Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis to miss the first month of the season

snkdy

18 minutes ago, twfish said:

Okay guys do it with me, Breath in, hold it while you think happy thoughts and slowly breath out. Repeat until you stop pulling your hair out.

I was already bald before this report...what you got for me?  I need something.

We all know the Colts will say week to week and it's a season ending injury.  They are virtually

never truthful - call it hopelessly optimistic.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Two to four weeks from the injury. It makes sense now why he is in a full cast, the more you move a sprained ankle the worse it can get, they seem like they are trying to fast track the healing process by setting it in a full cast.

The only problem with the cast move is that the foot and ankle don't move in that time and a lot of

muscle has to be rehabbed which just adds more time to when he finally returns to the field.  I just don't

know if 2 to 4 includes rehab time?  If not I would think another couple of weeks for rehab??

Grade 2 is a partial ligament tear. More than just a simple sprain but not quite a full tear/rupture. Will take awhile to heal and then will need extensive rehab but at least he won't need surgery. Perhaps I will bump into him at the Cryotherapy center as I've seen a few Colts players there recently. 

47 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I was already bald before this report...what you got for me?  I need something.

We all know the Colts will say week to week and it's a season ending injury.  They are virtually

never truthful - call it hopelessly optimistic.

See you didn't breath in enough and think happy thoughts or else you'd still have hair!

It's a sin to be optimistic here but I'll try anyway...

Defensive Line looks great and actually has a ton of depth 

Safety position is quite solid and Green is more ready than we though. He could be a difference maker sooner than expected. 

Luck and the 1st team offense look sharp. TY, Moncrief, and Dorsett are a deadly trio. 

And lastly, the Colts have other CBs besides Vontae. Somebody will have to step up in a major way but we'll be ok. 

In the words of A-A-Ron "R-e-l-a-x"

So we face the Lions, Broncos, Chargers and Jaguars in the 1st four weeks. We'll be lucky to go 2-2 without Vontae, Stafford, Rivers, and Bortles will pass all over us, and the Broncos can beat us now. We may go 0-4 the first 4 weeks if we're unlucky (2-2 at best).

Really POed now. Stuff like this ruins the season. Every year we either get a major injury to someone, or a collection of players getting hurt severely weakens the team. We must have the worst conditioning staff in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So we face the Lions, Broncos, Chargers and Jaguars in the 1st four weeks. We'll be lucky to go 2-2 without Vontae, Stafford, Rivers, and Bortles will pass all over us, and the Broncos can beat us now. We may go 0-4 the first 4 weeks if we're unlucky (2-2 at best).

Really POed now. Stuff like this ruins the season. Every year we either get a major injury to someone, or a collection of players getting hurt severely weakens the team. We must have the worst conditioning staff in the NFL.

Don't do it Jared!  Don't jump just yet.  Luck looks good.  The OL is getting better.  Vontae is out for a little bit but may be back and we MAY have added another good, crafty old vet CB to the stable because of it.  The offense may score 28 ppg this year, which would help.  And we have Pat "secret weapon" McAfee puttin it deep when we do have to punt.  We'll be fine so long as Andy stays in.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If we win week 1 or go at least 1-1 in the first two weeks I would be happy with just that. This team has been a SLOW starter in recent years.

2-2 to 3-1 the first 4 weeks would be a blessing. 

I feel your pain though, we often lose A GOOD player sadly. Sigh........

Just now, BOTT said:

To be fair, the woe is me routine regarding injuries gets pretty old.  It's sucks Vontae is going to miss some time, but he didn't blow his ACL or tear his achilles.

Well, when I compete in everything I do to win cash and prizes, I don't have to worry about someone else ruining it for me by getting hurt, not showing up, or some other reason. I'm in full control. So to see someone important that is talented go down on a sport that I have no control of makes me think it's a waste of time. Would honestly rather lose $1,000 in a poker tourney and get last place than see Vontae out the first month of the season, at least that would of been under my control. The team already isn't very good with him, and this just makes it a waste of time to watch when the obvious outcome is they'll pass all over us.

50 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, when I compete in everything I do to win cash and prizes, I don't have to worry about someone else ruining it for me by getting hurt, not showing up, or some other reason. I'm in full control. So to see someone important that is talented go down on a sport that I have no control of makes me think it's a waste of time. Would honestly rather lose $1,000 in a poker tourney and get last place than see Vontae out the first month of the season, at least that would of been under my control. The team already isn't very good with him, and this just makes it a waste of time to watch when the obvious outcome is they'll pass all over us.

Bandwagon fan right here....

Injuries happen... but the sun will still come up tomorrow and football will still happen.

The cowboys defense was supposed to be god-awful for the last two seasons and they ended up better than anyone could have expected..

Obviously this is a blow to our defense, but I think people might be blowing it out of proportion.  We have survived games without vontae before,  starting players like Greg toler, Cassius Vaughn,  and Darius Butler in those instances.

Out of the 7 Games vontae has missed with us, we have only allowed 300+ passing yds twice, and one was against the Patriots,  who have proven that they can do that to us even with vontae in the game. In that time we also gave up less then 200 yds in a game 3 times. 

I think playing four games with Cromartie and Robinson on the outside is way better then when we played three games with Vaughn and Butler in 2012.  Our defense gave up only 5 Tds through the air over those three weeks,  with 3 INTs and an average of 280 pass yds a game. That's only 33 more yds then our per game average last year. I think the skill difference between Cromartie/Robinson vs Butler/Vaughn can easily make up for that difference.  

Am I happy or at ease with the injury? Not even close. But I don't think that the sky is falling. As long as we have our other CBs by week one, we can get by.  

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Obviously this is a blow to our defense, but I think people might be blowing it out of proportion.  We have survived games without vontae before,  starting players like Greg toler, Cassius Vaughn,  and Darius Butler in those instances.

Out of the 7 Games vontae has missed with us, we have only allowed 300+ passing yds twice, and one was against the Patriots,  who have proven that they can do that to us even with vontae in the game. In that time we also gave up less then 200 yds in a game 3 times. 

I think playing four games with Cromartie and Robinson on the outside is way better then when we played three games with Vaughn and Butler in 2012.  Our defense gave up only 5 Tds through the air over those three weeks,  with 3 INTs and an average of 280 pass yds a game. That's only 33 more yds then our per game average last year. I think the skill difference between Cromartie/Robinson vs Butler/Vaughn can easily make up for that difference.  

Am I happy or at ease with the injury? Not even close. But I don't think that the sky is falling. As long as we have our other CBs by week one, we can get by.  

Those first 3 bold words are dangerous..... 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So...... if your Grigson, even though you've signed AC, do you think about trading for another CB?

I don't think we should.... but who knows with Grigson?

He has shown he isn't afraid to pull the trigger in the past, but his approach to this off-season was more sobering. 

I wonder if there is a cheap trade we can make like the one that landed us Davis? I don't think this is the end of the world but another cb would help. I saw someone mention trading for Milliner or the guy from Cleveland? There's probably a underperforming cb we can trade a mid round pick for to bolster the cb corp. This would help for the future to. Butler is getting older. Davis is a little older. If we can get a younger guy with talent that hasn't put it together yet I wouldn't think it would be to bad. Again I don't think we're done or anything but looking at our cbs overall I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of reasonable trade happen. 

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So...... if your Grigson, even though you've signed AC, do you think about trading for another CB?

I don't know why they would need to at this point.  There are some guys who are still looking for work like Cromartie was AND teams still haven't made any cuts yet.  There are bound to be a few guys who could help then.  The only problem would be getting them up to speed on the defense.

Seeing as next year's draft is, by all accounts, going to be a heavily defensive one for the Colts, I would rather we kept our draft picks and invested there. The last few drafts are looking to be pretty darn good from Grigson / Chuck.

His trade payoffs on the other hand have been very hit and miss...

It all depends....based on the differing opinions of the timeline.  If Schefter is correct then this hurts...It will be hard to go four games without our CB1.  We can manage, but I am betting the secondary will be picked on.  If however Will Carrol is correct and it is two to four weeks from the injury...then meh no big deal.  That would have him miss essentially one meaningful game.  He would be out for the final two preseason games, the off week, and the Lions game.  Lets hope Carrol is correct!

Well, in wk 1, we play the Lions without Megatron. I say we are up on the deal.

In wk 2, we play the Broncos without Manning or Brock. I say we are up on the deal. 

Luck will bail out our D v the Chargers in wk 3.

Jags next. I'll be there, so will let you know in due course, but we finish 3-1 for the season's first quarter.

That is why I'm not getting hysterical and consigning the season to the scrapheap before it even starts...

9 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

The only problem with the cast move is that the foot and ankle don't move in that time and a lot of

muscle has to be rehabbed which just adds more time to when he finally returns to the field.  I just don't

know if 2 to 4 includes rehab time?  If not I would think another couple of weeks for rehab??

No, a few weeks in the cast, then an evaluation.  If healed / healng in an optimal position, then rehab begins.

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

Sucks, but at least it's not a season ender.

True, we hope. But if healing doesn't go well, it could be much longer than many here anticipate.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah this could be a blessing in disguise, meaning it may keep him healthy for the stretch run playing less games assuming he does come back 100% and can play.

They won't let Davis touch the playing field in a game until he is 100%.  Just can't go out there on that at anything less.  During rehab, there are many physical tests they can use such as like the lateral hop test.  Davis would stand on the uninjured leg and hop as far as possible in an outside direction with three continuous hops. He would then stand on the injured leg and hop back to where he began (one hopes) using three continuous hops. And so on.

11 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

SON OF A _____!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on man. This is some bull. It better just be the first month. As in 4 games. We can survive with that as long as Cromartie and Robinson play well. But he cant be missing no 6 plus games.

After a few weeks in a full cast, they will evaluate the healing process.  Hopefully it will be good, they then rehab him to 100% and he plays after relatively soon in the season.  OTOH, if the deltoid ligament(s) doesn't heal as quickly as necessary, or in an non optimal way, then surgical intervention becomes possible;e.  Then the clock gets reset and recovery from the procedure timetable begins.  Let's hope that doesn't happen here, but it is not out of the realm of possibility, unfortunately.

I wonder if Davis will special shoes made for him as well? (arch support)

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You are NEVER in full control at the poker table, when the cruel Poker Gods are constantly itching to intervene on behalf of the donk luckers, as those cruel poker gods so often do.   Sadly, luck trumps skill. :-(

3 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Every year at least one or two go down and miss the start of the season, it is football and it's nature....let's hope he is truly out no more than the first four games:Gaah:

And let us not forget the cruel injury fate that befell the great Bert Jones.   Injuries are the cruel trump card.

Hey everybody maybe it's not that bad. We signed Cromartie who I thought could have a bounce back season prior to this injury. I like that signing. We brought in Robinson and Mitchel hopefully Smith gets stays healthy. That's 4 corners that are supposed to be able to play. Then we probably have to watch Butler maybe we get Brown or a surprise instead. 

Davis is our top CB no question and this sucks. We don't need to trade away picks or forfeit games. There is one guy that has that impact. If Luck is playing we can win vs anybody. 

This could work out for us in the long run if Smith is what he's supposed to be. We should find out what this kid has. It is possible our CB situation may not be that bad. I know crazy to think but Smith might be a player. Mitchel too? 32 isn't old? It's crazy stuff. 

Hopefully that's it on the injury front. I hate this time of the year. 

I don't like the looks of it. Cromartie's injury is said to have threatened his career, and he's 31. How much can we depend on him?

But I look at just his signing itself as kind of a red flag. This guy does not fit the mold of the kind of guy this franchise puts on the field. Are we that desperate for help at corner?

If so, why exactly? Is this worse than being reported?

Bad vibes here.

Robinson is already injured, and about all we've seen of Smith is his name on the injury report. Butler had so much trouble covering last season all he could do was hold to try to avoid getting torched, and against Buffalo he wasn't close enough to anyone to even do that.

But hey, our run defense should finally be fixed.

A little bit off topic but all of the training camps that I have been to, I always see Vontae Davis and Darius Butler on the sidelines not getting any reps. Occasionally going in for a couple plays but that's it. I wonder if the staff doesn't put them out there as much in fear of injury or if they think they're okay to not be in on the plays 75% of the time.

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, when I compete in everything I do to win cash and prizes, I don't have to worry about someone else ruining it for me by getting hurt, not showing up, or some other reason. I'm in full control. So to see someone important that is talented go down on a sport that I have no control of makes me think it's a waste of time. Would honestly rather lose $1,000 in a poker tourney and get last place than see Vontae out the first month of the season, at least that would of been under my control.

I'm sorry you're just now learning that you're not going to be able to control everything in life.  It's a hard lesson to learn.  Most people learn it at a much younger age but you've got to play the hand you're dealt. (heh, poker reference..get it? :D ).  

The team already isn't very good with him, and this just makes it a waste of time to watch when the obvious outcome is they'll pass all over us.

Interesting you've already decided how good this team is when we've only seen 2 preseason games.  So here's my suggestion..you say it'll be a waste of time to watch...then don't.  BTW, you know what else is a waste of time?  You throwing a toddler-class hissy fit about a player getting injured.  Just sayin' :)

Listen as long as their is a fair amount of a pass rush and you dont give the opposing QB time to look for his primary WR, We will be fine, play up man to man. 2nd week in the preseason we have some good cb just banged up. We will find out by the first real game when it counts.  

I would say that this db situation, along with Henry, Geathers, and Art, means that the Colts are going to need to outscore some folks early. I hope the O-line continues to improve. On the positive side, I see some real promise for the D if they can manage to get healthy. The D-line is starting to show the potential for some real quality depth.

I want to be optimistic, but this hurts worse than just a team losing a good player.   Of all the positions that the Colts could not afford to lose a guy, this is the one (besides QB of course).   6 of the 11 defensive starters are dealing with injuries and the Colts were not deep defensively at most of these spots.

A potent offense could alleviate some of the pressure, but I tend to agree with the poster who is hoping we come out of the first 4 games at 2-2.

Who knows, maybe someone will step up.   But with Monachino stating that he wants an attacking defense, losing Davis isn't a good start.  

None of us really know how bad the injury is. Lets RELAX. We will go 10-6 and win the Division if Andrew stays healthy. No he isn't God like some people have mentioned haha but he is Very Good when healthy. I predicted Denver would win the SB last season at the beginning of the season so trust me when I say we will do no worse than 10-6 if #12 stays healthy. We would've won the Division last season had Andrew played against the Texans here in Indy and our Defense was wishy-washy last season.