Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh McNary....

bluephantom87

This guy is ABSOLUTELY terrible!!! Once the decision was made to let Freeman walk due to contract negotiations I felt the defense was going to take a hit BUT I figured with Irving and Moore competing for the inside spot we would be at least ok for now. Well neither Irving or Moore is on the team now. Moore was let go after the embarrassing Jag loss in which he missed several tackles. (like the REST of this POOR tackling team) This was despite the fact that he was the team LEADER in tackles at the time. So in comes Chuck's guy Josh who is turtle slow, a poor tackler, someone who can't shed blocks and is ALWAYS trailing the opposing te in the passing game. Many on this forum said he was bad but I decided to FOCUS on his play to judge for myself and I can only confirm what was said IMO. One reason he can't make plays is because he seems to be out of position on MANY occasions wandering in space. Not really covering or attacking the ball. If he is playing a zone his recovery speed is WAY to slow to be a factor. 

DQ (the vocal leader) is aging fast but can still make a play or two as the other starting ilb. DQ's production has not dropped off to the level of Mathis but this should be his last year as a Colt starter. McNary on the other hand brings NO playmaking abilities to the table but I guess as long as Josh keeps chopping wood he'll remain on the field as that INVISIBLE presence....

1 hour ago, tfunky14 said:

If you payed attention to the game you would have seen A. Morrison get the start along side of Jackson.

Morrison collected 12 tackles, 10 of them being solo.

Why your worrying about McNary baffles me.

Because Morrison didn't have any stats against Houston.   He never got any snaps other than one snap on the goal line.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/2971051/antonio-morrison

What you're giving us is his season stats.

7 hours ago, IinD said:

We literally have zero LB keepers heading into next year.

I respect Mcnary for being a soldier, but he's killing my team. No pun intended.

Maybe keep Ayers around for depth?

I think that Walden is having a decent season. He's the only guy I think is worth keeping. Otherwise I agree the entire group needs an overhaul.

1 hour ago, tfunky14 said:

If you payed attention to the game you would have seen A. Morrison get the start along side of Jackson.

Morrison sucks. I'm willing to cut him some slack because he's a rookie but there is no way in the world he should be starting. The lack of talent at LB on this team is criminal.

The LB corp is the weak link on the team now.  Not much you can really do during the season except maybe a trade before the deadline or signing a player off a practice squad. .  Maybe Maggitt can eventually settle in and take a spot with enough reps?  I think it will be a top priority in the off season.  Need to add a young veteran through a trade or FA and another player using a high draft pick.  I really don't see us starting four new players at LB next year.  

2 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

If you payed attention to the game you would have seen A . Morrison get the start along side of Jackson.

If you paid attention to the game you would have seen McNary DID start the game and played the greater majority of snaps. Morrison thus far has been horrible to, hes just as bad as McNary at this point. I actually laughed and shook my head when they anounced Josh McNary starting LB on the tv Sunday night. How sad Is that, Josh freaking McNary and Its not even due to Injury?

2 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

I'm not sure what game you are talking about.  Against Houston McNary got the start adn the majority of snaps at ILB opposite of DQ.  And he was terrible.

An example of the difference.  Houston tried a running play with Miller off the RG, DQ came flying up hit the blocker, saw which way Miller was going, shed the blocker and made the tackle for a loss.  A drive or two later, Houston ran the same play except this time on McNary's side, McNary came strolling up there, tried to go around the blocker, took himself out of the play and Miller hit a 10-12 yard gain.

Of course, I've been saying McNary is terrible for a long time, so I'm not surprised.

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm not sure what game you are talking about.  Against Houston McNary got the start adn the majority of snaps at ILB opposite of DQ.  And he was terrible.

An example of the difference.  Houston tried a running play with Miller off the RG, DQ came flying up hit the blocker, saw which way Miller was going, shed the blocker and made the tackle for a loss.  A drive or two later, Houston ran the same play except this time on McNary's side, McNary came strolling up there, tried to go around the blocker, took himself out of the play and Miller hit a 10-12 yard gain.

Of course, I've been saying McNary is terrible for a long time, so I'm not surprised.

My mistake

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

We let Sio Moore, Nate Irving, (and Freeman) go and kept McNary. <- Let that sink in for a minute. 

But, this is this same coaching staff who keeps forcing Josh Ferguson into the lineup, so it's obvious they are going to keep doing things that make zero sense. 

McNary must have some serious dirt on the coaches for them to hang on to him like this.

Linebackers are horrible don't think we have one player I would move toward with on the roster except maybe maggit n Morrison only because of youth cheap contract and special teams not because of talent. But we need to completely over haul the lb spots at every position from top to bottom 

With 7:00 minutes to go in the game, and the score Colts 23, Texan 9, McNary would not see another defensive snap the rest of the game. He watched the 14 point outburst in regulation and the OT drive from the sideline. Not to defend his shortcomings, but it seems odd to me to focus so much outrage on McNary.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, Ja'Crispy said:

McNary must have some serious dirt on the coaches for them to hang on to him like this.

Lol... Makes you wonder why a guy with marginal talent at best on special teams is STILL on this roster FOUR years later. By no means is Josh a starting caliber NFL lb. I would go a tad further and say he's NOT a capable backup either. If McNary is your ONLY option at the time (yr 1) then fine BUT continuing to be years later is one of the MANY reasons this defense CONTINUES to be below avg.

Yeah, I really don't understand what the deal was at inside linebacker. I mean, if Freeman wasn't supposed to be the answer - fine. But if they made that call, I'd imagine at least one of Moore or Irving if not both, should then have been assessed to be a starter this season. How do you cut both of them, after not re-signing Freeman? Now we have D'Qwell who is aging, and beyond that mostly question marks or lower ceiling guys like McNary. 

He almost cost us the game. The dumb personal foul that took away our interception and gave them a first down to keep their drive alive. Then a few plays later he gave up the touchdown to Walker.... Why on God's green earth did the coaches not pull him after that dumb move?  I liked what I saw out of Jackson in his limited reps.  He's a BIG hitter.  Chuck gotta send a message and hold guys accountable. 

On 10/19/2016 at 5:47 AM, tfunky14 said:

Huh?

Morrison collected 3 tackles today.   3 solo tackles.

He doesn't have 12 tackles on the season.      I think you have him confused with someone else.....

Here's Morrison updated bio:

http://www.colts.com/team/roster/Antonio-Morrison/87ad9005-1ed3-455a-84ba-1fe5cb2d2496

On October 19, 2016 at 8:47 AM, tfunky14 said:

Cuz they need SOMETHING to complain about since we won.

On 10/19/2016 at 7:30 AM, PeterBowman said:

You know if his team had some competent linebackers other than Walden they'd be a far better D. The D line and secondary are actually pretty solid.

This^ The middle of our D is by far the weakest link. They repeatedly get out of position, and as others have said, they can't seem to tackle or cover. Another olb to compliment Walden would be nice.