Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospective head coaching candidates [Merge]

Mr. Too Proud

13 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I would want Kyle Shanahan as HC/Offensive-playcaller ala Sean Payton. I think we go for an offensive HC because we aren't a defensive team. We just aren't. Its not in our culture.  

I think it should be though.  Would love to see this team become defensive minded.  Offense looks nice but defense wins championships.  I like championships.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, AZColt11 said:

I think it should be though.  Would love to see this team become defensive minded.  Offense looks nice but defense wins championships.  I like championships.

Defense wins championships, I agree. But as long as Jim Irsay is owner we will never be a defensive team. It isn't what he wants. He wants sexy, exciting offensive football. I like sexy football as long as its coupled with winning games.

14 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Huh? Those guys all sucked badly as head coaches.. I think it proves all the genius comes from Belichick, not his coordinators.  When they leave Daddy, the other school yard bullies punch their noses in.  Notice that when Belichick loses all these "genius" 'Coordinators to HC jobs, it doesn't negatively affect his results.  Even losing Brady and Gronk in the first 4 games, they didn't skip a beat including a total beatdown of Houston with their rookie 3rd string QB.   His coordinators are irrelevant, I wouldn't touch any of them.  It means a great deal more than diddley squat that they have all failed badly as HC's.  

Just because one guy 2 Guys 6 guys all failed as head coaches moving up from coordinator positions does not mean that the next guy will also fail. That's not how that works

7 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

People say Patricia has been able to get a lot out of his players.  An undrafted free agent in Malcolm Butler is playing CB1 for them at a solid level, for example.  I really like Patricia, but you have to be cautious with him because of how other Patriot assistants have done when they left New England.  Patricia is apparently very smart and mature, but I'm still on the fence.

Pagano is definitely a problem.  When you're a defensive-minded head coach and your defense have been as bad as they have been during his time here, there's a problem.  When your defense lets Brock Osweiler complete a 14 point comeback in 4 mins, there's a problem.  When you claim the no-huddle is of no use because it doesn't let you substitute, there's a problem.

To the bolded:

I want to believe that it's because of Patricia that they've done so well but the Patriots have done the same thing for years with the one constant being BB. Plus we all know how New England assistants have faired outside of the Bellichek nest. Maybe it's different with him but I honestly have my doubts.

3 hours ago, Restored said:

To the bolded:

I want to believe that it's because of Patricia that they've done so well but the Patriots have done the same thing for years with the one constant being BB. Plus we all know how New England assistants have faired outside of the Bellichek nest. Maybe it's different with him but I honestly have my doubts.

I agree, but I think he's someone that should be brought in for an interview, at the very least.

The more I think about it, the more I want Gruden.  I really think he and Luck could be an unstoppable combo

16 hours ago, Rally5 said:

There comes a time in every business where you have to ask yourself, where do I want to be, for the Colts that's clearly defined as a Champion yet again.  Then you have to access whether the people you have working to that end can assuredly get you there.  I think we have that sorted out at this point.  So I vote for people that we know have what it takes to build an NFL champion franchise.  No experimental assistants or college coaches for my vote.  I can't stand the Shanahans, Mike only made the Super Bowl because of John Elway in my opinion, he's been a .500 coach otherwise which I know is a contradiction but please allow me the one. I think with the allure of Andrew Luck you could pull a legitimate coach, this is my short list of "just get it done" candidates.

1. Cowher
2 .Harbaugh

3. Gruden

That's it, go get one of these guys and let him run the franchise like we did with Polian, amateur hour over.

You might as well add Bill Belichick if that is the list, none of those are happening. 

43 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree, but I think he's someone that should be brought in for an interview, at the very least.

The more I think about it, the more I want Gruden.  I really think he and Luck could be an unstoppable combo

I wouldn't mind Gruden at this point for HC. I'm honestly more concerned about what the team does at GM. This team's roster is lacking in a lot of areas.

16 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Pagano is not the issue it's note grigsons mistakes that's killing us. Colts be in right plays but players have no talent 

he has awful in-game strategy and instincts.  also, when the wheels start falling off, he looks lost, doesn't rally the troops, doesn't get the fire going (obviously), and has been given every chance to get better (be a better coach), and he just hasn't taken advantage of his opportunities.....but he is still the coach and I don't see that changing because we have a complacent owner.  mediocrity has been fine with him I suppose or something more dramatic would have happened by now.

The coach decision is ultimately going to come down to if Griggles (Grigson)  is fired or kept.  I know people don't want to hear this,  but Irsay seems to think really highly of him despite the misses.  

I think we have would have an attractive opening.  Luck is the obvious.  But,  we are going to have cap room. We could have tons of cap room if the old vets on defense are cut (likely).  So whoever comes in gets to start with a blank slate on defense and money to spend.  

Right now,  I'd love to get Shanahan with Pettine as a defensive coordinator.  McDaniels wouldn't be a bad option either.  In a perfect world,  I'd like to see the potential new regime keeping the 3-4 alignment.  

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My Top 3 candidates would be:

1. Jim Harbaugh - for obvious reasons, Great as a Pro Coach and College Coach. When he took over the 49ers they were crap, then they went to a SB, he leaves and the 49ers are crap again. Look at Michigan now, they are undefeated and just beat someone 78-0.

2. Urban Meyer - Meyer is 56-4 with Ohio State, has won 3 National Championships and reminds me of Jimmy Johnson, he is only 52 years old as well.

3. Matt Patricia - Been with Belichick for a while and is very smart = great Football mind. Has a ring from 2014. He is real young too, someone the team should be able to relate too easily.

Love the first two. Don't know about patricia as hard to tell about ex pat cordinators.

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Love the first two. Don't know about patricia as hard to tell about ex pat cordinators.

I do like Meyer a lot but for some reason some people in here don't. I also have seen a few in here that don't trust Pats Cordinators either. Just like some people love Jon Gruden and some don't, same with Saban. I think with Coughlin he's just too old and the Giants were making the same undisciplined Penalties and errors in his last season that we are making now. Giants missed the Playoffs under him the last 4 seasons. I think 5 years ago Coughlin would've been a great fit.

17 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Very nice analysis and some good choices.  Personally If he makes a change I think it would be a head coach from one of the major universities. I don't see him going the assistant route from another team.  No time to take a chance on seeing whether an assistant can do the job. If he comes from college he will run the whole show.   The no.1 guy is Saban especially if he wins another championship.   I think he would be ready to move and Luck, obviously,  would be hard to pass up.  Others;  Harbaugh, Meyer and Ferentz.  Harbaugh too soon, Ferentz and Meyer maybe.  I think it will Saban if he makes a change.  Gruden is the only one of the announcers I would consider.  But I think Saban would be the target if he wins another.  

Ferentz won't leave Iowa.  I'm an Iowa fan.  He's had chances to go elsewhere and hasn't and Iowa is paying him tons of money and the only thing they expect is to be better then .500 most seasons, beat rivals with bad football programs such as Iowa State and Minnesota and to get a nice 10 win season every 4 or 5 years.

Plus he's on his way to being a legacy in Iowa City.  If he coaches there for about 10 more years he might be able to convince them to name his oldest son Brian the next head coach.  (Officially Brian Ferentz is the OL coach there, but he apparently now sits in the booth with the OC and sort of acts as an assistant OC.)    

17 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

The job security of College football makes it hard to leave. Saban gets top recruiting classes every year and for the most part total control. Why leave that for the NFLwhere any given Sunday someone can win and the draft where great teams normally do not get the best players.

That's another issue with Harbaugh, Saban and Meyer.  Those guys have all made such names for themselves that their names alone make kids want to come play for them.  

They have talent advantages over 90% of the teams that they play because of their recruiting.  

And remember those guys get paid just as well if not better then most NFL head coaches.  So it's not like being in the NFL leads to some kind of raise for them.  

Also especially in a case with Harbaugh where he got forced out because some people in the front office didn't like him, having total control over the program like a college coach has is preferable.  

On top of that Harbaugh has nothing left to prove other then maybe winning a SB.  (But he'd probably like to win a national championship first.)  He was forced out of the NFL when he was #5 all time in win percentage.  SF was a dumpster before he came and they became a dumpster right after he left.  Everyone knows he's a good coach and can do it at the NFL level.  So he doesn't need to prove that.

Saban on the other hand you might be able to draw him in on the desire to prove it in the NFL.  He's said he thinks things would have gone better if he had a franchise QB to work with.  So there might be some desire by Saban to prove he can do it.  

12 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Defense wins championships, I agree. But as long as Jim Irsay is owner we will never be a defensive team. It isn't what he wants. He wants sexy, exciting offensive football. I like sexy football as long as its coupled with winning games.

Except that's the complete opposite of what Irsay said when Pagano and Grigson were hired.  He just hired the wrong guys to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 0:20 AM, AZColt11 said:

One thing is guaranteed:  if Pags is fired and someone else comes in there will not be any consensus that the pick is a good hire.

I agree. It will play out on the field over time whether the next coaching decision is a good one or not.

On 2016-10-19 at 1:20 AM, AZColt11 said:

One thing is guaranteed:  if Pags is fired and someone else comes in there will not be any consensus that the pick is a good hire.

Almost anyone would be better than Pagano at this point.  I'm all aboard the Gruden bandwagon.  He has lots of head coaching experience, has an interest in returning to coaching if it's with Luck, and I think he and Luck could be lethal together.

On 10/19/2016 at 3:20 AM, AZColt11 said:

That's pretty much the case anythime a coach has been hired by any franchise.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Almost anyone would be better than Pagano at this point.  I'm all aboard the Gruden bandwagon.  He has lots of head coaching experience, has an interest in returning to coaching if it's with Luck, and I think he and Luck could be lethal together.

Ol Chucky would make the offense hilariously fun to watch, but you would need to couple him to someone who can actually run a defense.

Saban was apparently a hairs breadth away from taking the Giants gig, so he would definitely be on the table if that's an appealing option.

16 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Ol Chucky would make the offense hilariously fun to watch, but you would need to couple him to someone who can actually run a defense.

Saban was apparently a hairs breadth away from taking the Giants gig, so he would definitely be on the table if that's an appealing option.

I'm sure Gruden has lots of connections in the NFL and would have guys to call in the event he gets a head coaching gig.  I'm no expert on defensive coordinator candidates, but if the performance of their positional units means much, Josh Boyer (CBs coach in New England) or Brian Flores (safety coach in New England) could be good.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm sure Gruden has lots of connections in the NFL and would have guys to call in the event he gets a head coaching gig.  I'm no expert on defensive coordinator candidates, but if the performance of their positional units means much, Josh Boyer (CBs coach in New England) or Brian Flores (safety coach in New England) could be good.

Isn't Mike Pettine unemployed?

29 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Isn't Mike Pettine unemployed?

I'm not a fan of him.  Just looking at other defenses with good positional groups, you can find Joe Woods (Broncos DBs coach), Winston Moss (assistant head coach and LB coach for the Packers), and Eric Washington (DL coach in Carolina).  I only read briefly about their qualifications.  Given that Moss is already assistant head coach, he could be the best one

On 10/17/2016 at 7:53 PM, BOTT said:

Two of those guys have been out of the league for a long time and the other is a far away dream.

If per chance, Michigan manages to somehow win the National Championship this season I wonder if that "dream" is then so far away.  Might he leave for another opportunity in the NFL with an NCAA National Championship on his resume?  A chance to achieve success with his former star Luck may be enough to get him to bite if he feels he has reached the pinacle at Michigan.

Not saying I want Harbaugh or don't want him but I think we have to see how it all plays out before we can assess the feasibility of the option.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Gruden would likely be very good for the offense.  I have my doubts about his ability to improve the defensive side of the ball however.  His last few years in Tampa with that D got kinda ugly.

56 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Gruden would likely be very good for the offense.  I have my doubts about his ability to improve the defensive side of the ball however.  His last few years in Tampa with that D got kinda ugly.

In an ideal world, I think you use him similar to how Pederson is coaching in Philly.  He's the head coach, he can call the plays, but he'll get someone reliable for the defense and let them take care of that without interfering.

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Jon Gruden is looking pretty good right now

Agreed.

I think that Luck is the ideal QB for Gruden. No matter who is the GM/Coach of the Colts in the future they are going to have to rely on Luck to be good and Gruden is probably the best guy to do that.

I think that if Gruden became head coach this team would move back to the 4-3. I'd be ok with that because I think it's easier to build a strong 4-3 defense when you have a lot of money tied up on offense like the Colts do.

I could see Gus Bradley being Gruden's defensive coordinator. He will likely be fired in Jacksonville and he was on Gruden's staff in Tampa Bay. I think Monte Kiffin was the defensive coordinator during Gruden's entire time in Tampa Bay.

Honestly if we are even talking about bringing gruden out of retirement or some hail marry like Harbaugh we might as well call bill cowher. There will be plenty of retreads out there. I'm sure sexy Rexy and  Mr 500 Jeff Fisher will be available...really I don't know where we go but this team needs a big dose of discipline and accountability and well talent. Hopefully the next guy will coach them up. We have a lot of improving to do but sometimes you have to take a couple steps back to go forward. Enriching this team with some young draft talent can't hurt. It's one thing to be young and bad like the jags...it's another to be old and bad....like us...sorry have to say it. One positive about our offense is it is pretty young. Maybe they will improve...at least they have time. The middle core of our defense...not so much.

Anyone that's a former Belichick staffer is a terrible idea. Every time someone has gone to that well it's been poison. My first instinct is to give Scwartz a spin, but one of his biggest issues is player discipline and penalties

Of course the big fish to land would be Coughlin.

2 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Anyone that's a former Belichick staffer is a terrible idea. Every time someone has gone to that well it's been poison. My first instinct is to give Scwartz a spin, but one of his biggest issues is player discipline and penalties

Of course the big fish to land would be Coughlin.

What you said at the end there is why I wouldn't want Schwartz.  We need someone to clean that up.  

It wouldn't be the most exciting hire but someone like Bill Musgrave who has a history of working with QBs might be an interesting choice.  

15 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm not a fan of him.  Just looking at other defenses with good positional groups, you can find Joe Woods (Broncos DBs coach), Winston Moss (assistant head coach and LB coach for the Packers), and Eric Washington (DL coach in Carolina).  I only read briefly about their qualifications.  Given that Moss is already assistant head coach, he could be the best one

You want another unproven coordinator?

11 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

This is a copy cat league, why not dip into Cowboys coaching staff,  Rod Marinelli as HC. Or this guy Patricia in the Patriots .

Marinelli is the only head coach in NFL history to go 0-16 in one season.  Avoid at all costs.

34 minutes ago, BOTT said:

You want another unproven coordinator?

If Mike McCarthy trusts Moss enough to make him assistant head coach, I think that's substantial.  Of course, I'm just a fan.  The people who make these decisions would have to have interviews and watch tape and ask around.