Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What can be done to be a contender next season?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, tomloge said:

what I said 2 years ago.   tear the entire team apart and start from scratch.  People ridiculed me for that post.  I was right on the money.  I think a pee-wee team of 8 year olds could beat this team.

I agree with you 110% They should have done it the day they drafted Andrew Luck !!!!

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

of course its a team game.  gurley would have been a good choice for dallas too but I don't think he was on the board when they picked

the point is that Elliot is doing more to help his team win than jalen ramsay is for the jags

you could put an average back on the cowboys and they would do well.  Elliot is doing better than that though, hes the leagues leading rusher

dax had a bad day passing last night too, but Elliot had almost 130 total yards.  he is doing quite a lot for that team.  he is also a very good blocker and receiver

Elliot was the right pick for the cowboys

My point was, it's the offensive line....and good QB play.  Todd Guely is probably more talented than Elliott, but can't do squat because of what surrepunnds him. The cowboys probably could have just brought back Murray and gotten the same result.

21 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah, Houston is bad. But now they get to reap the benefits of the bad AFC south. They're 2 games up plus own the tie breaker. And Indy has the following schedule. @ GB, TEN, PIT, @ NYJ, HOU, @ MIN, @ OAK, JAX.

At best they go 4-4. And even if by some chance they go 6-2 (which would involve beating at least two of Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Oakland and Minnesota), that's still 9-7. Houston and/or Tennessee will likely match/beat that, judging by their schedules.

Tenn isnt doing anything because they never do. Houston is hosting the SB ,its already given that the decline will happen.

GB is beat up.

I don't think we can be a contender next season. I thought we could be one this season with all the change of scenery at the coordinators. I expected different looks and some playt calling that would play to this teams strengths. What I found was more of the same garbage I've seen since 2013. While it's entirely possible a new coach and GM would really get this team back on track, I don't think the damage can be un-done that was done here during the Pagano / Grigson era.

On 10/30/2016 at 3:49 PM, Mr Clueless said:

"Contender" and "next season" cannot be used in the same sentence when it comes to the 2016 Colts.

I think this is a bit of a stretch. I understand where you are coming from but let us consider a few things that the colts are doing that could be cleaned up in one offseason that would make the colts a contender next season.

First, penalties. I am hard pressed to remember a season where we committed so many penalties. I believe we are first in committed penalties/yards per game. How many touchdowns and turnovers have been called back because of penalties? Fix this and it changes the outcome of how many games?

Second, tackling. This is simply atrocious. I am not sure where we rank in terms of missed tackles but it has to be at the bottom of the league. Again, I do not recall seeing such poor tackling even with the crappy defenses the colts have had in the past.

Third, dropped passes. We have 19 dropped passes, the most in the league. How many times has a dropped pass cost us a FG instead of a TD, cost us first downs, or running out the clock to seal the game?

Fixing these three things would have won us how many more games this year? How many more points would we have scored and eliminated our opponents scoring on us? These things can be fixed in one offseason and would certainly help make the colts a contender next season. If we had the fewest penalties, missed tackles, and dropped passes in the league this year we are probably what 5-3, 6-2?

-That is contending.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

My point was, it's the offensive line....and good QB play.  Todd Guely is probably more talented than Elliott, but can't do squat because of what surrepunnds him. The cowboys probably could have just brought back Murray and gotten the same result.

murray is the leagues second leading rusher behind another good line in Tennessee.   we know he could have done well in dallas.  they could not afford him though, it came down to tagging either him or dez bryant.  elliot was drafted a year after murray left

i found some quick stats that are interesting

in 2014 murray lead the league in rushing and dallas was second overall as a team

in 2015 they ran by committee and were ninth overall.  the teams at the top had 100 more rushing attempts than the cowboys. 

right now Dallas is third overall, and the two teams above them have both played one more game

elliot and the cowboys are leading the league in yards per game, and that did not necessarily happen with mid tier running backs behind the leagues best line.  he gives them the consistency they didnt have with guys like morris and their other free agents.  elliot is also a very good pass blocker and a decent receiver

21 hours ago, aaron11 said:

murray is the leagues second leading rusher behind another good line in Tennessee.   we know he could have done well in dallas.  they could not afford him though, it came down to tagging either him or dez bryant.  elliot was drafted a year after murray left

i found some quick stats that are interesting

in 2014 murray lead the league in rushing and dallas was second overall as a team

in 2015 they ran by committee and were ninth overall.  the teams at the top had 100 more rushing attempts than the cowboys. 

right now Dallas is third overall, and the two teams above them have both played one more game

elliot and the cowboys are leading the league in yards per game, and that did not necessarily happen with mid tier running backs behind the leagues best line.  he gives them the consistency they didnt have with guys like morris and their other free agents.  elliot is also a very good pass blocker and a decent receiver

I meant bring back Murray this offseason. He was a FA.

It's amazing how much better we would be if we had a RB that had speed = capable of breaking huge runs at any time, 1 LB that cover the pass consistently, and just 1 Good Pass Rusher - doesn't even have to be Great, just Good like Leonard Floyd is now. If we had that we would've never lost against Jacks or Houston IMO and we would be in 1st place in our Division at 5-3 at worse. That is 3 key players we need, hopefully in the Draft we get a couple LB's and get lucky and get a steal at RB like in 4th or 5th or so.

35 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I meant bring back Murray this offseason. He was a FA.

thats not true, murray signed a 5 year deal with the eagles last season after they missed out on Gore when he came here at the last minute.  DM was traded to Tennessee this last off season.  the titans only gave up a 4th for him and they took on his contract. 

the eagles were not going to trade him back to dallas, their division rival where he lead the league in rushing

31 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats not true, murray signed a 5 year deal with the eagles last season after they missed out on Gore when he came here at the last minute.  DM was traded to Tennessee this last off season.  the titans only gave up a 4th for him and they took on his contract. 

the eagles were not going to trade him back to dallas, their division rival where he lead the league in rushing

My bad. I was thinking he was cut or something.

still wouldn't have taken Elliot #4 lol

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:57 PM, COLTS449 said:

Its not that hard. Here's why....We have Andrew Luck, 60 million in cap room, probably high draft picks in each round, and a few good pieces here and there such as Hilton, Moncrief, Doyle, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Davis, Anderson, Geathers, etc, etc, etc.... So.....

1) New GM and entire Coaching staff

2) Actually go all in in free agency and land 2-3 superstar caliber players

3) Hit big in the draft

Do everything it takes to get Harbaugh outta Michigan.

Go all in in free agency. Land one of Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, or Nick Perry. Sign Stephon Gilmore or the next best CB available. Sign an ILB like Zach Brown.

So we'll have a high pick (top 10) Get the best EDGE rusher available, then get an ILB with some coverage skills, and a RB.

If we do things right we WILL compete next season. No reason we cant.

I concur, good post

On 10/30/2016 at 4:57 PM, COLTS449 said:

Its not that hard. Here's why....We have Andrew Luck, 60 million in cap room, probably high draft picks in each round, and a few good pieces here and there such as Hilton, Moncrief, Doyle, Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, Davis, Anderson, Geathers, etc, etc, etc.... So.....

1) New GM and entire Coaching staff

2) Actually go all in in free agency and land 2-3 superstar caliber players

3) Hit big in the draft

Do everything it takes to get Harbaugh outta Michigan.

Go all in in free agency. Land one of Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, or Nick Perry. Sign Stephon Gilmore or the next best CB available. Sign an ILB like Zach Brown.

So we'll have a high pick (top 10) Get the best EDGE rusher available, then get an ILB with some coverage skills, and a RB.

If we do things right we WILL compete next season. No reason we cant.

That's all?

Good one.

On 10/30/2016 at 1:38 PM, luv_pony_express said:

I don't know if Chuck Pagano will ever be a successful HC in the NFL.  But I'm quite certain that Ryan Grigson will never be a successful GM in the NFL.

Irsay should make a concerted effort to hire a new GM -- and that GM's name should be Peyton Manning.

Let his first decision as PM to be a full evaluation of our coaching staff.

Oh, Dear God......       now we have to explain things to the new posters.....

OK,   here we go....

Ryan Grigson:

2012:   11-5,  make playoff first year

Voted;  NFL Executive of the Year.  

2013:   11-5,  AFC South Champions.    1-1 in playoffs

2014:    11-5  AFC South Champions,    2-1 in playoffs; reach AFC Championship game.

2015:     8-8  with 5 different quarterbacks, Luck misses 9 of 16 games.

I hate to break this to you,  but Ryan Grigson has been a success as a GM in the NFL in his first four years.   This is the first year that he hasn't been.

Those are the facts.

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, Dear God......       now we have to explain things to the new posters.....

OK,   here we go....

Ryan Grigson:

2012:   11-5,  make playoff first year

Voted;  NFL Executive of the Year.  

2013:   11-5,  AFC South Champions.    1-1 in playoffs

2014:    11-5  AFC South Champions,    2-1 in playoffs; reach AFC Championship game.

2015:     8-8  with 5 different quarterbacks, Luck misses 9 of 16 games.

I hate to break this to you,  but Ryan Grigson has been a success as a GM in the NFL in his first four years.   This is the first year that he hasn't been.

Those are the facts.

Yeah but hating him and calling for him to be fired every week is hip.

On 10/31/2016 at 1:27 PM, BOTT said:

Their line is great, he has gigantic holes to run through. But man that guy is fast, he gets to the second level before the LBs even have time to react. I think I read the other day he's on pace for 1,800 yards or something like that?

On October 30, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Malakai432 said:

I'm going to go with. . . . . .

I have no #@)(@ clue!

Just the way you set that response up was hysterical to me man & then the punchline... haha

You have a gift for sarcasm M-432. Seriously, you just do as in you came outta the womb with it. 

On 10/31/2016 at 2:39 PM, braveheartcolt said:

I remember a few years ago, this forum was crying out to scrap the 4-3, and go 3-4. Perhaps getting some decent defensive minds on the staff would be a better option, whatever the formation.

I don't think the scheme was the issue with 4-3 nor is the scheme itself the issue now with the 3-4.

When the Colts had the 4-3 it was a defense that needed the lead in order to stop somebody. I think the thought was that a move to the 3-4 meant the Colts would build a dominate defense while having a less explosive offense.

Obviously, it hasn't worked out like that.

The Colts have used a lot of resources on offense. If they are going to continue to do so then they probably have to look to go back to some version of the 4-3 defense. It appears you can build a good 4-3 defense using less resources than it requires to build a good 3-4 defense. 

However, if the Colts continue to strike out on personnel decisions then it will not matter what scheme they use.

On October 31, 2016 at 9:39 AM, weslo1812 said:

Untill half the team is injured by the first week of the season, which seems to happen every single season. We constantly have numerous guys getting injured and missing games, and they are starters too. I hate to say it but I can't even really be that happy about signing a big FA or even draft pick because with how things go for us, they are likely headed for an injury. I would really like to know why this is a constant trend for us because it's sooo upsetting.

Absolutely right W1812. I want an NFL writer to do a lengthy article on which teams have the best strength & conditioning coaches & grab an athletic trainer/nutritionist/fitness expert that can dramatically reduce our IR numbers week to week. 

It's been a problem here for yrs...more like an eternity if you ask me. 

On October 30, 2016 at 4:05 PM, BOTT said:

Can we stop with Manning lust? He has almost zero qualifications for the job.

I did a double take when I read that BOTT. Yeah, I figured out what you meant once I slowed down & zeroed in on your post. True, no one can assume Peyton would make a decent front office executive breaking down talent correctly or running an offense without playing anymore. 

Manning lust sounds like the sheriff is stepping out on Ashley or something. No disrespect 18. My mind just went there sorry. My bad. I agree though. Peyton has no business being considered as either our next GM or OC. Game action & sideline patrolling are 2 totally different animals. Besides, Peyton deserves like 2 yrs off to just do whatever the hades he wants with no guidelines or restrictions IMO. He's earned down time man. 

On October 31, 2016 at 4:03 PM, unvrsty07 said:

First, penalties. I am hard pressed to remember a season where we committed so many penalties. I believe we are first in committed penalties/yards per game. How many touchdowns and turnovers have been called back because of penalties? Fix this and it changes the outcome of how many games?

Don't take this the wrong way u07, but have you seen any of Chuck Pagano's post press conferences since he was hired in 2012? He's been preaching this cutting down on the mistakes from day 1 & yet this problem keeps rearing it's ugly head week to week in 2016. Maybe players are tuning him out now. 

I'm not saying your point isn't a good one just that eventually coaches get let go when enough little things become 1 enormous trend in the wrong direction. This isn't the same thing as when Tony Dungy told our defense he was gonna 'do less' as a coaching staff in 2006 when we couldn't stop anybody on the ground during our Championship run either BTW. 

Start with your cornerstones, QB(check), LT(maybe), and Pass Rushers(get in draft).  Maybe Haeg is our next LT.  Mudd, Grigson and others have noticed his talent.  We need 2 pass rushers.  Draft one and make smart FA pick.

Mathis said we need discipline to clean up penalties.  He Is right.  Pagano has to be tougher on this.  It is imperative to fix this, imo. 

Luck needs continuity not change every year.  Chud and Luck need to work on smarter play and better accuracy.  There are certain throws and touch passes he struggles with.  Lead his receivers better and more often.

This could get us back in contention next year.  If you blow the team up, it may take several years.  

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Absolutely right W1812. I want an NFL writer to do a lengthy article on which teams have the best strength & conditioning coaches & grab an athletic trainer/nutritionist/fitness expert that can dramatically reduce our IR numbers week to week. 

It's been a problem here for yrs...more like an eternity if you ask me. 

And which team has the hardest playing surface in the league.  

On 10/30/2016 at 4:28 PM, tomloge said:

what I said 2 years ago.   tear the entire team apart and start from scratch.  People ridiculed me for that post.  I was right on the money.  I think a pee-wee team of 8 year olds could beat this team.

Said the same thing :applause:

8 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Start with your cornerstones, QB(check), LT(maybe), and Pass Rushers(get in draft).  Maybe Haeg is our next LT.  Mudd, Grigson and others have noticed his talent.  We need 2 pass rushers.  Draft one and make smart FA pick.

Mathis said we need discipline to clean up penalties.  He Is right.  Pagano has to be tougher on this.  It is imperative to fix this, imo. 

Luck needs continuity not change every year.  Chud and Luck need to work on smarter play and better accuracy.  There are certain throws and touch passes he struggles with.  Lead his receivers better and more often.

This could get us back in contention next year.  If you blow the team up, it may take several years.  

good post