Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can be done to be a contender next season?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, colts52761 said:

get a defensive head coach that likes the 4-3

How does an entire scheme change, essentially making the few defensive players we have wasted picks make us contenders next year? a scheme change takes years to undergo and the few players we have on defense aren't suited for the switch. 

Better figure out how to fix this defense who is allowing to many points. stay with the game plan again when you have a RB running 4.5 to 5 yards a carry and the defense you are playing are a top ten against the pass. and your game plan is to throw deep on almost every play,this is the reason why luck is getting sacked 4 to 5 times a game 

I don't know if Chuck Pagano will ever be a successful HC in the NFL.  But I'm quite certain that Ryan Grigson will never be a successful GM in the NFL.

Irsay should make a concerted effort to hire a new GM -- and that GM's name should be Peyton Manning.

Let his first decision as PM to be a full evaluation of our coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don't know if Chuck Pagano will ever be a successful HC in the NFL.  But I'm quite certain that Ryan Grigson will never be a successful GM in the NFL.

Irsay should make a concerted effort to hire a new GM -- and that GM's name should be Peyton Manning.

I'd be down with this.

Next season?  Def no where close to being anything other than an obstacle to a winning team. We are years away from having the kind of talent needed to have a decent D. No pass rushers, no true run stuffing DL, no LB who can tackle or cover a TE, only one CB who can stay with a receiver. Need talent on every level and you can't do that in one offseason.

With our OL, we can't depend on this O to score 30-40 per game to win on a consistent basis

8 minutes ago, tomloge said:

And why is it dumb?  The team blows big time.  I guess you want to maintain the status quo.  Enjoy the rest of this season, LOL

We largely suck due to fixable issues. Different coaching, better health, better blocking and better pass rush and were a much much different team 

I've accepted that this season is over. Hence the thread asking about next season

I honestly believe Irsay is going to keep one of Pagano and Grigson. I pray he doesn't keep both. We have about 60 million in cap space. We can sign 2 or 3 top free agents. 

Top needs: HC,HC, HC, OLB,ILB, CB, LT

1.) Fire Pagano. Hire a coach that has experience. Who will lite a fire under our players ... can't keep saying good job and patting them on the back for a missed tackle, holding call, or a dropped pass. Horrible coaching.  NO discipline. I feel like Gruden would love to have the chance to work with Luck. 

2.) Trade Anthony Castonzo for a 3rd or 4th round pick or move him to RT. If we keep him. Sign a RG or RT. Start Joe Haeg at the other vacant spot. Our rookies will develop. Move Mewhort to LT. I think with a whole offseason of playing LT, he could be a top 10 LT. 

3. Sign one of Dont'a Hightower or Jamie Collins this offseason. I don't expect NE to resign both of them. I would go all out to get one of them. They are both very good at covering the flat and big TE's. 

4. Find a play-making MLB that can cover. We are getting killed by RB's and TE's. I expect us to start one of either Edwin Jackson or D'Quell Jackson next season. Find the other starter via free agency or the draft. 

5.) Draft a CB in the first round of the draft if we sign a MLB and OLB. Or sign one of Trumaine Johnson or Stephen Gilmore. 

6.) draft a RB in the third round to play behind frank gore for his final year. 

I believe we could be SB contenders with a few added playmakers and a good coach. 

Its not that hard. Here's why....We have Andrew Luck, 60 million in cap room, probably high draft picks in each round, and a few good pieces here and there such as Hilton, Moncrief, Doyle, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Davis, Anderson, Geathers, etc, etc, etc.... So.....

1) New GM and entire Coaching staff

2) Actually go all in in free agency and land 2-3 superstar caliber players

3) Hit big in the draft

Do everything it takes to get Harbaugh outta Michigan.

Go all in in free agency. Land one of Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, or Nick Perry. Sign Stephon Gilmore or the next best CB available. Sign an ILB like Zach Brown.

So we'll have a high pick (top 10) Get the best EDGE rusher available, then get an ILB with some coverage skills, and a RB.

If we do things right we WILL compete next season. No reason we cant.

12 minutes ago, OHColtfan said:

. We are years away from having the kind of talent needed to have a decent D.

With Grigson, sure.  Bring in someone who knows what they're doing and one draft and a few quality pieces in free agency could make a big difference.  Believe it or not, it doesn't take every GM 8 years to build an average defense.

This team lacks discipline (too many penalties) and BASIC football fundamentals. (like tackling among others) I wonder what they work on in practice. Against BAD teams you can pull out wins (sometimes) with those flaws but against the upper tier teams you will be exposed from the staff down to the players. Of course the Colts STILL have a pulse simply because of the division but a clean house in the front office and coaching staff is NEEDED as this team CONTINUES to regress.

27 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Can we stop with Manning lust? He has almost zero qualifications for the job.  Although he might  be a step up from Grigson.

Grigsby has missed on so many FAs and draft choices that the roster is depleted. Especially on defense. I look at Phillip Dorset our first rounder. Practically invisible. Compare to KCs Tareek Hill a 5th round rookie who starred in the game. Just one example. For some reason they are enamored with Josh Ferguson.  Why???

5 minutes ago, GoBlue12 said:

Grigsby has missed on so many FAs and draft choices that the roster is depleted. Especially on defense. I look at Phillip Dorset our first rounder. Practically invisible. Compare to KCs Tareek Hill a 5th round rookie who starred in the game. Just one example. For some reason they are enamored with Josh Ferguson.  Why???

Yes the Josh Ferguson thing literally drives me nuts. . . . The dude is a walking disaster.