Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospective head coaching candidates [Merge]

Mr. Too Proud

52 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

I was wrong from earlier but he interviewed for both positions. John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator before the Ravens took a chance on him and look how that turned out.  Dismissing him due to being a special teams coordinator is short sighted in my opinion.

I just would rather have a offensive minded HC

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I just would rather have a offensive minded HC

I want the best coach for the job.  I do not care where he comes from.  Having a defensive minded coach or special teams coach does not preclude you from having a great offense, though.  Look at NE, Atl, Indy (top ten), Pitt, and a few others.

1 minute ago, Dilger85 said:

I want the best coach for the job.  I do not care where he comes from.  Having a defensive minded coach or special teams coach does not preclude you from having a great offense, though.  Look at NE, Atl, Indy (top ten), Pitt, and a few others.

Sure but my point is Luck with Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels is more then likely MVP of the league 

3 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Whether 2017 doesn't go as Irsay is planning or our new GM is adamant about a new coach, I don't think it's unreasonable to start thinking about coaching candidates. My question is who is there out there? This year or next. Genuine question, I really don't know.

Coming uo to Black Monday, I had my eye on McDaniels. He had an ill-fated stint in Denver but in Indy he would already have a real QB and hopefully a GM to build a decent defense. Schematically, I like what he does. He finds mismatches, and is a creative playcaller. I feel he can improve in his second stint as coach.

I see people saying the coaching pool is weak this year. But who is going to be available in 2018? I don't think Saban or Harbaugh will change their minds much over the course of a year.

Who is the best? Who do you want?

I don't know. I haven't heard JMV talk about it .......yet.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Sure but my point is Luck with Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels is more then likely MVP of the league 

I understand where you are coming from but Offensive minded head coach does not necessarily equal a good offense either though.  I am skeptical of McDaniels given the track record of NE assistants though.

1 minute ago, Dilger85 said:

I understand where you are coming from but Offensive minded head coach does not necessarily equal a good offense either though.  I am skeptical of McDaniels given the track record of NE assistants though.

Its debatable for some, but to me Bill obrien has thoroughly outcoached pagano at least.

Their unimpressive season and playoff appearance,  IMO was more about Romeo Crennel and his really good defense, much of which was already in place when BOB arrived. I realize they lack a good QB, but I am not impressed with with his offensive schemes (even taking the lack of QB into account). Pagano to BOB would be almost a lateral move IMO.  

4 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

I was wrong from earlier but he interviewed for both positions. John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator before the Ravens took a chance on him and look how that turned out.  Dismissing him due to being a special teams coordinator is short sighted in my opinion.

While I agree with tou that dismissing a candidate just due to one being a ST coordinator is short sighted but John Harbaugh isn't a great X&Os type of coach. He's an excellent leader though, but needs good tacticians/gameplanners as his coordinators. Ravens fans don't complain a lot about him (fwiw, I'd put their recent lack of success on the decline of their roster more than on Harbaugh) but that seems to be major gripe.

6 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Whether 2017 doesn't go as Irsay is planning or our new GM is adamant about a new coach, I don't think it's unreasonable to start thinking about coaching candidates. My question is who is there out there? This year or next. Genuine question, I really don't know.

Coming uo to Black Monday, I had my eye on McDaniels. He had an ill-fated stint in Denver but in Indy he would already have a real QB and hopefully a GM to build a decent defense. Schematically, I like what he does. He finds mismatches, and is a creative playcaller. I feel he can improve in his second stint as coach.

I see people saying the coaching pool is weak this year. But who is going to be available in 2018? I don't think Saban or Harbaugh will change their minds much over the course of a year.

Who is the best? Who do you want?

Merged

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:40 AM, superrep1967 said:

What an arrogant response! I mean McDaniels got fired without winning a Super Bowl I guess that makes it better? But Gruden did win a Super Bowl and should have taken Oakland to the Super Bowl if it wasn't for a terrible call the tuck rule. You don't make a compelling argument at all. You brought up the idea that Bellichek got fired from Cleveland and still did well in New England everybody fails in Cleveland. But does it make it right that Josh basically failed in two places at least in his career? I mean when he arrived in St. Louis he was informed by the Rams that he wouldn't be involved any personnel decisions probably because of the Tebow fiasco. Then when Spagnuolo got fired he was told he could leave despite still being under contract. I believe this team needs discipline so maybe Tom Coughlin. But the coach I want is Harbaugh he is a great offensive mind as you referred to with the Josh guy but is tough on his players as well.  As far as my grammar goes I did get careless but nothing to get uptight about just relax. I know Harbaugh isn’t leaving Michigan but I can dream can’t I?

He was only an OC with the Rams thats why and Denver wasn't really all his fault either it was terrible FO decisions that how Elway ended up there.

14 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He was only an OC with the Rams thats why and Denver wasn't really all his fault either it was terrible FO decisions that how Elway ended up there.

If I'm not mistaken, McDaniels had pretty much complete control in Denver.

He also managed to * off pretty much everyone in the Broncos organization.

Great offensive mind but the failures in his 1st HC stint are on him.

1 minute ago, Finball said:

If I'm not mistaken, McDaniels had pretty much complete control in Denver.

He also managed to * off pretty much everyone in the Broncos organization.

Great offensive mind but the failures in his 1st HC stint are on him.

As far as I remember he didn't have 100% control and part of the making everyone mad thing part of that was Branden Marshall and he is a locker room cancer anyway.

14 hours ago, Finball said:

While I agree with tou that dismissing a candidate just due to one being a ST coordinator is short sighted but John Harbaugh isn't a great X&Os type of coach. He's an excellent leader though, but needs good tacticians/gameplanners as his coordinators. Ravens fans don't complain a lot about him (fwiw, I'd put their recent lack of success on the decline of their roster more than on Harbaugh) but that seems to be major gripe.

I'm a Cardinal fan and I liken John to Mike Matheny.  He is great with instilling culture and providing leadership which to me is more difficult to find that "leader of men" than an X's and O's guy but that is just my opinion.  However, if you can find a guy that can do both (Carroll, Belicheck, Saban, etc.) they are worth every penny that they command.