Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospective head coaching candidates [Merge]

Mr. Too Proud

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Very nice analysis and some good choices.  Personally If he makes a change I think it would be a head coach from one of the major universities. I don't see him going the assistant route from another team.  No time to take a chance on seeing whether an assistant can do the job. If he comes from college he will run the whole show.   The no.1 guy is Saban especially if he wins another championship.   I think he would be ready to move and Luck, obviously,  would be hard to pass up.  Others;  Harbaugh, Meyer and Ferentz.  Harbaugh too soon, Ferentz and Meyer maybe.  I think it will Saban if he makes a change.  Gruden is the only one of the announcers I would consider.  But I think Saban would be the target if he wins another.  

Well

I would say Mike Tomlin John Harbaugh and Sean Payton did well in their 1st time at Coach. Kyle father will be there for advice also. He may be young but he has alot of experience. I look at the hoodie coaching tree and it seems like he isn’t a great coach developer. I think if he brings in a good staff he will be ok. Remember even though Bruce Arians is old technically this is his 1st real HC job.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we fire that Jack * Grigson then sure this would be a good job. If we keep him then no one would want it and I wouldn't blame them. Honestly you get Luck and the offense is pretty damn good. We just need smart coaches and a better GM that knows what talent looks like and we could turn this around. if we were to get a top 5 pick this year and a better GM we could really do some good in the draft.

Well Chuck and Griggs are tied to the hip I believe we get rid of both if we do drop the axe. I didn't get to research Mike McCoy HC for the chargers but his HC experience, game planning up until the 4th quarter maybe a great asset to Kyle Shanahan if he gets the HC job.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Well Chuck and Griggs are tied to the hip I believe we get rid of both if we do drop the axe. I didn't get to research Mike McCoy HC for the chargers but his HC experience, game planning up until the 4th quarter maybe a great asset to Kyle Shanahan if he gets the HC job.

Yeah I would hope if one goes they both go lol I like McCoy as OC too but idk if he will get fired 

I think that IF Pagano is fired, Irsay will look for someone with a strong pedigree. That's just my gut that is what Irsay would look to do.

I think we can safely rule out Saban, Harbaugh, or Payton. A couple other potential big names that come to mind:

Jon Gruden

It doesn't appear that Irsay had interest in Gruden when he was considering a coaching change in January so i'm not sure Irsay would look his way if Pagano ends up fired. It's also unknown if Gruden would even want to leave ESPN.

David Shaw (assuming he was willing to leave Stanford)

He might be the best Irsay could do in terms of hiring someone who has been a head coach and successful. Shaw's head coaching has all been at Stanford but he does have 8-9 years experience as an NFL assistant.

If not a proven head coach then?

Patriot Assistants

I don't think either would come to Indy. If Belichick thinks McDaniels or Patricia can be a good head coach there is no way either of those two end up in Indy, imo.

Other Assistants

I would find Winston Moss a lot more intriguing than most assistants out there. Most of the assistants feel like it could very well be another Pagano hire though.

2 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I think that IF Pagano is fired, Irsay will look for someone with a strong pedigree. That's just my gut that is what Irsay would look to do.

I think we can safely rule out Saban, Harbaugh, or Payton. A couple other potential big names that come to mind:

Jon Gruden

It doesn't appear that Irsay had interest in Gruden when he was considering a coaching change in January so i'm not sure Irsay would look his way if Pagano ends up fired. It's also unknown if Gruden would even want to leave ESPN.

David Shaw (assuming he was willing to leave Stanford)

He might be the best Irsay could do in terms of hiring someone who has been a head coach and successful. Shaw's head coaching has all been at Stanford but he does have 8-9 years experience as an NFL assistant.

If not a proven head coach then?

Patriot Assistants

I don't think either would come to Indy. If Belichick thinks McDaniels or Patricia can be a good head coach there is no way either of those two end up in Indy, imo.

Other Assistants

I would find Winston Moss a lot more intriguing than most assistants out there. Most of the assistants feel like it could very well be another Pagano hire though.

I like Winston Moss idk as head coach. I like if he does comes to the team we can go to guys like Kinko Alonso and say hey look at what Moss did for AJ Hawk and Clay Matthews. Also JPP and say look at Julius Peppers in the 3-4 defense. Lastly he maybe able to get guys like Nick Perry to leave with him. I don't know why but teams just don't poach the Packers coaches from them. I do appreciate the read and comments.

2 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Pagano is not the issue it's note grigsons mistakes that's killing us. Colts be in right plays but players have no talent 

Both are the problem. This team is obviously poorly coached. All you have to do is watch the games and see how unfocused they are and all of the little league mistakes the team is making. 

Coaching has a big impact whether it seems like it or not.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Coughlin will always have beating the Patriots twice in the SB. How he did it I have no idea but he did and I am glad he did haha . Having said that the Giants failed to make the Playoffs in his last 4 seasons and the Giants were making all kinds of dumb undisciplined plays to lose games last season like we are now. He is also too old as well, isn't he in his 70's? 

I love you like a brother man, but don't be too quick to dismiss Coughlin man. The Giants during his 2 SB runs didn't crucify themselves with a ton of dumb penalties & Tom won't put up with tardiness from anybody & he holds everybody from QBs to kickers accountable. 

Yes, I know about the ODB vs Josh Gordon fiasco under his watch, but I admire the guy's hard nosed discipline man. Tom always had his teams ready to compete even in Jacksonville. 

Age who cares? The guy will get us to a Championship & I promise you even in a loss INDY won't get spanked, schooled, & humiliated. 

16 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I love you like a brother man, but don't be too quick to dismiss Coughlin man. The Giants during his 2 SB runs didn't crucify themselves with a ton of dumb penalties & Tom won't put up with tardiness from anybody & he holds everybody from QBs to kickers accountable. 

Yes, I know about the ODB vs Josh Gordon fiasco under his watch, but I admire the guy's hard nosed discipline man. Tom always had his teams ready to compete even in Jacksonville. 

Age who cares? The guy will get us to a Championship & I promise you even in a loss INDY won't get spanked, schooled, & humiliated. 

Could he be brought in as a advisor, or some kind of assistant head coach like Chudd was with us while he was still being paid by the Browns? I wouldn't mind that idea to help Kyle Shanahan become successful since some people hate his father

56 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we fire that Jack * Grigson then sure this would be a good job. If we keep him then no one would want it and I wouldn't blame them. Honestly you get Luck and the offense is pretty damn good. We just need smart coaches and a better GM that knows what talent looks like and we could turn this around. if we were to get a top 5 pick this year and a better GM we could really do some good in the draft.

I do agree with your post from this vantage point. It was a mistake to hire & extend the contracts of both a GM & HC with no experience operating in either capacity at all. You want individuals who can hit the ground running & not learn either job on the fly thru trial & error. It's like hiring 2 architects to build an addition on your home in their 2nd semester of classes. Never a good idea. 

Look, I get it. Tomlin had no HC experience & he won a ring. Maybe that's what we need to do. Talk to the Rooney & Mara families first just to tap their brains in our selection committee searches. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

I do agree with your post from this vantage point. It was a mistake to hire & extend the contracts of both a GM & HC with no experience operating in either capacity at all. You want individuals who can hit the ground running & not learn either job on the fly thru trial & error. It's like hiring 2 architects to build an addition on your home in their 2nd semester of classes. Never a good idea. 

Look, I get it. Tomlin had no HC experience & he won a ring. Maybe that's what we need to do. Talk to the Rooney & Mara families first just to tap their brains in our selection committee searches. 

Or atleast go for guys that have had a long run of success as a coordinator Pagano had what one year as DC for BAL not nearly enough time. Also his D was stacked too 

I'll add two other names as assistants likely to be NFL head coaches sooner than later:

1) Jim Bob Cooter (Lions OC)

2) Sean McVay (Redksin OC)

Both are highly regarded even though they are young. It might not be what Irsay would look to do if he fires Pagano but i'd be surprised if these two are not head coaches in 2 years.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Could he be brought in as a advisor, or some kind of assistant head coach like Chudd was with us while he was still being paid by the Browns? I wouldn't mind that idea to help Kyle Shanahan become successful since some people hate his father

The 1 thing I will say in defense of Kyle Shanahan is this: I think he learned from his old man the importance of creating running lanes for an elite back like Terrell Davis in Denver back in the day. That's what's killing us: INDY doesn't have methodical 4 yrd runs & then a jailbreak run for like 40 yards to slow down the pass rush on Luck. 

Kyle would figure out how to create separation on the ground & he'd figure out how to incorporate the screen game better & use Hilton's speed as a decoy tactic to open up Doyle & Moncrief once he returns to the starting lineup. I'm not totally sold on Kyle yet, but I do like how smoothly that Offense is clicking in Atlanta MTP. 

Look, I know I biased when it comes to Big Blue. I will own that. I just like how you can't throw anything at Coughlin that he has seen before & if he's our HC, INDY will never get caught unprepared with our pants down against the elite teams like NE, Seattle, or the Ravens. Teams usually in the hunt in late Nov. & December.

I don't want Coughlin as a consultant. Either he's our new HC or go in another direction entirely. JMO. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

He was head coach for the Raiders so yes it was a different time in the NFL. I look at our success with Bruce Arians and how Luck was throwing the ball down the field. 

I'm aware that Cable was/is a coach.

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I believe JMV alluded to the 3 being Harbaugh, Saban, and Payton. The first two gave Irsay a hard pass and Payton was still under contract and he wanted too much $ and the Saints wanted two draft picks in return.

Payton's contract was up after last season.  He just decided to stay with the Saints.

2 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

The job security of College football makes it hard to leave. Saban gets top recruiting classes every year and for the most part total control. Why leave that for the NFLwhere any given Sunday someone can win and the draft where great teams normally do not get the best players.

The challenge of it I guess.  Jimmy Johnson, Steve Spurrier, Jim Harbaugh, Doug Marrone, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Chip Kelly, Bobby Ross, etc....

4 hours ago, Rally5 said:

There comes a time in every business where you have to ask yourself, where do I want to be, for the Colts that's clearly defined as a Champion yet again.  Then you have to access whether the people you have working to that end can assuredly get you there.  I think we have that sorted out at this point.  So I vote for people that we know have what it takes to build an NFL champion franchise.  No experimental assistants or college coaches for my vote.  I can't stand the Shanahans, Mike only made the Super Bowl because of John Elway in my opinion, he's been a .500 coach otherwise which I know is a contradiction but please allow me the one. I think with the allure of Andrew Luck you could pull a legitimate coach, this is my short list of "just get it done" candidates.

1. Cowher
2 .Harbaugh

3. Gruden

That's it, go get one of these guys and let him run the franchise like we did with Polian, amateur hour over.

Lofty, none of those will come here.  Best chance now is Harbaugh, but he won't bolt from the Wolverines so fast.  Gruden and Cowher have fully settled in to post coaching life and like it.  Notably Cowher. Look it up online.  They are fine. Gruden would have listened intently if Pagano was fired (not extended) and Jon was made an offer.  But he wasn't, and he is well paid by ESPN and the rigors of coaching are demanding.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16781/bill-cowher-says-hes-not-returning-to-coaching

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/1/11/10749220/report-jon-gruden-would-have-listened-very-earnestly-if-colts-had-come-calling

20 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Payton's contract was up after last season.  He just decided to stay with the Saints.

I dont believe that is accurate, he signed a 5 year contract in 2013. It would have been up after the 2017 season. He was simply given permission to speak to other teams, but those teams would owe the Saints compensation. He then chose to then sign another extension that took him through 2020.

People need to stop saying Patricia. You guys no nothing about him other than the fact that he's been on the Patriots for awhile. Doesn't mean he's good though.

Cant change coaches without changing GMs though. No one is going to work with a GM like Grigson. I'd say Gruden and make sure it's a GM that's going to be on the same page with him. That issue is what hurt him with Tampa Bay.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

People need to stop saying Patricia. You guys no nothing about him other than the fact that he's been on the Patriots for awhile. Doesn't mean he's good though.

Cant change coaches without changing GMs though. No one is going to work with a GM like Grigson. I'd say Gruden and make sure it's a GM that's going to be on the same page with him. That issue is what hurt him with Tampa Bay.

What you said about Patricia you can say about any assistant.

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I'm not a big fan of Patricia. The Patriots defense hasn't been nowhere near as dominant as they used to be. The Patriots win mostly because of Brady and Gronk nowadays. Don't get me wrong, they are a sound defense with guys who've been in that system for a long time. They tackle well and are always prepared.  I think they will always be sound as long as Belichick is their head coach. Plus, I feel like the majority of their special game plans still come from Belichick. Maybe Patricia has learned from Bill but he seems like another coach on the Belichick tree who will fail as a head coach and end up being a defensive coordinator for the rest of his career. 

People say Patricia has been able to get a lot out of his players.  An undrafted free agent in Malcolm Butler is playing CB1 for them at a solid level, for example.  I really like Patricia, but you have to be cautious with him because of how other Patriot assistants have done when they left New England.  Patricia is apparently very smart and mature, but I'm still on the fence.

4 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Pagano is not the issue it's note grigsons mistakes that's killing us. Colts be in right plays but players have no talent 

Pagano is definitely a problem.  When you're a defensive-minded head coach and your defense have been as bad as they have been during his time here, there's a problem.  When your defense lets Brock Osweiler complete a 14 point comeback in 4 mins, there's a problem.  When you claim the no-huddle is of no use because it doesn't let you substitute, there's a problem.

45 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's just that people are always so desperate to get a bite of the Patriots success that they think anyone from their is great. The Pats have made a killing off of convincing teams that all the QBs that played behind Brady in BBs excellent system is good. It's the same with the staff.

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

I'll add two other names as assistants likely to be NFL head coaches sooner than later:

1) Jim Bob Cooter (Lions OC)

2) Sean McVay (Redksin OC)

Both are highly regarded even though they are young. It might not be what Irsay would look to do if he fires Pagano but i'd be surprised if these two are not head coaches in 2 years.

Jim Bob Cooter - that is still the best name in Football.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

Come on man I just wrote a lot more about Kyle and his qualities to become head coach.  Patricia is a mystery and the hoodie assistant coaches haven't turned out to be as good when giving a shot to run the show

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

The 1 thing I will say in defense of Kyle Shanahan is this: I think he learned from his old man the importance of creating running lanes for an elite back like Terrell Davis in Denver back in the day. That's what's killing us: INDY doesn't have methodical 4 yrd runs & then a jailbreak run for like 40 yards to slow down the pass rush on Luck. 

Kyle would figure out how to create separation on the ground & he'd figure out how to incorporate the screen game better & use Hilton's speed as a decoy tactic to open up Doyle & Moncrief once he returns to the starting lineup. I'm not totally sold on Kyle yet, but I do like how smoothly that Offense is clicking in Atlanta MTP. 

Look, I know I biased when it comes to Big Blue. I will own that. I just like how you can't throw anything at Coughlin that he has seen before & if he's our HC, INDY will never get caught unprepared with our pants down against the elite teams like NE, Seattle, or the Ravens. Teams usually in the hunt in late Nov. & December.

I don't want Coughlin as a consultant. Either he's our new HC or go in another direction entirely. JMO. 

Thanks for the read. I've been high on Kyle Shanahan since last year. Like i said above... would say Mike Tomlin John Harbaugh and Sean Payton did well in their 1st time at HC. Remember even though Bruce Arians is old technically this is his 1st real HC job. How long does it take to get a look? Bruce Arians it took forever and people are willing to gamble and forgive Josh McDaniels for Denver  (1st round Tebow might I add) before giving Kyle Shanahan a shot. So what exactly do you guys want to see from him to make you more comfortable?

1 minute ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Thanks for the read. I've been high on Kyle Shanahan since last year. Like i said above... would say Mike Tomlin John Harbaugh and Sean Payton did well in their 1st time at HC. Remember even though Bruce Arians is old technically this is his 1st real HC job. How long does it take to get a look? Bruce Arians it took forever and people are willing to gamble and forgive Josh McDaniels for Denver  (1st round Tebow might I add) before giving Kyle Shanahan a shot. So what exactly do you guys want to see from him to make you more comfortable?

I just think, at this point, you go with a proven head coach.  I don't know how many more years of Luck's prime you want to take a chance on a new HC and hope it works out.  I don't hate these guys with another team, but with THIS team in particular, I think they need some proven leadership.

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

People say Patricia has been able to get a lot out of his players.  An undrafted free agent in Malcolm Butler is playing CB1 for them at a solid level, for example.  I really like Patricia, but you have to be cautious with him because of how other Patriot assistants have done when they left New England.  Patricia is apparently very smart and mature, but I'm still on the fence.

Pagano is definitely a problem.  When you're a defensive-minded head coach and your defense have been as bad as they have been during his time here, there's a problem.  When your defense lets Brock Osweiler complete a 14 point comeback in 4 mins, there's a problem.  When you claim the no-huddle is of no use because it doesn't let you substitute, there's a problem.

I hear you but before Kyle Shanahan who knew who Arian Foster or Alfred Morris was? Kyle Shanahan made Jordan Cameron  a fantasy football breakout his year at the browns and got him paid by the Dolphins. Last time Matt Schaub look like a viable starter was under Kyle Shanahan.

We have TY, Moncrief, Dorsett, Allen and we will have a young RB next year to go along with Gore. The Falcons defense is similar to us.... their defense stinks. I think he can come in and with a good draft he can win the division with our weapons.

17 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I just think, at this point, you go with a proven head coach.  I don't know how many more years of Luck's prime you want to take a chance on a new HC and hope it works out.  I don't hate these guys with another team, but with THIS team in particular, I think they need some proven leadership.

That's fair, i hear alot of people say he is young but he is close to 10 years in the nfl as a assistant so age and experience is definitely different in this case. I would actually like to see how Luck would do with a great offensive mind. Kyle made RG3 a rookie of the year if thats not great coaching because even Hue Jackson couldn't make him look decent.

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

Cable runs a vertical offense?  When was he ever an OC?

the modern NFL passing game centers around quick rhythmic passing ....short to intermediate.

I agree wholeheartedly I look at how quick Matt Ryan is getting the ball out of his hand which has been a problem for Luck. Kyle is calling plays to get guys open. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Come on man I just wrote a lot more about Kyle and his qualities to become head coach.  Patricia is a mystery and the hoodie assistant coaches haven't turned out to be as good when giving a shot to run the show

Well, I stand corrected....we all know so much about Kyle shanahan since Mr Too Proud informed the world about him on a fan forum.  I kid.  I don't think anyone knows how these guys will be as head coaches.  It's more of a management position than a coaching position.

yes, most of BB assistant have failed....just as most former assistants fail when promoted to HC.

11 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

That stat means diddly squat. One does not equal the other... 

Huh? Those guys all sucked badly as head coaches.. I think it proves all the genius comes from Belichick, not his coordinators.  When they leave Daddy, the other school yard bullies punch their noses in.  Notice that when Belichick loses all these "genius" 'Coordinators to HC jobs, it doesn't negatively affect his results.  Even losing Brady and Gronk in the first 4 games, they didn't skip a beat including a total beatdown of Houston with their rookie 3rd string QB.   His coordinators are irrelevant, I wouldn't touch any of them.  It means a great deal more than diddley squat that they have all failed badly as HC's.