Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospective head coaching candidates [Merge]

Mr. Too Proud

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

According to JMV, Irsay has never been interested in Gruden.

yeah he must not be interested

if he was, then gruden would be a colt.  he has always wanted to work with luck

i dont get why people are so skeptical about him being interested in the job either.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

gruden said himself that he was very interested in the colts job if they had fired pagano last year

it wasnt a news story, he said it verbally on mnf recently

of course he has to say he's happy where he is at now too.  hes not going to come out and say, yeah i cant wait to dump this job and get back into coaching.  thats why he phrased his comment -

" if the job were available last year..."

Saying it AFTER THE FACT is one thing.

Saying it BEFORE IT HAPPENS is quite another.

And that's what this thread was talking about.      That Gruden had made the comment while Pagano's job hung in the balance.

I'm also HIGHLY skeptical that Gruden said on Monday Night Football that had the Colts fired Pagano he would've been very interested in the job.       It was reported no where.     No one wrote about it,  and,  to the best of my knowledge,  not one poster wrote about it until you just did here and now.

What are the chances of that happening?      

Jon Gruden saying on MNF that he would've been interested in the Colts job if we had fired Pagano and NO ONE HERE said a word until now?         That seems like a long shot to me...

Very odd,  very strange.

I would be interested in Gruden if he showed interest.  He has his flaws, but he at least has HC experience and has "accomplished some things" in this league.  He's also a QB whisperer, which wouldn't hurt Luck right about now.  The D may suffer though.  That would be my only hesitation at all.

EDIT:  Rumors are Rex Ryan might become available.  He is someone I would at least consider.

4 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I would be interested in Gruden if he showed interest.  He has his flaws, but he at least has HC experience and has "accomplished some things" in this league.  He's also a QB whisperer, which wouldn't hurt Luck right about now.  The D may suffer though.  That would be my only hesitation at all.

The d may suffer? Oh yeah not like its not already for a few years and counting.

8 hours ago, BOTT said:

According to JMV, Irsay has never been interested in Gruden.

I find that easy to believe.

Rumors are, which I believe, that the Colts tried to get Saban/Harbaugh/Payton. When they couldn't land one of them that is when Irsay gave Pagano another contract. If Irsay liked Gruden he would have hired him last January.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

EDIT:  Rumors are Rex Ryan might become available.  He is someone I would at least consider.

Why is Gruden a QB whisperer? He had success with exactly one QB ever, and that QB turned out to be very talented. Beyond that, every QB he worked with was underwhelming. The closest to a winning QB was Jeff Garcia, and Gruden had issues with him and didn't really want to play him. It's interesting how people give these titles to coaches...

Also, ironically, people who hate Pagano's repetitive coachspeak, like "chop that wood," are all about Gruden, yet Gruden's Bucs made that popular.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why is Gruden a QB whisperer? He had success with exactly one QB ever, and that QB turned out to be very talented. Beyond that, every QB he worked with was underwhelming. The closest to a winning QB was Jeff Garcia, and Gruden had issues with him and didn't really want to play him. It's interesting how people give these titles to coaches...

Also, ironically, people who hate Pagano's repetitive coachspeak, like "chop that wood," are all about Gruden, yet Gruden's Bucs made that popular.

You may be right, I hadn't really delved that deeply into it with Gruden.  But I saw what he did with Gannon in the twighlight of his career and I liked it.  I would think he could do FAR more with a guy like Luck than a career journeyman like Garcia, who was a decent player but not elite.  I also don't think Luck is in that category yet, but I DO think he has the make-up to get there with the right tutelage.  I think Gruden could at least do that much and it obviously isn't happening here now.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

You may be right, I hadn't really delved that deeply into it with Gruden.  But I saw what he did with Gannon in the twighlight of his career and I liked it.  I would think he could do FAR more with a guy like Luck than a career journeyman like Garcia, who was a decent player but not elite.  I also don't think Luck is in that category yet, but I DO think he has the make-up to get there with the right tutelage.  I think Gruden could at least do that much and it obviously isn't happening here now.

When I look at Gruden's track record, I don't see him as the guy who will help your QB take the next step. I think he's overrated, and I think the last six years of his coaching record are concerning enough that I have serious reservations about him.

Did you know that he refused to use shotgun formations for nearly two decades? As the league in general was eembracing it, he resisted until he basically had no choice but to conform. How much has the league adapted in the last 8 years? Will he be able to catch up and keep up? Will he even try?

I'm in favor of a wide, broad search. Interview a bunch of candidates, narrow it down from there, and when you think you've found your guy, hire him. If that process led to Irsay and his GM hiring Gruden, I'd be able to come to terms with that decision. But in general, I'm not a fan.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

When I look at Gruden's track record, I don't see him as the guy who will help your QB take the next step. I think he's overrated, and I think the last six years of his coaching record are concerning enough that I have serious reservations about him.

Did you know that he refused to use shotgun formations for nearly two decades? As the league in general was eembracing it, he resisted until he basically had no choice but to conform. How much has the league adapted in the last 8 years? Will he be able to catch up and keep up? Will he even try?

I'm in favor of a wide, broad search. Interview a bunch of candidates, narrow it down from there, and when you think you've found your guy, hire him. If that process led to Irsay and his GM hiring Gruden, I'd be able to come to terms with that decision. But in general, I'm not a fan.

As usual, you make a compelling argument.  I just THINK, I don't know exactly to be sure, that Gruden could help Andrew.  What I don't have any idea of is if he'd be any good to the rest of the units.  As for his record, his final years in TB were certainly not that great.  I have not dug deeply into the rosters he had to work with, but the bottom line results aren't spectacular after the Superbowl year.  He did win the NFC South 3 of those seasons but they did not win another playoff game in 2 more tries.  While I don't give him as much credit for the TB Superbowl win, I DO feel what he did in Oakland gets overlooked though.  He SHOULD have gotten them to the AFC Championship in the "Tuck Rule" game.  Bad call and a change of the rules because of it. Not sure why he was traded after back-to-back double digit win seasons.  Maybe an issue with Al Davis?  But it would have been interesting to see what he could have done had he stayed in Oakland another year or two.

At any rate, who would you endorse the Colts pursuing?

4 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Rex Ryan as DC -- Yes.  Head coach, not no but HELL NO!

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm also HIGHLY skeptical that Gruden said on Monday Night Football that had the Colts fired Pagano he would've been very interested in the job.       It was reported no where.     No one wrote about it,  and,  to the best of my knowledge,  not one poster wrote about it until you just did here and now.

why would it be such a big story? do people actually want gruden?? i dont

tons of people would be interested in the job.  a guy thats been out of the league since 2008 is not somebody that i would want

he did say it though, its not a big story because the team is not interested.

of all people you should know that gruden has wanted to work with luck

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Saying it AFTER THE FACT is one thing.

Saying it BEFORE IT HAPPENS is quite another.

And that's what this thread was talking about.      That Gruden had made the comment while Pagano's job hung in the balance.

Jon Gruden saying on MNF that he would've been interested in the Colts job if we had fired Pagano and NO ONE HERE said a word until now?         That seems like a long shot to me...

Very odd,  very strange.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/11/10749220/report-jon-gruden-would-have-listened-very-earnestly-if-colts-had-come-calling

is that not enough for you? its not worth another story

what they say now? 

the better story now is about the rams

39 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

why would it be such a big story? do people actually want gruden?? i dont

tons of people would be interested in the job.  a guy thats been out of the league since 2008 is not somebody that i would want

he did say it though, its not a big story because the team is not interested.

of all people you should know that gruden has wanted to work with luck

I'm not saying Gruden doesn't want to work with Luck.

And I'm not saying Gruden doesn't want the Colts job.

But what I am saying is saying is that I think it's highly unlikely that he said it PUBLICLY on National Television.   Because it puts another coach -- Pagano, and the owner, Irsay -- in an awkward position.    And Gruden knows Pagano's job isn't very safe.    

It would look like Gruden has designs on Pagano's job and coaches rarely do that in such a public way.....

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/11/10749220/report-jon-gruden-would-have-listened-very-earnestly-if-colts-had-come-calling

is that not enough for you? its not worth another story

what they say now? 

the better story now is about the rams

This story is about one year old.    Note, January of 2016.

And it doesn't say that he said anything publicly.     Only that he's made it known privately and others have confirmed it.

And that's what we've been discussing.....   whether Gruden ever said anything PUBLICLY.

I don't dispute that Gruden might want the job.   

But wanting the job and going public about wanting that job are tow different things.....    coaches don't do that to one another.    Or they're not supposed to.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

thats when this was a relevant story

its not that note worthy anymore, because he didnt get a call

they would rather talk about the rams now

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And it doesn't say that he said anything publicly.     Only that he's made it known privately and others have confirmed it.

And that's what we've been discussing.....   whether Gruden ever said anything PUBLICLY.

I don't dispute that Gruden might want the job.   

But wanting the job and going public about wanting that job are tow different things.....    coaches don't do that to one another.    Or they're not supposed to.

Why are we still stuck on this Gruden stuff?   He ain't coming out of ESPN.  It's been made clear for quite some time now.   Why won't they listen to you NCF?

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats when this was a relevant story

its not that note worthy anymore, because he didnt get a call

they would rather talk about the rams now

I know that.    I wanted to make sure you didn't think this was a new story.

And Gruden quickly shot down the Rams job.     He's not going there unless something dramatic changes.

But this whole discussion was around whether Gruden said anything about the Colts PUBLICLY.

And he hasn't.      It's not in his interest to go public.     It's a bad, bad look.     Coaches don't do that to each other.      What happens privately is one thing.      Publicly is another.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

What about Gannon?

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why are we still stuck on this Gruden stuff?   He ain't coming out of ESPN.  It's been made clear for quite some time now.   Why won't they listen to you NCF?

The Force is strong with Gruden.     All of these young Jedi want the Force to flow through Andrew and the rest of the Colts!        I'm not saying it won't happen.      Only that these things are best handled behind closed doors.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know that.    I wanted to make sure you didn't think this was a new story.

And Gruden quickly shot down the Rams job.     He's not going there unless something dramatic changes.

But this whole discussion was around whether Gruden said anything about the Colts PUBLICLY.

And he hasn't.      It's not in his interest to go public.     It's a bad, bad look.     Coaches don't do that to each other.      What happens privately is one thing.      Publicly is another.

Yes and he is also still under contract with ESPN. It wouldn't make sense for him to say anything publically at this point. 

Lets be honest here... Gruden has been out of coaching for a while now but he's still in the league doing something a lot less stressful. I'm not so sure he would want to return to coaching. Just my opinion. There really isn't anyone out there that I'm gung-ho about except for maybe Jim Harbaugh. But I don't see Jim leaving Michigan with the early success he's having and his nice paychecks. The coaching pool is pretty shallow...

Anybody thing Rex Ryan will get another HC opportunity in the league?   if not, anybody think Rex Ryan would be willing to step back and again become a DC or will Rex merely ride off into the sunset at this stage of his life?

if he were to want to again be a DC, anybody think he could bring some swagger and defensive excellence to the Colts?

Pretty sure I wouldn't want him as the Colts HC, but I am intrigued by the thought of him as the Colts DC.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Who are the "really good" choices for head coach and GM?

McDaniels or kyle Shanahan as HC and Nick Caserio Duke Tobin and George Patton for GM possibly McCoy as OC or Ken Whiz Rex or maybe Todd Bowles if fired as DC all upgrades from what we have 

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Anybody thing Rex Ryan will get another HC opportunity in the league?   if not, anybody think Rex Ryan would be willing to step back and again become a DC or will Rex merely ride off into the sunset at this stage of his life?

I don't think Rex Ryan will get another head coaching position in the NFL. It's rare that someone gets three shots at being a head coach especially considering his underwhelming resume as a head coach.

Sure, some guys have been a head coach of more than 2 teams. Bill Parcells and Pete Carroll come to mind. John Fox too. Those guys had vastly different resumes when it came time to their third head coaching gig though. 

46 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

McDaniels or kyle Shanahan as HC and Nick Caserio Duke Tobin and George Patton for GM possibly McCoy as OC or Ken Whiz Rex or maybe Todd Bowles if fired as DC all upgrades from what we have 

Hmm, drop the 'manager', and I'll take George Patton into battle any day.

You know when people talk about coaches coming out of retirement, they never bring up Herm? Why is that? I always thought he did a good job with the jets until Pennington's shoulder died on him...He's a great friend of Tony's so you'd think it'd be a recommendable spot for him. I'm pretty sure he only ever go the one chance, so why doesn't he ever get brought up. Personally I would love to see what Herm could do with this team.

1 hour ago, James Ducheteau said:

You know when people talk about coaches coming out of retirement, they never bring up Herm? Why is that? I always thought he did a good job with the jets until Pennington's shoulder died on him...He's a great friend of Tony's so you'd think it'd be a recommendable spot for him. I'm pretty sure he only ever go the one chance, so why doesn't he ever get brought up. Personally I would love to see what Herm could do with this team.

He coached the chiefs as well