from teams IMO.  Ballard has shown so far that he will go for a smart contract versus just throwing the bank at a guy.

27 minutes ago, wig said:

No, they do not have money.  They have 174mm in salary cap allocated for 2017 today.  They had the money to sign one of them and chose Berry, end of story.

They only have 7.3 m of cap space left this year according to otc.