Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospective head coaching candidates [Merge]

Mr. Too Proud

19 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He didn't have a really good QB in Denver and didn't have the players he needed to run the defense he wanted to run.

Right.      He also personally picked Tim Tebow.      That's on him.

Honestly,  he was too young to get the job.     A number of coaches are too young these days,  but that's not his fault.

Now, he's older, hopefully wiser and more mature.     Hopefully he's ready to lead a full franchise.

I'm not for firing Pagano.      But if we do,  I hope McDaniels gets serious consideration.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also need to keep in mind that the talent on the Colts team isn't very strong. A new HC isn't going to turn us around immediately if we decide to part ways with Pagano. Just don't want to see people get their hopes up. Would McDaniels be a good choice? Not so good the last time we was HC. Don't get blinded just because he's with the Patriots doesn't mean it will translate to us with our guys we have currently. It will take time.

10 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

We also need to keep in mind that the talent on the Colts team isn't very strong. A new HC isn't going to turn us around immediately if we decide to part ways with Pagano. Just don't want to see people get their hopes up. Would McDaniels be a good choice? Not so good the last time we was HC. Don't get blinded just because he's with the Patriots doesn't mean it will translate to us with our guys we have currently. It will take time.

Perhaps, I'm not deadset on McDaniels but I will say that theres been coaches that have failed notoriously bad as a Headcoach, went back to a cordinator spot and came back to be dang good  head coaches and win titles.

13 hours ago, JetLife_XCVI said:

IndySportsOne reporting the Colts may look at Pats offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels for the coaching job if Irsay decides to let go of Pagano. What do you guys think? 

No way no how. Why do we continue to look at coaches that boomed out at other places? Bring in a coach that won something like a Super Bowl at least close. 

41 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Yeah and Brady would make any o-coordinator look good even Pep if he was the coordinator. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

No thank you.  But I do think that if the Colts lose by a big margin today that there is a strong chance he will let Pagano go tomorrow and Gruden will be the target.  If the Colts win I think everybody returns for another year. 

Yeah, Gruden would be a good choice he's won a super bowl and love's QB's. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

who I wanted last year. Brillant offensive mind that takes advantage of different matchups with different skill players something we dont do at all not to mention a great QB whisperer. He turned matt freakin cassel to a 60+ million dollar QB. you just worry about the BB coaching tree though. not many success stories. If we do lose out which is what I expect(well maybe we'll beat the jags) then I do expect pagano and grigs to be fired 

How is he a brilliant offensive mind? 

10 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I've just never been interested in Josh McDaniels at all as a head coach..probably due to his time in Denver

I agree totally!!!!!! He seems like a weenie dude anyway we need discipline. We need a coach that's going to make players accountable and is tough.  

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

How is he a brilliant offensive mind? 

No matter who he has playing, he succeeds. He puts up points. Did with Cassel, orton, Tebow, Jimmy g, heck even a rookie qb vs the Texans. The guy knows how to take advantage of the guys he has

20 hours ago, #12. said:

Minus Brady, McDaniels' offenses in Denver and St. Louis looked nothing like the New England offense.   One might think, well, in Indy he would have Luck, so the results might be similar.  I'm not so sure.  Luck is a different type of QB.  If I were to draw some historic comparison to Luck, I'm not exactly sure who it would be, but it wouldn't be Brady.

Regardless, in the best case scenario, say McDaniels does improve this offense, bringing it up to something similar to a Manning level offense.  Where would you be, then?  Nowhere near a title.  As a team, with this abomination of a defense, you would only be slightly better than you are now.

Luck=Favre

Everybody keeps talking about McDaniels failure in Denver as a reason not to hire him. Using that logic, Belichick would have never been hired in New England.  His first HC job was with the Browns. Went 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, & 5-11.  That adds up to a losing record.  But he did gain valuable coaching experience under Parcells. A couple Super Bowls and a deep run under him with the Pats.  Just like McDaniels has gained that experience under Belichick.  So history shows his lack of success in his first attempt with the Broncos isn't really a good enough reason not to give the guy a look.  Or else, arguably the greatest coach ever would never have gotten a 2nd chance. 

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right.      He also personally picked Tim Tebow.      That's on him.

Honestly,  he was too young to get the job.     A number of coaches are too young these days,  but that's not his fault.

Now, he's older, hopefully wiser and more mature.     Hopefully he's ready to lead a full franchise.

I'm not for firing Pagano.      But if we do,  I hope McDaniels gets serious consideration.

Pagano needs fired he is a nice guy sure but lets face facts he is terrible at his job so is grigson.

On 12/18/2016 at 2:09 AM, Mr Clueless said:

Dunno, as others have said, it would be a gamble. Now, if Rex Ryan is fired in Buffalo and would accept to be DC under McDaniels, we could be on to something, but not sure how those two would come along.

After seeing what we have from Ryan's defenses of late, why would you want him?

5 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

After seeing what we have from Ryan's defenses of late, why would you want him?

Well, I'm basing it more on his time as a DC for Ravens then his HC tenure for Bills and Jets to some extent. But maybe that defense was just darn good in Baltimore. Kinda the same issue we might have with Paganos tenure as DC for Ravens. To good players to fail, LOL> 

On 12/18/2016 at 0:46 PM, superrep1967 said:

No way no how. Why do we continue to look at coaches that boomed out at other places? Bring in a coach that won something like a Super Bowl at least close. 

1) First off, the grammar is atrocious.  Had to read a few times to comprehend your last sentence.

2) Besides that, there are huge gaps in logic and reasoning in your post.  Clearly Belichick is universally regarded as the best coach in the game and maybe of all time.  He "boomed" (I think you meant bombed - see point # 1) out in Cleveland and failed to get close to a Super Bowl.  By your standards, the Pats would have never considered him.

Gruden won a Super Bowl yet he got fired.  Maybe that is not the be-all-end-all for a coach?  Perhaps there are other factors.

If they make a change, a guy like McDaniels would certainly warrant consideration.  He is clearly a bright offensive mind and comes from a winning culture.  And while his time in Denver was not a success, it is certainly is possible if not probable that he learned from the experience.  I mean who would have guessed that there is actually something to be learned when things don't quite go the way you hoped.

On 12/18/2016 at 7:35 AM, Ja'Crispy said:

I heard a couple weeks ago on espn that McDaniels is expected to hang around until BB retires from the Pats and take over.  Obviously just speculation. 

He responded to that speculation by saying that it was unfounded, and he would love to be a head coach again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000744405/article/josh-mcdaniels-i-would-love-to-be-head-coach-again

On 12/17/2016 at 10:43 PM, #12. said:

As a team, with this abomination of a defense, you would only be slightly better than you are now.

With more efficient offense and some game management adjustments, this team could very well be 11-3 right now. And don't let them learn how to run a proper bubble screen...

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

With more efficient offense and some game management adjustments, this team could very well be 11-3 right now. And don't let them learn how to run a proper bubble screen...

That is what is so frustrating, we should've swept the Texans and beat the Jags in the London. That would have us at 10-4 right now. We lost to 2 Bad QB's but yet we swept the Titans/Mariota. Yeah imagine if we threw a proper bubble screen to Dorsett with his speed, man he could do some damage. We would just need that a couple of times a game for huge gains.

If I'm Les Snead, I'm going to do what it takes to get McDaniels to LA as soon as possible when New England's season is over.  They need a bright offensive mind to develop their franchise QB.

I think there may actually be quite a few teams looking to hire offensive-minded head coaches this offseason.  If Pagano is fired, I think that's where Indy should look.  LA should look for one.  Buffalo might want to look for an offensive-minded coach to help with Tyrod Taylor.  The Jets need all kinds of help on offense.  Jacksonville might be looking for someone to help set Bortles straight (Coughlin?)