Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Its Week 6 and I'm stumped about one key element that seems to be missing

Indeee

Where's Waldo? I mean... Phillip?

2 Muffed Punts later and he's a no show with very little playing time? Is the offensive line so bad that we need TE's to block.. Haven't really seen that. Wasn't this guy our NUMBER 1 PICK and aren't usually number one picks suppose to make an impact right away? Wasn't this the guy everyone was raving about at camp? Wasn't Phillip drafted as the Colts brass viewed the loss to NE not as a testament towards our run defense or defense in general but the fact the Colts only scored 0 points in second half and nobody could get open? Wasn't this the guy who would clear out the safeties allowing our other receivers time to get open on crossing routes and under/intermediate routes?

Yes I know he caught a touchdown

I don't know about anyone else but I have yet to see anything anywhere near that resembles the Colts spreading out the defense by going 4 or 5 wide and daring the other team to stop it. Wasn't this the plan or a large part of what was to come all along?

So??......... Where in H E double hockey sticks is he?????

2 Muffed Punts later and he's a no show with very little playing time? Is the offensive line so bad that we need TE's to block.. Haven't really seen that. Wasn't this guy our NUMBER 1 PICK and aren't usually number one picks suppose to make an impact right away? Wasn't this the guy everyone was raving about at camp? Wasn't Phillip drafted as the Colts brass viewed the loss to NE not as a testament towards our run defense or defense in general but the fact the Colts only scored 0 points in second half and nobody could get open? Wasn't this the guy who would clear out the safeties allowing our other receivers time to get open on crossing routes and under/intermediate routes?

I don't know about anyone else but I have yet to see anything anywhere near that resembles the Colts spreading out the defense by going 4 or 5 wide and daring the other team to stop it. Wasn't this the plan or a large part of what was to come all along?

Fyi...both Reggie and Marvin had very little impact their first years too.....and we have a ton of receiving options.. also, recall Moncrief, barely got the ball till the 2nd half of the season last year.

So relax my minion, all will be fine

Did you know, that before society and the nfl became fixated on instant gratification and immediate results, there was a thing called development where they drafted them and didn't start them immediately. Crazy I know.

Those were the good days.

So??......... Where in H E double hockey sticks is he?????[/quote

Great post you really show a lot of insight and understanding of the game and what this team has had to overcome this season.

You deserve a Shaking My Head Icon! Very little understanding, just huffing and puffing hot air.

...This is the game Dorsett was drafted for.

NE took T.Y. out of the games by doubling him.  We drafted Dorsett to be on the field if this happens again so we have 2 dynamic deep threats on the field same time.  I hope Dorsett, T.Y. and A.J see a lot of time together Sunday night.

Honestly, ! can see the reasoning for keeping Dorsett off the field so much to this point being 2 fold:

1: he's a rookie and been establishing himself with  the QB, offense and NFL speed.  To clean up things from a rookie standpoint and polish himself some more.

2:  Keeping Dorsett off the field so much up to this point has kept him off B.B.'s radar so much.  Hard to game plan for someone when there is not much tape to use.  Bring him in A LOT this coming game, T.Y. on one side, Dorsett on the other, and A.J./Montcrief in the slot, or use 4 WR sets alot also.  We have not done much 4WR sets lately, so now would be the time.  Make them spread thier defense out, then run it down their throats with Gore/Bradshaw over and over, and when they creep their safeties up, let the WR's go........

I am no NFL wide out......but I would swear I saw him run a couple routes they way I ran em' at Charles park, juke to the river hit you at the big tree.....I think he still has some learnin' to do....but he flashes of impact....somethin' I never did at Charlie park.....

Fyi...both Reggie and Marvin had very little impact their first years too.....and we have a ton of receiving options.. also, recall Moncrief, barely got the ball till the 2nd half of the season last year.

So relax my minion, all will be fine

That's not true in the case of Harrison.  Harrison was an immediate starter who had 60+ catches, 860+ yards and 8 TDs as a rookie on a run heavy team with Jim Harbaugh and Paul Justin throwing to him.

Wayne, yes he did not start consistently until his 3rd year.  I remember a lot of people on the IndyStar forum calling him a bust and wanting the Colts to draft his replacement every year until 2004 or 2005.

That's not true in the case of Harrison. Harrison was an immediate starter who had 60+ catches, 860+ yards and 8 TDs as a rookie on a run heavy team with Jim Harbaugh and Paul Justin throwing to him.

Wayne, yes he did not start consistently until his 3rd year. I remember a lot of people on the IndyStar forum calling him a bust and wanting the Colts to draft his replacement every year until 2004 or 2005.

Martin is a special case though :-) possibly the 2nd greatest receiver of all time. But usually receivers really don't come to form (regardless of draft position) until their 3rd year. It's been know as the receivers magic year for quite some time now. Special cases change that but even Antonio Brown ramped it up his 3rd year after a successful 2nd year. It's just the process for receivers in the NFL.

Martin is a special case though :-) possibly the 2nd greatest receiver of all time. But usually receivers really don't come to form (regardless of draft position) until their 3rd year. It's been know as the receivers magic year for quite some time now. Special cases change that but even Antonio Brown ramped it up his 3rd year after a successful 2nd year. It's just the process for receivers in the NFL.

No doubt.  I was only point out that Harrison made an immediate impact as a rookie.

Sounds like you are amongst the group of ____ that just don`t know football yet.

The kid is being developed as was Moncrief, who is coming along JUST FINE. Observe and learn young one.

Maybe, just maybe the Colts are holding back. Purposely losing the first two games in ugly fashion to keep teams, media and the critics at bay. Then do just enough to creep out a win when necessary.I don't think Andrew Luck was even injured to the extent of how they made it seem. We'll played Colts..well played.

You should change your name too ColtsConspiracy lmao

Dorsett was a luxury pick not a necessity pick! Therefore they the coaching staff our finding it hard to find playing time for him. They should go to some 4 WR sets and have TY and Dorsett on the same side to much speed to cover, if the OL holds up!

remember, he was a VERY low first round pick.  you get what you get from about pick 15 and down.  the further down you go, the more watered-down a pick is.

If jerry rice said that he used stick em too then marvin is THE best receiver of all time. haha

At least Anderson and Parry are proving great value picks.

As for Dorsett, he still has time this year to make a name for himself.

I felt at the time he was drafted that IF he wasn't an immediate contributor that Grigs is going to look foolish for the pick. I think he's going to be fine

Did you know, that before society and the nfl became fixated on instant gratification and immediate results, there was a thing called development where they drafted them and didn't start them immediately. Crazy I know.

IMO, you draft a project after 1st round.  You only draft a project in the 1st if your team is set.

IMO, you draft a project after 1st round. You only draft a project in the 1st if your team is set.

Has nothing to do with instant gratification.  Has to do with wasting draft picks.  If every draft you draft a player in the 1st round that is going to take 3 years to hit the field, you better have a great team.  Most of the players drafted in the 1st round and needs 2-3 years to start were over drafted (team reached down for them).

Look at it this way, we have a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder starting while are 1st round rides the pine.