Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12isthenew18

Would you give Dontari Poe the contract baltimore just gave Brandom Williams?

Recommended Posts

Most definitely, in a heartbeat.

 

Salary inflation is huge, as is salary cap inflation in the league now. See NBA contracts nowadays? 20 years ago, only players like MJ were getting $10 million a year or more. Nowadays, players like Timofey Mozgov are getting 5 years 75 million!

 

Poe is a legit NT, 3 down player, has ability to stop the run, rush the passer, and collapse the pocket. Not to mention he's only 26. Would be a far better signing than 2 RJFs. Him pretty much with no hands and no feet would be a better player than anyone we have right now.

 

Right now, nobody on the front 7 (except for maybe Anderson when healthy) remotely commands a double team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Most definitely, in a heartbeat.

 

Salary inflation is huge, as is salary cap inflation in the league now. See NBA contracts nowadays? 20 years ago, only players like MJ were getting $10 million a year or more. Nowadays, players like Timofey Mozgov are getting 5 years 75 million!

 

Poe is a legit NT, 3 down player, has ability to stop the run, rush the passer, and collapse the pocket. Not to mention he's only 26. Would be a far better signing than 2 RJFs.

 

Right now, nobody on the front 7 (except for maybe Anderson when healthy) remotely commands a double team.

I would do it 5 minutes ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.

Poe didn't have a great season, and with his back problems it's no guarantee he'll be the same player he was.

From the last I saw, teams were only wanting to give Poe a 1 year deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 12isthenew18 said:

The contract by the way is 5/54m. 

Have you asked yourself,  why hasn't KC offered him a contract?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I would do it 5 minutes ago.

You want to over pay everyone in FA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jvan1973 said:

Have you asked yourself,  why hasn't KC offered him a contract?

I'd imagine the answer has something to do with Eric Berry 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I'd imagine the answer has something to do with Eric Berry 

I'm sure that's part of it.   But have there been any rumors KC has even offered him anything?  Not a lot of talk about him at all among "insiders"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Have you asked yourself,  why hasn't KC offered him a contract?

 

It's been stated over and over again that they couldn't afford him after the Berry deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Legend of Luck said:

 

It's been stated over and over again that they couldn't afford him after the Berry deal.

They have money.   They could have offered him something.   If berry cost them their entire cap,  They are in a lot of trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would give it to Hankins .  He's 25 and Poe 27.  We would return him to NT where he belongs.  Poe would be my second choice.  Poe is more of a 3 down player but he has had injury issues.  Can't lose with either really but I prefer Hankins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't give him 5 years, but the yearly average of around $10M wouldn't scare me so long as it's a short 2-3 year deal.  When healthy he's a force, but that back scares me.  At least if he's never the same player then you can get out of it owing less.  Besides, the guaranteed money is what counts anyway.  I would not commit more than about $20M TOPS.  Of course, the downside to that is if his back is alright and he ends up being a Pro-Bowler for you it is going to cost you twice that to re-sign him.  It's always a gamble in FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would give it to Hankins .  He's 25 and Poe 27.  We would return him to NT where he belongs.  Poe would be my second choice.  Poe is more of a 3 down player but he has had injury issues.  Can't lose with either really but I prefer Hankins. 

 

I prefer poe because he's more effective in pass rushing, where as Hankins is known for his run defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Most definitely, in a heartbeat.

 

Salary inflation is huge, as is salary cap inflation in the league now. See NBA contracts nowadays? 20 years ago, only players like MJ were getting $10 million a year or more. Nowadays, players like Timofey Mozgov are getting 5 years 75 million!

 

Poe is a legit NT, 3 down player, has ability to stop the run, rush the passer, and collapse the pocket. Not to mention he's only 26. Would be a far better signing than 2 RJFs.

 

Right now, nobody on the front 7 (except for maybe Anderson when healthy) remotely commands a double team.

 

20 years ago MJ's salary was $33.1 m.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt many here have really seen Poe for an extended amount of games, but if he's truly legit and not just a name, I say pay him and get him in here.

 

Almost no big money players on this team to screw up the cap to badly even if he's a semi-disappointment. And it's not my money so who cares.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I wouldn't give him 5 years, but the yearly average of around $10M wouldn't scare me so long as it's a short 2-3 year deal.  When healthy he's a force, but that back scares me.  At least if he's never the same player then you can get out of it owing less.  Besides, the guaranteed money is what counts anyway.  I would not commit more than about $20M TOPS.  Of course, the downside to that is if his back is alright and he ends up being a Pro-Bowler for you it is going to cost you twice that to re-sign him.  It's always a gamble in FA.

All these deals are essentially 2-3 yr deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IinD said:

I doubt many here have really seen Poe for an extended amount of games, but if he's truly legit and not just a name, I say pay him and get him in here.

 

Almost no big money players on this team to screw up the cap to badly even if he's a semi-disappointment. And it's not my money so who cares.

 

I could get behind a backloaded deal or a 1 year deal for Poe.  The fact he's willing to sign a 1 year deal tells me he still believes he can play at a high level, which is a good sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

 

I could get behind a backloaded deal or a 1 year deal for Poe.  The fact he's willing to sign a 1 year deal tells me he still believes he can play at a high level, which is a good sign.

And also like @BOTT said above deals nowadays are usually 1-3 year deals. Not many will cripple you long term. If I read he signed with us for 1 or 2 years at something like 12/13 per, it's big money for literally a season or two at most, if he's garbage he's of the books pretty quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IinD said:

And also like @BOTT said above deals nowadays are usually 1-3 year deals. Not many will cripple you long term. If I read he signed with us for 1 or 2 years at something like 12/13 per, it's big money for literally a season or two at most, if he's garbage he's of the books pretty quickly.

Alright, I got yer deal for ya.  How about 2 yrs, $24M, $15M guaranteed?  Big money but short-term.  If he sux, he's gone in a year.  If not, restructure it to something more fitting his production.

 

Then again, I aint payin the bills. ;>}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Alright, I got yer deal for ya.  How about 2 yrs, $24M, $15M guaranteed?  Big money but short-term.  If he sux, he's gone in a year.  If not, restructure it to something more fitting his production.

 

Then again, I aint payin the bills. ;>}

That's my logic as well. I get not wanting to cripplle the franchise, but we really have no huge contracts right now. May as well try to get better if you can.

 

People getting to worked up about money right now. I can't think of a crippling contract besides Luck if he was to fall off a cliff obviously. 

 

 

Paying big for a couple years on some impact guys I think is justified. Can't fix all the holes in one or two drafts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

No,  I don't have 54 million dollars

 

Ok sheesh, 52 million then.....  Stop being stingy with your $ J!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd do it with less years but either way its a huge need and he's a great talent IF his back checks out yes please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that strikes me is that, outside of the Chiefs, Ballard probably knows him the best.  And if he hasn't made a move on him then that would tell me he isn't worth what he's asking for.  It is still very early yet in FA, but the longer this goes, the more I'm thinking he isn't worth the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely.

 

Problem is that Poe will likely get a fair bit more than that.

 

I'd draw the line at 5/60m. Anything more and it's just not worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Absolutely.

 

Problem is that Poe will likely get a fair bit more than that.

 

I'd draw the line at 5/60m. Anything more and it's just not worth it.

 

Yeah, we have the money to spend on a few key free agents. I do think an NT is definitely in our cards and that would the line in the sand drawn that you mention of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

They have money.   They could have offered him something.   If berry cost them their entire cap,  They are in a lot of trouble

 

No, they do not have money.  They have 174mm in salary cap allocated for 2017 today.  They had the money to sign one of them and chose Berry, end of story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KC also has a younger guy in Chris Jones who looked better last year than Poe and does not have all the back issues.  His health and asking price are things keeping him away from teams IMO.  Ballard has shown so far that he will go for a smart contract versus just throwing the bank at a guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably can go with Bennie Logan, Hankins, or even an old head like Paul Soliai for cheaper.  Soliai has always been very tough against the run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, wig said:

 

No, they do not have money.  They have 174mm in salary cap allocated for 2017 today.  They had the money to sign one of them and chose Berry, end of story.

They only have 7.3 m of cap space left this year according to otc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's been said before, but Ballard knows better than anyone out there how Poe is and we'll find out how hard he goes after him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, he has been average lately

 

not convinced he's a big enough upgrade from parry to spend like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

They only have 7.3 m of cap space left this year according to otc. 

True but they could have made the room if they really wanted him. There was talk about restructuring maclin and making a few cuts to accomodate him at one point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SaturdayAllDay said:

True but they could have made the room if they really wanted him. There was talk about restructuring maclin and making a few cuts to accomodate him at one point. 

do that and plus have enough for draft picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Something I noticed last week is they used him at WR. Hoyer just flat out missed him. I think Jacoby will have better luck with him. I do think we haven’t used him enough.
    • And post season, if necessary.   "Garrett's indefinite suspension is at a minimum for the remainder of the regular season and postseason. He must meet with the commissioner's office before a decision is made on his reinstatement, and he was fined an additional amount, the NFL said."   "Garrett violated unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct rules, as well as fighting, removing the helmet of an opponent and using the helmet as a weapon," the league said in a statement.    
    • Polian had the following talent using the following picks:   Manning: 1st overall Harrison: 1st (by Tobin) Glenn: 1st (by Tobin) Wayne: 1st James: 1st Addai: 1st Clark: 1st Freeney: 1st Marlin Jackson: 1st Sanders: 2nd Hayden: 2nd.   That's much better talent than the players you mention above, and we only won one SB during all of those years it took to assemble that 1st round talent.   Using that as a comparison, Ballard has a long way to go in terms of how many years it will take, not to mention being set back by having to replace his version of Glenn and Harrison soon. (AC and TY)  
    • I think that was the issue Tannehill was proving to not be a cornerstone, same with Tunsil.  Fitzpatrick may have been. No doubt.  And Miami would feel duped like the Colts did after trading for T. Richardson or signing Corey Simon.
    • Man, I think you gotta give Rudolph something.  He turned that situation into a brawl in the first place.    Deal with Garrett, I think an indefinite is a bit extreme but a 4 game suspension, which IS fair, would be most of the rest of the season so w/e.   But Rudolph was the one who took it there.  Garrett's overreaction shouldn't completely negate Rudolph's consequences.  you can't protect quarterbacks if they're going to do stupid crap like he did then try to hide behind the NFL when angry football players come after them.   What Rudolph did was absolutely cowardly and it absolutely provoked what Garrett did.  I'd give him at least 1 game.
  • Members

    • Qwiz

      Qwiz 3,726

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 07dleigh

      07dleigh 7

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ManningGM

      ManningGM 597

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 9,094

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsBlueFL

      ColtsBlueFL 5,874

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HerkeyHorseshoe

      HerkeyHorseshoe 10

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HoosierHero

      HoosierHero 1

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mr.Debonair

      Mr.Debonair 2,101

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Lef

      Lef 210

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 5,312

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...