Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospective head coaching candidates [Merge]

Mr. Too Proud

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:31 AM, UKColt13 said:

Defense wins championships, I agree. But as long as Jim Irsay is owner we will never be a defensive team. It isn't what he wants. He wants sexy, exciting offensive football. I like sexy football as long as its coupled with winning games.

When Jim Irsay was our GM he gave up 2 1st round picks for Fred Young. So he does like defense.

Two things:

-1.  Having a "defensive coach" as HC doesn't mean the defense will be good.  If we've done nothing as an organization the last 20 years we proven that.

-2.  The answer is Jim Harbaugh and we must do everything in our power as fans to bring him here.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000744090/article/the-debrief-week-12-mike-mccarthy-marvin-lewis-in-trouble

Sounds like Marvin Lewis might be ready to walk away from the game.  I think he's a solid head coach and he's contributed to building a great roster in Cincy.  Their success was their own downfall, as Hue Jackson, Jay Gruden, and Mike Zimmer are all head coaches.

If the Packers fire McCarthy, we should be all over him, in my opinion.  Ted Thompson is the reason the Packers aren't where they should be right now.  Like Polian, he refuses to make any sort of effort in free agency.  The struggles of the Packers are not on Mike McCarthy.  If he is scapegoated and fired, we should look to bring him in right away.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000744090/article/the-debrief-week-12-mike-mccarthy-marvin-lewis-in-trouble

Sounds like Marvin Lewis might be ready to walk away from the game.  I think he's a solid head coach and he's contributed to building a great roster in Cincy.  Their success was their own downfall, as Hue Jackson, Jay Gruden, and Mike Zimmer are all head coaches.

If the Packers fire McCarthy, we should be all over him, in my opinion.  Ted Thompson is the reason the Packers aren't where they should be right now.  Like Polian, he refuses to make any sort of effort in free agency.  The struggles of the Packers are not on Mike McCarthy.  If he is scapegoated and fired, we should look to bring him in right away.

You don't think McCarthy is responsible for the Packers struggles? They have a good offensive line, good receiving corps, some good defenders, and a HOF QB and they still suck. 

2 hours ago, SP_21 said:

You don't think McCarthy is responsible for the Packers struggles? They have a good offensive line, good receiving corps, some good defenders, and a HOF QB and they still suck. 

Their defense is among the worst in the league, giving up nearly 25 points per game, and 262 pass yards per game.  Rodgers has had some off games and has simply been making bad decisions at times.  They have had some brutal injury problems in their secondary and at running back.  Given what I've been readying, Packers fans would like to see changes made at defensive coordinator and general manager before head coach.  McCarthy has a career record of 116-67-1 and has a Super Bowl win to his name.  I think their problems are more because of their GM than their head coach.  I like Ted Thompson, but his refusal to make noteworthy free agent moves has hurt the team.  I think McCarthy and Luck could be a great duo.

18 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Their defense is among the worst in the league, giving up nearly 25 points per game, and 262 pass yards per game.  Rodgers has had some off games and has simply been making bad decisions at times.  They have had some brutal injury problems in their secondary and at running back.  Given what I've been readying, Packers fans would like to see changes made at defensive coordinator and general manager before head coach.  McCarthy has a career record of 116-67-1 and has a Super Bowl win to his name.  I think their problems are more because of their GM than their head coach.  I like Ted Thompson, but his refusal to make noteworthy free agent moves has hurt the team.  I think McCarthy and Luck could be a great duo.

McCarthys offense has been predictable, uncreative, and outdated. Injuries are not a valid excuse either. They looked bad with Lacy and Starks healthy. Aaron Rogers carries that whole team and especially McCarthy. 

Ted Thompson has given the Packers defense the players it needs but their defensive coordinator is terrible. There's no excuse for how bad they are with guys like Peppers, Mathews, Randle, and Clinton-Dix. As the head coach McCarthy has to take some of the blame for how bad the defense has been. 

I don't hate McCarthy but there is no way he could help the Colts. There are much better options. 

22 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

McCarthys offense has been predictable, uncreative, and outdated. Injuries are not a valid excuse either. They looked bad with Lacy and Starks healthy. Aaron Rogers carries that whole team and especially McCarthy. 

Ted Thompson has given the Packers defense the players it needs but their defensive coordinator is terrible. There's no excuse for how bad they are with guys like Peppers, Mathews, Randle, and Clinton-Dix. As the head coach McCarthy has to take some of the blame for how bad the defense has been. 

I don't hate McCarthy but there is no way he could help the Colts. There are much better options. 

I'm personally on the Gruden train, but I think McCarthy could be a good option if he's available.  I think there would be too much demand for McCarthy as a head coach, but some form of HC-OC combo of McCarthy and Gruden (if my understanding is correct that they run similar offenses) could be really good.  They're both really good at Xs and Os and I think their brains matched with Luck's talent could make our offense the best in the league.  I don't know whether Gruden or McCarthy should be the HC, but I think those two guys working together with Luck could be unreal.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm personally on the Gruden train, but I think McCarthy could be a good option if he's available.  I think there would be too much demand for McCarthy as a head coach, but some form of HC-OC combo of McCarthy and Gruden (if my understanding is correct that they run similar offenses) could be really good.  They're both really good at Xs and Os and I think their brains matched with Luck's talent could make our offense the best in the league.  I don't know whether Gruden or McCarthy should be the HC, but I think those two guys working together with Luck could be unreal.

I'd like for us to grab Josh McDaniels. He's innovative and puts guys in a position to succeed. The job he did while Brady was suspended was phenomenal. Put Luck in that offense and it would be hard for him not to play exceptionally well. 

55 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I'd like for us to grab Josh McDaniels. He's innovative and puts guys in a position to succeed. The job he did while Brady was suspended was phenomenal. Put Luck in that offense and it would be hard for him not to play exceptionally well. 

I think McDaniels is also an exceptionally bright OC who knows how to cater his gameplans to the opposing defense.  In the recent Pats-Seahawks Super Bowl, the Seahawks DBs kept playing off coverage, giving all of the Pats receivers free releases off of the line.  McDaniels noticed this and kept calling for short passes to slowly but surely move the ball down the field.  The result of that was that Brady ended the game setting a Super Bowl record with 37 completions, and the Pats won.  I think McDaniels does a great job of catering his offense to take advantage of what the defense shows.  My only concern with him (and Matt Patricia, who is another guy I like) is the history of Bill Belichick's assistants when they leave New England.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think McDaniels is also an exceptionally bright OC who knows how to cater his gameplans to the opposing defense.  In the recent Pats-Seahawks Super Bowl, the Seahawks DBs kept playing off coverage, giving all of the Pats receivers free releases off of the line.  McDaniels noticed this and kept calling for short passes to slowly but surely move the ball down the field.  The result of that was that Brady ended the game setting a Super Bowl record with 37 completions, and the Pats won.  I think McDaniels does a great job of catering his offense to take advantage of what the defense shows.  My only concern with him (and Matt Patricia, who is another guy I like) is the history of Bill Belichick's assistants when they leave New England.

So as I am no expert on the history of neither the history of Belichick's assistants or Josh McDaniels (Although I know the basics), I tried to read up on McDaniels' tenure with the Broncos. My feeling from reading it, was that many of his faults came as personell decisions, which wouldn't necessarily be a responsibility he would have to be given. Further, I see comments of lack of ability to rally players around him and give him their best, which is of simply bad. However, he's now had 5 years to live and learn from his mistakes.. As you somewhat also argue, I don't think his football competency is in question

On 11/22/2016 at 4:14 PM, 21isSuperman said:

I doubt that Marin Lewis is at risk. if Mike Brown has shown anything it is that he is loyal to a fault. He stuck with Dave Sula well beyond what was reasonable.

22 hours ago, Mjølner said:

So as I am no expert on the history of neither the history of Belichick's assistants or Josh McDaniels (Although I know the basics), I tried to read up on McDaniels' tenure with the Broncos. My feeling from reading it, was that many of his faults came as personell decisions, which wouldn't necessarily be a responsibility he would have to be given. Further, I see comments of lack of ability to rally players around him and give him their best, which is of simply bad. However, he's now had 5 years to live and learn from his mistakes.. As you somewhat also argue, I don't think his football competency is in question

Yeah, he's done interviews recently where he has said he's changed drastically from his time in Denver.  He's matured a lot and really grown.  He's more calm now, whereas he was fairly eccentric and boisterous in Denver.  However, the bottom line remains that guys like Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, and McDaniels himself didn't do so well when they left Belichick while Belichick continues to have success without those guys.  That isn't to say McDaniels or Patricia would be bad options, but that one needs to be very careful when considering people from the Pats.

16 hours ago, GoBlue12 said:

I doubt that Marin Lewis is at risk. if Mike Brown has shown anything it is that he is loyal to a fault. He stuck with Dave Sula well beyond what was reasonable.

I could see them moving on simply because it's been so long.  Marvin was there when the Bengals were among the worst teams in the league and he has helped to build them up into one of the more talented rosters in the NFL.  However, no playoff wins year after year and a down year this year (albeit due to lots of injuries) has hurt him and I think the rationale could be that a change in scenery is beneficial for both sides.  If you read the article, it seems like Lewis has been hinting at retiring soon, so that might happen too.

On 10/17/2016 at 7:36 PM, Rally5 said:

There comes a time in every business where you have to ask yourself, where do I want to be, for the Colts that's clearly defined as a Champion yet again.  Then you have to access whether the people you have working to that end can assuredly get you there.  I think we have that sorted out at this point.  So I vote for people that we know have what it takes to build an NFL champion franchise.  No experimental assistants or college coaches for my vote.  I can't stand the Shanahans, Mike only made the Super Bowl because of John Elway in my opinion, he's been a .500 coach otherwise which I know is a contradiction but please allow me the one. I think with the allure of Andrew Luck you could pull a legitimate coach, this is my short list of "just get it done" candidates.

1. Cowher
2 .Harbaugh

3. Gruden

That's it, go get one of these guys and let him run the franchise like we did with Polian, amateur hour over.

Well why don't we just call Belichek and see if he wants to leave the Patriots and coach Indianapolis?  That has about the same chance of happening as those guys.

Cowher and Gruden arn't leaving their TV jobs and havn't coached in a long time.  Besides that Gruden won a SB with Dungy's team.  I don't think he's that good of a coach.

Harbaugh is not leaving Michigan so quickly after taking the job there.

Here is the reality. . . it's exceedingly rare that a great head coach just falls to you because great head coaches tend to keep their jobs for a long time.  You have to find them on your own.  

Also I believe I researched this and no head coach has ever won a SB with 2 different teams.  

Again there are reasons for this.  

Honestly your best known head coaching candidates out there that would likely take the job are Tom Coughlin and Mike Shanahan.  

John Fox and Mike McCarthy might be available in the offseason too. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Well why don't we just call Belichek and see if he wants to leave the Patriots and coach Indianapolis?  That has about the same chance of happening as those guys.

Cowher and Gruden arn't leaving their TV jobs and havn't coached in a long time.  Besides that Gruden won a SB with Dungy's team.  I don't think he's that good of a coach.

Here is the reality. . . it's exceedingly rare that a great head coach just falls to you because great head coaches tend to keep their jobs for a long time.  You have to find them on your own.  

Also I believe I researched this and no head coach has ever won a SB with 2 different teams.  

Honestly your best known head coaching candidates out there that would likely take the job are Tom Coughlin and Mike Shanahan.  

Belichek comment is just dumb.  Ironically the guys you list would be exactly the same philosophy....Don't be afraid to aim high sometimes you just might make it.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Cowher and Gruden could very well leave their TV jobs.  In fact, Gruden said last offseason that he would have listened very earnestly if the Colts had called him.  Plus, I never understood the argument that Gruden won with Dungy's team.  If it was Dungy's team, why couldn't Dungy win with them?  It took Gruden to help the Bucs get over the Eagles and it was Gruden that was able to emulate Rich Gannon so well in practices leading up to the Super Bowl.  I am aboard the Gruden bandwagon, and the McCarthy bandwagon if he were to become available.  Other than that, I'm not a fan of the guys you've mentioned.

In addition, when you say good coaches aren't usually available, I strongly disagree.  Pete Carroll was fired from the NFL before coming to the Seahawks and building that team.  Belichick was in Cleveland before New England.  Good coaches change teams all the time.  Jim Harbaugh was a really good coach; his departure from the NFL was more about his character and what he wanted from the team (more say in personnel decisions) than about his coaching ability.

Keeping up with Kyle Shanahan 
Just a quick look at where he has the Falcons and why we should interview him as soon as the season ends.

Atlanta offensive ranks

Points (1st place)
Yards (3rd place)
Pass yards (3rd place)
Rush yards (15th place)

Colts offensive ranks

Points (12th place)
Yards  (15th place)
Pass yards (15th place) 
Rush yards ( 25th place)

Personnel use

Matt Ryan < Andrew Luck 
Julio Jones > Ty Hilton 
 (WR corp) < (WR corp)
Offensive line = Offensive line 
Devonta Freeman > Frank Gore

Kyle Shanahan is getting the most out of his personnel. Matt Ryan is having a great year and before Tom Brady returned he was being included in early MVP talks. Even games where Julio Jones has been held to or under 5 catches they have won four out of five games.   Arizona Cardinals held Jones under 5 catches and Kyle changed his scheme to get Taylor Gabriel the ball  (reverses, screens and slants). Against Green Bay Packers Sanu led the team to victory. Looking at our team we lost four out of five games Ty Hilton was held to 5 catches or under. Donte Moncrief imo is more talented at this stage of his career than Sanu. Dorsett potential is greater than Gabriel our TEs are about equal. And I think we all can agree that Luck ceiling is much greater than Matt Ryan or any other QB that Shannonhan has coach. Even through injuries and a * poor defense Kyle has them 1st place in their division. This is his 2nd time coaching with a 1st year coach where he basically has full reigns on the offensive side.

Track Record 
Matt Schaub  (pro bowl)
RG3 (rookie of the year)
Matt Ryan 

He hasn't been given world beaters but these guys most successful moments has been with Kyle Shanahan.

This makes me comfortable giving him Luck.

RBs
Steve Slauton (over achieved)
Arian Foster (pro bowler)
Alfred Morris (over achieved)

Late round or undrafted picks have all over achieved in his running scheme.

Gives the GM the option of drafting a RB late this year.

WR/TE
Andrew Johnson  (pro bowler)
Jordan Cameron  (pro bowler)
Josh Gordon  (did well after returning from suspension)
Julio Jones 

Superstars excell under him (Johnson and Jones). He can scheme to make average players successful and adapt/ simplify his playbook to include players thats not up to speed (Gordon). 

Overall I think Kyle is the captin to right this ship and guide us back to the top of the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Again.   No one is getting fired.  

Exactly and why some people cant realize this I have no idea? No one is getting fired so why would anyone root for us to lose? It will do no good. For the people wanting us to lose it will do no good so maybe those people should root for a different team. Nobody is getting fired and picking in the 20's compared to somewhere around 10 doesn't make a difference either. For some reason some people cant grasp this. So that tells me they just want us to lose because they have stuck with their tank mentality all season (because they hate Pagano and Grigs) and want to come on here and say, I told you so that we didn't even win the Division with Pagano, etc.. Just like several was saying Bruce Arians was miles better than Pagano from day 1 but yet the Cards stink with a better Roster, explain that one?

On 10/17/2016 at 6:48 PM, jbaron04 said:
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My rant wasn't toward you by the way as I know you like Shanahan. I just don't care for the losing mentality some people have.

No problem brother, like I said we all want the team to be better. I always want us to win prime example I wanted Khald Holmes to protect Luck but at the same time I definitely wanted us to replace him and upgrade at that position. I look at this the same way. 

Harbaugh is already getting himself in hot water over things like Michigans satellite training camps, and most recently calling out the officials. Who knows, but because of his style, there's fallout. He's a double-edged sword for sure. Love me some Captain Comeback though! I'm no insider, but as quirky as Irsay is, they may be a match made in heaven. With that being said, I think Pagano called a really good game against a very good Steeler team. 

22 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Cowher and Gruden could very well leave their TV jobs.  In fact, Gruden said last offseason that he would have listened very earnestly if the Colts had called him.  Plus, I never understood the argument that Gruden won with Dungy's team.  If it was Dungy's team, why couldn't Dungy win with them?  It took Gruden to help the Bucs get over the Eagles and it was Gruden that was able to emulate Rich Gannon so well in practices leading up to the Super Bowl.  I am aboard the Gruden bandwagon, and the McCarthy bandwagon if he were to become available.  Other than that, I'm not a fan of the guys you've mentioned.

In addition, when you say good coaches aren't usually available, I strongly disagree.  Pete Carroll was fired from the NFL before coming to the Seahawks and building that team.  Belichick was in Cleveland before New England.  Good coaches change teams all the time.  Jim Harbaugh was a really good coach; his departure from the NFL was more about his character and what he wanted from the team (more say in personnel decisions) than about his coaching ability.

What I mean by that is Carroll and Belichick at the time they where available where not considered top flight NFL head coaches.  

Belichick had a 33 - 44 regular season record in his 5 years in Cleveland with a 1 - 1 playoff record.  

Carroll was 6 - 10 with the Jets in his lone season at HC there, and he was 27 - 21 in New England with a 1 - 2 playoff record.  He then had a lot of good years at USC, although he cheated.  

Neither where considered top flight head coaches at the NFL level when they where hired.  

Their current jobs have made them into that.  

I'm all for it if you can get Cowher in here, would love to see Harbaugh, and even Gruden would make me happy, although I would be a little concerned about what effect being away from coaching for so long would have on Cowher or Gruden.  I just don't see it happening.  

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was actually going to play this game of thinking Chuck might get fired which wont happen IMO, hardly nobody brings up Urban Meyer in here. All he does is win at Ohio St. and at Florida his teams won a lot as well. I see Harbaugh and Saban a lot but his name never comes up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000612903/article/urban-meyer-nfl-team-reached-out-and-i-turned-it-away

"I really enjoy where I'm coaching and who I'm coaching. At this point, my son's in high school. We're where we need to be. I really love my athletic director. I think the future's bright. We're recruiting well, I'm very happy with where we're at," Meyer added.

Sounds like he's not interested in coaching in the NFL right now